Trade Targets 2025

4 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

I am super comfortable if those are the only 2 mature agers we bring in and invest the rest of our resources in hitting the draft this year.

So am I and I think from his post @dazzledavey36 is also happy 

IMO bringing some quality young mids in to go with our mature players and the mid age range Rivers, Mcvee types will be more beneficial long term 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Sir Windsor said:

Yep they have a total of ~1250 points in this years draft. THat is not even a top 10 pick, for which Ashcroft will absolutely go for. They have to get busy in the trade period and will undoubtedly auction of their pick 17/18 for the highest bidder. It however goes both ways in that clubs will know the desperation of the Lions and will not look to give too much more. 

We are in a good position here to offer up ANBs comp (#25) and 37/38 for appox 1200 in points, which gives Lions a +200. As it stands not many other clubs can improve the offer with only Richmond and GC having multiple Round 2 picks, which is not worth their while to move up 5-6 spots in the 2nd round and lose a pick at the same time.

Lions will likely need to target another Round 2 pick with a future first as nobody in their right mind will exchange their current 1st rounder. So if we miss out we may be able to position ourselves for a F1. So its hard to see them getting both their men unless they put up F1 and F2 picks for trade.

In the mix is our likely FS Kalani White in 2025. We will have to assess the draft picks we need next year.

At this stage he is not regarded as a 1st rounder maybe a late 2nd or 3rd rounder. But things can change.

He has been playing back and we will have a couple of spots available when May and TMc hang up the boots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

IMO bringing some quality young mids in to go with our mature players and the mid age range Rivers, Mcvee types will be more beneficial long term 

Happy from my end.

I could see us perhaps targeting perhaps a midfielder just for depth but that might come late in the draft.

If there was a time to top up on elite young talent through the draft it's this year.

• Like 12

Whilst I was initially surprised we are even thing of bringing in a soon to be 33-year-old three-club ruckman in Tom Campbell, I have tempered my feelings somewhat after checking his file.

Firstly he is regarded as a great clubman - won Saints award in 2023 - and we need that sort of person.

Secondly he had a super final two months in VFL once he returned from injury - on stats by far the best VFL ruckman during that period torching Southport's mature age prospect Brayden Crossley and Willy's Tom Downie and pretty much breaking even with Essendon's Nick Bryan.

As I've stated elsewhere, we need a high-quality mature-age VFL standard tapman to be our back-up for a Gawny injury whilst we wait and see if Will Verrall develops into an AFL quality ruck. At the end of 2025 season we should know if Will is going to step up to that level - he's nowhere near yet but another big pre-season may make all the difference.

Aside from Campbell I would have said the other options via the rookie draft were Crossley, Norwood's Margarey Medal winner Harry Boyd or even Coburg's Cooper Keogh - the latter of whom rarely takes a mark, but can tap.

As a result Campbell is probably a better option for the one-season back-up quick fix. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

Can we give the Lions our future first for their current first?

They need picks in this years draft to accumulate points for their F/S and Academy players. 

Also would you really bank on finishing higher than Lions next year? And the only way we come out on top is if we win next years GF...which may only match it if Lions win this year. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Whilst I was initially surprised we are even thing of bringing in a soon to be 33-year-old three-club ruckman in Tom Campbell, I have tempered my feelings somewhat after checking his file.

Firstly he is regarded as a great clubman - won Saints award in 2023 - and we need that sort of person.

Secondly he had a super final two months in VFL once he returned from injury - on stats by far the best VFL ruckman during that period torching Southport's mature age prospect Brayden Crossley and Willy's Tom Downie and pretty much breaking even with Essendon's Nick Bryan.

As I've stated elsewhere, we need a high-quality mature-age VFL standard tapman to be our back-up for a Gawny injury whilst we wait and see if Will Verrall develops into an AFL quality ruck. At the end of 2025 season we should know if Will is going to step up to that level - he's nowhere near yet but another big pre-season may make all the difference.

Aside from Campbell I would have said the other options via the rookie draft were Crossley, Norwood's Margarey Medal winner Harry Boyd or even Coburg's Cooper Keogh - the latter of whom rarely takes a mark, but can tap.

As a result Campbell is probably a better option for the one-season back-up quick fix. 

Getting Boyd is like a new Jacko as he is younger and also has forward skills etc. 

Not sure I would be bypassing him for now and the future and he might be a complete bonus in our team also. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

That’s not totally true Dazzle, despite the rhetoric being put out by Houston we were very much the destination club for him. It’s nothing to do with the Petracca story it’s all to do with us letting Port know we weren’t interested in their asking price. We will be going to the draft this year unless some too good to be true left field offer comes in 

this was also my read on the situation. It had nothing to so with any Trac ordeal. It was always to do with us saying no to pick 5 after the original dealings was when we looked to have a teen pick. When we dropped to pick 5 WE called the deal off. Was convenient for the Port/Houston camp to use the Trac situation as a story and not Melbourne pulling out.

Edited by BangBnagBang
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

We are trying for 2 picks in the top 15 and another pick in the 15-30 range.

This is a mild deviation from our previously stated plans of 2 picks in the top 20 and supplement other list spots with mature age players/FA/trade.

I had heard we thought we might be able to snag 3 picks within the top 20 but without trading out a serious talent, I can’t see how we do it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, JJJ said:

This is a mild deviation from our previously stated plans of 2 picks in the top 20 and supplement other list spots with mature age players/FA/trade.

I had heard we thought we might be able to snag 3 picks within the top 20 but without trading out a serious talent, I can’t see how we do it.

5, 25 (ANB), then who's buying our F1????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BangBnagBang said:

this was also my read on the situation. It had nothing to so with any Trac ordeal. It was always to do with us saying no to pick 5 after the original dealings was when we looked to have a teen pick. When we dropped to pick 5 WE called the deal off. Was convenient for the Port/Houston camp to use the Trac situation as a story and not Melbourne pulling out.

Not sure it’s that black and white.

The asking price might have proven too much for us, that’s true given where we finished. But to say we exited the deal conflicts with what I was told first hand, post Houston’s camp moving on from us as a destination. We were still in there talking with his management trying to keep the embers warm.

The truth lies somewhere in between I suspect. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I'm guessing our future first will be included in some capacity?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I would be extremely happy with two picks in the top 15 and another in the 15 - 30. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BangBnagBang said:

5, 25 (ANB), then who's buying our F1????

Gold Coast has the Bulldogs' first rounder, which is currently pick 12. That's probably just after they'd expect to get a bid for Lombard. They have enough picks after that to easily cover that bid, so it could be something like 25 + F1 for 12 + 20, or just F1 for 12. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Splitting 5 perhaps ?!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I think others have mentioned we are talking with clubs who need points for academy/father son picks.

Gold Coast and Brisbane will trade their picks in that range (sounds like pick 6 will be Richmond bound in Rioli deal), so we’re a good chance for one of those.

We have Sydney’s 2nd rounder & two 3rd round picks to add to a bundle for points matching purposes.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Can’t see us splitting 5. Throw a blanket over picks 1-6 before the first talent cliff comes in, we won’t want to drop out of that spot.

The top bracket of 1-6 don’t seem to have the same X factor as previous years and the next level is fairly close and very deep. 
If we are going to end up with 2 picks inside 15 and another in the 25-30 range I don’t mind splitting if it means holding onto our F1st. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Gold Coast and Brisbane will trade their picks in that range (sounds like pick 6 will be Richmond bound in Rioli deal), so we’re a good chance for one of those.

Yep. The Gold Coast and Brisbane picks will be available but they'll each want very different things in exchange for them. Gold Coast will want future picks and Brisbane will want 2024 points. Luckily we have both. 

If we get 25 for ANB then we'll have pick 5 plus 1976 additional draft points. Brisbane currently have 1281 points in total and would need 2014 points to cover a pick 2 bid on Ashcroft. So they will have to get about 750 points from somewhere (about pick 25 worth) for this draft. 

A deal like 25+38+45+50+61 +F2 for 17+F1 would probably work out for both parties. We'd end up with a top 20 pick this year, plus slide up a round next year, and Brisbane would have enough draft points to cover Ashcroft whilst not destroying their draft hand next year. If that doesn't work then we could keep 25 and just trade some of our late picks to Brisbane for a future 2nd and 3rd. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

Would be a good outcome given a lot of what we require is in this draft

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

am super comfortable if those are the only 2 mature agers we bring in and invest the rest of our resources in hitting the draft this year.

For all the talk of trades and Tim Lamb, the trade pool is generally pretty shallow and not all clubs dip into it. In any season there are clubs who don't trade in any players, or perhaps only one.

• Like 4

Ollie Lord at Port the latest to been possibly looking for a move.  We should go hard at this kid, really like what he has done in his games at Port.  [censored] year with injuries this year, but a good young key fwd

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1