Trade Targets 2025

Full moon tonight !!!  Some wild ideas here.  

Anyone thinking we should ask the Swans about Angus Sheldrick.  He is probably looking elsewhere for opportunities.  Showed a lot in 2023 but injuries this year have restricted opportunity.  Only 20, but shown good form in last 2 weeks in VFL games since returning from injury.  Fits the mould of young, competitive and excellent skills.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We’ll lose Ben Brown and Schace from the list, Melksham future uncertain, we’ve got to have at least some sort of experience / depth in the forward line if one of the troops you mentioned go down, he’d be solid insurance, out of contract and just turned 30 so still a couple years left at least 

If we're going after Houston, we're a certainty to go after a Walker, Dixon, Membrey type, rightly or wrongly

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

Kane Cornes The Age article posted anywhere on here? Thanks in advance. 

Crux is we are ageing, made mistakes signing Oliver, trading Grundy, not trading Petty, signing Brayshaw, and losing our depth. Then saying the AFL will give us less prime time games, a crack at the 16k crowd last round and a gag about fans cooling off at the snowfields.

Absolutely nothing new, just a rehash of what he's been bleating about for the last 12 months.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Full moon tonight !!!  Some wild ideas here.  

Anyone thinking we should ask the Swans about Angus Sheldrick.  He is probably looking elsewhere for opportunities.  Showed a lot in 2023 but injuries this year have restricted opportunity.  Only 20, but shown good form in last 2 weeks in VFL games since returning from injury.  Fits the mould of young, competitive and excellent skills.  

Wouldn’t be the worst option. He was in JVRs draft as well so would have a few familiar faces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

Crux is we are ageing, made mistakes signing Oliver, trading Grundy, not trading Petty, signing Brayshaw, and losing our depth. Then saying the AFL will give us less prime time games, a crack at the 16k crowd last round and a gag about fans cooling off at the snowfields.

Absolutely nothing new, just a rehash of what he's been bleating about for the last 12 months.

Ridiculous revisionism.

When we re-signed Clarry he was the best midfielder in the game, and x3 (or was it x4 at that stage?) best and fairest, x2 AFLCA award winner, x3 AA and premiership player.

Sometimes I wonder if people are serious on here...

• Like 14
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Ridiculous revisionism.

When we re-signed Clarry he was the best midfielder in the game, and x3 (or was it x4 at that stage?) best and fairest, x2 AFLCA award winner, x3 AA and premiership player.

I disagree. He was the best midfielder who we knew had off field challenges, some affecting our team culture. 

Edited by Lil_red_fire_engine

9 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Ridiculous revisionism.

This is a recap of the Kane Cornes article in The Age. I definitely don't think that...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

I disagree. He was the best midfielder who we knew had off field challenges, some affecting our team culture. 

Dusty was in a very similar position and Richmond signed him to a long term deal.

His off field challenges didn't seem to have a major impact on team culture between 2021-2023.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Dusty was in a very similar position and Richmond signed him to a long term deal.

His off field challenges didn't seem to have a major impact on team culture between 2021-2023.

dusty also didn't rip a tendon off the bone shortly after signing the 'lifetime' deal nor see the team's fortunes plummet around him 

clayton will get back to his better self with a full pre-season under his belt and more control over his personal circumstances

he might never get back to his absolute best, which was the greatest midfielder i've seen at the dees

but i'm confident - based upon the highlights of games in 2024 - that he will get more consistency back into his performances, which is the big difference in his performances since the injury last year in the wet vs the pear

• Like 4

The Tigers are a club I’d be looking to trade our future first for one of their first round picks this year 

They’re likely going to be flush with picks in the top 30 if Bolton and Baker leave, but might want to trade a couple of those into 2025 to stagger their rebuild 

Food for thought 

• Like 4

On 07/08/2024 at 20:45, chook fowler said:

I see Tarryn Thomas may be given a life line from the Saints. That’s despicable. If it was us I would not renew my membership.

The AFL allowing this guy to come back into the fold is a disgrace. This game has a massive female following, and as one of those followers, we deserve better than to allow players to get away with the sort of despicable behaviour that Thomas has displayed repeatedly.

If he stepped foot at our club I would never buy a membership again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

The AFL allowing this guy to come back into the fold is a disgrace. This game has a massive female following, and as one of those followers, we deserve better than to allow players to get away with the sort of despicable behaviour that Thomas has displayed repeatedly.

I second that. After finding out one of my best mate’s had been beaten up by her husband for years- I would be appalled if we gave this creep a chance. Footy is great, but as I get older I realise it is a small part of what is important. 
Being an inclusive club with morals, one that my 2 girls are proud to be a part of, is more important to me.. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

AFL aren't, his future is pending his court case.  If found guilty he will ba banned

Edited by Travy14

Think we need to get one of Houston/Cumming/Lucosius 

Houston is the main target and is the perfect replacement for Brayshaw, not so much the midfield minutes but Rivers picks up that.

Cumming is classy and will play a simmilar role to Houston, think he could be a bargain get.

Lucosius has the skills of a star player, I think he is a silky HBF not a forward.  Completely reactionary to him being dropped this week,  but if there was some uneasiness there it be worth picking up the phone.  Think he needs a change and apply himself more.  Looks a little lazy to me.

7 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

AFL aren't, his future is pending his court case.  If found guilty he will ba banned

He should be banned now. This guy has had more cases against him previously and North themselves admitted that they’ve tried and failed to rehabilitate him. He doesn’t belong in this league. We can’t be rewarding someone who is a repeated offender in this space with a fat paycheck just because he can kick a footy. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, Mickey said:

The day I rely on Kane Cornes will go down in history ..He and Morris are vying for the McGuire award ( Looka at me !!!)

• Haha 1

Jack Lukosius was brought up on the midweek tackle a week ago as potentially being up for trade, not too sure how much substance it has.

I think a few mentioned on this forum that they were interested in him and his disposal by foot. Could be had for a mid-late 2nd round pick, maybe even less. 

Edited by John Demonic

https://www.zerohanger.com/former-top-two-draft-pick-one-to-watch-ahead-of-off-season-afl-trade-news-153804/

Gold Coast tall Jack Lukosius has been flagged as "one to watch" this off-season as the Suns' own list planning could see the former Pick 2 selection 'squeezed out' of Carrara.

Lukosius, a product out of South Australia, has long been linked to a potential return to his home state despite inking a four-year deal that has him tied to the Suns for the next two years.

His placing in a Suns jumper has fluctuated over the course of his 115-game career, with the 23-year-old utilised in attack, defence and on the wing after being drafted as one of the best forwards in his class in 2018 - a pool that included teammate Ben King.

In Damien Hardwick's first year at the helm of the league's second-youngest club, Lukosius has spent time at either end of the field and has struggled to have the same impact on the game as he did last year when he booted a career-high 39 goals from 22 matches in a promising partnership with King.

While the latter has taken his game to new heights in 2024, Lukosius has somewhat plateaued - booting more than two goals on just one occasion since the club's season opener against Richmond.

Amid Hardwick's reported interest in luring Richmond dasher Daniel Rioli to the Gold Coast, News Corp's Jay Clark has earmarked Lukosius as a potential player of interest ahead of this year's trade period.

"He's one to watch and he's a bit tied up in the Richmond situation," Clark told the Midweek Tackle. 

"Jack Lukosius' future at Gold Coast does really feel like it's a bit up in the air at the moment.

Gold Coast Suns pair Jack Lukosius and Zak Evans compete for the ball at training in 2024 (Image via Gold Coast FC/AFL Photos)

"Because if Daniel Rioli goes north to join forces with Damien Hardwick up there at the Suns, then does that squeeze out Jack Lukosius or does that make his future a little bit uncertain?

"Certainly there's a bit of talk around the traps that the Suns could look at a move to bring in Rioli and maybe Lukosius is on the way out."

Both Adelaide and Port Adelaide could hold an interest in Luksoius this year, with the Power potentially a more suitable landing spot as they enter a period of change for their key position stocks.

The Power currently don't have an early selection for this year's draft and would be reluctant to part with further picks, however they could attain a stronger draft hand if defender Dan Houston's links to a Victorian return grow stronger.

Adelaide might be in the running for Lukosius, but the Crows will need to hold onto draft selections for 2024 father-son prospect Tyler Welsh, who would be viewed as a key forward in their future planning alongside Darcy Fogarty and Riley Thilthorpe, while their defensive assets are already formidable.