Christian Petracca’s 2024 Season Ending Injuries

3 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

So many people letting our medic/coaching staff off the hook here. 

It was beyond obvious that he was in serious trouble, and putting him back on the ground was some of the dumbest [censored] I’ve seen from our club in recent times.  

Add this to the never-ending list of questions to be asked of Goodwin & co. 

The medical staff did their job. The assessed Trac at quarter time, diagnosed that he had likely cracked some ribs, and while in some discomfort he was able to breathe and did not display any of the red flags for organ damage. If he had difficulty breathing or had shown sides of organ failure the they would have sent him to hospital immediately. When he didn't improve and wasn't able to perform he came off and was subbed out of the game.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

On 11/06/2024 at 09:40, Scipio said:

Exactly this. May does the same thing any chance he gets, as he should. The result was just incredibly unfortunate. Moore is a genuinely good bloke and not a dirty player - this isn't a Maynard-type situation.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the Coll player on Trac's other side bumped him into Moore's knee. Very unfortunate but purely accidental the whole thing

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

So the narrative now created by the media and gobbled up by footy fans all over social media is that Melbourne are at fault for causing Tracc’s injuries and that we have form because we also caused Brayshaw’s after not taking him off when he was kneed in the head. 

It’s time for the Club to stand up for itself and put something out from the top. Not bloody Alan Richardson. Roffey, the phantom, has been silent amidst all the 💩 slinging since last year. Stand up. You couldn’t deliver a training base, so do something useful. 

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Absolutely shattered for our star. 

The club is so damn lucky that the Pies didn’t choose to target his injury when he came back on, otherwise there would be absolute hell to pay. 

Sorry to say we ain’t in the ‘hell paying’ business.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

So the narrative now created by the media and gobbled up by footy fans all over social media is that Melbourne are at fault for causing Tracc’s injuries and that we have form because we also caused Brayshaw’s after not taking him off when he was kneed in the head. 

It’s time for the Club to stand up for itself and put something out from the top. Not bloody Alan Richardson. Roffey, the phantom, has been silent amidst all the 💩 slinging since last year. Stand up. You couldn’t deliver a training base, so do something useful. 

Heat is definitely on. Almost feels like an attempt to open a rift between club and player. 

• Like 2

On 11/06/2024 at 23:06, Dr. Gonzo said:

Australian Football is a contact sport, always has been.

Indeed.

Except it used to protect the player who was skilful enough to manoeuvre to the front position. A push in the back to a player in the front position, especially in a marking contest used to be illegal and would result in a free kick to the player receiving that push in the back.

In the last 5-10 years (approx), the rules have changed and players are actually allowed to place their hands in the back of players in front of them to push out of the way to gain an advantage in a marking contest.

This has been exploited by players knowing that within the rules, contact can now be made in the back, and knees are now being allowed into players backs in marking contests. You can't blame players seeking to gain advantage if it is within the rules.

The placing of knees and shins  has always been allowed in the back and on the shoulder for "species" but more and more - under this lax push in the back rule - it is being allowed for gutless driving of the knees into the backs of opponents to unfairly out-manoeuvre those players who have skilfully obtained front position.

Examples of this with tragic injuries have most recently surfaced with Christian Petracca suffering 4 punctured lungs, a lacerated spleen and a hole in his lung. This also occurred with a knee to Stephen May to his ribs earlier this year - although not in a marking contest. This also occurred in 2017 to Melbourne player Tim Smith who suffered a punctured lung from a knee in his back from Tom Lynch in the ANZAC eve clash of that year.

We saw the rules for Holding the ball change very quickly when certain coaches complained about Charlie Curnow being allowed to hold the ball and be swing around before being allowed to kick the ball without penalty.

I'm hoping that coaches/media/supporters do the same and get outraged about the AFL allowing players to come from behind and drive knees into their opponents backs causing terrible injuries.

A speccie, when a player can land on another players shoulders to take a high mark should be preserved.

But, a push in the back is a push in the back. A knee in the back is an extreme version of this. Both should return to be illegal and umpires should award an immediate free kick. 

This will avoid injuries to players who play fairly and stamp out grubs who drive their knees into players backs to gain an unfair advantage in marking contests.

• Like 7

Feel for Trac, he has given the club and supporters so much and been pretty selfless when placing his teammates ahead of himself.

But let's be honest, the season is done and now is the time for him to rest (assuming reports are true) and come back next year fully healed.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

As the head of the footy department Alan Richardson is the only person to make a statement re how Trac's injury was handled by the medicos. There is no story here, Trac passed the tests and any club would have cleared him to return to the field in the second quarter. I would be worried if the President starts talking on football matters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

16 hours ago, Flower Magic said:

As opposed to me being rendered speechless after the last two games.

Or the playing group and coaching staff being insipid! Not to mention a President who is invisible ! bad and sad times!

Edited by picket fence
  • Facepalm 1

Hopefully Trac's recovery runs smoothly and his spleen fully recovers. Based on a recovery time of 2 - 2.5 months for a spleen to fully heal and return to full contact and that Trac will need to be off legs for at least the first 4 weeks before being able to perform light aerobic activity, I cannot see him being able to be available for senior footy for at least 10 weeks. Pencil him in for round 24 when we play Collingwood for a top 4 spot or put him on ice if come round 24 we are ruled out of challenging in finals.

The upside to all of this is that our entire team that has become too reliant on Trac will need to lift significantly if we are to challenge in September. Regardless of where we end up this season we will learn alot about our list and ability to adapt to our tweaked game style. Dees!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

A tragic turn of events. I was hoping that he'd gotten away with a lower grade rupture for his health's sake. 

This injury has been too real and has gone beyond the question of how long he'll be off the field for, a man's health and future health is at stake. 

Questions of who is responsible and potential reviews, I'd like to think there will be a time and place for that. It just isn't right now for me, I really hope Christian can make a 100% full recovery. After that box is ticked off I will hope that he can return to playing eventually and getting back to what he does best.

We love you mate and we're with you all the way. 

• Like 9
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, chookrat said:

Hopefully Trac's recovery runs smoothly and his spleen fully recovers. Based on a recovery time of 2 - 2.5 months for a spleen to fully heal and return to full contact and that Trac will need to be off legs for at least the first 4 weeks before being able to perform light aerobic activity, I cannot see him being able to be available for senior footy for at least 10 weeks. Pencil him in for round 24 when we play Collingwood for a top 4 spot or put him on ice if come round 24 we are ruled out of challenging in finals.

The upside to all of this is that our entire team that has become too reliant on Trac will need to lift significantly if we are to challenge in September. Regardless of where we end up this season we will learn alot about our list and ability to adapt to our tweaked game style. Dees!

I thought we might

But, let's face it - we're kidding ourselves

I would be shocked to see him back this year. 
Following Dustin Martin's kidney injury a couple of years ago, it was shocking to see how much weight, fitness and conditioning he lost after such a long hospitalisation and recovery.  For a player as big and powerful as Petracca to get back to anything resembling match fitness would be remarkable and may even be asking a bit much from him.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

"Thankful for all the love and support I’ve received these past few days. While my season may have come to an end, I’m grateful I still have the opportunity to give it my all again in 2025. In the meantime, Ill be cheering the boys on from the sidelines and making some tasty meals in the kitchen"

His Insta post

Edited by roy11
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

• Demonland changed the title to Trac’s 2024 Season Over

Our Rd 23 encounter with Collingwood has to have some sought of player initiated thuggery. ANything we can do to diminish their finals hopes. 

All within the rules of the game of course so Corkies of all varieties even a few rib ticklers.  I'm prepared to take a honorable loss if it means they go into finals down a few of their stars. 

We have to respond and respond big time, they have the wood over us and we have to exert some physicality to at least have some mental ascendancy going into 2025. Scoreboard payback will just not cut it. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, roy11 said:

"Thankful for all the love and support I’ve received these past few days. While my season may have come to an end, I’m grateful I still have the opportunity to give it my all again in 2025. In the meantime, Ill be cheering the boys on from the sidelines and making some tasty meals in the kitchen"

His Insta post

Struggling to contain the emotion 🥹😢😭

This '... I’m grateful I still have the opportunity to give it my all again in 2025...' sounds like it could have been really tragic.

He is one of life's gentlemen and a great human.  Wouldn't wish this on anyone but It is so sad to see this happen to such a guy, a guy who gives his all to his teammates, club and fans.  Always with a smile.

Love him to bits, 😘Christian.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

Just now, Gawndy the Great said:

Our Rd 23 encounter with Collingwood has to have some sought of player initiated thuggery. ANything we can do to diminish their finals hopes. 

All within the rules of the game of course so Corkies of all varieties even a few rib ticklers.  I'm prepared to take a honorable loss if it means they go into finals down a few of their stars. 

We have to respond and respond big time, they have the wood over and we have to exert some physicality to at least have some mental ascendancy. Scoreboard will just not cut it. 

Agree.

IN: Rod Grinter, Carl Ditterich, Andy Goodwin

• Like 2

No doubt the real victim Darcy Moore (like that other thug Maynard) will get heaps of sympathetic publicity now

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1