Christian Petracca’s 2024 Season Ending Injuries

17 minutes ago, Flower Magic said:

Incorrect, this comment by Trac is on the melbournefc Insta page: "Im responsible for putting myself out there by the way for people talking about the medicos."

Ah, sorry. You said Trac's insta feed, which is where I'd looked. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flower Magic said:

So you must believe that Trac is telling porkies, given that his post on the melbournefc Insta page says this: "Im responsible for putting myself out there by the way for people talking about the medicos." And of course you must have personal knowledge that "a doctor would have to sign it off", maybe you are a former club doctor.

I never said he lied. I have no doubt Trac said he was fine to go back on and try to play thru the pain. But if the doctor turned around and said sorry we think you may have internal injuries, you need to go to hospital, there is no way known that Trac would or could overrule the doctor. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

I feel his pain. I had a cycling accident 12 years ago with similar injuries.

Can't believe he tried to play on.

If we're not in finals contention he should take the rest of the season off. 

• Like 2

@speed demon  Thanks for cutting through the spin.

So many questions are raised by this but the important thing is the lad gets the best treatment and a full recovery.

Footy concerns are a far off concern.

• Clap 1

4 hours ago, monoccular said:

He was, initially after medical assessment, not subbed.  

After reassessment he was subbed and sent to hospital.

In retrospect he would have been better off being subbed at Q time - he wasn't then was.

Clinical assessment and reassessment always occurs in trauma.  Diagnoses are not always apparent the first time.  Changing findings demands changing plans.

We will just have to agree to disagree, especially on the question of "totally negligent of the club".

so with all what you have said today it comes out that un-qualified person made the call to get trac back on the field.... that being the man himself. God your posts in a short amount of time haven't aged well have they now?

2 hours ago, watchtheeyes said:

I’m getting so sick of the desperate pile on the club has been subjected to from everyone outside, and seemingly many others inside the club… the furore around him getting put back on the field is the next example.

The AFL community, and especially the media, have been death riding Melbourne since the finals last year.. starting with the exit, continuing with May’s Collingwood comments and for just about every week thereafter.

Should Petracca have gone back on? No with hindsight… was a single person saying that when he ran back on? No.. it was, how brave.. 

Do you really think they would’ve just tapped his chest a few times and said, “you’ll be right son, off you go”. I have no doubt due process was followed, as the club will no doubt be forced in to saying in a statement of reply.

Don’t get sucked in by the garbage media commentary.. This is your Dees. Stick by them.

Excuse me...   duty of care.... due dilligence...quality of medical advice ?? 

But stay fat with the club...

Did you really read what you wrote...

You don't put anyone at risk.

It's just footy

Obviously the decision was wrong. Hindsight is wonderful yes...  but why was he allowed back beggars serious scrutiny.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, watchtheeyes said:

I’m getting so sick of the desperate pile on the club has been subjected to from everyone outside, and seemingly many others inside the club… the furore around him getting put back on the field is the next example.

The AFL community, and especially the media, have been death riding Melbourne since the finals last year.. starting with the exit, continuing with May’s Collingwood comments and for just about every week thereafter.

Should Petracca have gone back on? No with hindsight… was a single person saying that when he ran back on? No.. it was, how brave.. 

Do you really think they would’ve just tapped his chest a few times and said, “you’ll be right son, off you go”. I have no doubt due process was followed, as the club will no doubt be forced in to saying in a statement of reply.

Don’t get sucked in by the garbage media commentary.. This is your Dees. Stick by them.

We’ll said, we’ve been bashed by the media & other clubs supporters relentlessly for 9 months, the club hasn’t handled it well, but the pile on has been horrendous 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Watson11 said:

Are you a doctor?  3-12 week recovery according to this site.  
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17953-ruptured-spleen

Also life threatening.  He should not have been sent back on if the doctor saw the incident on TV as it was right into the spleen/kidney area.

We had 2 years when Burgo was at the club where this stuff didn’t happen (injured players being sent back on).  But it was a regular occurrence pre 2020 and post 2021.  

the loss of burgess has had a seriously negative effect on our performance

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Billy said:

Yep he should’ve just run out of the way, how dare he help out the backline 

Maybe you should re read what you’ve written before posting 

Must have been the terrible failure of a coach’s instructions that he get in Moore’s way. By the way he was in the forward line as I recall. 

2 hours ago, Monbon said:

To me that's the definition of thuggery. You're saying it's okay to use your knee as an offensive weapon. ...

Mason 😎 Cox say it is. 

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

It's gone now, I wonder if he was told to take it down by the club. Doesn't really help the argument if he's overruling medical staff

These decisions are made after discussion between two adults, the doctor and the player.   If there was any imperative overriding danger the doctor would of course overrule. 
But that may not of course fit the narrative that the whole club is dysfunctional 

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Nup, his season is DONE! If players can now call the shots, then that is a disgrace,! Surely medical people need to be above that???

See my previous answer. 

1 hour ago, Monbon said:

No-one's talking about 'nice'. I'm talking about a game that has been forced bit by bit to rescue itself from a very violent history. Just as the Dippers, Leigh Mathews and Don Scotts and Dermies, and other fundamental violent on-field criminals have been weeded out - mainly because the VFL/AFL could no longer afford the monetary repercussions - it's also time to remove the other legalized acts of violence and thuggery to protect those who simply want to play a sport called AFL. Just about every other code has removed the risk to life, limb and organs, when will the AFL follow suit?????  Or maybe, you just like sticking your knees into another human being who happens to play for an opposing 'sporting team'? 

Will the AFL have the guts to make a move on this?  Include knees in the back as “charging”.  I doubt it. 

6 minutes ago, poggers said:

so with all what you have said today it comes out that un-qualified person made the call to get trac back on the field.... that being the man himself. God your posts in a short amount of time haven't aged well have they now?

See above. 

Unless it is cut and dried (as in failing concussion tests or a pneumothorax) then patient and doctor consult, discuss and decide.  That is how it works. Do you really think the doc said don’t go back out, and Tracc said no?  They are both adults. Have you never had a discussion with a doctor on a treatment plan and discussed options?  It woukd seem very reasonable for doc to say “no obvious serious injury, so if you want to try and see, ok. But we will review soon”. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

It's just footy

Obviously the decision was wrong. Hindsight is wonderful yes...  but why was he allowed back beggars serious scrutiny.

See my subsequent post.. I don’t accept that there was a lack of duty of care (ie. appropriate due process was followed)

Reported tonight by Tom Morris. Trac was taken to the theatre in the early morning (no waiting around) at one stage a splenectomy was being considered, that's serious.

As previously mentioned, the radiology team manages the splenic bleeding to close the bleeders then surgical repair as the next step if step one doesn't stem the bleeding. Splenectomy (removal) is the absolute last option and is done as a last resort.

Removal of the spleen has lifetime consequences which I won't go into. The spleen is the most vascular organ in the body, it has a significant role in the immune function and other blood functions. The fact removal was even considered tells us how serious the situation was and how bad the laceration. 

I agree with Bruckner that the club did well to send him off to the hospital as soon as they did. I am sure it isn't a 6-week injury, and I hope Trac takes the time to fully recover.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 1

The AFL should be getting some heat.  In the NFL, every stadium has medical imaging, and some teams bring their own.  X-Ray and ultrasound mainly. With ultrasound, a doctor can pick up internal bleeding with 90% accuracy and punctured lungs with 97-100% accuracy.  And a portable x-ray would find broken ribs in 2 minutes.

If any good should come of Tracc’s incident it should be that the AFL makes it into the 21st century. They have enough money to make sure of players welfare. 

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

22 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Reported tonight by Tom Morris. Trac was taken to the theatre in the early morning (no waiting around) at one stage a splenectomy was being considered, that's serious.

As previously mentioned, the radiology team manages the splenic bleeding to close the bleeders then surgical repair as the next step if step one doesn't stem the bleeding. Splenectomy (removal) is the absolute last option and is done as a last resort.

Removal of the spleen has lifetime consequences which I won't go into. The spleen is the most vascular organ in the body, it has a significant role in the immune function and other blood functions. The fact removal was even considered tells us how serious the situation was and how bad the laceration. 

I agree with Bruckner that the club did well to send him off to the hospital as soon as they did. I am sure it isn't a 6-week injury, and I hope Trac takes the time to fully recover.

So did he have a full laparotomy (abdominal exploration through a big incision) or a laparoscopy (keyhole surgery).

If the former then I doubt he will be playing again in 2024, and quite likely not even if a laparoscopic repair.

Devastating 

• Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

The AFL should be getting some heat.  In the NFL, every stadium has medical imaging, and some teams bring their own.  X-Ray and ultrasound mainly. With ultrasound, a doctor can pick up internal bleeding with 90% accuracy and punctured lungs with 97-100% accuracy.  And a portable x-ray would find broken ribs in 2 minutes.

If any good should come of Tracc’s incident it should be that the AFL makes it into the 21st century. They have enough money to make sure of players welfare. 

If they can't / won't spend a few bucks on a goal line camera technology then there is no way they will invest in imaging.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

It's just footy

OBVIOUSLY THE DECISION WAS WRONG! YEP YEP

• Like 1

Season over for trac. Sad to see him go down like this. Without trac and leaver now our season is over. Start to regroup and focus for 2025. Good time to go to Mt Buller or falls creek

• Like 1
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

This is a great point. If only the AFLPA did its actual job, instead of happily signing off on everything the AFL wants.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrnolsy said:

Season over for trac. Sad to see him go down like this. Without trac and leaver now our season is over. Start to regroup and focus for 2025. Good time to go to Mt Buller or falls creek

No, we need to draw a line in the snow.

Edited by mauriesy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Billy said:

And to all the budding doctors out there, leave it the experts.

Get we’ll Trac that was beyond brave

Further, to those who say they are doctors or similar on here, perhaps best not to diagnose or assume the extent of Trac's injury when you haven't treated him or read his reports.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Yep, they’ll get on it right after they stop using a Nokia 3310 to give us ARC decisions I’m sure 😑

• Haha 3
  • Clap 1

56 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Best post I've read on this thread. Thank you

• Like 1