The Ned Moyle Thread

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

Because if you think your ready to go, you don't want to sit in anyone's shadow  not even Max's. He's been behind a pretty good ruck already. Max is better, but why wait 2 years if you can get a #1 spot now?

Cash. If the FD believe he's the man to take over from Max on a long term basis then overpay him. Offer him the last couple of years of his apprenticeship on foreman's wages.

• Clap 2

7 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

The face of experience?!

@Winners at last: The late great Sid James came into this life as Solomon Joel Cohen 🙂

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On face value you would think going to Pies makes sense for the opportunity. However I suggest we value the importance of ruckman more highly than the current Pies management and therefore would offer a more attractive package. I also think a 1-2 year transition learning from the GOAT would be enticing. 

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

On face value you would think going to Pies makes sense for the opportunity. However I suggest we value the importance of ruckman more highly than the current Pies management and therefore would offer a more attractive package. I also think a 1-2 year transition learning from the GOAT would be enticing. 

That's exactly right. Collingwood have shown they don't value ruckman, if I'm Tim Lamb I'd be mentioning how much value we do put in ruckman.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, godees said:

Collingwood wouldn’t be offering that. Cameron is a better player right now. Adelaide would be a better shot at 1st ruck but does he really want to live in Adelaide (VIC boy right?)?

Xavier College & Kew Rovers then Old Xavs in the Ammos.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Xavier College & Kew Rovers then Old Xavs in the Ammos.

...where, btw, Ollie Sestan would have looked up to him.

In more ways than one, too.

• Like 1

I understand where you are coming from wwsw but we as a team are one long term injury away from……,,,,,,,,,disaster.!!!

10 hours ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

Disagree. The kid is quality but is still only 22 and whilst he dominates VFL and has shown good signs at AFL level I suggest he would know he is not ready for a full season as a number 1 ruck. 

Hope you are right. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kent said:

Max is one injury away from retirement we must have suitable back up and future ruck 

Ned looks the goods

we are chancing fate having now ready back up in my view

Agree, but I posted why I don’t think he will come to us.

Hope I am wrong, as Ned would be a great off season get for us.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Jibroni said:

He is playing AFL so we know he would be an upgrade on Fullarton.

Almost everyone is!

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, old55 said:

As I posted above, I hope we're making a strong play for Moyle who is a big unit who won't be moved off the line and follows up well at the stoppage with tackles and clearance. Witts is GC captain and is a year younger than Max, and they have Read coming through, although he may be more forward-ruck - staying at GC with all that list talent is probably a sound option for him.

If he would move there's the question of would he come to Melbourne after the Grundy experience but I think we are as good an option as anywhere for him to inherit the #1 ruck mantle.  Max is the oldest #1 outside of Goldstein and Stanley, who both already have good proteges in Draper and Conway.  Collingwood is an attractive option because they will play two rucks and Cameron is competitive forward.  There's the Dogs if English leaves but that seems unlikely.

It's hard to know Max's mind, he might like to forge on for 2-3 years or he might just say ruck-it, I'm done at the end of this year and go and enjoy life without a totally busted body.

Adelaide: O'Brien 28y9m, Strachan
Brisbane: McInerney 29y10m, Fort 30y10m
Carlton: Pittonet 28y, De Koning
Collingwood: Cameron 28y10m, Cox 33y 2m
Essendon: Goldstein 35y11m, Draper, Bryan
Fremantle: Darcy 25y11m, Jackson
GWS: Briggs 24y8m, Preuss
Geelong: Stanley 33y6m, Conway
Gold Coast: Witts 31y8m, Moyle, Read
Hawthorn: Meek 26y1m, Reeves 25y7m
MFC: Gawn 32y5m, Verrall
North: Xerri 25y2m, Teakle
Port: Soldo 28y1m, Sweet 26y4m
Richmond: Nankervis 29y9m, Naismith 31y10m
St.Kilda: Marshall 28y6m, Campbell 32y7m
Sydney: Grundy 30y1m, Ladhams 26y4m
West Coast: Flynn 26y8m, Williams, Barnett
Dogs: English 26y9m, Lobb 31y3m

I'd make Moyle a very good offer because I think a capable Max replacement is #1 priority.  I've suggested elsewhere that we've got enough developing KP in the hopper: Turner, Jefferson, Verrall, Adams and Kentfield to complement Lever, Petty and JVR.  And I think we've got enough untapped midfield potential in Salem, Pickett, Rivers and McVee to complement Petracca, Oliver and Viney.  It sounds like a midfielder heavy draft coming up so we could pick up someone there.

I don't mind the look of that young bloke six lines down. How would he fit in in 2024?

• Like 1

Like this idea, another one we could look at is Ned Reeves at the Hawks.  He is a big boy nd reminds me a lot of max in his early days.

only 25, were not gonna get another max but he could be a good guy to come in, give max a spell through the year and learn off him ready to take over in a year or 2 or 15 🙏

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kent said:

We need speed and skill in our midfield don't forget that 

At the moment we have very little

We need quite a few upgrades, actually.

8 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Mickey if Max goes down we are burnt toast.!

so true

8 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Yes and...Max is the GOAT. Who wouldn't want to both learn off the guy and play a decent if not smaller role for a year or two? 

4 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

i see max as like goldstein - he can play on for a long, long time yet

But how long can he go at 85% TOG?    Goldstein goes at 75%, (Brundy 76%.)

He may get an extra year or. two if he was prepared to, and had the support to, do 70-75%.

And, there would be the break glass too.  At present we have zero replacement, and haven't even bothered to look  at Fullarton who we recruited - presumably - for that option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, monoccular said:

We need quite a few upgrades, actually.

so true

But how long can he go at 85% TOG?    Goldstein goes at 75%, (Brundy 76%.)

He may get an extra year or. two if he was prepared to, and had the support to, do 70-75%.

And, there would be the break glass too.  At present we have zero replacement, and haven't even bothered to look  at Fullarton who we recruited - presumably - for that option.

goldstein is 36 and still one of the best ruckmen in the competition

i have no doubt max can be the same

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'd walk right into the office, slam my hands on the desk and say "Right, we gotta get this guy" 

Showed some good signs tonight! Was beaten well early but fought back. Still think he needs another year developing in 2025, but will be fully ready to go in 2026.

if he plays with Gawny he will learn about the level of fitness required to be the best.

• Like 2

Very good in the second half.

Good chance he would he make us better in the short term and assist Max.  Then take over the No.1 mantle after Max pulls the pin.

And on the wish list of needs for 2025...

Two additional mids, 1 outside 1 inside

A gun tall forward

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Showed some good signs tonight! Was beaten well early but fought back. Still think he needs another year developing in 2025, but will be fully ready to go in 2026.

if he plays with Gawny he will learn about the level of fitness required to be the best.

Exactly right, he fought back hard. Has real good work rate 

1 hour ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Very good in the second half.

Good chance he would he make us better in the short term and assist Max.  Then take over the No.1 mantle after Max pulls the pin.

And on the wish list of needs for 2025...

Two additional mids, 1 outside 1 inside

A gun tall forward

... and a forward coach??

48 minutes ago, monoccular said:

our forward line has been a mish mash for years, so i think being as functional as it has been - three top 4 seasons in a row, with half a season to go to see if we can make it 4 top 4 finishes - is a CREDIT to stafford's coaching

to get the most out of a random assortment of defenders turned forwards, midfielders turned forwards, a super talented but mercurial small forward, and a sparky from coldstream he must've done a helluva lot right, particularly with the woeful disposal we have going i50 far too often

the only consistent in the forward 6 make up from 2020 to now has been fritsch (and prior to this season pickett and anb, as they both move thru the middle so much more at the moment)

our skill level - or lack thereof - concerns me far more than our f50 set-up

• Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, monoccular said:

I'd be lining Tom Hawkins up for a decent post retirement contract (if he's open) from now.

If you want to be the best, hire the best!

You will also give yourself a decent chance to attract the best.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Thinking 1