POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

6 minutes ago, binman said:

Had a family lunch, so had to watch the game as live. Just finished it.

Great win.

Haven't read this thread yet.

I assume posters, even the ones convinced we are hopeless, have given us full credit and not putting some sort of asterisk on it.

The ladder doesn't lie.

Fourth on the ladder close to the halfway part of the season with our toughest games and schedule behind us.

Go redleggers.

I always appreciate your positivity after games. While I didn’t love everything about today, the things were mostly those of somebody who has gotten used to following a great team for the last few years haha, like junk time goals and some sloppy skills here and there. There was a time we would have given almost anything for wins, and certainly the saints had a weird hoodoo over us (they weren’t alone, of course).

But you’re right though the ladder tells the story. We’re in good position after a tough first half or so, with excellent % and can launch from here. The boys were happy and really supportive of one another which was something that struck me.

Anyway, thanks for the positivity 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I sat in the fwd pocket city road end.  Completely different persprctive.

Max and Salo were immense.

Langdon and Hunter were great, especially their defensive run.

Unfortunately for McVee I could see his opponent was going to win the ball when it still was 50m away.

Saints, not so good.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demonsterative said:

I didn’t see the game, but what did the Croms do we couldn’t? 

That was a schellaking! 

Play the game in Adelaide would probably be the biggest factor. 

Eagles seem pretty keen to show up every second week, good strategy really. 

• Like 4

Great win.

Stocker was wearing Petracca like a glove. Barely looking at the ball and purely trying to take him out the play.

Christian was getting quite frustrated in the third quarter, but what was really interesting was the body blocks Oliver was doing around the stoppages and Christians ability to speed out of play.

Full credit to Goodwin playing him forward and Pickett in the midfield too, which is what helped change our second half a bit.

Go dees.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

Great to get the four points but areas of concern may outweigh the aspects to celebrate. 

Positives:

• Max, ANB, May, Tmac 
  • Midfield mix change ups 
  • Tommo slotted in ok
  • Hunter exceeded expectations
  • Better game from Sparrow

Negatives

• Petty couldn't get a kick for 3 qtrs and then injured (& the cupboard is bare)
  • Concerned for McAdam, spilled a lot of chances, pressure just ok
  • Windsor couldn't get into the game, fatigued?
  • Fritsch mostly quiet 
  • 67 inside 50s for 14.16
  • Coughed up 3 goals in junk time, costing us ~3%

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Not sure about the fixture point. 

We still have Collingwood twice, Fremantle twice, GWS, Port, Essendon, Brisbane in Brisbane, GC on the GC and the Dogs at Marvel.

Still four more interstate trips (Essendon by contrast have just two).

We’ve done well enough given the early travel but there are plenty of challenges on our fixture still to come. 

Agree we still have a pretty tough run home.

(But I'd add we have games against the Eagles at roos at the g to come)

But that wasn’t my point.

My point was our run home is not as tough as our first 11 games.

Two five day breaks. A six day break.

Four interstate games.

Both Adelaide teams at home.

Have played the swans, port, cats and blues, meaning 4 of our 11 games have been against teams currently in the top 8, 2 against top 4 teams. 

And we are 4th.

The ladder doesn't lie (well perhaps for the bombers it does).

As much as some on here might try to convince people otherwise, you can't magic up 4th on the ladder after 11 rounds with the fixture we have had.

Edited by binman
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

Apart from the second quarter effort and those junk time goals in the last    Nothing to complain.   Yes no one listens anyway 

but how can essenscum be sitting second with a [censored] percentage. There are five dudes outside the 8  with much better percentages.

blues and bummers in my opinion   Not good enough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Play the game in Adelaide would probably be the biggest factor. 

Eagles seem pretty keen to show up every second week, good strategy really. 

Is the home ground advantage worth 22 goals? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, binman said:

Agree we still have a pretty tough run home.

(But I'd add we have games against the Eagles at roos at the g to come)

But that wasn’t my point.

My point was our run home is not as tough as our first 11 games.

Two five day breaks. A six day break.

Four interstate games.

Both Adelaide teams at home.

Have played the swans, port, cats and blues, meaning 4 of our 11 games have been against teams currently in the top 8, 2 against top 4 teams. 

And we are 4th.

The ladder doesn't lie (well perhaps for the bombers it does).

As much as some on here might try to convince people otherwise, you can't magic up 4th on the ladder after 11 rounds with the fixture we have had.

Haha yeah the bombers have done well with their fixture. But have the suns, blues, cats, pies and us waiting out of the next six games. They may be the real deal, who knows. I don’t think so. But we’ll find out soon as they have 7 wins from bottom 8 teams so far., then a win against GWS and the Pies draw. Anyway yeah our fixture has been wayyy harder. Earnt our 4th place. Won’t lie, wish we claimed the Eagles but that’s in the past now and I’ve added it to my therapy haha 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Billy said:

Well it definitely hasn’t been from overuse this season 

Salem was off with the tracksuit on and 7mins to go. Hopefully all OK

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demon trucker said:
1 hour ago, BDA said:

Reckon we should play as Naarm every week 😁

Really only our second win under that name, we've lost to some [censored] sides, it's a cursed, name

All hail this week's winner of "Missed The Obvious Joke" Award!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

How long can they keep M King? Surely he'll look for greener pastures in the near future, maybe some red and blue pastures? 😏😏😏

It's a good call Diab.  Contracts can be broken.  Worth investigating?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve read the cupboard is bare a lot over the last few weeks,  but we somehow find ways to manage. Tomlinson and Hunter come in and provided excellent service. 

Happy to hear Goody say the club is confident Petty will get up for next week from a sprained ankle. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ted Lasso said:

I wonder if Lever could play smaller and we could keep Tommlinson in? we looked really good in the air 

Really square peg in round hole suggestion. You don’t ask a champion to change his game for a depth player. You will end up with two holes in the end. Need a smaller defender for the pacy clever opponents in the opposition. Saints haven’t got any real ones! 

• Like 1

goodwin now has a 99-1-70 record, so a 58.73% winning percentage

those with more than 100 wins as a coach and a better record than him:

• leigh matthews - 58.79%
  • david parkin - 58.89%
  • phonse kyne - 59.46%
  • john worrall - 59.86%
  • ken hinkley - 60.08%
  • jack dyer - 60.81%
  • reg hickey - 61.02%
  • norman clark - 61.21%
  • mark thompson - 61.71%
  • alan joyce - 61.84%
  • allan jeans - 62.15%
  • john longmire - 62.93%
  • tom hafey - 64.75%
  • frank hughes - 65.08%
  • john nicholls - 66.06%
  • dick reynolds - 66.99%
  • chris scott - 68.5%

that's some serious company

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 3

Didn’t watch the game live but with a cool head knowing the result. Things are a lot clearer in that situation.

Pettys biggest issue is positioning . He is often in the wrong spot and connection with midfield is non existent. This you can expect with someone that has played < 10 games as our KPF. It will improve with time.

our ball movement looked better but it’s hard to say how much of that was due to Saints poor defence. 

TMac stays back he looks settled and reads the ball very well. Perfect replacement for Petty to allow him to develop in the forward line.

• Like 4

My thoughts...

Petty did not play well but his leads were ignored a lot. Overall the forward line still is figuring out how to work together. McAdam missed some chances but tackled well, gave good pressure and crashed packs to spill the ball.

ANB is a certified stoppage midfielder now, not just a half forward. As others have stated, Langdon at HF with hunter and Windsor on the wings provides a unique and dangerous look.

Viney was ferocious. TMAC has dukes. Tomlinson was also great.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

goodwin now has a 99-1-70 record, so a 58.73% winning percentage

those with more than 100 wins as a coach and a better record than him:

• leigh matthews - 58.79%
  • david parkin - 58.89%
  • phonse kyne - 59.46%
  • john worrall - 59.86%
  • ken hinkley - 60.08%
  • jack dyer - 60.81%
  • reg hickey - 61.02%
  • norman clark - 61.21%
  • mark thompson - 61.71%
  • alan joyce - 61.84%
  • allan jeans - 62.15%
  • john longmire - 62.93%
  • tom hafey - 64.75%
  • frank hughes - 65.08%
  • john nicholls - 66.06%
  • dick reynolds - 66.99%
  • chris scott - 68.5%

that's some serious company

Hopefully the Cats have a few mediocre years to bring Chris Scott back to the pack a little.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Those wanting Petty out for Jefferson

who takes the gorilla defender?

JVR Jeffo is too young and green. 

Anyone 

So that’s why he’s still in the team?

• Like 1

Great game to attend today, perfect football day, would have been better at 2:00 pm but that aside we turned up to play and play we did. Once we realised that the boys had turned up we got right in behind them, we sat on L1 today surrounded by a very happy, noisy and supportive group of supporters and a very noisy Demon Army just over to our left. The couple in the row in front of us had a 5 week old baby girl that slept on her dads knees throughout the game, what a little trooper. Our Dees put on a bit of a clinic at times today working hard to get the job done, Max bog, JV, Salo, Thommo, May, ANB we’re great But Tracc, Kozzie, Clayton, Lingers, Bowsa, Riv, Judd, Spaz, Rooey and Chin weren’t far behind. Never felt threatened at any time today, we ate a jam donut on the way back to the car and had a pleasant and talkative trip home.😁😁❤️💙

• Like 16
  • Love 1

Amusing (to me) incident in our foward pocket in the last quarter. Both Pickett and McAdam flew very early for the same mark. The ball arrived a combined 30 seconds later.

• Haha 6