• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

Last one from me. But apart from the JVR one being an obvious miss, why in earth wasn’t Langdon paid the free for being tackled without the ball just before it? This is just a coupe of howlers in last few mins. Won’t change the result now but club should put in a please explain cause there was a heap of shockers tonight and is most weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

Well. 

I'm 1 from 1. 

And it's clear that we are not in the the kind of form that many were banging on about. 

Carlton had how many outs? How many mids? And we still couldn't find a way. 

Hawthorn game is no guaranteed win and if anyone thinks we should be favourites against Sydney in the last round, (regardless of what the odds say), you have no idea. 

If cementing second place on the ladder is not enough of a dangling carrot for this group going up against a half strength Carlton then I'm not sure we're the team people think we are!

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, JimmyGadson said:

Well. 

I'm 1 from 1. 

And it's clear that we are not in the the kind of form that many were banging on about. 

Hawthorn game is no guaranteed win and if anyone thinks we should be favourites against Sydney in the last round, (regardless of what the odds say), you have no idea. 

If cementing second place on the ladder is not enough of a dangling carrot for this group going up against a half strength Carlton then I'm not sure we're the team people think we are!

Congratulations. Your team lost. Crack open the champagne. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

6 minutes ago, Dusty_Hill said:

I wrong or is this a free to Max? He’s running back to get to the contest and the Carlton player deliberately blocks him and prevents him from getting there?
If so why can’t 1 of 4 umpires see it?!?

100% block followed by holding and possibly a high. Take your pick. 
Im glad a few journos bought up a few unpaid frees and the umpires call on the goal line in the presser - it’ll put the AFL in the spotlight particularly when FIFA have VAR working so well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The AFL need to get rid of the soft call. The goal umpire should just say “score review” and let the ARC decide. I think if that system was in place, most people would have been comfortable with that being called a goal as there was no evidence of it being touched. The only thing is that the umpire can hear the touch but you can’t hear [censored] with 70k fans screaming.

In regards to the other parts of the game, I can’t see Grundy staying in. You just can’t carry a tall forward role with no goals to your name and no shots on goal. 

Letting them kick those quick centre bounce goals hurt. We just weren’t desperate enough in the contest. Owies goal was a fluke and geez I hate his over the top celebrations.

Overall though I thought our defence was pretty good, but Carlton’s pressure was insane. I can only hope they run out of fuel by the finals because if you bring that much pressure and intensity you can beat anyone. Even guys like Jack Martin are buying in.

We just have to win next week now. I do not want top 4 on the line in the last round because Carlton might genuinely pinch our spot if we lose to Hawthorn and they keep winning. Hoping to beat Sydney to claim top 4 at the SCG would be a disaster.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

14 minutes ago, Macca said:

By the way, nothing to do with loading or tapering.  Unless........

No, nothing to do with loading or tapering IMV.

I think @DeelightfulPlay nailed it. Even though we only had two ins, we've had three major changes to three zones of the ground and this happened all in the last fortnight, so cohesion is out of whack.

1) Smith going back has meant our defenders don't trust each other. It starts with May, who rightly, doesn't trust Smith's zonal positioning, which leaves May trying to play 1v1 and zone, and ending up occasionally doing neither. This lack of trust then spreads through the rest of the back 7. One questionable link in the chain undermines everything. 

2) Clarry's return has thrown off the midfield balance and saw multiple players going for the same ball, instead of trusting each other to win it and take up aggressive outside positioning to receive. 

3) Petty's aerial threat and forward craft being replaced by Grundy, who offers neither of those things and also seemingly throws off Max's game is a double whammy. It means we have little aerial threat offensively and lack defensive pressure when the ball hits the ground. Chandler played 66% TOG tonight, but I have no idea what his role was. He was essentially a non entity.

So I think we need to drop JJ (which hopefully lessens the midfield problem by prividing clarity over roles) for Spargo and I'd bring in a speed forward (Spargo) who can do the gut running, high half forward role with ANB, so that Chandler and Kozzy can play closer to goal, and provide greater forward pressure.

I'd also play Smith forward and only back as an absolute break glass option. He's frankly sub if we think Tmac will give us an offensive threat.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

2 best teams in the competition going head to head in an absolute 18 round belter. bloody loved the game, hated the result. 

there was SOOOOOO much to like about our performance and i am more confident we can win it all.

No team outside of the two that played tonight is capable of playing at that level. and the scary part is neither were at our best.

Brisbane?

2 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

2) Clarry's return has thrown off the midfield balance and saw multiple players going for the same ball, instead of trusting each other to win it and take up aggressive outside positioning to receive. 

That’s a great call. When they were on top it felt like we had 2-3 going for the ball/player like yesteryear. Because of that when they won it or got it free they had players on the outside and that’s why it seemed they had so meant extra at the contest. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Well. 

I'm 1 from 1. 

You’re certainly 1 of something.

42 minutes ago, Macca said:

We went wide all night ... where was the corridor football? Non existent

We obviously view the game differently.  To me there are never any excuses

Play better and you win

6.5 out of 10 instead of 8.5 out of 10 was how I see our performance tonight

You want to call that an 8?  You're dreaming

Carlton outplayed us ... take your hat off to the winner and lose with grace

yeah Carlton won, haven't disputed that, not making an excuse but is fair to say they won by a margin so narrow I am not cutting my wrist, personally I think since 2018 we have swapped some manic pressure for touch, and have lost a fraction of our ability to play wet weather football. I thought we were in trouble with the conditions, if that was a dry game I reckon it might have gone a little differently. I look at reasons whey we lost, not the same as excuses, but I didn't see a team that was overwhelmed with pressure, I saw some execution that was off by players who normally do better. And for the record, I think Grundy in the wet was a mistake, after initially being happy for him to be in the side.

• Like 1

I've put my professional photographer (30 years)and sleuth hat on, poured over the footage of Trac's nearly match winner and come to the conclusion the ump probably got it right.

The behind and in front of goal footage is inconclusive other that going through it frame by frame which shows no clear finger bend from the ball being touched but If you look at the goal post camera footage it's clear his outstretched left hand at no point is anywhere near the ball

BUT WAIT

If watch Marchbank's right arm as the ball passes you can see its shadow from the lights suggesting the ball is very very very close, most definitely in brushing distance and if you watch him on the ground suggesting he touched it he initially points to his left hand then quickly changes it to his right

Edited by Bang Na Demon
  • Thinking 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Billy said:

We were seriously outnumbered to night 90% Carlton supporters 

Nah was maybe 65-35 Carlton way. Maybe 70-30. And I was in AFL Members surrounded by Carlton.

• Like 1

How good is our back 6,with the amount in inside 50's against,most teams would have been 40 points down at quarter time.

3 goals in 3 minutes at the start of the 4th cost us the game and Clarry was on the bench,Cripps set up all 3 goals and TRAC GOT BURNT BY CRIPPS,great move Goodwin,game over!!!

Edited by Jack7

4 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

No, nothing to do with loading or tapering IMV.

I think @DeelightfulPlay nailed it. Even though we only had two ins, we've had three major changes to three zones of the ground and this happened all in the last fortnight, so cohesion is out of whack.

1) Smith going back has meant our defenders don't trust each other. It starts with May, who rightly, doesn't trust Smith's zonal positioning, which leaves May trying to play 1v1 and zone, and ending up occasionally doing neither. This lack of trust then spreads through the rest of the back 7. One questionable link in the chain undermines everything. 

3) Petty's aerial threat and forward craft being replaced by Grundy, who offers neither of those things and also seemingly throws off Max's game is a double whammy. It means we have little aerial threat offensively and lack defensive pressure when the ball hits the ground. Chandler played 66% TOG tonight, but I have no idea what his role was. He was essentially a non entity.

So I think we need to drop JJ (which hopefully lessens the midfield problem by prividing clarity over roles) for Spargo and I'd bring in a speed forward (Spargo) who can do the gut running, high half forward role with ANB, so that Chandler and Kozzy can play closer to goal, and provide greater forward pressure.

I'd also play Smith forward and only back as an absolute break glass option. He's frankly sub if we think Tmac will give us an offensive threat.

We can itemise it all down player by player but the bottom line is that because of Carlton's pressure, we didn't deal with it well

From a team point of view, we lacked cohesiveness, connection, disposal skills and directness

In other words, their teamwork off the ball stifled our game.  We were often hemmed in, in their forward line with no easy exits

They made us look average but to our credit, we kept at it but at no stage did we look like winners nor did we play like winners

It's not the end of the world though as we'll live to fight another day

37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The umpiring seemed extremely ****house tonight. I hate blaming them for a loss and Carlton were good but my god the amount of scragging, pushing and blocking they got away with!

Carlton player jumps on Maxys head doesn't touch the ball. Play on.

Carlton player tries to evade a tackle. Ball end up dropping out of his hands when trying to handball. Play on.

Player sits square on Sparrows back. Play on.

JVR has his legs taken out. Play on.

And that was just the last quarter.

Carlton players getting away with fistfuls of jumpers right in front of the umps.

Most of these happened directly in front of the umpire so it's not an issue of "they didn't see it". There is something seriously wrong with the way our game is officiated, it is a joke.

And how can the goal umpire call touched if he didn't see it? If it has to go to score review there should be evidence it is touched otherwise it should be a goal.

Furious. 🤬🤬

If the goal ump is uncertain but the ARC can't decide either way then why have a review system at all??

The ump should just be honest and say "i didn't have a clear view of the ball/contest to see exactly what happened... it may or may not have been a goal but i need to go to the Arc to determine the result here".

The goal umps are effectively making a call even though they're still unsure.  Almost as if they feel they'll look foolish if they don't call it one way or the other when the truth is sometimes humans just can't make a correct call at all.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2