POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Adelaide

Demonland

1 hour ago, Tracca said:

What are your thoughts on trying Tomlinson forward when Petty gets back? He’s a great kick, and good one on one?

Petty failed at the body on body approach to playing fwd

Tommo maybe potential if he uses his fitness to play a high CHF type,  leaving FF to JVR 

Otherwise I'm not really buying backs as fwds, we need structure and separation, not body on body

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Petty failed at the body on body approach to playing fwd

Tommo maybe potential if he uses his fitness to play a high CHF type,  leaving FF to JVR 

Otherwise I'm not really buying backs as fwds, we need structure and separation, not body on body

To be fair I’d rather petty stay back when he’s fully fit. He’s fantastic there. Id just like to see Tomlinson down forward even if it’s 2 week stint to see how he operates. More just if he has a fwd mindset or goes into defender mode

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

Apart from the odd qtr, what has Joel Smith done at AFL level as a key forward?  And it helps when you come on fresh as a sub. To say that Joel Smith replaces BBB based on form is bizarre.

Your opinion not mine. It's not bizarre at all. Brown is not performing. Smith can take a contested mark whereas Brown goes up with one arm half the time. Perhaps you should go to the game and watch it live.

• Like 2

My ignored users list has some absolute doozy’s - anyone remember Hardnut? 

Anyway, BBB does the kind of forward movement that we have dropped $650k worth of resting ruckman to learn in 3 weeks. 

If he is dropped it is his body that is failing him - for those that pay close attention - you will see he creates space for others behind him and makes our forward line seem deeper. Anyone can create a contest (actually that is a fallacy) but to create it in the right spots and the right times is the key to a functioning forward line. 

My best games at CHF in my opinion were the ones where I drew two to allow an open player, worked to get across to split the defender, and provide a target on quick plays that sometimes was simply to get it to ground in the hot spot in front. Why have we forgotten how important role players are? Didn’t we win a flag based on that? The stars keep you up there, but the salt of the earth role players are the ones that win you big games when the stars cancel each other out.

Now. Bounce. That. Pill.

Note: Not Broden Kelly but thought I needed something rousing…

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Personally based on what we need at this point in time, Petty needs a spell to get back to 100% fit, Tomlinson needs to stay in the backline and Schache should come into the side to play decoy forward Or bring Grundy back in to play that role. I felt sorry for BBB yesterday, he tried his guts out but couldn’t hold his marks or get to the ball drop on a number of occasions. I liked his little kick to Max for Max’s 2nd and he certainly covered a lot of territory but unfortunately it isn’t enough and there were a number of people around me calling for him to be subbed out, it was that obvious. Or do we play Smith forward and use Schache as the Sub?? We have options, playing an injured Petty or BBB shouldn’t be one of them.!!!

Edited by DeeZone
Mentioned injuries
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Oliver is top in the comp for winning the ball at the contest. No question. 

But we have a number of players who excel in that area. So the talk of us missing him is over-hyped and our results both with and without him say as much. 

Our problems have nothing to do with him being in or out of our side and there's an argument that suggests we are a more effective and balanced side in his absence as well as being more unpredictable. 

Oliver's loss is not like losing May at his best or Gawn.

Let's not think it is. 

I thought we were long past the days of reducing Oliver down to nothing more than a contested ball winner. 

He is an elite two-way runner, a damaging burst player, and a physical presence defensively as well as offensively at stoppages. 

There is IMO very little merit to the argument that we are more effective without him. If you think we’re doing ok without him that’s just a testament to how hard we’ve worked to cover his absence. 

• Like 12
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, rpfc said:

I’

I’ve apologised and taken my poison. It was over reactive.

anyway it’s a big Achilles heel for us that position, a wild guess would be schache or Grundy in this week. We need someone like you said that can create space for other fwds but also have the ability or body to compete in the air and win 1 on 1s. I’ve heard good things about Jefferson but he’s 12 months away minimum

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 1

Possibly unpopular opinion but I think the only player that needs a rest is VIney. 

He has busted his backside for the last few weeks and looked visibily sore in the last quarter. If Jack looks sore he's probably carrying something that any other footballer/human would require a stay in an ICU ward. 

Tomlinson was great in the first half but faded in the last quarter - I'd take Hibberd over him

BBB did great work off the ball all night, I thought he played very well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tracca said:

anyway it’s a big Achilles heel for us that position, a wild guess would be schache or Grundy in this week. We need someone like you said that can create space for other fwds but also have the ability or body to compete in the air and win 1 on 1s. I’ve heard good things about Jefferson but he’s 12 months away minimum

We've been screaming out for an experienced and fit KPF since last year. I was really disappointed that we didn't recruit one during the trade period but was hopeful Grundy may offer a target and one of BB or Tmac would turn back the clock.

It's pretty clear that we are still in desperate need for one. I know we have Jefferson building but he's at least 2 years away from being properly ready to lead a flag charge imo. Can we afford to wait without recruiting one? To me it's obvious the answer is no! Our list gets olded and in particular some of our experienced veterans like Gawn, May, etc. 

We must recruit someone! Rory Lobb? He isn't working out at the Dogs due to their glut of talls and while he isn't necessarily a power forward, he's pretty enormous and can take contested marks and slot goals. I'm not sure who else is around really, they are hard to find! 

Edited by OutOfTheCentre21
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, OutOfTheCentre21 said:

We've been screaming out for an experienced and fit KPF since last year. I was really disappointed that we didn't recruit one during the trade period but was hopeful Grundy may offer a target and one of BB or Tmac would turn back the clock.

It's pretty clear that we are still in desperate need for one. I know we have Jefferson building but he's at least 2 years away from being properly ready to lead a flag charge imo. Can we afford to wait without recruiting one? To me it's obvious the answer is no! Our list gets olded and in particular some of our experienced veterans like Gawn, May, etc. 

We must recruit someone! Rory Lobb? He isn't working out at the Dogs due to their glut of talls and while he isn't necessarily a power forward, he's pretty enormous and can take contested marks and slot goals. I'm not sure who else is around really, they are hard to find! 

We need to pull out all stops for Oscar Allen imo. I’m sure he’s gettable

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Diamond Tim said:

I see plenty of upsides to the game,

Kozzie, Chandler and Lingers returned to some better form.

We had a few major players i.e. May, Lever, BBB and Trac below par and still managed the win.

Gutsy effort.

Looked at the replay again last night

May was either crook or injured He played the worst game I have watched looked slow and disinterested

Lever had a poor game also thanks to the other backmen for stepping up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hatchman said:

Possibly unpopular opinion but I think the only player that needs a rest is VIney. 

He has busted his backside for the last few weeks and looked visibily sore in the last quarter. If Jack looks sore he's probably carrying something that any other footballer/human would require a stay in an ICU ward. 

Tomlinson was great in the first half but faded in the last quarter - I'd take Hibberd over him

BBB did great work off the ball all night, I thought he played very well.

I think of there is a way to get rest into him and Trac, that would be amazing, to set us up for the rest of the year. I would actually look at subbed them early in games. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tracca said:

If he is gettable I would be 100% be in favour. I highly doubt he is unfortunately. The eagles are rebuilding so makes no sense for them to trade their best young KPF

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tracca said:

Sure, you got a few mines laying around you could gift him?

He is signed at West Coast and they have showered him with money we cannot possibly match. And he’s a local boy. 

A nice dream. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Personally based on what we need at this point in time, Petty needs a spell to get back to 100% fit, Tomlinson needs to stay in the backline and Schache should come into the side to play decoy forward Or bring Grundy back in to play that role. I felt sorry for BBB yesterday, he tried his guts out but couldn’t hold his marks or get to the ball drop on a number of occasions. I liked his little kick to Max for Max’s 2nd and he certainly covered a lot of territory but unfortunately it isn’t enough and there were a number of people around me calling for him to be subbed out, it was that obvious. Or do we play Smith forward and use Schache as the Sub?? We have options, playing an injured Petty or BBB shouldn’t be one of them.!!!

I'd prefer Smith to Schache. Tommo forward is not such a bad idea. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kent said:

Looked at the replay again last night

May was either crook or injured He played the worst game I have watched looked slow and disinterested

Lever had a poor game also thanks to the other backmen for stepping up.

Lever used to a be rock. His intercept marking a major weapon. He's hasn't had a great season. Did save the lions game though. 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Sure, you got a few mines laying around you could gift him?

He is signed at West Coast and they have showered him with money we cannot possibly match. And he’s a local boy. 

A nice dream. 

i didnt think it was on a huge amount of $$ was it?

If hes a local boy then that dream is over.

Id look at Ben King from GC

Logan McDonald ( This would be hard)

Aaron Naughton

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tracca said:

Aaron Naughton

Ben is lucky his last name is King 

Guy is terrible, you'd get better output from Jefferson in the seniors this season than what King has dished up for GCS

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tracca said:

Aaron Naughton

Agreed, all hard to get though. 

Are there any left field options? I mentioned Lobb, anyone else? Hogan (a bit romantic too)? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tracca said:

I’ve apologised and taken my poison. It was over reactive.

You did say it multiple times though so it seemed to us like you were tackling to hurt rather than a single slip of the keyboard. Respect the apology though, we move on. 

11 hours ago, Tracca said:

Look you are right. Apologies I do get frustrated and heated when I talk about bbb. I don’t rate him and don’t think he should be playing. It isn’t his fault he’s getting on and his knee is buggered. Apologies to all I offended

Well done Tracca. Very refreshing.  Let's hope more posters follow your lead in reducing the temperature around here.

• Like 2