• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to put the 'Kozzy Form Slump' bias to bed!

waynewussell

On 7/7/2023 at 1:13 PM, John Crow Batty said:

Rarely ever see Kossie without an opponent breathing down his neck. Tagged every game. 

There wasn't any need to tag him tonight. He was the invisible man. It seems that he is uncertain of his precise role in the team. Maybe a week or two at Casey would help him regain his magic touch.

Currently I would say he is the most overpaid player in the AFL based on output since his contract.

If we signed him at the end of the year instead we might have saved $250K 😐

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 4
  • Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Buzzy said:

Currently I would say he is the most overpaid player in the AFL based on output since his contract.

Jeremy McGovern is on $1.2 million and has played 4 games for the year. 

Koz is fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

The dreaded groupthink is strong on this one.

26 pressure acts, 2nd most for us and 3rd most on the ground.

He's playing high TOG, I hope so that they can start to run him through the middle again like they did in the first 10 rounds.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, A F said:

He's playing high TOG, I.hope so that they can start to run him through the middle again like they did in the first 10 rounds.

I think he’s lacking confidence because things haven’t gone his way this season. 
He is still doing the off the ball stuff well, but he’s struggling to get near it and impact with the ball. 

I have no idea why he’s playing such high TOG, maybe it is to build his tank to play more thru the middle as you say. 
But I don’t think that a week or two dominating at Casey would hurt him to be honest. He is still very young. 

• Thinking 1

I'll eat my proverbial hat if Kozzy is dropped to Casey.

Won't happen and shouldn't happen.

He needs to start hitting the scoreboard, but in the meantime, his defensive game is strong.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A F said:

He needs to start hitting the scoreboard, but in the meantime, his defensive game is strong.

We have ANB and Spargo who are apparently defensive forwards. We need Pickett to actually have the football, rove packs and hit the scoreboard. If that’s not the role Goodwin is giving him, then the finger needs to be pointed at him. Pressure acts are great, but half chasing blokes and sitting off the contest stinks of lazy mindset. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A F said:

If the defensive pressure isn’t creating goals then it’s for nought. Even tonight we had total of 12 goals with good kicking, that won’t stack up vs most teams come finals. We must get more goals from Kozzie directly.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Buzzy said:

He probably hasn't even started on his new contract until the end of the year. The report I think still occupies his mind and he is overthinking how to play. That's part of the reason I think why he has lost some ability to be pro active and positive in case he hurts or gets reported again.

I can only think a game at Casey may help him overcome this situation otherwise put him to half back for 10 mins st the start of a game. Or make him the Sub. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

This is clearly just making stuff up in your own head - he got rubbed out in round 1 and as per the OP his output is at or above his career average since then - so how exactly is he a shadow of the player he was? His shadow is outperforming the player he was! 

Those figures should not be used as he should be getting at least 25% more output now in his fourth year. He is just not impacting games on Sony way at all: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

We have ANB and Spargo who are apparently defensive forwards. We need Pickett to actually have the football, rove packs and hit the scoreboard. If that’s not the role Goodwin is giving him, then the finger needs to be pointed at him. Pressure acts are great, but half chasing blokes and sitting off the contest stinks of lazy mindset. 

Kozzy is playing higher TOG than most because presumably we have a plan for him. When you're playing really high TOG, you're going to lose your explosiveness, particularly as a 4th year pressure forward. It's logical.

The point I make about Kozzy is that this is clearly his program and we're asking him to do a power of work now that is blunting his offence, but he is bringing great defence.

Third most pressure acts on the ground. 

As for your post, @Garbo, it isn't the finals, it's July and Kozzy's pressure absolutely created scores, turnovers and gave us possession. St Kilda dump kicked it to our +1 behind the ball multiple times due to Kozzy's physical and inferred pressure.

Edited by A F
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, leucopogon said:

.... Again tries to take MOC and didn't get anywhere near it....

I've been as critical as anyone of him trying to do this, but the only time he did it last night (that i recal) was when he was up against 2 opponents who were in a better position to take an easy mark.  He couldn't crumb that, so causing chaos wasn't a bad idea.

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

Kozzie won’t get dropped, for the single reason that he can change a game in 10 minutes when he is on.

It will come.

Yesterday was a continuation of his low possession games, with it being his lowest for the year.

I don’t believe the suspension has anything to do with his low possessions, more the way he is being told to play and maybe a bit of confidence lost.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Kozzie won’t get dropped, for the single reason that he can change a game in 10 minutes when he is on.

It will come.

Yesterday was a continuation of his low possession games, with it being his lowest for the year.

I don’t believe the suspension has anything to do with his low possessions, more the way he is being told to play and maybe a bit of confidence lost.

This is essentially why you can't drop him. 

Kozzie is the only player in our team (bar Trac) that can create goals out of nothing, these are gold in modern day football. In addition, his goals give the team a lift. Hard to quantify, but we all feel it. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, A F said:

He's playing high TOG, I hope so that they can start to run him through the middle again like they did in the first 10 rounds.

Nah. I think some actually have the right to call it as they see it based on his past 3 weeks of poor performances. 

You bring up pressure acts for starters.

Do you know James Harmes had the 2nd highest pressure acts last week againdt the giants with 24. ANB had 28.

Do you know what this guarantee? Nothing. Even his higher pressure and defensive game couldn't save him from getting the chop from team selection this week.

Kozzie won't get dropped, but it absolutely needs to come under serious consideration because right now, he's playing lazy and soft football.

There was a moment there where the footy was there to be won against and in coming saint and he shirked it and tried to toe poke it. It was very poor look.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I can't imagine Kozzy will be dropped by the Footy Department but he probably should be. He looked disinterested at times and seems to have zero confidence. Not sure dropping him will have the desired result unfortunately. I'm at a loss at what can get him back to sizzling form. I thought midfield time would do it but sadly I don't think that will help.

• Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Three tackles, 2 i50 - tackle in the champion data definition being “using physical contact to prevent an opponent in possession of the ball from getting an effective disposal”

Unfortunate timing on this post as I’d agree this was about his worst game but the logic of it stands up. The scrutiny on him is bordering hysterical. 

One of those i50 tackles (2nd quarter, 5:44 on the clock) still allowed for Byrnes to give-off to Steele mid-tackle. who managed to clear the ball (albeit ineffectively) back out of the 50. 

Without wanting to get too pedantic, it’s interesting to see how that champion data definition doesn’t quite match up to the reality. 

• Like 3

I watched the replay and early in the game in the forward half he was in great crumbing position a couple of times and the ball was marked in the air instead.

I reckon we go old school on it early this week and just encourage him to run as far up the ground as he needs to get early touches, and get involved.

It’s a really lonely place as a small forward. Free him up to get involved early and he’ll feel better and get his timing right.

• Like 1

I'm not totally sure what to make of this right now but I don't believe Kozzie's poor games are as a result of a lack of work rate and endeavour. Defensively he was in everything on Sat night and getting in opposition players faces, for whatever reason right now he's not able to get as much of the ball and when he was getting it his execution wasn't great. It looked like some of those turnovers were due to lazy kicking but maybe he is so much in his own head right now that it's a confidence thing? I'm not him so I don't know.

I'd prefer to see him in this week and for the next few weeks to come, I believe the tide will turn. However I'm not going to say a spell at Casey wouldn't work at all. 

• Like 1

I hadn't been too concerned about Pickett's offensive form while his defensive form remained solid. Part of the usual fluctuations in scoring output for a small forward. Same happened in '21 and '22 when there were also calls for him to be dropped.

However, what was striking about Saturday night was the uncharacteristic skills errors (fumbles, over running the ball).  Something is going on and perhaps confidence and fatigue may be factors.

In Picket's first 8 games this season, his average TOG% was 77.6%. In the past 6 weeks this has increased to 87.5%. In this time, his CBA% has dropped from an average of 17.8% CB to 0%. That might all seem reasonable; he plays more TOG when solely playing as a small forward. However, in 2022 Pickett played almost exclusively as a small forward and his average TOG% was 79%.  

Additionally, I thought Pickett's form was reasonable against the Giants. He had 19 disposals, 7 contested possessions, three scoring shots and 378m gained. He also played 93% TOG, his highest ever. Given his performance, TOG%, the wet conditions and the 6 day break, perhaps his performance against the Saints was dulled by fatigue. 

He will play this week and his offensive output will return soon.

• Like 2