Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

2 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Really interesting post match press conference from Goody. He is usually as interesting as cheese grater, but boy was he confident and buoyant about that performance. Loved how he talked about the Dees crowd enjoying the things the team values - all the hard stuff. 

Also notable I think that he mentioned the crowd noise and its importance. When was the last time we matched/outdid Collingwood supporters for noise? Surely the players noticed. The roar as they ran out onto the ground must have given them positive energy. Petracca's mentioned it before. The more we get to the ground and make noise like that, the better it is for our chances.

• Like 17

43 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I missed out today unfortunately but what was the balance of supporters? It felt like we were there with some numbers as the noise from the Pies supporters wasn’t as loud as I thought it would be on tv. 

Good question! Bit hard for me to be definitive because I have a earpiece in one ear so that I can listen to the game.

At a guess it sounded like a 50 / 50 crowd but they may have had more attend. My take on this is the way they played didn’t give their supporters the opportunity to get on board. The exact opposite for us.  We seemed to get louder as the game progressed. It was good to experience this.

Contrast this to our 2nd game against them last year where they pipped us at the post. They were incredibly loud and in my opinion, their crowd support got them over the line.

I keep saying (as Goody inferred in his press conference) it is just so important that we the supporters get on board with our boys.  They both need us and appreciate us when we are there for them. 
GO DEES!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

And I think Spargo. Benched today so I assume he is in a bit of troI uble to hold his spot. Oliver & Petty if both fit to come in and I reckon JJ needs a full game so sorry little fella number 9 you may need a game at Casey to find the ball a bit more. Kozzie gets one more then off to Casey also if no improvement.

Indeed. Both Spargo and Kossie racked up a mere six disposals and three tackles each today. Kossie's few pressure acts made the slim difference.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, binman said:

Pre game analysis 

David King, brown and montagns rabbiting on about the 'mcrae sandwich' (high scoring first and last q) and their elite fitness

Montagna weakly notes at the end rhe dees are pretty good in the last q. 

We're bloody number one in the afl for winning last quarters

Half time in the replay.

David King confident the pies will blow us away. 

Elite analysis.

How good is watching it again when you get home 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

If you don’t want to listen to BT get yourselves to the game……if you can

I do.  This one sold out before I knew it. 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A F said:

You beaut, juicy fruit!

Just about the perfect result, because we haven't completely shown our hand. What do I mean by that? We have a few more gears to go to yet IMO. Not only if we kick straight do we win by 8+ goals, but if we moved the ball quicker still, we'd be getting out the back against them more often. This ball movement is still not totally instinctive and it robs us of points. I'm hoping we can use the back half of the season to fine tune that and find that killer instinct with ball movement.

As for our defensive system, it completely strangled and panicked Collingwood after half time. There was a heap of inferred pressure and Collingwood skill errors, fumbles etc as the game wore on and I thought in the 3rd, we lifted our intensity around the ball and pressure rating even more. I'd love to know what our pressure rating in the 3rd was.

Loved that we started manning up the spare (often Daicos) in the last quarter. Will watch the replay tonight, but I don't think we started 1v1 at all stoppages until last quarter. We essentially let them have +1 at contest and sat our +1 a 20m kick behind play, so mostly just in front of the next 1v1.

That very first goal of the match was textbook Collingwood though and we failed to get the job done there defensively. Daicos kicks out. Kicks short, gets the handball receive, hits a target on defensive wing and bang, it's up the other end for a goal. But after the first 15 minutes, we settled and tidied up across our half forwardline, and we no longer allowed that ease of ball movement from back to centre wing. 

One of Viney's best games ever. For a guy whose disposal I often lament, I thought he was A+++ today. He was clean, tough and showed excellent disposal all day. One of his greatest games IMO.

Despite what I just read in the match day thread, I thought our tall forwards were excellent. Max played his best game for the season. He, along with JVR, Smith and at times Grundy, were brilliant at bringing the ball to ground (often against -2 or in Max's case -3). Our small forwards applied great pressure, but struggled with their cleanness, which cost us further scoring opportunities. That Quaynor is a bloody good player 1v1 and he saved them 3 or 4 goals. So the next time we meet them, either his opponent (likely Kozzy) has to get the job done or we avoid kicking it near he and Moore.

As the game wore on though, our forward and midfield pressure pushed them wider and wider and they couldn't handle our press. They dump kicked into the corridor a number of times, and gave us great looks on turnover. We need to utilise those opportunities better next time.

Our defenders held up really well. After giving up 2 early goals, May played a superb half of football, and then started to drop simple uncontested marks again, that opened the door for them. But I thought Tomlinson was really good, McVee is a beauty, love his composure and ball use. Salem is back to his elite 2021 form. He's found his feet quickly this season, and his cleanness and disposal makes our backline soooooooo much better.

I've been really impressed with our midfield the last two weeks, minus the best contested player in the game. If you'd said earlier in the year that we'd beat Collingwood without Clarry, I'd have been rubbing my hands together. But Petracca stepped up last week, Viney this week and Sparrow is giving them superb back up, loving his season. Despite his iffy disposal, I thought Rivers was decent too, moving inside more and took some important intercept marks too.

Overall, we've shown that we can suffocate their ball movement and turn the ball over in the corridor, as well as force them wide. Kick straighter and we're looking at 15+ goals, and I'd say from where we want to (and can) get to, we were running out about a 6 or 7 out of 10.

It will be interesting to see what the competition learns from Goody today.

Wow fantastic analysis Adam, when I read your stuff I learn something or a lot. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Joey Montagna is a much better analyst than Kingy. Joey jumped on the FlagDees before anyone else in the media (very early in 2021) -  at a time when it was still VERY uncool to take Melbourne seriously. Kingy has no idea really, he'll probably have Essendon in his power rankings tomorrow. I do like him taking Kane Cornes to task every Friday though. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, layzie said:

Goodwin out-coached Mcrae today 

Goody and the rest of the FD clearly spent the summer building a game plan that would play to our defensive and CP strengths, but would also beat Collingwood.

It's why we look to score big from turnover, and we caught them out so many times today. We just needed to execute a little better.

And I've just finished watching the repaly of the first quarter. Our ball movement is still not a team wide instinctive thing, although if you watch the build up to Viney's goal (or at least the kick to Gus), we slingshot really quickly.

May is good at this, as is McVee, I think we really missed Bowey, who will come into his own with this new offensive flare to the game plan.

But it's notable in the second half of the first quarter that we started to clog them up. Collingwood's forward handball is so good, but our ability to meet it head on with frontal pressure / press, but still maintain some integrity behind the ball is excellent team defensive synergy and beautifully coached.

• Like 12
  • Love 2

And watching our maligned small forwards bring great pressure on the replay, I wonder WTF people are talking about.

Sure, we want them hitting the scoreboard more, but if Chandler and Kozzy kick straight, only Spargo of the smalls would've failed to kick a goal for the day - hence his subbing. It was a good move.

It'll be interesting to see if Charlie loses his spot to Clarry.

Edited by A F
  • Like 9

43 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I missed out today unfortunately but what was the balance of supporters? It felt like we were there with some numbers as the noise from the Pies supporters wasn’t as loud as I thought it would be on tv. 

I reckon we actually matched them in terms of volume. What started it was when they began to boo Brodie. Something snapped and almost immediately we’re drowning them out with cheering, that sound ringing around the stadium was amazing. They must’ve been shocked because that’s something they’re not used to.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Also notable I think that he mentioned the crowd noise and its importance. When was the last time we matched/outdid Collingwood supporters for noise? Surely the players noticed. The roar as they ran out onto the ground must have given them positive energy. Petracca's mentioned it before. The more we get to the ground and make noise like that, the better it is for our chances.

The only recent similar vibe was the cats final in 2018 I reckon.

The dees army was in full voice.

Felt like a 1980s game the way it was played. Contest to contest. Just how we like it.

BT keeps banging on about control versus chaos. Us being the control weirdly.

Leaving aside the fact that our finals footy is equally ballistic, fast transition footy as theirs, a better phrase comparing the two teams would be power versus pace.

We have more power athletes than them, whereas they have more runners. Lots of them bloody tall too. And good overhead.

Edited by binman
  • Like 10

47 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I was there and loved every minute of it - the real hero was the team connection on defence to make that Demon Press of Death.

#DPoD

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Not sure if it’s just a coincidence but, 

Rd 3 I flew down and we won.

Rd 6 I flew down and we won.

Rd 13 I flew down and we won.

A pattern is emerging….

Somebody buy this man an ornithopter.

• Haha 2

Mid season 2021 it was us and the Dogs.
Dogs supporting workmate was telling me how they'd kill us.
Told him the Dog might be prettier but we're gettin' it done in the trenches.
We pasted them.

Cue this week with a Collingwood supporting workmate telling me what they were gonna do.
Told him the Pies might be prettier but we get it done in trenches.
Gave 'em a 4pt pasting.

Gonna get my Connor McGregor strut on tomoz.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

Literally managed to salvage my mate who went into anaphylaxis from some misguided staff ingredient advise surrounding a Mongolian beef on Victoria street, with some Christian Salem highlights from today. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, binman said:

In fairness Joey has been big on us all year. 

Also, do you think David King or any other fox pundit actually comes up with their own analysis? I just assume their producers and stats team just feed them lines to read. I think less than half of what comes out of kings mouth is his opinion, with the balance being lines from a teleprompt written by their production team

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, binman said:

Pre game analysis 

David King, brown and montagns rabbiting on about the 'mcrae sandwich' (high scoring first and last q) and their elite fitness

We're bloody number one in the afl for winning last quarters

Half time in the replay.

David King confident the pies will blow us away. 

Elite analysis.

But are we better than Freo yet David? 🥲

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, roy11 said:

Was worried the Melbourne chant at the end was going to come back and bite us though lol 

You’re not the only one! Probs best to only ever do that when we’re 10 goals up with a minute left on the clock. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2