POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

16 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I missed out today unfortunately but what was the balance of supporters? It felt like we were there with some numbers as the noise from the Pies supporters wasn’t as loud as I thought it would be on tv. 

GtG Dees were well represented and very loud when Pies booed Grundy we were able to cheer them out. What a game, great to see our supporters out in large numbers and so loudly supporting the boys.!!

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Easy to say this after a big win but...

Absolute masterclass by Goody!

I've heard knocks on him based on his inability to change up the game plan during a game but tinkering would come at the expense of the players knowing a tried and tested finals-winning defensive system instinctively.

We have to believe Goody when he and the club say they are building a squad which will consistently win finals over a number of years.

There was a stat going round toward the end of May that we'd lost almost half our games since round 11 2022 (having won our first 10 games straight that year).  With alarming (though arbitrary) stats like these getting attention, it can be easy to forget the following:

• In 2021 we finished first and won all our finals (including the GF) by an average of 63 points. 
  • In 2022 we finished 2nd on the ladder.  we were "bundled out in straight sets" but were ahead deep into both our finals matches
  • In 2023 we currently sit comfortably in 3rd position having hit nowhere near our best form and continuing to experiment with our forward setup while BBB gets "cherry ripe" in the twos.

Finally, I still sense that a large part of our fan base thinks the quality of our list belies the performance of our head coach and indeed places a higher expectation on Goodwin because of some kind of 'head start' he's got having this list at his disposal.  

But that is flawed thinking as Goodwin and his coaching staff are interconnected with the list managers and the development of players.  That is, Melbourne's list managers are rightly praised continually while Goodwin is often criticised  but the list managers surely work with Goody to bring in the right player to fit the PROVEN system Goody employs and continues to deploy.

Rant Over.

Sorry and thanks.

GO DEES!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

I don’t think we had one passenger. Spargo found it tough but then he was in that first or second line of The Demon Press of Death

(I am big on ‘death’ this year… huh…)

Chandler I feel is just so explosive and a powerful kick, Kozzie is just a terroriser and part of why the perception of pressure was playing on minds in the last. ANB is as ANB does. You take the fumble or 3 because of what he brings to that team defence.

All the back 6 was great. Rivers gets us going and yeah he makes mistakes but he gets us going. Salem back in touch.

Sparrow showing more with Clarry not there. Viney immense.

I would keep Tomlinson there and continue the Petty experiment when it can be resumed - but Smith brings a new dynamic that might be preferential - why play a second NQR tall and just lean into the smalls?? Smith was competitive on the ground and did enough in the air. Flexibility there for sure.

I was there and loved every minute of it - the real hero was the team connection on defence to make that Demon Press of Death.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

That was an incredible performance.

If you have suggested anywhere in here that we weren't that good, you don't get it. We were stunning in all aspects bar the obvious one, but that doesn't mean we weren't good. Had we kicked accurately we would have won this game by 30-odd points and no one would reflect on that as anything other than exceptional.

Collingwood hasn't faced that level of pressure all year. It's a level we haven't brought all year either. But when we combine that level of intensity, a full 23-man buy in, with a solid back-half defensive set up and more aggressive ball movement, [censored] we are good.

Tomlinson (or at least, a third tall) in the backline works. I can't agree with @DeeSpencer at all on that. I can't accept it's a coincidence that we bring in the third tall and the defensive set up suddenly looks far stronger and sides suddenly start fearing kicking near May or Lever, and Gawn isn't asked to intercept everything. Tomlinson's a confidence player and some of his early efforts to out-body his opponent and get his head over the ball were critical to him being on all day.

McVee is a gun. Surely in line for a Rising Star nomination. Rivers is taking his game to another level, and with Salem playing like that we have weapons behind the ball. 

Still so much work to do with disposal - Hunter's first 3-4 kicks were turnovers, Brayshaw's kicking has gone to water, ANB started poorly too. But at least in-game all three improved as it went on. I tend to think the last three weeks' poor goal-kicking is pressure (of losing) and fatigue, given how accurate we were early, but it's a worrying trend that I'm hoping we can arrest.

I'm hopeful that the decision to sub Spargo off for Jordon might be the signal I've been waiting for - that we've realised we have one too many small forwards and could do better with an extra mid. With Oliver due to return, I think that's where the swap gets made.

There's no doubt Collingwood can be better, simply by adding De Goey, Sidebottom, Howe and Elliot. Of course, we're missing a player who has strong claims to being the best in the league, so we could be better too. And again, if we'd kicked straight, the margin would have reflected the gap between us and them.

So with the top 4 all having played each other once, Port and Brisbane are 2-1 and us and Collingwood are 1-2. It's a feather in the cap that hopefully shows the doubting Demonlanders, media personalities, and our own club that we have what it takes.

• Like 16
  • Love 3
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, dees189227 said:

I totally missed all this cox/petracca stuff after the siren. I was to busy celebrating and singing the song 

Lucky you for missing it.  Just picture a self entitled [censored] and you get the picture.  

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

The most important thing now is, will David King have us back in his top 4 contenders after we lost out last week to Freo? 😂

He said he would if we beat Collingwood today. Sad to know that I know this, I know. I need to spend the valuable time I have in my life listening to more relevant people that offer something useful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

How can people seriously discuss dropping ANB? If anybody is under the pump right now it's Kossie.

And I think Spargo. Benched today so I assume he is in a bit of trouble to hold his spot. Oliver & Petty if both fit to come in and I reckon JJ needs a full game so sorry little fella number 9 you may need a game at Casey to find the ball a bit more. Kozzie gets one more then off to Casey also if no improvement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Not sure if it’s just a coincidence but, 

Rd 3 I flew down and we won.

Rd 6 I flew down and we won.

Rd 13 I flew down and we won.

A pattern is emerging….

Keep this up and you will be in a good position to ask for crowdfunding support 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Glorious Day said:

He said he would if we beat Collingwood today. Sad to know that I know this, I know. I need to spend the valuable time I have in my life listening to more relevant people that offer something useful.

The fact that we got kicked out of the top 4 for goddamn Freo is what made me laugh. Like fair if he put Dogs, Saints or Essendon hell, Adelaide would be passable. 
But Freo???? 😳

• Like 2

Like a few on here, I thought last weeks performance spoke volumes about our clearance and contest game. We brought it again today and dismantled the Pies.

Hats off to Tomlinson as well. Played his best game and could be pivotal in our defence if Petty is to remain forward.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

Just now, DeeZee said:

Viney at his best is so bloody awesome to watch 

He lives for the big games.

If we meet Pies in a grand final, I really hope he puts Cox on his [censored]. Would be worth the suspension for the laughs. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roy Boy said:

Looked like Viney was coming off either with a shoulder or collar bone injury.

Next thing I know Spargo is subbed off and Viney back in the middle.

Tough ba$tard he is. Him and Oliver very close to toughest blokes at the club.

He looked gone.

I was watching him come off and it looked all the world he had dislocated his shoulder. Maybe he did!

He is a serious unit when he plays like he did today. Which is how he plays every big game.

Bugger being his opponent.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

Also like a please explain in players leaving the ground for the blood rule. Cameron couldn't have gone slower if he tried, twice

As well I noticed at least a couple of times when Magpie players were injured, or feigning injury, the umpires stopped the game until on one occasion the player got up and jogged to position after the trainers left.

I was of the undersatndig that play was only stopped fr (a) blood rule and (b) if a stretcher was needed or the player was right in the line of fire.

Please explain?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, binman said:

He looked gone.

I was watching him come off and it looked all the world he had dislocated his shoulder. Maybe he did!

He is a serious unit when he plays like he did today. Which is how he plays every big game.

Bugger being his opponent.

I remember how we used to lament Jack's poor disposals and hack kicks forward 

Absolutely love how he's worked on his kicking. He's becoming a weapon kicking into our forward line now.

Just loved his game today

• Like 8

A couple of statistical shout-outs:

• Petracca had a game high 37 pressure acts, 20 of which were in the back half. Like last week, in Oliver's absence he has stepped up defensively. Incredible work for someone who is dominant in the forward half
  • After Viney's 4, our next best forward 50 ground ball get player was JVR (along with Fritsch). He was also our 6th highest pressure act player. This is why he keeps playing. He is doing defensive things that TMac and Brown can't do
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

Pre game analysis 

David King, brown and montagns rabbiting on about the 'mcrae sandwich' (high scoring first and last q) and their elite fitness

Montagna weakly notes at the end rhe dees are pretty good in the last q. 

We're bloody number one in the afl for winning last quarters

Half time in the replay.

David King confident the pies will blow us away. 

Elite analysis.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Really interesting post match press conference from Goody. He is usually as interesting as cheese grater, but boy was he confident and buoyant about that performance. Loved how he talked about the Dees crowd enjoying the things the team values - all the hard stuff. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, binman said:

Pre game analysis 

David King, brown and montagns rabbiting on about the 'mcrae sandwich' (high scoring first and last q) and their elite fitness

Montagna weakly notes at the end rhe dees are pretty good in the last q. 

We're bloody number one in the afl for winning last quarters

Half time in the replay.

David King confident the pies will blow us away. 

Elite analysis.

Well to be fair, they did end up winning the last quarter...

David King's pathetic. Speaks definitively about everything as if his laptop makes him an oracle, but flip flops every week. One week we're dominant, the next week we're hopeless. We beat Carlton ugly, it's a terrible game. St Kilda beats Sydney ugly and it's an important win and teams always get positives out of ugly wins.

• Like 6