The Run Home

22 hours ago, binman said:

Indeed.

There's no mystery why they promote multis to the exclusion of almost every other bet type.

And bet with mates? Please. Another way to throw money at em

Look, there's a place for betting agencies. If it's just a bit of fun having a bet and you can afford to lose then no problems. No different from any other form of expenditure. But their entire approach is to normalise gambling behaviour and there's a certain percentage of the population that are problem gamblers. Exposing kids to this sort of stuff before they have the maturity to know what's going on is particularly problematic.

Do most people have any idea of how much margin the bookies are building into their odds? Why can't there be a bit more transparency and restriction on what time these ads can be shown?

Rant over 😀.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Look, there's a place for betting agencies. If it's just a bit of fun having a bet and you can afford to lose then no problems. No different from any other form of expenditure. But their entire approach is to normalise gambling behaviour and there's a certain percentage of the population that are problem gamblers. Exposing kids to this sort of stuff before they have the maturity to know what's going on is particularly problematic.

Do most people have any idea of how much margin the bookies are building into their odds? Why can't there be a bit more transparency and restriction on what time these ads can be shown?

Rant over 😀.   

I'm a punter. I have been since i was 15. I love it - particularly the ponies.

I enjoy betting on footy, and not really because of the money, more the challenge of applying my analysis of how games might play out and hopefully getting it right. And i do better on footy that the ponies (there's way less variables, and almost all my footy bets are even money line bets).

And so i have no problems with bookies - how could i?

But if i had a magic wand, i'd ban (or super limited) sports betting advertising in a heart beat - particularly during or adjacent (eg footy shows') to any sporting event. 

Even though i'm a potential client, those ads aren't targeted at me - as you suggest their target audience is kids, hence the silliness, and teenage boys/young men (hence their blokey, get around them vibe). Win them over and you have life long client. 

But i don't blame the bookies - they are profit making enterprises. Of course they are going to look to grow their client base.

I blame government, as it is responsible for setting the framework for how and when any product that has risks associated with it can be advertised. Slapping a gamble responsibly warning at the end of an ad is laughable. 

By the by, i also believe alcohol advertising should be banned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, binman said:

I enjoy betting on footy, and not really because of the money, more the challenge of applying my analysis of how games might play out and hopefully getting it right. And i do better on footy that the ponies (there's way less variables, and almost all my footy bets are even money line bets).

But if i had a magic wand, i'd ban (or super limited) sports betting advertising in a heart beat - particularly during or adjacent (eg footy shows') to any sporting event. 

Even though i'm a potential client, those ads aren't targeted at me - as you suggest their target audience is kids, hence the silliness, and teenage boys/young men (hence their blokey, get around them vibe). Win them over and you have life long client. 

But i don't blame the bookies - they are profit making enterprises. Of course they are going to look to grow their client base.

I blame government, as it is responsible for setting the framework for how and when any product that has risks associated with it can be advertised. Slapping a gamble responsibly warning at the end of an ad is laughable. 

I’d also ban betting agencies gifting money to punters so they can entice them to lose more. I’d also legalise drugs, particularly cannabis and mushrooms but that’s me.

Edited by Roost it far
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I’d also ban betting agencies gifting money to punters so they can entice them to lose more. I’d also legalise drugs, particularly cannabis and mushrooms but that’s me.

No to banning bonus bets.

A big element of my selection and staking strategy when betting on the ponies ($50 back for 2-3rd, goes into the bank, and essentially is the same as cash, and makes the win bet much, much better value, and is basicallyan each way bet- its amazing how many places you can rack up). 

Yes to legalising ganja and psychedelics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, binman said:

A big element of my selection and staking strategy when betting on the ponies ($50 back for 2-3rd, goes into the bank, and essentially is the same as cash, and makes the win bet much, much better value, and is basicallyan each way bet- its amazing how many places you can rack up). 

These companies gift huge sums of money to problem gamblers……it’s a hard no from me

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, binman said:

I'm not arguing gambling should be banned. That would be totally unfair to the vast majority of punters who aren't problem gamblers, the same applies to alcohol & tobacco. I have no problem either with markets being set at levels that ensure profitability for the bookies/betting agencies. That's the way the (capitalist) system works. I'm probably a little less sympathetic to these industries than you are because I believe a significant percentage of their profits comes from problem gamblers, they know it, and they're happy to profit from that sector's misery.

But I agree that at the end of the day Government needs to do something about it and they won't do something about it unless they're pressured to do so. Australia has one of the weakest positions on this internationally. You can bet your bottom dollar (excuse the pun) that there's a very significant lobby presence arguing for minimal restrictions. I'd go beyond that though. Why is the AFL promoting gambling? Because all it cares about is profitability and is happy to take the easy money. To it's credit, Melbourne Football Club (and a number of other clubs) has taken a much more responsible, family-orientated approach on this issue.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

I don't have a particular position on bonus bets, but clearly it's just another way of encouraging gambling and hooking punters. You know that the agencies know exactly what it costs them and will more tham make it up elsewhere. They're not doing it because they're feeling generous!

3 minutes ago, D4Life said:

I bet nearly everyone will be deliriously happy if our Demons can win the next seven games and most importantly the last three!!

I don’t care as long as win our last game of the year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BoBo said:

Finish 2nd and don’t play GWS in finals and we’re gold.

GWS worry me. Or really, Toby Green worries me.

Yes, you can only by recent results but for some reason GWS (and Freo) have troubled us here and there over the last 3 years.

The bad news for them is their magical run of form is going to end at some stage, as it has for Port.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, binman said:

Sometimes when I’m high I bet I could stop gambling…

• Haha 3

It's really interesting to me that we are in fourth spot but according to every betting site I've checked, we are second faves to win the flag. After the tigers win we are at 4.75 after pies at 2.50.  Port @ 7 and lions@ 7.50.

Form is obviously the driver for this recent odds renewal. We firmed up after kicking 130 points. I think they have agreed that we now have a dangerous fwd line and two of the comps best players in Fritta and Oliver to soon return. 

31 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Win the Carlton game and it will be impossible for anyone not to recognise that we are the only team in town.

This town ;)

but there ARE two others 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

It's really interesting to me that we are in fourth spot but according to every betting site I've checked, we are second faves to win the flag. After the tigers win we are at 4.75 after pies at 2.50.  Port @ 7 and lions@ 7.50.

Form is obviously the driver for this recent odds renewal. We firmed up after kicking 130 points. I think they have agreed that we now have a dangerous fwd line and two of the comps best players in Fritta and Oliver to soon return. 

Form is a factor but I'd say the main reason is results. Basically Melbourne are almost no chance now of missing Top 4 (a few weeks back that wasn't the case) and sides don't win from outside the Top 4. Also we are now a realistic chance of Top 2. Collingwood are logically favourites because they will be Minor Premiers and with Melbourne a realistic chance to finish 2nd our chances of going straight into a Prelim are much-improved. All things being equal Melbourne & Collingwood would be favoured because the Grand Final will be at the MCG.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Form is a factor but I'd say the main reason is results. Basically Melbourne are almost no chance now of missing Top 4 (a few weeks back that wasn't the case) and sides don't win from outside the Top 4. Also we are now a realistic chance of Top 2. Collingwood are logically favourites because they will be Minor Premiers and with Melbourne a realistic chance to finish 2nd our chances of going straight into a Prelim are much-improved. All things being equal Melbourne & Collingwood would be favoured because the Grand Final will be at the MCG.

Given the lions form at the G, I understand the 7 Dollars fifty but don't get that they are on similar odds to port. Also port have been a clear contender all year. I would have us at this stage on equal chances as power. I guess after this weekend we are a strong chance to finish on second spot this weekend with another's game results falling our way. That said, does our clear shorter odds aa second flag faves mean agencies see us being in second spot at the end of h and a? Do other factors like finals experience come into play ? Do port struggle playing interstate as well? Thanks SD. Maybe the fact that we have beaten the pies puts us in good stead.

Ps. I dread the push from istate clubs to host a granny at home. I'm sure it's coming. The covid Gf shifts have probably set a precedent. I hope it remains where it .... .at our home ground.😀

Edited by leave it to deever