• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Run Home

The deal was struck between the AFL and the Victorian State Government.  It's not up for grabs.

I look forward to 2057 and seeing veteran Melbourne Captain George Gawn holding the cup aloft yet again with ten-time Premiership Coach and AFL Legend Charlie Spargo.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Given the lions form at the G, I understand the 7 Dollars fifty but don't get that they are on similar odds to port. Also port have been a clear contender all year. I would have us at this stage on equal chances as power. I guess after this weekend we are a strong chance to finish on second spot this weekend with another's game results falling our way. That said, does our clear shorter odds aa second flag faves mean agencies see us being in second spot at the end of h and a? Do other factors like finals experience come into play ? Do port struggle playing interstate as well? Thanks SD. Maybe the fact that we have beaten the pies puts us in good stead.

Ps. I dread the push from istate clubs to host a granny at home. I'm sure it's coming. The covid Gf shifts have probably set a precedent. I hope it remains where it .... .at our home ground.😀

There's a few factors at play here. Port are best placed in that they're a game clear but there's a significant chance that they could drop to 3rd or 4th as it only take either Brisbane or Melbourne to finish strongly over the last 4 rounds. If that happens they will have a difficult Away Qualifier. I really think they need to finish 2nd. I would say Brisbane are in a similar position. Collingwood are of course best-placed as their position is improving as they will finish top and now have a significant chance of playing either Port or Brisbane in a Qualifier at the MCG (rather than Melbourne). Also Port appear to be going through a bad patch at the moment and Geelong are favoured to beat them tonight at GMHBA, especially with Aliir Aliir out with concussion.

I'd say Port & Brisbanes' odds are about right in relation to each other but of course as a group all the teams odds are  unders with the bookies margins. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:49 AM, 58er said:

Who are you implicating with this comment?  Fading star who has suggested that? MFC haven't  and name one anyway? 

And if you are having a go at BBB then that's unfair. He helped us win in 2021 and owes us nothing more if he has to retire due to his knee fitness issues. 

No, not BBrown,  North surprisingly let him go in his prime,  2021 and 2022 were good.  This is year is patchy albeit without the robust TMac to shoulder the Key Back's physical pressure.

Not mooted by the FD but suggested on this forum by posters, Gunston, T. Walker (good this year), Buddy (possible in jest), Darling, probably others.

I have set my self a challenge specifying forwards.  Well then, Templeton, Moose Henwood, Rod Owen, Ken Roberts (an all-time favourite), Alan Davis, that guy from Footscray, Michael Pickering got a run at CHF. 

This century. I thought Dawes was quite serviceable but usurped by Weideman. Loved Ben Holland but unfortunately for him, in later years, he was competing for a place against a legend of the club.

My beef is mostly that Melbourne used to buy in responsibility in rather develop it in their rogue players, e.g. Sylvia, McClean.  They acquired the services of Lewis, Shannon Byrnes.  

I expect that many names will belatedly pop into head over the next few months.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Demonstone said:

The deal was struck between the AFL and the Victorian State Government.  It's not up for grabs.

I think you will find that the deal was with the MCC Trust which may have members appointed by the Government but they're not the Govt

The economic benefit of a non interstate team GF is relatively small in the scheme of events. Anyway it's not moving for a few years or until someone needs the money

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, binman said:

I'm a punter. I have been since i was 15. I love it - particularly the ponies.

I enjoy betting on footy, and not really because of the money, more the challenge of applying my analysis of how games might play out and hopefully getting it right. And i do better on footy that the ponies (there's way less variables, and almost all my footy bets are even money line bets).

And so i have no problems with bookies - how could i?

But if i had a magic wand, i'd ban (or super limited) sports betting advertising in a heart beat - particularly during or adjacent (eg footy shows') to any sporting event. 

Even though i'm a potential client, those ads aren't targeted at me - as you suggest their target audience is kids, hence the silliness, and teenage boys/young men (hence their blokey, get around them vibe). Win them over and you have life long client. 

But i don't blame the bookies - they are profit making enterprises. Of course they are going to look to grow their client base.

I blame government, as it is responsible for setting the framework for how and when any product that has risks associated with it can be advertised. Slapping a gamble responsibly warning at the end of an ad is laughable. 

By the by, i also believe alcohol advertising should be banned. 

Agreed, but who do you think is lobbying the government to prevent robust framework? It's the bookies. So they're not angels here.

The government should ban lobbying money, but that's a bigger conversation and problem.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@Diamond_Jim:  From the AFL's own website.

THE MCG will be the home of the Grand Final until at least 2057 under a mega-deal with the Victorian government expected to be announced on Friday.

The agreement with premier Daniel Andrews' Labor government and the AFL is part of a broader sports package that will see $225million in investment in Etihad Stadium and the Docklands precinct. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roost it far said:

How well is footy going the last 2 weeks. Weren’t we also rans? Weren’t the pie’s unstoppable? Weren’t Brisbane running hot? Weren’t PA guaranteed a home final?

Who’s driving the bus now motherfcuekrs?

Burn It Down GIF by Adult Swim

• Haha 4

Minor premiership is not over yet either. Collingwood doing their usual thing and [censored] the bed.

You beauty, but they're so exciting to watch, aren't they?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

How well is footy going the last 2 weeks. Weren’t we also rans? Weren’t the pie’s unstoppable? Weren’t Brisbane running hot? Weren’t PA guaranteed a home final?

Who’s driving the bus now motherfcuekrs?

You'd reckon goody and the other coaches would be loving watching back to back games of our contenders getting the suitcase knocked out of them.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

You can’t fix their issues in 5 weeks, they only have plan A

Which is one reason I'm loving all the different modes and methods goody has employed this season n.

We have plans A, B, C and D.

Mcrae is playing chess.

Goody is playing 5D chess.

Edited by binman
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The Hawthorn game is now a danger one for us. 

Just shows you have to be on your game every single week.

I think it’s great for the last 3 games to be against very competent sides that will try to play some footy against us. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The Hawthorn game is now a danger one for us. 

Just shows you have to be on your game every single week.

Every game is dangerous. Essendon nearly [censored] the bed against West Coast today. 
You have to be switched on. To not be switched on on the eve of the finals is a major worry. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, binman said:

Gotta build a solid foundation before you can renovate

I think he’s learning on the job. Got some good operators around him and he may still chat with Roos from time to time. I wasn’t a huge fan until the last 6-8 weeks. Thought he was too one dimensional but this year has really changed my thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I think he’s learning on the job. Got some good operators around him and he may still chat with Roos from time to time. I wasn’t a huge fan until the last 6-8 weeks. Thought he was too one dimensional but this year has really changed my thinking. 

Yes. Goody is evolving. We are lucky we still have Yze too. If we win the flag Adem perhaps coach of Richmond in 2024.

Our forward coach is suddenly OK again too 🤷‍♀️