Will our Demons have another competitor

DeeVoted

I just came across an interesting article. It may never come to be,but never say never. Norwood FC a South Australian team is “putting together a bid” to follow a Tasmanian team in joining the AFL as a 20th team.. It does say it's a rumour at this stage, would we then have the same bum fight as the 'filth' had/has with Port Power?. Same colours, same club song, know as the Norwood "Reglegs". It does also add, the AFL wouldn't allow another team to enter the AFL, with the same colours etc. but with all the sooking Pt Adelaide has made about wearing their prison jumpers, should we be ready for a off field fight? IF the bid is ever made official?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-club-putting-together-a-bid-to-be-20th-afl-team/news-story/b76ce967802c8c2d59cd4608e1c53aa2

Our Redlegs nickname may be rarely used these days, but they can ggf'd if they think they don't need to make extreme changes to their club. Stay tuned.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

If the AFL issues a 19th licence to Tassie, as seems likely, it would be strange to leave the competition with 19 teams. Surely there will either be a 20th licence issued or one of the current ones returned. So, if there is to be a 20th licence, is SA the best option? I would have thought Canberra would have been a more logical fit. I'm not expecting Darwin to get a licence because I can't see how they could hold a team together because of the distance from home for most players and the not particularly comfortable environment (meaning both the weather and lifestyle) for them to live in.   

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Suns and Giants still get bugger all fans through the gates. They are soulless franchises. 

The Giants were always going to take a very long time to build a supporter base (if ever).

The reality is that the Swans leverage off a significant number of interstaters that have relocated to Sydney. These people have adopted them as their team - they probably still retain an interest in their original teams that are Melbourne/Perth/Adelaide based but they now follow the Swans. Not that hard for most as they are usually very competitive.

The majority of these people live in the inner Suburban ring of Sydney, East, Inner West, North shore. I'd say a small % would be outer west. 

This is the swans great advantage over GWS. Junior football comps for AFL are not uncommon in these suburbs but rugby league is the main focus outside soccer when you move further west.

• Like 1

The introduction of the 19th team and the consequential issue of byes and ladder positions with an asterix will lead to a call for a solution.

It will come in the form of the 20th team. That team will require government backing. The capacity of the Norwood ground is irrelevant. Any new team from SA would play at the Adelaide Oval.

As LDC points out Canberra and Darwin are alternative possibilities as would be Perth, Townsville and even Launceston.

As usual it will be decided by television money

• Like 1

It would make sense to have a different club song but I couldn’t care less about the colours or their nickname. That’s what away / clash guernseys are for. 

There must be at least a dozen teams in the English football pyramid that wear black & white vertical stripes and call themselves The Magpies but none throw their toys out about it like Eddie Everywhere. 

• Like 4

If we must have another team from South Australia, it would be much more palatable to us Demon fans if that new team was created by the merger of two existing teams.

You could combine North Adelaide with Woodville and have a team called ... oh, I dunno ... Norwood?

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

Bit of a soft spot for Norwood. The consistent presence of a 'Team of the Red and the Blue' on the teev in September and - with ultimate success 4 times - into the weekend after the VFL had wound up, was a sneaky consolation in our dark 70s and early 80s. Almost up with occasional MFC reserves and under 19s and Sandy Zebras successes.

(Re Canberra, surely the AFL could not afford GWS's loss of that market (I use that word advisedly!...))

• Like 1
  • Love 2

If by some miracle Norwood did gain entry their rivalry with Port would easily surpass the Crows and most in the AFL.

• Like 1
  • Clap 2

3 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Suns and Giants still get bugger all fans through the gates. They are soulless franchises. 

Have you had much to do with them? GWS have worked really hard to build themselves into networks through Western Syd and Canberra. Here in Canberra there is a bit of a soul to the club.

It is going to take a generation to embed this in these markets. I don’t know what people expected. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rpfc said:

It is going to take a generation to embed this in these markets. I don’t know what people expected. 

Dont disagree but they should have invested in a Tasmanian team first then encourage North $$$ to relocate to the Gold Coast when they had the chance.

I have a soft spot for Norwood too.

Their SANFL Premiership in 1997 over the Port Adelaide Magpies was a bright spark in a very gloomy year for Melbourne who received the ignominious 'Wooden Spoon'.

However, the likelihood of the 'Redlegs' entering into the AFL is very low. Especially as all the SANFL clubs (including Norwood) teamed up to form the Adelaide Crows to prevent Port Adelaide entering the AFL in 1991.

In my opinion, I think the more likely 20th AFL team would be Darwin (Crocodiles?) or the Canberra (Cobras?). Although, we are probably a long way off that happening.

It is worth mentioning that Canberra, and the ACT in general, actually has a deep and rich history of Australian Rules Football as can be read about via this link here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football_in_the_Australian_Capital_Territory

• Like 1

I am a huge Norwood Reglegs fan, we were originally meant to be in the AFL along side Port before the Crows were even thought of!

This will never happen and i'm glad it wont as it be big decision as to who i follow.

As for the guernsey and Logo, they are different, be the same as Geel and NM really.  Norwood just have a navy blue guernsey with red trimming, and they are the Redlegs not the Demons.  would be interesting on the song though, Norwood's is different but thats the second verse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, layzie said:

The Showdown will be irrelevant.

It would become the Norwood v Port game,  are the two most successful clubs in the SANFL and a long rivalry.

Port hate Norwood as they backed out of joining the VFL in the mid 80's which meant they missed out and the crows were formed in 89

Had of it gone the way the VFL wanted Port and Norwood would have entered the VFL, meaning the Crows would have never existed.  If only we had that world!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

If this decision were made it would definitely pull at the heart strings.

Norwood FC is the reason I'm a Dee today.

Who would you barrack for if it came to pass? I’ve asked a few Demon-supporting mates from Tassie what they would do if that team comes in and the general response seems to be ‘would love a Tassie team to come into the comp but would still barrack for the Dees’

14 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

I am a huge Norwood Reglegs fan, we were originally meant to be in the AFL along side Port before the Crows were even thought of!

This will never happen and i'm glad it wont as it be big decision as to who i follow.

As for the guernsey and Logo, they are different, be the same as Geel and NM really.  Norwood just have a navy blue guernsey with red trimming, and they are the Redlegs not the Demons.  would be interesting on the song though, Norwood's is different but thats the second verse.

Surely if they are called the Redlegs and have the same song they must’ve copied MFC?  I actually am unclear on the story with Port Adelaide on whether they copied Collingwood or if the name/colours are just a coincidence