• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Next Generation Academy

Whispering_Jack

Our NGA prospect Riak Andrew is playing his first Coates League game tonight for the Dandenong Stingrays. Named down back.

He's coming up against Kynan Brown's Oakleigh Chargers. Kynan named as a rover.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Our NGA prospect Riak Andrew is playing his first Coates League game tonight for the Dandenong Stingrays. Named down back.

Can you watch these games on the AFL app like the VFL? 

20 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Hopefully he plays well but not too well :)

(We don't want him going in the top 40)

On 3/28/2023 at 1:08 PM, DistrACTION Jackson said:

100% agree. It basically means there is no point having an academy, because if you put time into them and they develop too well you don't get to take them anyway.

I can see the merit in maybe no access to top 10, but other than that I think it should be fair game.

Also, if every other team has that then the Swans & Lions should as well (different for Giants and Suns as they are still in their infancy). 

The official AFL argument for changing access to academy players was:

"the switch for NGA programs to be overseen by the AFL's talent pathway with support from the clubs. The drawback in investment from clubs into the NGA area, largely as a result of the COVID-19 slashes to football department spending, meant the League also wound back the potential draft windfalls out of the system. The model, the AFL said, allowed for the elite talents to be available to all clubs whilst ensuring prospects later in the draft can make it onto lists of the clubs that have supported their development."

What I don't think was fair was lack of recognition of past efforts made by Clubs in this area. e.g. Melbourne would have provided support pre-2020 to Mac Andrew's progress. It seems fairly obvious to me that negative reaction to Ungle-Hagen's drafting in 2020 was the major reason for the changes in 2021 & 2022. Clubs are now seeking reversal of changes but it's not going to happen this year. 

https://www.afl.com.au/news/882556/clubs-push-to-increase-access-to-own-nga-talent-amid-program-review

Having said that, I don't think we really missed out on Mac Andrew. Would Melbourne really have matched a pick at No. 5 even being able to bundle picks and applying the 20% points discount? 

I disagree with you about the Sydney & Brisbane Northern academies. It's not about the Swans & Lions. It's about enlarging the AFL talent pool in States where Australian Rules is not the preferred sport. Players can still only be taken using the same rules as father-son (bundling picks, 20% points discount) so it's not about them getting free access to players they've developed.

Finn Emile Brennan also has a game at Casey this week, although we overlooked him in the draft, could be one to watch still.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems we can add another name to our NGA prospects with Orlando Turner from NT/norwood.

176cm small forward/wing prospect who is part of the AFL academy and kicked two goals against the Blues VFL team a few weeks ago.

Don't know much else about him and doesn't seem to be in discussion for first round selection so perhaps may last to the +40 area for us to take him if worthy.

Red-hot WA duo among this year's NGA prospects - https://www.afl.com.au/news/944776

Notes from the Carlton game from rookie-me.

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2023/05/15/scouting-notes-afl-academy-vs-carlton-vfl/

#11 Orlando Turner (Norwood/Northern Territory)
16/05/2005 | 176cm | 67kg | Small Forward/Wing

The sole Northern Territory representative in the Academy ended the day as his side’s sole multiple goal kicker, taking his opportunities in the third quarter to help strengthen the Academy lead. Whilst Turner started as a small forward, it was a move to the wing in the second half that saw him really work into the game. He still applied the same level of pressure and intercepted a few Carlton forays in the front half, but also increased his production and damage with more opportunities in space. Both of Turner’s goals came from set shots; one after marking an attempted switch kick, and the other after going in for the ball and copping high contact. He could even have had a couple of more goals if he held a bit more composure on the run.

• Like 2

I posted this elsewhere but should have been here. Melbourne's NGA prospects. Haven't heard of any of them and no mention of Riak Andrew which is strange:

MELBOURNE

Luke Morrell
Alonzo Rockland-Nelson
Orlando Turner
Kaleel Ross
Buay Duac

Edited by Roger Mellie
typo
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

I posted this elsewhere but should have been here. Melbourne's NGA prospects. Haven't heard of any of them and no mention of Riak Andrew which is strange:

MELBOURNE

Luke Morrell
Alonzo Rockland-Nelson
Orlando Turner
Kaleel Ross
Buay Duac

That is a little odd about Riak.

Alonzo a strong name, hope me makes the grade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mellie said:

MELBOURNE

Luke Morrell
Alonzo Rockland-Nelson
Orlando Turner
Kaleel Ross
Buay Duac

These are the new names, the existing one's remain - so Riak and Coren are still on the list. I'm pretty sure the guys that were on the list last year also can be put back on if we want - they might have got Finn Emile-Brennan to play at Casey just to have another look at him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Demonland changed the title to Next Generation Academy
On 3/17/2023 at 2:02 AM, Supreme_Demon said:

Let's hope they implement a much fairer system for the Clubs that develop these young recruits, otherwise, the NGA for Victorian AFL Clubs is almost pointless.

No, the AFL won’t make the system fairer. It will most likely use the system to engineer outcomes such as to enable North Melbourne to get access to one of the best prospects in the country Ryley Sanders who wasn’t even on any Academy list earlier this year when the AFL put out their academy lists - 

Red-hot WA duo among this year's NGA prospects

• Angry 2

31 minutes ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

No, the AFL won’t make the system fairer. It will most likely use the system to engineer outcomes such as to enable North Melbourne to get access to one of the best prospects in the country Ryley Sanders who wasn’t even on any Academy list earlier this year when the AFL put out their academy lists - 

Red-hot WA duo among this year's NGA prospects

In my opinion Dan Andrews should be the Chairman of the AFL, they fit together like hand and glove.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Facepalm 2

For clubs outside of Qld and NSW, NGA is a complete waste of time.  Clubs in other states did but some effort in prior to the rules being changed, now it is a couple of training runs not much more.

Lucky for us we have a father son in the GCS academy, hopefully they are developing him for the 2025 draft.

• Like 2

I can't believe people are still bitter & twisted about missing out on Mac Andrew. He went at Pick 5. A 25% discount would have meant we had to give up the equivalent of Pick 10 in points to get him. We used picks 19, 39 & 65 to get Jacob Van Rooyen, Blake Howes & Taj Woewodin which in points is about the same as Pick 10. I know who got the better deal (and it wasn't Gold Coast!).

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Sydney_Demon said:

I can't believe people are still bitter & twisted about missing out on Mac Andrew. He went at Pick 5. A 25% discount would have meant we had to give up the equivalent of Pick 10 in points to get him. We used picks 19, 39 & 65 to get Jacob Van Rooyen, Blake Howes & Taj Woewodin which in points is about the same as Pick 10. I know who got the better deal (and it wasn't Gold Coast!).

Some people choose only to focus on their loss.

Sad Baby GIF

Edited by TRIGON

2 minutes ago, old55 said:

So why are you "still pretty salty"? I'm happy with the outcome

Love the outcome it's been great! I didn't like how the system worked though and missing out on an NGA player, regardless of how good they are or aren't currently. 

Doesn't matter though, we got our guy in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:53 PM, darkhorse72 said:

Geelong must have some players coming through their NGA they  want access too...

But seriously, maybe they look at the level of resources and length of time allocated to a player to determine whether a club can have priority over them.  And they make the rules the same for all clubs and not have exceptions for the "non-football" state teams.  

I think you might find clubs like Hawthorn would also be pushing this agenda, as their Dingley project included a healthy NGA component as reasoning for the development. It is to have around 6 ovals and they have pushed hard to relocate the state’s largest junior league (SMJFL) to have free use of their first class facility once completed... so they can pick the eyes out of the 8 year olds.

The same league whose GM sought meetings with Pert to build a relationship while NGAs were still in play, but was fobbed off. We could be handing out junior welcome packs full of merch branded with MFC and paid for wholly by sponsors to every kid in the league, but we (he) didn’t see any benefit in it. This is how a club like Richmond grew their brand & membership base - carpet bombing the whole of the Cardinia region & beyond, and even encroaching heavily on ours while we chose to neglect it & give them a free pass.

One of my black marks against his name.

Edited by Mach5
  • Thanks 1