Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

8 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

That's what he used to be praised for prior to his injury

Was lauded for the work below his knees at CBs after the bounce and was often seen to be almost like having an extra mid (post the ruck contest).

Think he has lost half a yard and no longer as clean with his hands either. 

This is not the AA Grundy we were used to seeing dominate the odd game here and there pre-injury with the Pies.

He can also barely get off the ground at the moment.

He is still very handy but it's a diff version of himself post injury.

Grundy will continue to improve even with time in VFL and the dees will benefit big time. Watch this space as Grundy returns to his best form

All this media trash talk is meaningless Stick to the plan Melbourne it is a good plan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Ooohhhhh another debut. Tasty.

Sadly they won’t be able to do a video of me telling my parents.

Maybe they could do one of me telling my grandchildren.

Edited by Redleg
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Buckley is entitled to his opinion and is better placed than anyone else on here to give one. 

Because of his decorated coaching career? 
His successor took the same list from bottom 4 to top 4 in a single season. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

48 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Because of his decorated coaching career? 
His successor took the same list from bottom 4 to top 4 in a single season. 

I do think he's entitled to his opinion.

He does however have no knowledge of the inner workings at MFC and can't read Brodie's mind. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, beelzebub said:

From the esteemed idiots at the HUN

"Brodie Grundy would be open to a move to a new club to play ruck if he cannot get back into the Melbourne side playing a combination of ruck and forward.

The not so esteemed HS has ignored that little word 'if'!

Of course he will be back in the side playing ruck fwd!

Its click bait! 

And of course a heap of other media scribes jump on the headline and miss a crucial little word. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Buckley is entitled to his opinion and is better placed than anyone else on here to give one. 

He has opinions 

He feels entitled..

There...fixed

• Haha 1

My take is that the Grundy move is primarily part of our finals strategy: 

• Petty will not play as a tall fwd.
  • we are accepting of 4th on the ladder with the double chance: 
  • we don't need to win the rest of the games.
  • we now know the other contenders, their systems, strengths and weaknesses. 
  • we have the luxury of testing finals tactics over the coming weeks to defeat those contenders.

if my hunch is right Grundy would know and be a willing participant in these finals plans. 

Am expecting to see different fwd half tactics when Grundy returns to the seniors in readiness for finals. 

A few fwd half surprises for opps in finals would be fun!!

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 7
  • Thinking 1

51 minutes ago, layzie said:

He does however have no knowledge of the inner workings at MFC and can't read Brodie's mind. 

Of course he's entitled to his opinion. Doesn't mean his opinion means anything.

• Love 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

24 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

He has opinions 

He feels entitled..

There...fixed

9 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Of course he's entitled to his opinion. Doesn't mean his opinion means anything.

Um, what is Buckley's opinion...I can't seem to find the relevant post...

Edited by Lucifers Hero

Just now, layzie said:

I couldn't either, I was just going off DLers which is always a smart thing to do..

LOL!!

Layzie, I reckon you are smarter than going all in with 'group think'!!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

His opinion is that you can't turn Grundy into a forward. 

He is right.

As I said in an earlier post that is not what we are trying to do and the media have misread the reason for the move.  imv it is to give Grundy a specific role within our fwd structure not as a KPF or necessarily a high goal scorer.  And to develop fwd strategies to win finals.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2

Buckley is entitled to his opinion and is no better placed than anyone else on here to give one. 

fixed it for you

he has:

• nothing to do with the mfc coaches
  • nothing to do with the mfc players
  • nothing to do with mfc board

he's no more an expert than anyone on this message board - in fact, i would speculate that we watch the mfc games a lot more closely and with just as analytical eye as figjam as we are emotionally invested in the club and he's just another talking head on the tv

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

20 hours ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

I think you’ve got to balance what’s in that article with the fact that Tom Browne is one of the [redacted] [redacted] in an industry populated almost exclusively by [redacted] [redacted]. 

I don't need much in the area of imagination to figure out what you're intending to say there!!! And I would agree with you!

• Haha 1

Very handy back up ruckman for the main gig which is obviously Max.

A handy sub if that's where we decide to place him or a secondary ruckman a-la the way NFL teams have a back up QB.

He isn't a KF and on career averages him (and Max) only kick approx one goal every other match.

Other than to push forward and stretch their opposing ruckman or give a +1 look.  Taking the odd mark inside 50 and occasionaly kicking the odd bonus goal, there is no point having either of them playing significant time as a forward imv,  unless of course we have a KT injured in-game and/or in need of signifiant bench rest time.

When they (we) do play signifcant time forward (in an attempt at a KF style fill in role) they simply clog the forward line for other mobile genuine forwards who are more likely to get the job (of a forward) done much more effectively in terms of marking, or gathers plus accuracy / conversion.

Just as a KF generally isn't and doesn't play signifcant minutes as the main ruck at CBs and we don't attempt or expect to turn them into one, nor should we be expecting Grundy to become much better than a handy chop out KF role for some minor minutes when played there.  Especially this late in his career.

Grundy also takes about half the number of contested marks and marks inside 50 than Max.  This year he is more accurate than max when he does take a shot (approx 63% vs Max 40%) but takes less shots at goal than max (probably spending more time forward) meaning in the end they are roughly on par averaging 0.6 goals per match so far.

Their career accuracy average is the same at approx 45%, which i assume is about average (or thereabouts) for a regular experienced decent AFL main ruckman.

If it were me i'd be focussing more on getting Grundy somewhere back towards his AA form after the ruck contest at ground level as well as his contested marking in general around the ground.

The former is where he was very damaging pre-injury with the Pies and where his major strength layed.

Even then i would not be expecting much improvement here this season. 

Don't get me wrong, still very serviceable as is....but might need another pre-season to push back to somewhere closer to his AA ruck form pre-injury.

I don't often agree with Bucks but in the main i feel he is correct here imho.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

He is right.

As I said in an earlier post that is not what we are trying to do and the media have misread the reason for the move.  imv it is to give Grundy a specific role within our fwd structure not as a KPF or necessarily a high goal scorer.  And to develop fwd strategies to win finals.

He is wrong, because as you said, his assertion, like the rest of the media, is that we are trying to turn him into a 40 goal a season KPF. We are not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

So Grundy gets demoted for one week to the twos and the media imeediatley start to make the call he's being traded again - talk about knee jerk reactions and rumor mungering.  If it goes on for the rest of the season and Grundy doesn't play another game, this season (including finals), then I could understand the trade rumors.

Grundy and Gawn kicked 6 goals and 3 goals between them in of our practice matches this season against Richmond and St Kilda and the media were fawning all over it:

New ‘double threat’ ominous as Dees ‘blueprint’ emerges: 18yo’s ‘exciting’ glimpses: 3-2-1

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-preseason-2023-st-kilda-saints-v-melbourne-demons-match-simulation-live-updates-score-stats-video-stream-result-news-blog/news-story/cf6ec8d981d2b8f225360391a22199ce

The fickle and headline attention seeking nature of the media make me sick at times.

Listening to Max on 774 last Saturday, he was still adamant that he was a believer in Brody and the shared ruck / forward scenario could work and was taking the kind of mature attitude about it that you wish the media would.  Yes, you would expect him to take that attitude as both captain and current team member, but I do love his unwavering commitment to the concept of making the team better and supporting his team mates.  In the circumstances I think we need to try every option we have to get more goals out of our forward line and both Max and Gawn have shown reasonable ability to take marks and kick goals throughout their careers, so it's no long shot at all IMHO.  Maybe we just need to think a little more outside the square and have Brody and/or Max running off a wing or half forward back towards goal and using their athletisim rather than starting deep.  Anyways, I'll be fascinated to see how it all eventuates, but it isn't a forgone conclusion where it ends up for me.  Who in the media saw us winning the premiership or even finals in 2021 at the start of the year?  Not many.

I reckon the Media wait for anything we do to NOT work.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

Sadly they won’t be able to do a video of me telling my parents.

Maybe they could do one of me telling my grandchildren.

It's not all (at all) about you Redleg.

• Haha 1