• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2023 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

15 hours ago, Nascent said:

Good question @Binmans PA

Key Forward:

- JvR: now established best 22

- Petty: is the question mark. Does he play forward, back or play as a genuine swing man.

- Jefferson: developing and probably minimum 2 years away from being relied on to contribute.

- Ben Brown, T-Mac and Schache all could be in the their last year next season and realistically we wouldn't want to be having them in our plan A.

I think one of those three would have to move on in 2024. Sadly, it might be Ben Brown whose body seems to no longer be able to come up from week to week. Perhaps a playing role at Casey as part of their list and mentoring our young forwards. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Perfect fit for us with our teens pick if he’s available!

The lad has a body readymade for AFL. They say he requires time to develop, but already has the tank by all accounts. After all NGA's I don't think he is still there at current our 2nd pick. A good option to replace May in a few years time. Given we are now likely to miss out on Curtin, we need to snare a KPD and allow him to develop under May's tutelage. 

Perhaps we can organize a 3-way trade with Suns and GWS, which is just the Sun Pick 4/5 scenario then split with GWS's 7 and 11. It would look something like:

GWS get Pick 5, F1 (min 2900) and give 7,11 (2923)... Benefit: GWS Jump 2 spots up in the draft and get another pick in 2024 in Round 1 at really no loss to them. Worst case is if we finish 1st, then they lose the equivalent of 40 odd points. 

Melbourne get 4,7,11 (5007) and give 5, F1 (GWS - min 2900)  15, 23, 33 (Suns) (2490). .. Benefit 3 1st round picks - yes its a pipe dream, but we are giving up more than we are gaining. May need to use some of the incoming pics to get for the potential loss of Tommo and Grundy and others to sweeten the deal with GWS. 

Suns get 15,23,33 (2490) and give Pick 4 (2023) Benefit. They get an extra 400 pts to be used on academy players taking their tally to approx 4800 pts. 

We then have picks 4,7,11 and try to take 3 of McKercher, Watson, Duursma  & O'Sullivan. 

We would probably need to do some additional trading to get enough points to also secure Brown, but maybe the Grundy / Tommo F2 and F3 respectively will be sufficient for Kynan. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

The lad has a body readymade for AFL. They say he requires time to develop, but already has the tank by all accounts. After all NGA's I don't think he is still there at current our 2nd pick. A good option to replace May in a few years time. Given we are now likely to miss out on Curtin, we need to snare a KPD and allow him to develop under May's tutelage. 

Perhaps we can organize a 3-way trade with Suns and GWS, which is just the Sun Pick 4/5 scenario then split with GWS's 7 and 11. It would look something like:

GWS get Pick 5, F1 (min 2900) and give 7,11 (2923)... Benefit: GWS Jump 2 spots up in the draft and get another pick in 2024 in Round 1 at really no loss to them. Worst case is if we finish 1st, then they lose the equivalent of 40 odd points. 

Melbourne get 4,7,11 (5007) and give 5, F1 (GWS - min 2900)  15, 23, 33 (Suns) (2490). .. Benefit 3 1st round picks - yes its a pipe dream, but we are giving up more than we are gaining. May need to use some of the incoming pics to get for the potential loss of Tommo and Grundy and others to sweeten the deal with GWS. 

Suns get 15,23,33 (2490) and give Pick 4 (2023) Benefit. They get an extra 400 pts to be used on academy players taking their tally to approx 4800 pts. 

We then have picks 4,7,11 and try to take 3 of McKercher, Watson, Duursma  & O'Sullivan. 

We would probably need to do some additional trading to get enough points to also secure Brown, but maybe the Grundy / Tommo F2 and F3 respectively will be sufficient for Kynan. 

I don’t think the Sun would be happy with that deal- they can do a whole lot better than 400 points improvement with all the clubs that will be chasing that pick. 
I do like you’re thinking of getting involved in a 3 way deal and think we should absolutely go after GWS pick 7. 
Think our own first and future first along with pick 34 should get it done. GWS would then have more than enough to make a deal with the Suns. 
We would then have pick 4/5 and 7 plus pick 23/24. 
7 would hopefully be enough to get COS

Id like to see us hold onto pick 23/24. Although it will get pushed out closed out to pick 30  There seems to be a real blanket over the players anywhere between pick 15 and 30 this year. It also seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for JT and you would think one that he rates will slide to that pick. 

Edited by Colm
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 10:49 PM, Binmans PA said:

What are our list needs / holes right now?

Key Forwards/Backs

as many have mentioned, we didn't really replace Majak, Brown, Jackson and Weid last year, Smith has played the most games in a season of his career remarkably, Tomlinson still isn't trusted and Grundy experiment clearly failed.

TMac, BBB and Schache would all be potentially on the chopping block for 2024 so we need mature bodies. we're one JVR or May injury away from serious turmoil.

Agree our first pick needs to be a best available mid tho, hopefully McKercher and the O'Sullivan links excite me. Im scared of Caddy and Duursma's ability against fully grown men compared to other kids as well as their consistency and i don't like swingmen like Curtain who spend 4 years being moved around and unsettled it stalls their development massively

• Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 10:32 PM, Binmans PA said:

I reckon the draft pool could be moot for us and we'll try and trade for experienced needs in the right age bracket.

That would be incredibly short sighted. 13 of Sunday's starting 22 will be 28 or over by the start of next season.

We have a deeply unbalanced and rapidly aging list, and desperately need to add quality young talent.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, Turner said:

Key Forwards/Backs

as many have mentioned, we didn't really replace Majak, Brown, Jackson and Weid last year, Smith has played the most games in a season of his career remarkably, Tomlinson still isn't trusted and Grundy experiment clearly failed.

TMac, BBB and Schache would all be potentially on the chopping block for 2024 so we need mature bodies. we're one JVR or May injury away from serious turmoil.

Agree our first pick needs to be a best available mid tho, hopefully McKercher and the O'Sullivan links excite me. Im scared of Caddy and Duursma's ability against fully grown men compared to other kids as well as their consistency and i don't like swingmen like Curtain who spend 4 years being moved around and unsettled it stalls their development massively

Wasn't that Jefferson and Adams?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Dear Santa Taylor

In order

2 x midfielders with genuine footskills who can kick and hit a target. 

1x tall defender 

Kynan Brown as a rookie 

and …maybe if there’s room 

1x goalkicking forward (if both BBB and Tmcd retire) 

How is Riak Andrew looking for a Cat B spot?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sydee said:

Wasn't that Jefferson and Adams?

but they aren't ready for afl exposure yet. we need mature bodies whilst we are at the top of the ladder competing for flags

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turner said:

but they aren't ready for afl exposure yet. we need mature bodies whilst we are at the top of the ladder competing for flags

That was Grundy (replacing Jackson) - the others you mentioned weren't really getting game time anyway (Daw, Brown, Weid)

Unfortunately, Grundy hasn't been able to deliver what we all hoped - so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poita said:

That would be incredibly short sighted. 13 of Sunday's starting 22 will be 28 or over by the start of next season.

We have a deeply unbalanced and rapidly aging list, and desperately need to add quality young talent.

Rubbish. The place where we have a list hole is between Oliver at 26yo and Petty at 23y9m - we have no-one in that bracket and should be looking hard at FAs and pre-FAs to fill it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

We can’t solve all our issues in one draft we need another quality skilful mid 186-192cm,  tall gun defender / fwd 196 - 200cm, plus one other half fwd / half back and Kynan Brown. Comeon JT & TL we have the currency bring it on. We will need to clear some space and that will be tough but we can’t look a gift horse in the mouth.!!!

We have a premiership calibre team today. This draft should be about getting high impact players who can start to hit their straps 2-3 years from now and help us avoid a dip as our core ages. I want high ceiling talent. I care not for AFL ready bodies. Rarely do these players look like the right choice 5 years on. 

• Like 3

I do like the discussion on Connor O’Sullivan as an option with a pick in the late first round.  Great size for key defender and is a very good mark.   If we didn’t have Adams, he’d be a near certainty for the Dees.  
But I’m still firmly looking at a quality midfielder with our (Freo Jacko compo) pick. 

Don’t be gun shy of Daniel Curtin. He’s a quality quality player. Sure he’s played all positions this year but he reminded me of Bont in his draft year. He’ll settle as a mid but could do a Pavlich and be used anywhere to great effect. Though it’s academic because Eagles will likely use pick 2 on  him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer Dee said:

We have a premiership calibre team today. This draft should be about getting high impact players who can start to hit their straps 2-3 years from now and help us avoid a dip as our core ages. I want high ceiling talent. I care not for AFL ready bodies. Rarely do these players look like the right choice 5 years on. 

i'm going to go slightly against this...

whoever we pick with our first pick this year i expect to be part of our starting side

we've not had the opportunity to inject high-end talent since dog, koz, and rivers at the end of 2019 - all were regulars in 2020 and premiership players the year after

be it duursma, mckercher, sanders, watson, or another, i'm expecting we'll be bringing in a 'ready-made' player at the pointy end of this year's draft who by natural talent will become a part of the side immediately

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

whoever we pick with our first pick this year i expect to be part of our starting side

we've not had the opportunity to inject high-end talent since dog, koz, and rivers at the end of 2019 - all were regulars in 2020 and premiership players the year after

be it duursma, mckercher, sanders, watson, or another, i'm expecting we'll be bringing in a 'ready-made' player at the pointy end of this year's draft who by natural talent will become a part of the side immediately

I'm in this boat. Looking at some of our direct competitors, Port have Butters, Rozee and JHF as a young powerful midfield combination that will challenge for years, Brisbane have had their midfield supercharged by the arrival of one Ashcroft with another on the way (Fletcher looks more than handy too) and Collingwood have had their entire trajectory changed when Nick Daicos walked through the door.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think that a player of that calibre and capacity to impact early can be found in the first 5 picks of this draft.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Vitamin Dee said:

Love the look of O’Sullivan. Perfect for the succession plan of a key deference post. Looks a smart composed player, with plenty of growth left. 

Couldn't agree more Vita D😁

Edited by Kent
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I do like the discussion on Connor O’Sullivan as an option with a pick in the late first round.  Great size for key defender and is a very good mark.   If we didn’t have Adams, he’d be a near certainty for the Dees.  
But I’m still firmly looking at a quality midfielder with our (Freo Jacko compo) pick. 

Don’t be gun shy of Daniel Curtin. He’s a quality quality player. Sure he’s played all positions this year but he reminded me of Bont in his draft year. He’ll settle as a mid but could do a Pavlich and be used anywhere to great effect. Though it’s academic because Eagles will likely use pick 2 on  him. 

O'Sullivan's isn't dropping out to a late first rounder..

He'll either go just inside top 10 or outside of that.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Agreed and some of those that go in top 10 will be academy players. Walters for sure, Sanders if North get access, Reid is a shout as well. Connor will probably go in the first 7/8 live picks. 4/5 might be a bit early to pick  him so we are going to have to target another pick inside the top 10 to be a chance. 

8 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

I get what you're saying but Kozi and jacko played early on in 2020 but would you call them 'ready made' plug and play talent? 

I reckon it was the next year before they were impact players. Have either hit their ceiling yet? Probably not.

i guess what I'm saying is I want a high talent ceiling not a physical specimen that dominates against kids. They can of course play straight away and hopefully impact but that shouldn't be the priority imo.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Dont we have pick 15 and 22 or so either might be enough for Sandra

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Dont we have pick 15 and 22 or so either might be enough for Sandra

I think you find we'll be trying to use pick 15 as part of a package we'll put together to get Gold Coast pick 5.

• Like 2