• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What They Are Saying at Alberton

Lucifers Hero

2 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

It's particularly funny to see because i know a lot of Port People who were desperately hoping we'd beat Geelong in the prelim because they thought we were no chance of beating them in the grand final. 

I think they'll show up and have a crack but we will win the big moments and win by 3-4 goals, we seem to be operating in first gear at the moment and banking in wins. 

Here in Adelaide, many of my acquantances are Port supporters (strange that!) What you say is true, DS; their GF aspirations were centred on playing the Dees (because they could beat the Dees allegedly). Then, in mere days, it became embarassing for them and so they (nearly) all jumped ship, becoming Dees supporters with a deep knowledge of Dees' players and respective strengths.

Most of these turncoats had MFC flags prominently displayed in their front yards, the facade of the triple-fronted brick veneers, in trees and dangling from their motor cars.

After the GF, I became a very popular footy fan and quite the footballing authority!

Streaming from my Port friends and many strangers were a series of continuous pats on the back, congratulatory comments on the game and predictions of the short-term to medium-term invincibility of the Mighty Red 'n Blue. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Port were stiff with injuries against Brisbane and they were superior in general play against Hawthorn and Adelaide but inefficient. This won't be an easy game.

That said, we will win by a margin if we are at our best.

They were not superior against Whorethorn. 
they were thrashed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Here in Adelaide, many of my acquantances are Port supporters (strange that!) What you say is true, DS; their GF aspirations were centred on playing the Dees (because they could beat the Dees allegedly). 

Some took this to the point of extreme delusion apparently...
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/melbourne-demons/afl-grand-final-2021-letter-to-max-gawn-from-port-adelaide-fan-funny-melbourne-vs-western-bulldogs-demons-captain/news-story/e26b898df6723dc2fc609da64cf600a6

I won't write them off entirely as you do need to respect the opposition. But in hindsight, if the Doggies withdrew from the GF with mass COVID infections, I reckon we could have given Geelong's 2007 grand final margin a decent shake based on how meekly they capitulated in that prelim.

I have a feeling we’re due to drop a game to either port or GWS  , coming off a couple of 6 day breaks and both opposition sides being really under the pump with their seasons now on the line , I think we may get caught out on an average night. But starting the season 4-1 would still be a fantastic result given injuries in the backline and our delayed preseason , as most have said we still have a few more gears to go up as the season progresses. 

Some late "ins" to this thread:

Gawn and Jackson? No wuckers...

Expect our run of low scoring fourth quarters to continue as Gawn & Jackson grind Lycett into the dirt.

Also expecting Lever to have a blinder, running around like an unregistered dog.

Gawn and Jackson are going to have an absolute field day. Doubt we as a team get much more than 15 hit outs all game and their mids will have the ball dished out on a platter.

No Ben Brown port get a break there

Wow, only one change after that pathetic effort. Melbourne are gonna [censored] us.

If our mids don't play the games of their lives, this could be seriously messy. If giving the best midfield in the comp and even bigger advantage in the middle by playing an out of form ruck Vs the best ruckman and ruck combination isn't bad enough, we have gone in with a small forward line with Melb playing May, Lever & Tomlinson. If we play our usual bomb it in long, Hinkley is got even less idea than we already think he does..... Not to mention we could lose this by over 100 points.

And my favourite. The first sentence from an article on the Port web site:

Port Adelaide enters the biggest test in AFL football - challenging the defending premier

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

I have a feeling we’re due to drop a game to either port or GWS  , coming off a couple of 6 day breaks and both opposition sides being really under the pump with their seasons now on the line , I think we may get caught out on an average night. But starting the season 4-1 would still be a fantastic result given injuries in the backline and our delayed preseason , as most have said we still have a few more gears to go up as the season progresses. 

I can see GWS getting us. They always match up well. We recently really like playing at Adelaide. all  the way back to 2014.  I was there for 2017 and my word do they get salty!

• Haha 1

Over the last few years, when I get the chance I have had a look at opposition team's threads in the lead up to the game.  Partly as you get an insight into tactics (where they think they have the edge), selection but probably mostly to temper my own expectations when relying on the echo chamber of demonland / dees fb pages.

Often things I think are delusional from an opposition supporter are very similar to what we would write about our own players / team.  Having said that, as everyone watched us dismantle the Dogs in the GF in minutes, we now have an aura among opposition supporters.

In terms of this week's game, some of the things the Port fans have written are about their club and coach are about as dire as I've seen (and they've made preliminary finals the last few years!) e.g.:

My head says lose. It's for the greater good of the club, to get this regime out. But my heart says win. It goes against everything I was brought up to believe in, it goes against everything I value and love about the club. I feel ashamed of myself to be doing it, but I want us to lose, to get these awful current custodians out. Least that's what I hope will happen, because hopes the only thing I got left.

It’s a sad state of affairs when I’ll be more disappointed with a win.

That's how I'm feeling.this morning. A sense of dread if we win.

The only thing I can compare for us would be the end of Mark Neeld's tenure... but we hadn't made finals in years at that point.  Having said that, I remember in 2020 when we started to find some form and came up against Port and got smashed.  Despite being the top of the table, their supporters were equally pessimistic about their coach and team and expected us to smash them.

32 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

kick straight early Demons and Port will drop off like a dead Autumn Leaf

Clarry loves the Adelaide Oval

I was at this game with my family in the top of the main grandstand.

When Clarry slotted this one, I yelled out to everyone "How good was that"

Didn't get much of a response.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

You filmed the night 

I remember watching it

On 4/5/2022 at 5:33 PM, Fat Tony said:

Port were stiff with injuries against Brisbane and they were superior in general play against Hawthorn and Adelaide but inefficient. This won't be an easy game.

That said, we will win by a margin if we are at our best.

They were absolutely destroyed against Hawthorn. They were lucky it wasn't 100+ points. They all threw themselves at the ball, won possession and then coughed it up every single time. They were deplorable beyond the first contest and Hawthorn greatly out-strategised and out-played them.

Port look very Melbourne circa 2007 to me. Lots of hope but just missing *something*. Could be the beginning of the end for them in this premiership window. We should win by 40+ imo. I think they're done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, In Harmes Way said:

After attending games in Perth and Adelaide I've noticed that locals do not appreciate and recognise good football when they see it if it's not from their team. In Victoria and even Sydney, we'll applaud and nod in approval at a good mark or goal. In Perth I almost got stabbed for cheering on a strong contested by a Richmond player whilst at an Eagles vs Tigers game. All I said was, "Ooof good mark!" and everyone looked at me and one member even said "Yeah he marked the ball, big deal". Like, it was a good mark in traffic mate. Calm down. It's not like I had sex with your wife?

1 hour ago, In Harmes Way said:

That was the first Game that Petracca went into the middle and won us a game!

44 minutes ago, praha said:

They were absolutely destroyed against Hawthorn. They were lucky it wasn't 100+ points. They all threw themselves at the ball, won possession and then coughed it up every single time. They were deplorable beyond the first contest and Hawthorn greatly out-strategised and out-played them.

Port look very Melbourne circa 2007 to me. Lots of hope but just missing *something*. Could be the beginning of the end for them in this premiership window. We should win by 40+ imo. I think they're done. 

I hope you are right about the result tonight. I still think it will be a tough game and I don't think Port's form line is as bad as has been reported.

The stats on the Port vs Hawthorn game showed Port winning inside 50 easily and they had +1 on shots on goal. Hawthorn also kicked 13 straight from set shots which made a big difference. Hawthorn have been able to walk in a lot of goals this year and Port's defence has been breaking down, leaking goals out the back. Hopefully we can do the same again tonight.

1 minute ago, Fat Tony said:

I hope you are right about the result tonight. I still think it will be a tough game and I don't think Port's form line is as bad as has been reported.

The stats on the Port vs Hawthorn game showed Port winning inside 50 easily and they had +1 on shots on goal. Hawthorn also kicked 13 straight from set shots which made a big difference. Hawthorn have been able to walk in a lot of goals this year and Port's defence has been breaking down, leaking goals out the back. Hopefully we can do the same again tonight.

I watched the whole game, as I don’t have any Rupert TV

Port were thrashed by Whorethorn all night, they were never a threat. 
stats don’t always give a good indication 

Not sure why they are so pessimistic. I give them a reasonable chance of claiming the upset. We deserve to start favorites but i cant see it being a blowout.

They are actually a decent side that is out of form early.

• Like 1