Welcome to Demonland: Jacob Van Rooyen

MadAsHell

6 hours ago, rjay said:

Agree with some of what you say 'Jimmy'...

...but not the Balta comparison.

I think Balta is more athlete than footballer, a little dumb at times.

I think JVR is a more natural footballer but not overly athletically gifted.

...maybe a slightly smarter & agile version of our own Tommy Mac.

He's certainly not the 2nd coming of David Schwartz as some have likened him.

Why not?? Lets talk him up, I liked what I saw at Casey and at training and I firmly believe he will be the next Schwarta at the Dees🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Why not?? Lets talk him up, I liked what I saw at Casey and at training and I firmly believe he will be the next Schwarta at the Dees🤩

He would already be playing if he was 'picket'...

He doesn't have the agility or ariel ability of the pre knee Schwartz.

• Like 1

Got to wonder what people are watching when they say he reminds them of Noah Balta, Jacob Weitering and Jack Riewoldt.

Balta is all athlete, Weitering is very dour but a smooth mover and Jack is as mercurial as a big forward can be. JVR is nothing like any of them. 

He's hustle, bustle, reach and grab, push off and mark. 2nd and 3rd efforts on the deck. He's all heart. A bit of Hogan with more athleticism, a bit of mihocek with a bit more height and reach. 

• Like 10

Just watched all his goals in the VFL - Looks an absolute beauty to me.

Great set of hands. Can jump too. Kicked a large number of goals in general play. Good set shot kicking action. Decent agility. Good pressure acts and just stays involved in the play.

Those shoulders are huge. He will be an absolute tank. 

Can already hear the ‘Rooooooo’ calls at the G when he clunks one.  Crowd favourite for sure. 

Sign him up 

Go Dees 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, FarNorthernD said:

The kid must be feeling 10 feet tall and bullet proof at the moment. 
Imagine being 19 years old and running around the colosseum while 40,000+ people yell Rooooo as you slot 3 goals on debut. How bloody cool would that be…!

Gets to play in front of his mates and family again this week too.

• Like 5

On 4/3/2023 at 8:16 PM, FarNorthernD said:

The kid must be feeling 10 feet tall and bullet proof at the moment. 
Imagine being 19 years old and running around the colosseum while 40,000+ people yell Rooooo as you slot 3 goals on debut. How bloody cool would that be…!

Well, only if your name was Roo, otherwise you'd probably think you were being booed or that Roo doesn't really work as an appropriate nickname for AF.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another very sound game today - he certainly has a look of confidence and even though he only had 3 kicks and 6 hand passes he was always involved and a threat when the ball was in the vicinity. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

He competed really well last night considering some of the forward delivery was horrendous, which is my concern for him moving forward.

The kid was almost subbed off through no fault of his own as he did not lose the will to compete and impact the game. We need to find a way to help him get some easier possessions which will continue to build his confidence. This is something Goody needs to address.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

He competed really well last night considering some of the forward delivery was horrendous, which is my concern for him moving forward.

The kid was almost subbed off through no fault of his own as he did not lose the will to compete and impact the game. We need to find a way to help him get some easier possessions which will continue to build his confidence. This is something Goody needs to address.

We need to move the ball better. I still think he will need someone to share duties with as a connector tall getting ball on the logos. Gawn rarely does this as a forward and never in quick transition - which is how you get JVR easier footy.

One thing I will say for Goodwin - he is experimenting and seeing different things and I appreciate it after 2022.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, rpfc said:

We need to move the ball better. I still think he will need someone to share duties with as a connector tall getting ball on the logos. Gawn rarely does this as a forward and never in quick transition - which is how you get JVR easier footy.

One thing I will say for Goodwin - he is experimenting and seeing different things and I appreciate it after 2022.

I should add that I am being dismissive of Petty and his forward craft. Just don’t see it sorry. Good swing man but…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demonised said:

He really got scragged, jumper dragged, interfered with in general, not one umpire saw anything. He kept going though,  good sign.

Richmond players were getting free kicks for running into players and falling over. How those umpires could not see an opponent pull him to the ground near goal in the last was beyond me. I could see it and I was in the nosebleed section of the members.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1