2021 Player Reviews: #13 Clayton Oliver

Demonland

To think that Clayton Oliver is only about 25% through his career. He is still only quite young at about 24 years old.

He can only get better. I can imagine him playing well over 300 AFL games too for the Demons.

He is an absolute super star and hopefully will have the desire to win many more Premierships at the Demons and be one of our greatest players ever.

Love ya Clarrie!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

To think that Clayton Oliver is only about 25% through his career. He is still only quite young at about 24 years old.

He can only get better. I can imagine him playing well over 300 AFL games too for the Demons.

He is an absolute super star and hopefully will have the desire to win many more Premierships at the Demons and be one of our greatest players ever.

Love ya Clarrie!

Without meaning to be a downer, I’ll be surprised if he makes it to 300. He’s a human battering ram whose arms already have to be taped on by his dodgy shoulders.

I’ll settle for him leading the dynasty until he’s 28 before he starts to struggle with injuries though.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Without meaning to be a downer, I’ll be surprised if he makes it to 300. He’s a human battering ram whose arms already have to be taped on by his dodgy shoulders.

I’ll settle for him leading the dynasty until he’s 28 before he starts to struggle with injuries though.

Go the way of Nat Fyfe but with a trifecta of premierships maybe.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

In the latest Gus and Gawny, Gus describes Oliver as "...looks like superman, no-one can tackle him".

It will be scary for the opposition to have two immovable forces in the middle who can both turn on the jets at will.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

In the latest Gus and Gawny, Gus describes Oliver as "...looks like superman, no-one can tackle him".

It will be scary for the opposition to have two immovable forces in the middle who can both turn on the jets at will.

Deceptively strong. That footage of him being tackled by two players and he still gets a decent kick in was freakish.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Is he better than Trac?

He works harder I reckon.

I think he is but it's close.

Great to have the two.

Not sure who works harder as they play different roles.  Oliver is in the thick of it to get the ball, Petracca is the burst player to go forward.  Yep, great to have the two.

Who is better?  Depends on criteria and one's emotional investment in each player.

But, now that Oliver has learnt to hold his ground in or run out of a pack, instead of treating the ball as a hot potato and blindly hand pass out of congestion, I reckon he has a few more levels of improvement.

Now that is a truly scary thought.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Is he better than Trac?

Great to have the two.

Yep he is better than Track and I think him close to being the Best player in the Competition

After a very long time, I'm getting over my deep seated animosity towards my father "guiding" me down the path of being a dees supporter. Hopefully my son doesn't feel the same way.

Very much down to our star studded lineup. When Clarry did that one handed pickup under pressure against the Hawks (2016/7?), I knew we were onto a winner. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Not sure who works harder as they play different roles.  Oliver is in the thick of it to get the ball, Petracca is the burst player to go forward.  Yep, great to have the two.

Who is better?  Depends on criteria and one's emotional investment in each player.

But, now that Oliver has learnt to hold his ground in or run out of a pack, instead of treating the ball as a hot potato and blindly hand pass out of congestion, I reckon he has a few more levels of improvement.

Now that is a truly scary thought.

To think if we had have taken Wines instead of Toumpas we may not have ended up with Clarry or trac

We would have had two great players in Viney and Wines but quite similar in many ways.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

I’ve never seen him struggle.

Best player in the comp.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I’ve never seen him struggle.

Best player in the comp.

Impressive ever since his first game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Yep he is better than Track and I think him close to being the Best player in the Competition

Who is better? He won the coaches award, Mongrel Punt ranks him number one, I think he is clearly the best player in the competition. He reminds me a great deal of Barassi  - they have the same relentless, nothing-will- stop-me approach; Total aggression at the ball.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Is he better than Trac?

Great to have the two.

I've said this before.  Clarry is VB, Trac is craft beer.  You need both for an awesome party 😁

2 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

Oliver and Petracca are like having two Martins or two Bontempellis, or one of each.

Closer to the  latter but Oliver does not have the break away strength of Bont.

His handball receives and gives over his shoulders is sublime as well as his ability to work in confined space.

There's no doubt we took a little out of Dog's 2016 handball handbook into our 2021 season and boy did it work.

Petracca's ability to break clear and deliver or shoot in an unhurried manner is sheer brilliance