• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Will Nathan Jones get a farewell game?

Redbeard

36 minutes ago, roy11 said:

"Scenes from quarantine in Perth." (Watching Brisbane game)

240048866_10159442261052317_423818634613

There's 45 on the list: 26 in Adelaide including JJ, Jones, Melky, Hibbo and there's 16 in the photo.  That means 3 missing?  I guess someone took the photo - who's not in it - Vanders, Thommo and Declase? 

1 minute ago, Pollyanna said:

There's 45 on the list: 26 in Adelaide including JJ, Jones, Melky, Hibbo and there's 16 in the photo.  That means 3 missing?  I guess someone took the photo - who's not in it - Vanders, Thommo and Declase? 

I thought I saw Vanders in Adelaide? 

He is surely there. Closer to selection than basically everyone in that photo bar Hunty. 

23 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I thought I saw Vanders in Adelaide? 

He is surely there. Closer to selection than basically everyone in that photo bar Hunty. 

Jones not in it ,hunt is

Edited by forever demons
miss read your post.meh

Can get this for for same story hosted on another website before paywall kicks in

"Nathan Jones will make the emotional decision to remain in Perth with his teammates chasing an elusive flag despite the impending birth of twins in Melbourne"

Probably captures the crux of what we wanted to know though?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JTR said:

Can get this for for same story hosted on another website before paywall kicks in

"Nathan Jones will make the emotional decision to remain in Perth with his teammates chasing an elusive flag despite the impending birth of twins in Melbourne"

Tough one. Surely the club has told him he is only an outside chance of playing? I can't see us making changes unless forced, other than letting Hunt back in.  

2 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Anyone remember Jonesey's last game last year? It looked like being his last one ever. Kicked straight to the oppo, goal, momentum busted, loss.

Who would like to see him do that in a grand final?

It looked like a ignominious end of career for Nathan, but to the club's credit, they got him over the line for 300 and a dignified end.

We're on the verge of ending 57 years of pain. Let's not jeopardise that for the sake of one man.

I thought the same - but seeing him in some VFL matches (I know) this year made me think if it came down to it, he could play a role in the FP / Forward Flank - we all know he will give his all and the team will rise around him with him on the ground.  He is the only player on the list that links the playing group with the past

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Okay I'm calling it now. Nathan Jones comes into the side for the preliminary at I don't know whose expense, plays a blinder and plays his last game as a premiership winner in the granny. Well that's what I want to happen anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I don't believe we should hold grudges forever, but considering what happened leading into Roosy being appointed, that would sit a bit uneasily with me. 🙁

We all need to let that go. Neeld, Schwab, gutnick, Ridley, whatever it is.

Our history is ours and Lyon is a part in that. All can be a part of our new history.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rpfc said:

We all need to let that go. Neeld, Schwab, gutnick, Ridley, whatever it is.

Our history is ours and Lyon is a part in that. All can be a part of our new history.

I don’t mind him being involved at the club. Don’t get me wrong there.

I just feel uncomfortable considering the Bailey sacking/Neeld hiring and boys’ club culture that flourished from 2009. That stuff drove us to our deepest abyss and was the reason PJ and Roosy were brought in.

This might sound presumptuous, but should we win a second flag with this group (let’s note at this point we’ve yet to win one) I’d have no problem with the Gaz man presenting the cup. While I recognize his magnificent contribution as a player, It kind of feels like a reward for recent bad behavior for mine. I appreciate others may feel differently.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but that's what this part of the season is all about, right?

Let's say we're in the Grand Final and Jones is our medi-sub. We're 30 points in front with a quarter to go. The starting 22 are all fit and firing, but Jonesy is desperate to get on the field for the greatest 30 minutes of his life.

What happens next? Does Goodwin force the doctor to write a false report about a player being injured? Does a heart-and-soul player like Brayshaw sacrifice his spot in the last quarter to let Jonesy in? Do Melbourne fans raise enough money in a GoFundMe campaign to pay the MFC's fine for messing with the sub system? Does the AFL turn a blind eye because it loves a bit of romance?

4 minutes ago, Dee man said:

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but that's what this part of the season is all about, right?

Let's say we're in the Grand Final and Jones is our medi-sub. We're 30 points in front with a quarter to go. The starting 22 are all fit and firing, but Jonesy is desperate to get on the field for the greatest 30 minutes of his life.

What happens next? Does Goodwin force the doctor to write a false report about a player being injured? Does a heart-and-soul player like Brayshaw sacrifice his spot in the last quarter to let Jonesy in? Do Melbourne fans raise enough money in a GoFundMe campaign to pay the MFC's fine for messing with the sub system? Does the AFL turn a blind eye because it loves a bit of romance?

Is Jones fit enough at his age and stage against an opponent who wants to win a Grand Final just as much as we do?

I doubt it, the risk is too high

30 points is not a lot anymore if there are any weak links. 
I said it earlier 

Jonesy should Present the Cup to Max IF  we get there. 
2 Captains hold it up. 
But i think his playing days at the top level have finished, unless we incur injuries 

• Like 3

Why are there so many fanciful ideas about Jones playing?    I just can't understand it.  We are trying to win a premiership with our best 23.  And Jones is 24th or 26th.   

There are always hard luck stories in premiership years and I am hoping that Jones is our hard luck story because it means we have won the big one. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ucanchoose said:

Why are there so many fanciful ideas about Jones playing?    I just can't understand it.  We are trying to win a premiership with our best 23.  And Jones is 24th or 26th.   

There are always hard luck stories in premiership years and I am hoping that Jones is our hard luck story because it means we have won the big one. 

Sadly I think this is true. 
IF we played the same 22 for the next two weeks, who would be 23rd, and why?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Sadly I think this is true. 
IF we played the same 22 for the next two weeks, who would be 23rd, and why?

Sparrow and Rivers were great on Saturday. They are playing 

Watch the smothering they both did 

That’s Finals Pressure. 
It goes up 20% at least

These young kids are ready 

• Like 2

Barring sudden injuries to JJ and Sparrow, and probably also Melksham and Vanders, I just can’t see him being put in the team even as the sub. 

It’s sad but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

If we do win (and I emphasize that I am using the conditional 'if'), I personally wouldn't mind  Paul Roos handing over the cup. He is the most likely to be given permission to get into WA, and it would provide a brilliant sense of closure on the journey that was begun in late 2013. 

Some might shout me down for that, but I think it would be great to recognize the modern day odyssey we have been on since PJ (who clearly doesn't qualify to do this) walked into the club two days after 148.

I always thought Barassi never got the credit for building our 1987 team. No disrespect to Northy, but he got ALL the praise and Barassi got nothing and his stint here is still largely seen as a failure by most of the football world.

Goody got us here but let’s not forget the contribution made by Roos. Petracca and Oliver both were under Roosey. The revival started under him. I’ll always be thankful for his time here. He sowed the seeds of this 

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JTR said:

Majak is there. No way he’s getting a game. Think they all went

1 hour ago, Cassiew said:

I always thought Barassi never got the credit for building our 1987 team. No disrespect to Northy, but he got ALL the praise and Barassi got nothing and his stint here is still largely seen as a failure by most of the football world.

Goody got us here but let’s not forget the contribution made by Roos. Petracca and Oliver both were under Roosey. The revival started under him. I’ll always be thankful for his time here. He sowed the seeds of this 

Roos only had 2 years with Petracca and 1 with Oliver

It's Goodwin that's moulded these guys from kids to mature men considering he's had them for 5 years alone.

The whole Paul Roos thing gets a bit overrated on here..

• Like 6

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

It's Goodwin that's moulded these guys from kids to mature men considering he's had them for 5 years alone.

Paul Roos did something very important along with Jackson. He set up a good cultural foundation and good habits. That is his legacy and it cannot be underestimated 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Paul Roos did something very important along with Jackson. He set up a good cultural foundation and good habits. That is his legacy and it cannot be underestimated 

Yes I agree that he put in the solid ground work. But there has been significant changes since the Roos era, and Goodwin has implemented his own method and culture. He started this by getting rid of club favourite Jack Watts even when fans and and players were against this. Even Roosy was on public record stating he felt it wasn't the right decision. 

We've completely changed the whole footy department since Roos finished up. There are no coaching staff or fitness staff that remain from when he was coaching. It's a whole different team that have brought their own ideas and thoughts.

The 2019 season was the blessing in disguise that we needed as I believe this is when we had a complete culture overhaul. That includes Goodwin completely installing a whole new set of standards and behaviours. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Dee man said:

Does the AFL conduct a review and revoke the flag? 
MFCSS

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

They were recruited under him 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cassiew said:

They were recruited under him 

Max Gawn was recruited under Dean Bailey.

Jack Viney recruited under Mark Neeld.

Look at the current line up that ran out against Brisbane and name me the amount of players that have been recruited under Goodwin vs Roos.

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Max Gawn was recruited under Dean Bailey.

Jack Viney recruited under Mark Neeld.

Look at the current line up that ran out against Brisbane and name me the amount of players that have been recruited under Goodwin vs Roos.

Who were our two best players this year. Again, I’m not taking anything away from Goodwin, I’m saying Roosey’s efforts can’t be ignored

• Like 1