Jump to content

POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Hawthorn


Demonland

Recommended Posts

Listening to the commentators you would have thought the Hawks were the team who had been down and out for sixty years. I havent checked but did we not both last play finals at the same year. Are we not both trying to build lists to have success. Do we not also have a bunch of players with less than 30 games. Frankly to me being top means very little other than a double chance in the finals. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Grr-owl said:

Interesting, Nev. What’s Max doing wrong, or Dogga right?

Would have to be either his hitout form is up and down, the centre group aren't all in sync or oppositions have worked him out. Could be a bit of all of the above too. He looked back to vintage Max last week with the hitouts so not sure what's happened.

Whatever it is though, just wish we'd stick with what is working for a bit longer in games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I must admit, I found it a hilarious moment last night when Oliver seemed befuddled when Charlie Spargo got into Oliver's path and stole a mark from him 35 - 40m out from goal towards the boundary.  That's right in Spargo's goal kicking range and he been reasonably reliable kicking for goal this season from set shots, so long as it's not 40m + out. Conversely I don't think Oliver has actually kicked a set shot from any further out than 5m this season.  Unless he's kicking/snapping on the run, Oliver's goal kicking has been atrocious, must have kicked about 10 behinds from set shots, without kicking a major, so to see his body language when Spargo cut him off was such poor form on his behalf.  It actually reeked a bit of playing like a millionaires well before we had the game under control.

Oliver - don't want to be treated with contempt inside 50? Fix your set shot goal kicking.

That all said Oliver is pretty good at spotting up others to have shots on goal with his vision an good foot skills on occasions too, so I'm not going to be too harsh on him.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder why the #1 team continually has "learnings" playing bottom feeder teams? When will those learnings be implemented? I know we're not yet Cats/Hawks/Tigers of recent years (yet) (we could be, but we need to actually address these things). Do you remember them continually being taught lessons by #17??? I don't.

None of the learnings from our shock loss to the Crows were fixed. Hacking the ball forward, poor decision making and terrible goal kicking is just as prevalent as it was then. Are these things actually being looked at? I hate buzz words, because the boys then believe that saying there were "learnings" are part of the process, but they're not if you don't actually do anything about them.

Instead of a Gus and Gawny podcast, I'd love if they mic'd up and went to practice goalkicking. I'd listen to that. Or instead of one of the other promotional videos, they show footage of the boys lining up for goal after goal. Practicing skills. Etc.

Edited by Red But Mostly Blue
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jaded said:

When you draw against the 17th team on the ladder playing infants while you are fighting it out for first, umpires are not the problem. 
Yes umpiring was putrid, but welcome to 2021. 
We have only ourselves to blame. We played lazy and our pressure was well down. We also fumbled badly and couldn’t win a ground ball. Tackling was non existent and we again blew easy shots on goal. This is what led to the result. Not poor umpiring.

Well said, the team should be blamed overall for lack of application mentally & physically (not just individuals)

Cant believe the abuse & criticism  on our best 2 players, if Oliver & Tracca didn’t play we would’ve lost by 5 goals 

Even criticism of Lever taking the wrong option with a minute to go, for god sake he’s held the backline together all season

We escaped with a draw, re-set, finish top4, game on 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Although we lead for all but ten minutes of the game we never really turned it on all night and we had at least eight players that just weren’t up for the fight. Our game plan depends on every player playing their part and when they don’t we look poor/ dumb and our kicking for goal is just so poor that is two of our last three games where it has cost us six premiership points. I thought that umps were poor again, our goal kicking was very poor again and our bottom eight players were very ordinary.

100% correct, our game plan does rely on every player, playing their part or it can be picked apart, and last night there were plenty missing.

Our best is very solid and exceptionally hard to beat, but our blood y goal kicking is a nightmare. I have visions of losing to Geelong 10.22 to 14.4 or similar to the Dogs and them getting 3-4 soft free kick goals in the finals.

Demons just kicking reasonably for goal last night and we kick 14.10 and Hawks never in the game!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, D4Life said:

100% correct, our game plan does rely on every player, playing their part or it can be picked apart, and last night there were plenty missing.

Our best is very solid and exceptionally hard to beat, but our blood y goal kicking is a nightmare. I have visions of losing to Geelong 10.22 to 14.4 or similar to the Dogs and them getting 3-4 soft free kick goals in the finals.

Demons just kicking reasonably for goal last night and we kick 14.10 and Hawks never in the game!

Simple truths are the best. Goals win games. Until we learn that, we are exposed to teams like the Cats who are ruthless and take their chances.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

I wanted to turn it off 10mins into the last qr.
Could see the writing on the wall.
My only surprise is that we didn't actually lose it with 40seconds to go after the Hawthorn leveller.

As for learnings.
The players are parrots.
Brayshaw talked of learnings post game as well.
And with all the learnings over the years our parrots are obviously pretty thick.
 

 

Brayshaw seems to think we play the Bulldogs next week, or are we ?

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not an ideal result, but here's some perspective for the doomsayers: 

  • We are not in our prime now, we are coming into it. We are not going to be at our best every week. Our forward structure is still gelling
  • 2 points is as good as 4 in the context of the season at this stage
  • The only stat we lost was tackles
  • We are on top of the ladder 
  • We have beaten 7 out of 8 teams in the 8 right now. Anyone who says we are pretenders has a very low football IQ
  • Bottom dwelling teams that have proven to bring us down to their level do not feature in September 
  • Just because we are on top of the ladder doesn't mean supporters are entitled to a season where nothing goes wrong. You'd think after the years of mediocrity that people around here would be more mentally resilient, watching some of you throw your toys out of the cot after a loss is embarrassing. 
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You did better than me I turned it off the second the siren went.

Me, too! Didn't even go to the post-match DL thread to see if everyone else was as irate, disappointed and inwardly hostile as I was since the start of the third quarter. It was a game where we could have won by possibly 40 points - and that is conservative.

Talk about keeping the Hawks in the game - talk about ignoring (pretending not to see) overt violations of the tackling, holding, throwing, dropping the ball rules! Under these circumstances, no matter how well we might have played, we would not win the match, once again. Even the Dees' players we tired of it and obviously, were losing interest in the win due to umpire decisions and tolerances, one-way, many times, in an avenue to scoring successfully to stay in the game.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

They just weren't switched on after quarter time. Just thought it would happen Hawthorn had other ideas. The bombing into the forward 50 was diabolical Stafford should be sacked. 

Looked far too contended at Q time.   All downhill from there.  

11 hours ago, layzie said:

Anyone else notice we tend to stink after 9 day breaks? Yet off 5 or 6 days breaks we’re golden. It’s like this group is better off when they roll on through battle hardened and too long of a break is like ring rust. I don’t know.

So should we look to finish fifth so as not to “risk” a week off in week 2 of finals ??? (tongue-in-cheek).  

  • Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand people weren't happy with Oliver after that Spargo Mark, but did not one of you notice 5 seconds after that someone obviously said something to him and he put his hands up to apologise?

Think we're a bit quick to jump all over Clarry

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else belt out Beyoncé’s tune ‘Irreplaceable’ like my wife does when we kick out from a behind? 
‘To the left, to the left’

Saw numerous times players on their own to the right with hands up but always ignored. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KLV said:

 Offer zero insights into strategy, tactics etc. 

This is one my frustrations with Channel Seven.  They never talk about what tactics are being employed, what strategies are working or not working, why Team A is leading.  Instead they interview a five-year old at half-time to try and get a cheap laugh.  

Edited by one_demon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is starting to feel like checking in on a bipolar relative each weekend. Anyway, I'm two coffees and a 25km bike ride to the good today so well equipped to deal with it. 

When I reflect on games like this I'm not really concerned that the opposition has worked us out. I'm sure every other coaching group in the competition know that playing the game with a high intensity and moving the ball low and fast to a forward target is the best way to play against a defence like ours. What they'll also know is that these two elements alone won't be enough to beat us unless we drop our intensity and the most comforting thing for me is that this last item is entirely within our own hands. 

This isn't the Melbourne that made a preliminary final in 2018. The 2021 version now has a dedicated winger, a gorilla full back and a bona fide lead up key forward. Personnel isn't our problem. The game plan isn't our problem. Being able to adapt during a game isn't our problem. Intensity and having the ability to bring it every game and every quarter is what makes us vulnerable coming into the pointy end of the season but it's this that still makes us masters of our destiny I think. 

I've just watched Goody's presser and Gus' interview with Ben Gibson and for me it's the ability of our coaching group to keep our players focussed on what they do well and to incrementally improve our intensity levels that will be important in the coming weeks leading into finals. 

It's a fairly young group we have and one day very soon they will have the weight of breaking a 57 year drought on their backs. Just because we've all been scarred by history I don't think projecting that frustration onto our team is going to help frankly. Of course I would love us to maul Hawthorn by 100 points like they have done to us over the years but we're not the '88 Hawks or the '00 Bombers and we'll just have to live with that fact I think. It's not for Kossie, Riv & Dogga to exorcise our demons unfortunately. 

Anyway, enjoy your Sunday everyone and bring on the GC. 

 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

This thread is starting to feel like checking in on a bipolar relative each weekend. Anyway, I'm two coffees and a 25km bike ride to the good today so well equipped to deal with it. 

When I reflect on games like this I'm not really concerned that the opposition has worked us out. I'm sure every other coaching group in the competition know that playing the game with a high intensity and moving the ball low and fast to a forward target is the best way to play against a defence like ours. What they'll also know is that these two elements alone won't be enough to beat us unless we drop our intensity and the most comforting thing for me is that this last item is entirely within our own hands. 

This isn't the Melbourne that made a preliminary final in 2018. The 2021 version now has a dedicated winger, a gorilla full back and a bona fide lead up key forward. Personnel isn't our problem. The game plan isn't our problem. Being able to adapt during a game isn't our problem. Intensity and having the ability to bring it every game and every quarter is what makes us vulnerable coming into the pointy end of the season but it's this that still makes us masters of our destiny I think. 

I've just watched Goody's presser and Gus' interview with Ben Gibson and for me it's the ability of our coaching group to keep our players focussed on what they do well and to incrementally improve our intensity levels that will be important in the coming weeks leading into finals. 

It's a fairly young group we have and one day very soon they will have the weight of breaking a 57 year drought on their backs. Just because we've all been scarred by history I don't think projecting that frustration onto our team is going to help frankly. Of course I would love us to maul Hawthorn by 100 points like they have done to us over the years but we're not the '88 Hawks or the '00 Bombers and we'll just have to live with that fact I think. It's not for Kossie, Riv & Dogga to exorcise our demons unfortunately. 

Anyway, enjoy your Sunday everyone and bring on the GC. 

 

Finally, a well measured post worth reading ... 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Fork 'em said:

I wanted to turn it off 10mins into the last qr.
Could see the writing on the wall.
My only surprise is that we didn't actually lose it with 40seconds to go after the Hawthorn leveller.

As for learnings.
The players are parrots.
Brayshaw talked of learnings post game as well.
And with all the learnings over the years our parrots are obviously pretty thick.
 

 

Three things about this interview:

Gus thinks we are playing the Dogs this week

He has no idea what the issue is with us not turning up against lower sides

And they have been practising goal kicking for the last 2 months

Oh dear!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bobby1554 said:

Three things about this interview:

Gus thinks we are playing the Dogs this week

He has no idea what the issue is with us not turning up against lower sides

And they have been practising goal kicking for the last 2 months

Oh dear!

I think Brayshaw knows exactly why we don't turn up against poor sides said the Hawks were mentally tough. So I think he knows we aren't. I'd be surprised if we beat the Gold Coast with the form we are in and every game we have played I thought we will win until now. 

  • Like 1
  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

Three things about this interview:

Gus thinks we are playing the Dogs this week

He has no idea what the issue is with us not turning up against lower sides

And they have been practising goal kicking for the last 2 months

Oh dear!

Like a Freudian slip (an unintentional error revealing subconscious feelings) showing where the players minds are at. Thinking about the big boys and being dismissive of the weaker sides. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Not an ideal result, but here's some perspective for the doomsayers: 

  • We are not in our prime now, we are coming into it. We are not going to be at our best every week. Our forward structure is still gelling
  • 2 points is as good as 4 in the context of the season at this stage
  • The only stat we lost was tackles
  • We are on top of the ladder 
  • We have beaten 7 out of 8 teams in the 8 right now. Anyone who says we are pretenders has a very low football IQ
  • Bottom dwelling teams that have proven to bring us down to their level do not feature in September 
  • Just because we are on top of the ladder doesn't mean supporters are entitled to a season where nothing goes wrong. You'd think after the years of mediocrity that people around here would be more mentally resilient, watching some of you throw your toys out of the cot after a loss is embarrassing. 

i'm sorry but you say 'still gelling' as if its improving? i haven't seen any improvement. Only consistent bad goal kicking.

Secondly, 2 points instead of 4 is the reason we could/most likely finish behind Brisbane, Port and Sydney on points. So it's extremely costly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oliver could still possibly get the 3 votes for this game.

But we need mids that are good kicks for goal. We don't have a luke shuey on our playing list. or anyone that comes close to his foot skills including in front of goal.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

This thread is starting to feel like checking in on a bipolar relative each weekend. 

 

Nailed it!!! ?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

Oliver could still possibly get the 3 votes for this game.

But we need mids that are good kicks for goal. We don't have a luke shuey on our playing list. or anyone that comes close to his foot skills including in front of goal.

Jake Bowey is very very good by foot and arguably our most precise field kick from the little I’ve seen 

I’m not saying he should be playing seniors yet but him delivering into forward 50 would help a great deal - of course someone still needs to kick straight - that seems a giant problem still 

I’m still staggered how professional footballers are capable of missing goals by big margins from as little as 35 metres - if asked to kick to someone that distance away at training under no pressure there is no way they would miss by 5 + metres - it is all in the head 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 31

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 278

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 527

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...