POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

from what i saw some of our players do not chase often enough or hard enough. players half heartedly change expecting the opposition to just get rid of the ball but when they run with it as some of those bottom sides do it throws us off our game. Collingwood, adelaide and hawthorn all ran with the ball and broke our lines. The created overlap with running players that we did not cover, our players especially in the collingwood game failed to man up allowing them to deliver to unmarked men in the forward line. All of our players need to tackle more and better. we had far less tackles than Hawthorn yet gave away a considerable number more frees in doing so. yes some of the umpiring was crap, uneven and possible even farcical but being on top of the ladder we still should have been able to win with that extra weight. The fact that we scraped a draw out such a crap performance is probably the only worthwhile stat from the game. Some of our players just do not kick well under pressure, which does not bode well if we have close finals. i had hoped that after the adelaide defeat the players learned not to take the opposition for granted. i hoped after the Collingwood defeat that the players learned not to take the opposition for granted. now after this i can see we are really not very good at learning from our mistakes.  i still hope they can pull themselves up and win the flag, but its performances like this that sends a shudder through me as we watch perhaps the best chance in a long long time get wasted.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

All good and well to say we're flying if we win. We beat Port Adelaide and yet we dished up an extremely poor performance the week after?

On recent form we could easily roll the Dogs and lose to GC and the Crows the week after.

Win when it counts. If we beat Dogs lose to Suns and Crows then beat Cats I'll be extremely confident heading into September

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bing181 said:

So, nothing to do with the coaching then.

(agree with this of course).

No it has to do with both, the coach with the cattle available should be able to find a way to get the players to pull their finger out as well. It’s an equal parts blame, the coaches and players collectively failed as a team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Those are last year's stats, @jnrmac. The menu at the top allows you to select a season and you've got it on 2020.

OK Thanks for that. Will reassess

The AFL website for you - defaulting to last season

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, John Crow Batty said:

Like a Freudian slip (an unintentional error revealing subconscious feelings) showing where the players minds are at. Thinking about the big boys and being dismissive of the weaker sides. 

And has happened (at least) 3 times this year.  Are these highly paid professionals not bright enough (or unfocused, or arrogant) to realize this?  Maybe it should be one of coach Godwin’s “learnings”?

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Those are last year's stats, @jnrmac. The menu at the top allows you to select a season and you've got it on 2020.

Yes thought it was strange with many commentators stating West Coast need to change there gamestyle as they are a poor tackling side

21 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Just checked some stats

We are last for tackles in the whole comp

We are 16th in total clearances

That puts huge pressure on our defence to hold the fort. Its not sustainable.

I’d be very interested to know where we ranked in this stat up until round 12, I’d hazard a guess we’d be closer to the pointy end. I also remember that until mid year we were one of the highest for tackles inside 50. 

I feel like tackle pressure is the one non-negotiable in footy that only requires players to be committed to the team and each other. It’s what Hawthorn brought that made us crumble, they didn’t do anything flashy or brilliant, they just made it a tough old slog and we simply didn’t match their intensity. 

It’s most certainly fixable, and needs to be addressed now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pates said:

I’d be very interested to know where we ranked in this stat up until round 12, I’d hazard a guess we’d be closer to the pointy end. I also remember that until mid year we were one of the highest for tackles inside 50. 

I feel like tackle pressure is the one non-negotiable in footy that only requires players to be committed to the team and each other. It’s what Hawthorn brought that made us crumble, they didn’t do anything flashy or brilliant, they just made it a tough old slog and we simply didn’t match their intensity. 

It’s most certainly fixable, and needs to be addressed now. 

Luckily it has. They were last years stats. Helps explain missing the finals last year.

• Like 2