Out Jetta and Sparrow

• Like 2
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just going to contribute a quick observation on Tom McDonald. At the end of the game, with the camera lingering on him for what seemed like eternity, he looked seriously unhappy with his effo

One thing I have noticed with Sparrow is his willingness to shepherd, block, tackle and do the one percenters.  Any replacement in the midfield needs to do the same.

Protecting the ball carrier, love it! #FiredUp https://t.co/AfmuBZ0mxt   

Posted Images

Hibbo and Melky in the shadows ready for a spot. Is there a spot?? That's the question?

The obvious baton change is Lockhart Jetta longer term when he's ready. Hibbo needs to retake Hunts spot - Hint was good so no dice. Melky seems seriously unlucky here - have no spt for him right now. Spargo and ANB are holding there own. 

Also need  to find a spot for BBB (+/- Weed) over the next couple of weeks. Good spot to be in for the club. [censored] spot for those banging on the door for a spot

10 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

So I'd probably consider Hibberd for Jetta. Melksham needs a run, having sat on the bench all day today, so I'm not sure he gets Sparrow's spot.

No way Melksham gets Sparrow's spot. Sparrow is an aggressive, confident and annoying little pest down there. Everything we were missing when Melksham was playing in that spot.

If Melky returns I hope he's either half back or on a wing.

I tend to agree re: Hibberd for Jetta, however, Goodwin seemed impressed with Jetta's effort, so I doubt a change will be made.

I would like to see some pro-active selection as I think we need to improve significantly to beat the Cats.

I still not sold on Hunt - for all of his dash, I'm not sure we're getting much value out of his possessions and at times, the ball is coming back with interest.

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Whilst a good win we need a freshen up. I would have Sparrow (no impact), Jetta (cooked) and Jones (selfish and no defensive actions) in the gun.

I would have Hibberd and Melksham in for Jetta and Sparrow and have Jones as the sub (for those obsessed with getting him to 300).

wholeheartedly agree,  as good as a stable team would be, a freshen up is needed for Geelong.

3 minutes ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

No way Melksham gets Sparrow's spot. Sparrow is an aggressive, confident and annoying little pest down there. Everything we were missing when Melksham was playing in that spot.

If Melky returns I hope he's either half back or on a wing.

I tend to agree re: Hibberd for Jetta, however, Goodwin seemed impressed with Jetta's effort, so I doubt a change will be made.

I would like to see some pro-active selection as I think we need to improve significantly to beat the Cats.

I still not sold on Hunt - for all of his dash, I'm not sure we're getting much value out of his possessions and at times, the ball is coming back with interest.

Fair re: Sparrow. 4th most pressure acts for both sides despite only 66% time on ground. But on the other side of the coin, just four touches.

Melksham won't offer us that level of pressure but at his best links us up better from the back half to the front.

If we're honest, Melksham's spot is probably being taken by Jones right now.

Hunt is all about balance. The run is important, but to be fair to him he's doing more than that. His bodywork and aggression is better than it's ever been. But yes, his errant kicking is an issue and he needs to tighten that up, and not let himself get completely sucked up the ground too frequently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

refuses to take first option

Ridiculous 

Jones hit up Jackson for a textbook I50 and goal at the start of the 2nd

Also had 7 score involvements and played well as an inside competitor in fwd half

• Like 6
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Hunt is all about balance. The run is important, but to be fair to him he's doing more than that. His bodywork and aggression is better than it's ever been. But yes, his errant kicking is an issue and he needs to tighten that up, and not let himself get completely sucked up the ground too frequently

Yep. That's a really fair analysis of where Hunt is at.

He doesn't have to be a gun kick and to be fair, he doesn't really shank it, he just kicks it up and under to poor positions.

Langdon is a great example of a player with that kicking style, who just takes simple options. 

If Hunt can bank all of that meterage and keep the ball in our posession, he's worth his weight in gold. My concern is that he's not been able to do that consistently in 7(?) seasons.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t drop Jetta based on that game and I’m a Hibbo fan. Hunt would’ve been my straight swap but not after tonight.

T Mac very much felt like a placeholder. As soon as Brown or Weid are ready he’s out for mine. They’re not, so he stays.

Sparrow for Melksham I’d be happy with. He makes us a more dangerous side. No changes otherwise.

2 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

Agree with Sparrow but Jones frustrates me no end. Refuses to chase, refuses to take first option, refuses to play team footy. 

Jones is a polarising figure on here. I thought he was ok today, and at least better than in the first two rounds. On the votes thread, someone included him in our best six. Meanwhile, others are saying drop him now or let him get to 300 and retire. Proving once again, you can’t please all the people all the time.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I noticed that too. He was livid with his performance tonight.

good, he'll push himself. He know what he needs to do to have a place in the 1st's 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, 640MD said:

Was that just before he got lined up and clobbered by those hawthorn thugs .

never the same after that ?

Close. Played saints in round 4. Brent Guerra (who moved to the hawks later) targeted him at the opening minutes and broke his wrist in a crude tackle.

We were so good in those 3 games. Pretty sure Yze was going absolutely ballistic with some crazy shots on goal too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, BAMF said:

Close. Played saints in round 4. Brent Guerra (who moved to the hawks later) targeted him at the opening minutes and broke his wrist in a crude tackle.

We were so good in those 3 games. Pretty sure Yze was going absolutely ballistic with some crazy shots on goal too.

Are you sure? I also thought it was a collarbone against Hawthorn.

1 hour ago, Left Foot Snap said:

Are you sure? I also thought it was a collarbone against Hawthorn.

I recall it was vs the Saints. Our Round 3 win was vs Geelong.

4 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I'm just going to contribute a quick observation on Tom McDonald.

At the end of the game, with the camera lingering on him for what seemed like eternity, he looked seriously unhappy with his effort.  That made perfect sense after the number of times he just didn't get it right tonight.

BUT

Many have cited that in the last couple of years we have been seriously deficient for tackles inside 50 and it was a key reason we we so keen on Pickett.

Tom McDonald is the current AFL leader for tackles inside 50 after picking up 4 tonight.

He made a contribution tonight even if he had a bad game.  Most importantly he didn't drop his head and he kept working and working.

You don't drop a player for one bad game when their attitude is still intact and team-first.  Especially when they've shown some signs of regaining their better form in the previous couple of weeks.

It was predictable that there would be calls for Tom to be dropped after one poor game. But really I have no idea why you’d drop him so quickly, he was slow to the contest but he did keep trying to at least bring the ball to ground and kept up with tackles. He was also very clearly blocked from marking contests a number of times in the first quarter. 

For me I say no change, we’ve gone 3-0 for the first time in 16 years. Why muck with a winning formula? Every player that has been named for the chop has been good so far but a little off tonight. 

Damn it’s a big game next week. 

• Like 3

I don’t mind the idea of Melksham coming back in but if he’s anything like the player of last year he needs to be straight back out.

His “efforts” last year were putrid.

• Like 2

Would hate to see Jones dropped he's doing his job ,loyalty is what teams are built on,time for the club to give back the loyalty he has given.Don't want see another situation like Jnr Mac and others being shown the door to early

9 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

2005, Cameron Bruce 9 votes in the Brownlow.

9 hours ago, 640MD said:

Was that just before he got lined up and clobbered by those hawthorn thugs .

never the same after that ?

Thought it was Saints at Docklands. 

48 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Thought it was Saints at Docklands. 

As was pointed out earlier ( thank you) it was by the Saints player Guerra in the forth game after those 3 great games. Bruce was out for some weeks and I don’t think he ever dominated like he did for those 3 games.

Guerra switched to Hawks and played for quite a few years, I was always hoping someone would fling him into a fence.

a good reason to dislike the hawks, quite apart from a mate RW who is a painful hawthorn supporter, never hear from him if they  lose.  Apologies if my memory is wrong,   Just me I am TBO.   It sometimes blurry,  time alcohol and stress. 

Go Dees   Don’t like the cats either 

11 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

This is the changes

T Mac the luckiest man in footy

Deserves it after his first two. No doubt about it.

What is Sparrow's role? Cannot say I noticed him at all.

Not meant as a criticism.

Jetta... it's an opponent issue. Geelong aren't particularly quick in the forward line so perhaps he survives by virtue of his smarts.

TMac's form is still key to the next 3 weeks

Thought Jones was solid last night

• Like 1

There will be no changes. I think Goodwin will not make any changes against Hawthorn either. I see him changing it up,against the Tigers though. You don’t change a winning formula. Team balance and all that!