What they’re saying at Linton Street

Demon Head

2 hours ago, old dee said:

You don’t know that, it is what you want to believe. Fact it is at that time our FD was poor. 

No-one blinked an eye when we took Scully and Trenners at 1&2.
No-one anywhere said we should have taken Martin sittin' there with his bikie president oldman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, In Harmes Way said:

This was definitely not the St Kilda fl*g who was sitting behind me at the game. Blaming the umpires (and us) for everything going wrong. Although to be fair I probably sounded like this in 2013.

They were ahead 12 to 4 in the frees during the second qtr

Not sure what they were complaining about

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Better days ahead said:

Didn't peg you as a hindsight Harry OD ?

I am not bda, just annoys me that people won’t accept that we did not even interview him. Drafting young players is always a risk, lots of round 1 selections simply don’t make it. We are living proof of that. I hate the phrase “every other team would have taken the  Trengove and Scully”, it is said with little if any proof that was the case.

2 hours ago, old dee said:

It will never alter the fact we did not interview him. Why is that so hard to accept?

Not to step into the middle of this, but just wondering where the story of never interviewing Martin got started.
I went looking for an article on it a couple years ago, but found nothing...

Is it an established fact or is it footy folklore/urban legend?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

I am not bda, just annoys me that people won’t accept that we did not even interview him. Drafting young players is always a risk, lots of round 1 selections simply don’t make it. We are living proof of that. I hate the phrase “every other team would have taken the  Trengove and Scully”, it is said with little if any proof that was the case.

only pulling your leg OD. 

How you surviving up there in covid country? If you're not careful Anna won't let you back across the border.

2 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

only pulling your leg OD. 

How you surviving up there in covid country? If you're not careful Anna won't let you back across the border.

All good while we are on the Gold Coast which is currently a green zone. If stays that way we are ok. Won’t be Anna that causes us problems it will be the Vic government.  Just about to head to the Grand at Labrador for lunch and a couple of XXXX. 

5 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Not to step into the middle of this, but just wondering where the story of never interviewing Martin got started.

I don’t know that there is proof one way or the other TPF. The MFC have never denied it so that means to me that it is probably true. I just hate the line every other team would have taken Trengove and Scully.  

6 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Never mind!
Found it this time.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dustin-martin-told-mark-robinson-at-age-17-i-was-born-to-play-afl/news-story/8c91fad879391b517aea2982f58a2ec0

“I reckon I was born to play AFL,” he said.

Bit arrogant?

“I don’t think I’m arrogant at all, like, it’s just something I want. I want to play AFL, that’s all I want to do.

“I just want it so bad. I don’t care where I play, as a long as I get the opportunity.”

He has spoken to 12 clubs, and not Melbourne, which doesn’t surprise him.

He, like everyone, expects Tom Scully and Jack Trengove to go No.1 and No.2.

He has met Richmond twice, before and during the draft camp.

“I think they’re pretty keen,” he said.

“No one has said they’ll take me yet. If it’s Richmond, it will be awesome, over the moon.”

If it is Richmond, the expectations on him - as they are on Trent Cotchin - will be, well, Richmond-like: Please, please, deliver.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, old dee said:

Imagine not interviewing Dusty!

And as I said, we have rarely had any selections go this way so it’s a fun one to hear. 

• Like 2

“Deplorable stuff. Honestly, deserved to lose by 50+. Skills and decision-making as bad as I’ve seen by any team in the league ever. Amazing performance for its ****ness.”

“52 ruck contests 40 hit outs to Gawn.”

“Was more than 4 points. I rate Melbourne to fill 7th or 8th at best. At the moment we are not where we think we are.”

“Spuds game is about right. Team full of spuds.”

“Neutrals will see a three goal loss on the news headlines and will not understand how unforgivably dire that was.”

“All week the talk was that Lever, May and Tomlinson wouldn't be allowed to dominate like they did against Freo. That our forwardline was too dangerous for them to run loose. We played right into it. Long, high, bombs and the picked it off all night.”

“Remember last year how Brad Hill apparently wasn't playing badly, we just needed to get the ball in his hands more? If anything we need to make a concerted effort to keep it away from him. Absolute butcher. Was playing like he was sent by Melbourne to take us down from the inside.”

“Petracca would be handy to run with Steele, never mind the free hit we had on that.”

“Zac Jones is earning the rep of a real downhill runner. Langdon made him look lazy and undisciplined, exposed him for a lack of desire.”

“...after speaking to Petracca after the dees win, we will now cross to McCartin in the saints room for the loss... oh wait.”

“I just rage-ate SO much Dirty Bird...”

“On the bright side, 2 more years and we will have 1.6 million in cap space to buy more duds.”

“Melbourne are horrid and they smashed us. Even then, we had so many chances.”

“Even then we were lucky that they dropped sitters and couldn’t kick straight. We deserved to lose, and actually should’ve lost, by 10 goals, and to say that about this Melbourne team is just damning on ours.”

And then, all of a sudden, in the seemingly bottomless pit of self-loathing, a beacon appears...

“People saying our guys were soft, disinterested, not putting in the effort - I think that's wrong.

I've watched it again this morning.

It was gameplan and coaching that lost us the game. Melbourne turned up knowing exactly what they needed to do and they did it in spades.

- They were always moving around stoppages and with their ruck dominance they had some hugely effective clearances.

- They always took on the tackler and usually broke through because they're bigger and stronger, which frequently gave them a man in space.

- Their forward 50 was generally pretty empty, and their entries were either to a lead or deep.

- Their transition was smart, either through the middle or down the wings. We tried to defend both and ended up defending neither.

- They made skill errors, as we did, but generally they weren't in damaging areas.

We never adjusted to any of this. We should have played some tempo footy, regained our composure, and started to pick a way through. But we didn't.

Not sure whether that's the coaching or the on-field leadership, but either way it's a problem.

But blaming individuals for mistakes or lack of effort is misdirection, and it'll lead to the wrong solutions.”

Well played, Sir. Although this guy put it more succinctly:

“Forget our deficiencies, we were well and truly outplayed. Well done Demons.”

• Like 6

22 hours ago, old dee said:

Why bother your mind is set in concrete. 

To be fair OD, I remember following that draft very closely and at the time the recieved wisdom was Scully 1, Trengove 2 and daylight to the rest.  It has clearly changed since then and as Cher would say :

On 3/30/2021 at 10:22 AM, old dee said:

It does not alter the fact we did not even interview him when we took Trengove and Scully. That turned out well. 

On 3/30/2021 at 10:24 AM, drysdale demon said:

That has been discussed to death as has the reasons why.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, old dee said:

It will never alter the fact we did not interview him. Why is that so hard to accept?

Ain’t hindsight a wonderful thing. 

Remind me, how many clubs passed over multiple times on James Hird and Chris Grant???

As I recall maybe 4 or 5 times each?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

They aren’t wrong, we should have won by 10 goals.

For all the Martin talk, if we did draft him (besides the fact we wound gave likely ruined him) we likely wouldn’t have Oliver and Petracca.

Swings and roundabouts.

“Melbourne are horrid....But”

Enjoyable Reading ? 

On 3/28/2021 at 8:16 AM, Demon Head said:

“Melbourne all over us, we can’t seem to move the ball at all, delivery into forward 50 very poor.”

“MAXXXYYYYYY.

What a star.” (not referring to our Max)

“Nice kick King. Melbourne should be a few more up, umps got us back into it with a few frees to King. 

Our running game is non existent, gotta figure out how to get it going in the 2nd quarter.”

“We had them on toast and let the pressure off by lairising, turning the ball over ... Brad Hill... are you serious?” 

“Who's playing on fritch ?” (posted three times)

“Clark has been abducted by aliens and replaced with a zombie clone.”

“Lucky Melbourne can't kick straight or we'd be getting belted.”

“Imagine picking McCartin over Petracca?

“Clearly we were out played not by umpires calls they were just too good on he night & I agree they should have won by a lot more . we need to get better”

Some lucid and coherent thoughts here. Are we certain these observations were made by St Kilda supporters??

On 3/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, Bitter but optimistic said:

A large proportion of illiterates among their supporters may be the explanation.

The ill-educated breed with the pig ignorant. And you produce.................... St Kilda supporters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Introduce the orthodontically challenged into the mix and you have “ The filth “

Makes ' The island of Dr Moreau' seem like a charming science experiment.