Yze for Coach?

DEE fence

3 hours ago, 3183 Dee said:

Take your point, but Clarkson and Simpson have both won GFs and Buckley has gone as close as possible. 

Buckley is in his 9th year as coach and has survived seasons where supporters and media have called for his sacking, Clarkson coached a premiership side in his 5th year and during his early years there were calls from supporters to get rid of him, Hardwicke coached Tigers to a flag in his 8th year as coach after quite a few years of the media suggesting should go and constant calls for his sacking from supporters.

The point is each club had boards who were prepared to back their coaches and dismiss outside noise.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Buckley is in his 9th year as coach and has survived seasons where supporters and media have called for his sacking, Clarkson coached a premiership side in his 5th year and during his early years there were calls from supporters to get rid of him, Hardwicke coached Tigers to a flag in his 8th year as coach after quite a few years of the media suggesting should go and constant calls for his sacking from supporters.

The point is each club had boards who were prepared to back their coaches and dismiss outside noise.

All very well, but when a Game Style doesn’t change in 4 years, that clearly has problems, questions deserve to be asked. 

Goodwin’s coaching is great until he gets challenged and then it falls apart very quickly

I will happily take Saturdays 4 points, but make no mistake, Carltank lost that game, we didn’t win it

Our defence was a shambles from late in the 2nd Quarter, so why wasn’t it addressed?

Would be very surprised if Yze would want to come back anway.  I know for fact that he was filthy with the club when he left, and as a "one club player", to walk out of said one club in that frame of mind would make it very difficult for him to return in any role.

7 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

All the footage we've seen from 'behind closed doors', including the stuff in To Hell And Back clearly paints the picture that Goody is just as uninspiring when speaking to the players as he is with the media.

Yes, I watched that genuinely hoping that I’d see a side of SG that was at odds with the public persona. It wasn’t really there, was it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Chazz said:

Would be very surprised if Yze would want to come back anway.  I know for fact that he was filthy with the club when he left, and as a "one club player", to walk out of said one club in that frame of mind would make it very difficult for him to return in any role.

Honest question - why was Yze filthy when he left? 

7 minutes ago, deegirl said:

Honest question - why was Yze filthy when he left? 

Was just about to ask the same thing. Maybe he felt he was forced to retire early, I know there were a few that felt that way in that period.

I was as unhappy with everyone with the way we capitulated after half time (and you could see the signs in the second quarter), but I can't see Goody not seeing out his contract until at least mid-next year regardless of the results for the rest of the year. 

5 hours ago, The Chazz said:

Rubbish. I know for an actual fact he loves the club as much as ever and was very keen and excited about the possibility of an opportunity with MFC late last year. Hawks played hard ball in the end and he felt it was better professionally to stay.

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Rubbish. I know for an actual fact he loves the club as much as ever and was very keen and excited about the possibility of an opportunity with MFC late last year. Hawks played hard ball in the end and he felt it was better professionally to stay.

Not rubbish at all. The last time I spoke with Adem, granted it was a few years ago now, he was far from complimentary about the MFC. Now, enough personnel (both in the football department and admin) may have turned over for him to reconsider, but it would've taken a seriously substantial offer.

That said, the last I checked he was still in Clarkson's box.

Could this be one of those times where we are both right? I know I definitely am.

25 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Not rubbish at all. The last time I spoke with Adem, granted it was a few years ago now, he was far from complimentary about the MFC. Now, enough personnel (both in the football department and admin) may have turned over for him to reconsider, but it would've taken a seriously substantial offer.

That said, the last I checked he was still in Clarkson's box.

Could this be one of those times where we are both right? I know I definitely am.

Perhaps. I don't know about his feelings on his exit from the club but am aware a few other players from that era have bad memories of theirs.

But can 100% guarantee you that near the end of last season he was very excited and hopeful about the possibility of coming back to the Dees as a coach. Definitely wanted it to happen, tried to make it happen, but as mentioned previously, other factors came into play and at this stage it was better professionally to stay at Hawthorn (and they weren't shy about playing hardball).

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 1

I think Yze was coach of the backline at Hawthorn after his stint at the Box Hill Hawks. So I believe he’s had a few jobs at that club. And if as reported, Hawthorn fought to keep him on, he must be very valuable in their eyes.                                                                                         And as for his reported antipathy towards the Dee’s, I’m pretty sure I saw him all decked out in red and blue, along with other former players in a march to the G a few years ago.

And further: if I remember correctly (could be wrong) Adem was well on the way to breaking the Stynes 244 continuous games record and was somehow stopped by the powers at the club, though details escape me! I don’t think he appreciated that!

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did he extend his contract with the Hawks last year after failing to get a clearance to come back to Melbourne?

He did apply for the Adelaide job as well last year which probably means he’s keen to get the top job somewhere at some time!

yze was super close to coming to the dees at the end of last season

hawks gave him a better deal with greater responsibility and also now have it that, in order for him to leave, he either has to go on to be a senior coach or director of football or some such malarkey

things might be different given the effects the 'rona has had on football departments and the soft cap, but he ain't coming to the dees in the soon to near future 

47 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

yze was super close to coming to the dees at the end of last season

hawks gave him a better deal with greater responsibility and also now have it that, in order for him to leave, he either has to go on to be a senior coach or director of football or some such malarkey

things might be different given the effects the 'rona has had on football departments and the soft cap, but he ain't coming to the dees in the soon to near future 

Unless it's as head coach...

I don't think an untried coach is the answer. Clearly hasn't worked with Goodwin, or Neeld for that matter. This club needs to find an established coach with a good track record. We have the list. The list just isn't playing consistent football for the coach. Every single player can come out in the media and sing Goodwin's praises, he is probably a great bloke. But unless he can find a way to get the list to perform consistently - then we desperately need to explore other options, even if that means paying him out early. I suspect he will get to the end of the year, but if we were to miss finals he should be moved on. That is a bare minimum pass mark for a side that made a prelim two years back and was expected to trend upwards.