Jump to content

Wallace Rates Dees Trade Period


Demonland

Recommended Posts

Terry's brain has gone soft most likely due to the soup and mashed food diet he adopted since 1987.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dr.D said:

we still have a fair way to go. losing to wce by what really couldve been 130 points plus in the prelim

That’s 64 points more than we actually lost by and the negative way to look at it.  With the reverse logic an optimist might say we could’ve almost won it!  Both statements are stupid. Fact is we lost by 66 points in the prelim and still have to improve.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Lets face it.
Collingwood have more money, better resources, better facilities, a larger supporter base to play infront of and just played off in a GF.
No surprise to me the perennial basketcase was supposedly 2nd choice.

Means nothing. He is playing for us. [censored] Collingwood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2018 at 4:58 PM, Freddy Fuschia said:

There were others who gave us an A so it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Remember, everyone was raving last year about Port Adelaide - where did they finish and how did their recruits go?

 

I don't see how anyone can rate trading until 1 or 2 years down the track. Until then it's pure supposition.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


55 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

I don't see how anyone can rate trading until 1 or 2 years down the track. Until then it's pure supposition.

Other way round. It's the best time to rate trading. There's no accountability and no way anyone can argue with you due to a lack of any quantifiable metrics. You can stick your neck right out with no fear of it being chopped off.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People can rate trades now, but it is just opinions and gives us something to talk about.  No-one can argue they are right or wrong until later.

For example, my opinion is Plough is not just wrong on our trading but also Richmonds.  He had Richmond as an A.  I don't see it.  Richmonds biggest problem in 2018 was they suck at contested ball and clearances and covered that well for most of the season due to being the best pressure team.  Collingwood exposed them in clearances in the prelim.  Richmond have done nothing to address that.  They had to create salary cap space to get Lynch and shed 5 of their better depth players.  Maybe some player discontent as well.  Time will tell but I think we did better in the trade period than Richmond because we addressed some shortcomings.  Richmond strengthened an area that they were already good (2nd highest scoring team).  I hope we play both Max and Preuss on ANZAC eve to totally destroy Nankervis, starve the Richmond forwards, and expose what a useless critic Plough is....

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

People can rate trades now, but it is just opinions and gives us something to talk about.  No-one can argue they are right or wrong until later.

For example, my opinion is Plough is not just wrong on our trading but also Richmonds.  He had Richmond as an A.  I don't see it.  Richmonds biggest problem in 2018 was they suck at contested ball and clearances and covered that well for most of the season due to being the best pressure team.  Collingwood exposed them in clearances in the prelim.  Richmond have done nothing to address that.  They had to create salary cap space to get Lynch and shed 5 of their better depth players.  Maybe some player discontent as well.  Time will tell but I think we did better in the trade period than Richmond because we addressed some shortcomings.  Richmond strengthened an area that they were already good (2nd highest scoring team).  I hope we play both Max and Preuss on ANZAC eve to totally destroy Nankervis, starve the Richmond forwards, and expose what a useless critic Plough is....

I think getting Lynch, surely the best player available under free agency this year, is a significant boost to Richmond. They only had one legitimate tall forward, a very good one, but also one who is about 30 years old. They needed to boost this area immediately and have done so. I can see why Wallace gave them an A, but I can also see that if Richmond don't win another Premiership in the next two years they could be headed for a long period of pain. It's a calculated move and if I were managing Richmond's list it is exactly what I would have done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

People can rate trades now, but it is just opinions and gives us something to talk about.  No-one can argue they are right or wrong until later.

For example, my opinion is Plough is not just wrong on our trading but also Richmonds.  He had Richmond as an A.  I don't see it.  Richmonds biggest problem in 2018 was they suck at contested ball and clearances and covered that well for most of the season due to being the best pressure team.  Collingwood exposed them in clearances in the prelim.  Richmond have done nothing to address that.  They had to create salary cap space to get Lynch and shed 5 of their better depth players.  Maybe some player discontent as well.  Time will tell but I think we did better in the trade period than Richmond because we addressed some shortcomings.  Richmond strengthened an area that they were already good (2nd highest scoring team).  I hope we play both Max and Preuss on ANZAC eve to totally destroy Nankervis, starve the Richmond forwards, and expose what a useless critic Plough is....

Agree.  It will be fascinating to see if Richmond use Lynch in the ruck.  It was comical at times with Grigg supporting Nankervis.  If Nankervis went down in a big match they would be totally screwed. 

Soldo and Chol are ordinary depth too if he's out for weeks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think getting Lynch, surely the best player available under free agency this year, is a significant boost to Richmond. They only had one legitimate tall forward, a very good one, but also one who is about 30 years old. They needed to boost this area immediately and have done so. I can see why Wallace gave them an A, but I can also see that if Richmond don't win another Premiership in the next two years they could be headed for a long period of pain. It's a calculated move and if I were managing Richmond's list it is exactly what I would have done.

That's a fair enough point but is that all you would have done?  What I don't get though is why they didn't go hard for some hard nut insiders, because it is a major weakness.  Why didn't they try and get Tyson or others that were available.  In 2018 they almost concede they won't get their hands on the ball first around stoppages and just rely on pressuring the ball carrier so they can get intercepts in the defensive 50.  How that strategy backfired in the prelim.  It is a major flaw they have.

Edited by Watson11
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

That's a fair enough point but is that all you would have done?  What I don't get though is why they didn't go hard for some hard nut insiders, because it is a major weakness.  Why didn't they try and get Tyson or others that were available.  In 2018 they almost concede they won't get their hands on the ball first around stoppages and just rely on pressuring the ball carrier so they can get intercepts in the defensive 50.  How that strategy backfired in the prelim.  It is a major flaw they have.

You make some fair points. I guess we don't really know what they tried to do during the trade period and how much their hands were tied by salary cap pressure. (I presume some of the player off-loading was related to their salary cap.) Of course, if their hands are tied, they managed to do that to themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the wisdom of waiting a couple of seasons to rate a trade  period. 

And given that, if we were to rate our trade efforts of 2015, 2016 & 2017 now, did we trade well..? 

Id say yes, and that gives me confidence that this years trade period will also bare quality fruit. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, durango said:

I think the MFC has done well and added some mongrel to a hard at side with May and Pruess, I think that hard at mongrel was part of the reason Hawthorn was such a good side during their premiership years.

Mongrel is a quaint term but a good label for a footy side determined for success. A few quieter mongrels exist in Viney, AVB, Trac, Hibberd, Maynard, the Jet and to a lesser degree these days, Chunk. Nice, 'aint it?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think getting Lynch, surely the best player available under free agency this year, is a significant boost to Richmond. They only had one legitimate tall forward, a very good one, but also one who is about 30 years old. They needed to boost this area immediately and have done so. I can see why Wallace gave them an A ...

Well, Richmond didn't actually "trade" for Lynch, they just got him as a FA. Hardly a matter of skill.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 10/24/2018 at 11:19 AM, Dr.D said:

you're talking about hypotheticals. At this stage, Lever and May have done nothing for our club. 

Classic.

I could actually imagine mark neeld, saying to a brand new recruit, yet to a play a game:

'you have done nothing for this club, zero, nada, ZILCH. You need to lift your game and harden the truck up'

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Watson11 said:

People can rate trades now, but it is just opinions and gives us something to talk about.  No-one can argue they are right or wrong until later.

For example, my opinion is Plough is not just wrong on our trading but also Richmonds.  He had Richmond as an A.  I don't see it.  Richmonds biggest problem in 2018 was they suck at contested ball and clearances and covered that well for most of the season due to being the best pressure team.  Collingwood exposed them in clearances in the prelim.  Richmond have done nothing to address that.  They had to create salary cap space to get Lynch and shed 5 of their better depth players.  Maybe some player discontent as well.  Time will tell but I think we did better in the trade period than Richmond because we addressed some shortcomings.  Richmond strengthened an area that they were already good (2nd highest scoring team).  I hope we play both Max and Preuss on ANZAC eve to totally destroy Nankervis, starve the Richmond forwards, and expose what a useless critic Plough is....

Great post.

As an interstate supporter, most of my games are watched on Fox, as terrible as most of the commentary is, 1 common occurrence was "Max is on the bench, watch (insert team) take advantage at this clearance" said over and over. Which did actually happen quite often. Kitty litter, blood rule, Max stays on, ball doesn't leave our forward 50.

As 1 example.

Preuss, glaring hole filled!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, binman said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, why?

A chunk of steel that's dragged thru the mud behind a tractor? Fitting.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apart from the Preuss error of judgement, Wallace is pretty well spot on with where he thinks the Dees are.

Apologies if this has been previously posted. Here is Wallace on trade radio from 4th October (before the Jesse/May trades went down).

https://omny.fm/shows/trade-radio/list-manager-terry-wallace-analyses-the-demons?in_playlist=trade-radio!podcast

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2018 at 7:40 PM, wobbleguts said:

Apart from the Preuss error of judgement, Wallace is pretty well spot on with where he thinks the Dees are.

Apologies if this has been previously posted. Here is Wallace on trade radio from 4th October (before the Jesse/May trades went down).

https://omny.fm/shows/trade-radio/list-manager-terry-wallace-analyses-the-demons?in_playlist=trade-radio!podcast

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

    With the Melbourne Football Club's first pick in the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Draft and pick number 11 overall the Demon's selected Western Australian key forward Luker Kentfield from Subiaco.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 91

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 152

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 29

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 397

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 503
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...