Demonland

Wallace Rates Dees Trade Period

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:52 PM, PaulRB said:

I agree with the wisdom of waiting a couple of seasons to rate a trade  period. 

And given that, if we were to rate our trade efforts of 2015, 2016 & 2017 now, did we trade well..? 

Id say yes, and that gives me confidence that this years trade period will also bare quality fruit. 

More than a couple of seasons in most cases. sometimes a decade.

Lets look at Judd v Kennedy and Masten. carlton clearly happy first couple of years and streets ahead. Kennedy comes good and looks like Carlton in front but the gaps is closing. Weagles lose a grands final, Kennedy poor. Well Carlton probably won that deal right ? then Judd has to retire early, and now a few years later Kennedy is pivotal in a premiership win. Weagles win the trade in my opinion.

And it only took 11 years to work it out !!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bay Riffin said:

Lets look at Judd v Kennedy and Masten. carlton clearly happy first couple of years and streets ahead. Kennedy comes good and looks like Carlton in front but the gaps is closing. Weagles lose a grands final, Kennedy poor. Well Carlton probably won that deal right ? then Judd has to retire early, and now a few years later Kennedy is pivotal in a premiership win. Weagles win the trade in my opinion.

I agree that Carlton would have been happy the first couple of years. But they shouldn't have been. Having Judd just papered over serious cracks and gave a short-term sugar hit. Not Judd's fault but Carlton were naive if they thought one superstar player is all that is necessary to be a success.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:17 AM, pineapple dee said:

How long since we had a solid legit full back. Danny Hughes... Ray Biffen 

Not a spelling Nazi thing but I find it hilarious that @Biffen's presence on this board and his various philosophical musings have led to more and more people spelling Ray Biffin's name with an 'e'.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 10:41 AM, Watson11 said:

That's a fair enough point but is that all you would have done?  What I don't get though is why they didn't go hard for some hard nut insiders, because it is a major weakness.  Why didn't they try and get Tyson or others that were available.  In 2018 they almost concede they won't get their hands on the ball first around stoppages and just rely on pressuring the ball carrier so they can get intercepts in the defensive 50.  How that strategy backfired in the prelim.  It is a major flaw they have.

Which raises the question: does Hardwick only have the one gear?

7 hours ago, Bay Riffin said:

I think it was a win-win trade. Carlton's problem was they didn't go hard enough at trying to build their midfield to compliment Judd's recruitment, therefore during his time at Carlton, his class compensated for their lack of depth.

11 minutes ago, A F said:

I think it was a win-win trade. Carlton's problem was they didn't go hard enough at trying to build their midfield to compliment Judd's recruitment, therefore during his time at Carlton, his class compensated for their lack of depth.

But Adam, at the end of the day, Juddy was a very expensive buy and it did not translate into team success/flag. Whereas, Kennedy has been pivotal to his team's success/flag.

Kennedy for mine.

29 minutes ago, hemingway said:

But Adam, at the end of the day, Juddy was a very expensive buy and it did not translate into team success/flag. Whereas, Kennedy has been pivotal to his team's success/flag.

Kennedy for mine.

That's not Judd's fault though. That's Carlton's, who have been worse at recruiting than us over the past two decades. If West Coast hadn't recruited Sheed, Shuey, Mastern, Gaff etc to build depth in their midfield, as well as recruit KPP players in Darling, McGovern, Barrass etc they could easily be in Carlton's position. If you remember, Carlton had an undersized Fevola as their KPF and not much else at either end. They were never going to win a flag with that list. 

But we'll agree to disagree, mate.

• Like 1

I must also say that whilst I am happy with the additions during the trade period, I am concerned by our lack of depth.

But I guess this could he said of one of our major competitors next year in Richmond too.

Surely, they couldn't go another year with such an incredible run with injuries?

I just hope we can continue to improve our system to enable us to cover holes where injury occurs, as well as staying injury-free for the majority of the season.

7 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I agree that Carlton would have been happy the first couple of years. But they shouldn't have been. Having Judd just papered over serious cracks and gave a short-term sugar hit. Not Judd's fault but Carlton were naive if they thought one superstar player is all that is necessary to be a success.

Carlton have always looked and hoped for a Messiah in all that they do ! Doesn’t exist!

its their buy success attitude. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, demonique said:

Carlton have always looked and hoped for a Messiah in all that they do ! Doesn’t exist!

its their buy success attitude. 

It did exist in RDB...

Gary Buckenara has a write-up on how he thinks each club's list is shaping up going into next year. I can't get past the pay-wall though so a paraphrase would be great from someone who subscribes to the Sun...

Anddddd go. 

2 hours ago, A F said:

That's not Judd's fault though. That's Carlton's, who have been worse at recruiting than us over the past two decades. If West Coast hadn't recruited Sheed, Shuey, Mastern, Gaff etc to build depth in their midfield, as well as recruit KPP players in Darling, McGovern, Barrass etc they could easily be in Carlton's position. If you remember, Carlton had an undersized Fevola as their KPF and not much else at either end. They were never going to win a flag with that list. 

But we'll agree to disagree, mate.

The eagles don't have as much depth as our midfield the last three times we played them Kennedy not playing Melbourne 2 weagles 0, all at their home ground where they are a 8 goal better side, Kennedy played 10 times in home away season they win all 10, without Kennedy they are 6 wins 6 loses, a average team without him. The eagles won the trade because Judd was getting 1 mill 6 years before clubs could fit in a 1 mill player in the cap, which means with Judd coming they could not build their depth, they played 3 finals in his first 3 season, then have not come close, yet weagles have only missed finals a few times since. And yes it is not Judd's fault but that's not the point, wins and loses is the only  measurement of success.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:19 AM, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

How is everyone so confused about the Preuss trade??

We've now got the best number one ruck and one of the best back-up rucks in the comp.....

wallace is an idiot.

Agree. Preuss trade opens up a lot of options for us: 

1. Max playing a defensive role down back when we run into an Eagles type ambush again. 

2. max playing a Paul Salmon type role - more round the ground and up forward. 

3 max gets to rest more up forward. 

Preuss is already an accomplished ruckman who is a similar size to Max. He will learn a huge amount from the star no. 11. The eagles proved how effective two ruckman can be in finals. I think this is a really smart move, and is not a mystery at all.  Can’t  see Preuss playing too many games at Casey, except on very wet days. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 11:17 AM, pineapple dee said:

How long since we had a solid legit full back. Danny Hughes... Ray Biffen 

Anthony Ingerson.