Training - Thursday, 6th September, 2018

General Malaise

Was there momentarily before my phone died and only saw warms ups, but...

Both Smiths, Tyson, Hunt, Hannan all out with the big boys.

Garlett, Pederson, Wagner and Bugg among those who trained with Casey group. (Done for the year?)

Pretty sure Nev and Vanders weren't there and can't remember seeing Lewis, not sure about Harmes.

And I'm a total idiot 'cos I forgot to even look for JV.

Kent and Bernie still rehabbing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Got there late - Nev was there so was JV and Lewis

JSmith and Hunt doing drills with the backline group

TSmith working with the forwards?? And Hannan

didnt see AVB

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Got there late - Nev was there so was JV and Lewis

JSmith and Hunt doing drills with the backline group

TSmith working with the forwards?? And Hannan

didnt see AVB

Who was Fritsch training with the backs, mids or forwards? If he wasn't training with the backs, it probably means hunt or smith will come in. 

• Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Who was Fritsch training with the backs, mids or forwards? If he wasn't training with the backs, it probably means hunt or smith will come in. 

Fritsch was doing drills with the backline squad, Lewis, OMac, Frost, Nev, Salem, JSmith, Hunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jaded said:

My bold prediction is

Out: Kent

In: Viney

I REALLY want Hannan in, but I just don't see them dropping anyone else. Hope it doesn't cost us. 

I think they will bring in Hannan for Kent and Viney for JKH. I'm not sold on Tyson playing and I think we need Fritsch up forward/wings more. Unsure if there will be more changes though.

• Like 1

The mornings session was sharp and sweet. Blink and you would miss it. Plenty of media there.

They seemed to be in a joyous mood. There was lots of talk and regularly they gathered in small groups to have discussions. Probably related to structures.

Rehab had Bernie Vince, Oskar Baker, Dean Kent and Lachlan Filopovic. Bernie, Oskar and Crossy doing some nice kicking to moving targets (Great for Oskars development). Kenty doing laps.

They started off doing kicking practice, then split into their lines. The mids did hit ups to the forwards. Backs continued kicking.

Goodwin spent time with the forwards. At one time structured them up without any ball play.

Jack Viney did some one on one work getting his touch with below knee drills.

Some work with drills to stop the opponent recieving the handball off the mark from running on. 

The forwards and mids finished with goal kicking.

Sam Frost doing some work running up the wing and then kicking the ball to a coach.

No Aaron vandenBerg, probably being managed. He had been in the test group the last two weeks.

James Harmes at training. Mitch Hannan having long discussion with Max Rooke.

Last to leave were Jake Melksham and Christian Petracca who were goal kicking.

Go Dees,
from Kev Martin

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

25 minutes ago, Jaded said:

My bold prediction is

I REALLY want Hannan in, but I just don't see them dropping anyone else. Hope it doesn't cost us. 

If Fritsch stays back I expect Hannan to play. I watched him closely at the Eagles win and he is a very difficult match-up when he has the space to create multiple options in due to his speed and spring. JKH doesn't offer us that so I can see him making way for Hannan who essentially would've played without any doubt against GWS had his knee been okay. His follow up performance in the VFL of 3 snags and a screamer is enough to warrant a return.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, 000 said:

The mornings session was sharp and sweet. Blink and you would miss it. Plenty of media there.

They seemed to be in a joyous mood. There was lots of talk and regularly they gathered in small groups to have discussions. Probably related to structures.

Rehab had Bernie Vince, Oskar Baker, Dean Kent and Lachlan Filopovic. Bernie, Oskar and Crossy doing some nice kicking to moving targets (Great for Oskars development). Kenty doing laps.

They started off doing kicking practice, then split into their lines. The mids did hit ups to the forwards. Backs continued kicking.

Goodwin spent time with the forwards. At one time structured them up without any ball play.

Jack Viney did some one on one work getting his touch with below knee drills.

Some work with drills to stop the opponent recieving the handball off the mark from running on. 

The forwards and mids finished with goal kicking.

Sam Frost doing some work running up the wing and then kicking the ball to a coach.

No Aaron vandenBerg, probably being managed. He had been in the test group the last two weeks.

James Harmes at training. Mitch Hannan having long discussion with Max Rooke.

Last to leave were Jake Melksham and Christian Petracca who were goal kicking.

Go Dees,
from Kev Martin

Big Kev your the go to man in these situations, Viney's a lock, do you think Hannan will come in from your observations this morning?

If Tyson does not play, I don't see Hannan as his automatic replacement. The Match Committee might want to add a defender to release Fritsch to play further up the ground, effectively replacing Tyson on the wing. If that's the case J Smith or Hunt might be selected ahead of Hannan. That's not to say Hannan might not be selected to replace JKH but if that were to occur that would be three changes (ie, Out Kent, Tyson and JKH) which would be quite a surprise after such a solid victory in Round 23.

1 hour ago, McQueen said:

If Fritsch stays back I expect Hannan to play. I watched him closely at the Eagles win and he is a very difficult match-up when he has the space to create multiple options in due to his speed and spring. JKH doesn't offer us that so I can see him making way for Hannan who essentially would've played without any doubt against GWS had his knee been okay. His follow up performance in the VFL of 3 snags and a screamer is enough to warrant a return.

True Mac, very true, that was the structure that served us well.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

Big Kev your the go to man in these situations, Viney's a lock, do you think Hannan will come in from your observations this morning?

Too difficult to determine. I hope it is the same for our opposition and we keep them guessing, so they don't get there match ups right. Possible ins with Joel, Tim and Jayden but most likely Hannan. He was kicking beautiful goals today and Rooke talking to him suggest he is being considered. Who to drop if anyone? The worry was the absence of Vanders one day out. 

Edited by 000
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Was there momentarily before my phone died and only saw warms ups, but...

Both Smiths, Tyson, Hunt, Hannan all out with the big boys.

Garlett, Pederson, Wagner and Bugg among those who trained with Casey group. (Done for the year?)

Pretty sure Nev and Vanders weren't there and can't remember seeing Lewis, not sure about Harmes.

And I'm a total idiot 'cos I forgot to even look for JV.

Kent and Bernie still rehabbing.

1/. Was Tyson doing full contact work?  Did he have an arm guard?   I can see Geelong targeting his injured arm with those niggles and sly jabs.

2/. Nobody (uninjured) is done for the year as long as both firsts and second keep on winning.

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

My bold prediction is

See above -- still some big reservations about Tyson playing.  That said I will be happy to consume a massive slice of humble pie if he does and is BOG.

I only saw warm ups so not sure about Tyson and body work, he seemed to have a light guard on under his sleeve.

Agree with you re 'done for the year', my comment was a throw-away based on the 'Casey' players who were training with with the main group, but almost certainly won't be lining up tomorrow - T Smith, Hunt I guess, and wondered why Garlett and Ped, particularly, weren't there with them.

But, hey, maybe Vanders is out and T Smith is in as replacement bullock.