Bernie keen to lure Sloane to the Dees

Demonland

29 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Question without notice: 

If Sloane retires after 2 or 3 years, do they have to keep him in their salary cap for the remaining years of his contract?

Yes.

AFL made a ruling when Swans signed Buddy on 9 year deal to ensure the contract $ stay are in sal cap for contract duration even if player retires/cashes out early @ discounted value. 

Hawks have carried Vickery $ this year and I'm pretty sure we carried Lumumba $ last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Question without notice: 

If Sloane retires after 2 or 3 years, do they have to keep him in their salary cap for the remaining years of his contract?

that's my understanding

though take into account front-loading and year 5 (&4?) may be conditional and therefore actually a contract extension

• Like 1

I had a quiet chuckle that Price Gibbs was the second happiest in the room !

Good that he stayed, how has he been after foot injury, he is slow not a great kick, 5 years too long?, the problem with his type is they tend to lose a yard of pace once they hit 29 30, when you are slow that makes a big difference, is he over hyped? I think the crows have missed their chance of a flag, should have been last year and injuries have ruined this year, but I guess next year they might be right up there, with both crouch bothers fully fit and Brodie smith fully fit. Vince now has no value to our team, we gave him  another contract so he could get Sloane, now with that gone Vince should retire now.

So all media experts that were sure he would leave for Victoria were completely wrong.

Every player that puts off contract negoitations leaves... what a load of BS. 

Sloane is a loyal guy, not much of it left these days

14 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

After losing do many stars over the years, the Crows are desperate to keep one, so have paid overs. Well overs.

They won't care, they get a bonus first round draft pick for free this year!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, daisycutter said:

that's my understanding

though take into account front-loading and year 5 (&4?) may be conditional and therefore actually a contract extension

That's it.

And if after 3 yrs, the Crows tell Sloane, "they cannot guarantee him a seniors game for the next 2 yrs", as others have moved ahead of him...

Sloane possible could decide to retire.  Especially with the dollars vastly dropping in the last 2 years of said contract.

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

So all media experts that were sure he would leave for Victoria were completely wrong.

Every player that puts off contract negoitations leaves... what a load of BS. 

Sloane is a loyal guy, not much of it left these days

I wonder, IF our recent 3 losses in a row, altered his thinking on leaving them?

Edited by DV8

On 7/11/2018 at 4:18 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes.

AFL made a ruling when Swans signed Buddy on 9 year deal to ensure the contract $ stay are in sal cap for contract duration even if player retires/cashes out early @ discounted value. 

Hawks have carried Vickery $ this year and I'm pretty sure we carried Lumumba $ last year.

Pretty sure this is wrong. The commentators are talking about how much money hawthorn have in their salary cap because of cyril retiring (contracted until 2020). 

The afl didn't make a ruling they just said you would have to because it was such a big contract not sure how they would go about following through with their threat if he did retire.

3 hours ago, Deefiant said:

Pretty sure this is wrong. The commentators are talking about how much money hawthorn have in their salary cap because of cyril retiring (contracted until 2020). 

The afl didn't make a ruling they just said you would have to because it was such a big contract not sure how they would go about following through with their threat if he did retire.

i think - and i could be wrong (it's been known to happen) - that if you sign a free agent then you have to honour their contract

it's why hawthorn were still paying vickery as part of their salary cap this season ($500k) and why they won't have to with rioli

6 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i think - and i could be wrong (it's been known to happen) - that if you sign a free agent then you have to honour their contract

it's why hawthorn were still paying vickery as part of their salary cap this season ($500k) and why they won't have to with rioli

Seems to make sense. Does that mean in the case of Sloane they wouldnt have to since technically he just extended his contract?

2 hours ago, Deefiant said:

Seems to make sense. Does that mean in the case of Sloane they wouldnt have to since technically he just extended his contract?

If it doesn't apply to Sloane (Free Agent) it would give Adelaide an unfair advantage on number of contract years offered.  Not sure about the detail on this.

• 3 weeks later...

Completely shut down by James Harmes, who claims another scalp.

Laughing at the Crows signed him to that ridiculous contract.    Injury prone and tagged out of games more often than any 'star' midfielder in recent memory.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Laughing at the Crows signed him to that ridiculous contract.    Injury prone and tagged out of games more often than any 'star' midfielder in recent memory.

Definitely an interesting contract. Never thought they would give in and cough up the 5 years. Still can’t break a good tag. 

26 minutes ago, A F said:

Has always lacked polish. A solid B grader for mine. In the same class as Jones IMO.

Think his best cracked in to the top 20 mids that I'd call A grade, as Jones probably was in 2014. Not convinced it was a long peak of quality though.

His marking, and ability to get to and influence contests was as good as any midfielder not named Fyfe.

A little surprised we put Harmes on to Sloane and not Gibbs but I guess it was to shut do Slaone befre he got started and go head to head with the rest

8 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Wouldn't get a touch in an intra-club game!