Hibberd on Lever

Demonland

Michael Hibberd talks about Jake Lever leaving Adelaide and joining the Dees.

“Jake’s a super player — easily one of the best intercept mark players in the league,” Hibberd said. “And a young player with a lot of upside and a lot of footy to play.

“As I’ll be spending a lot of time with him in the same part of the field, I’m looking forward to teaching him a few things — and also to learning from him as well.”

• Like 9
  • Love 1

The addition of both Lever this year and Hibberd last year has and will completely transform our backline from an obvious weakness to now a strength.

O-Mac will now be the only player I’ll worry about. But with another pre-season and further development to his skills and body I’ll feel a little bit better. 

Lever, Hibberd and Jetta make our backline group sound very strong.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Any players who resent Jake Lever coming to the club on Top Dollar need to be weeded out themselves  

Back in 1973 Big Carl came to the Demons on huge coin ($70,000 a year) which was unheard of  

But i doubt players complained, as Big Carl looked after his team mates on the field  

i remember talking to Robbie Flower about Big Carl, not long before he died  

when Carl went back to the Aints Robbie said he was geniunely worried for his safety..!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I certainly hope not..

(He has a coaching role with the women’s side).

Why not?  At his best, Garland was an excellent backman.  Couple that with his intelligence and I think he could be very well suited to the coaching game.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

Why not?  At his best, Garland was an excellent backman.  Couple that with his intelligence and I think he could be very well suited to the coaching game.

Garland didn't play an intelligent brand of football. Even at his best. It will be seared in my memory forever in the first 10m of a game against the Saints at the MCG  where Garland left Reiwoldt to run to a contest on the members wing. He got to the contest but opted not to jump at the ball or impact the contest in any way. He stood at the back of the pack doing nothing. Needless to say Reiwoldt ran back to towards the goal and received the ball and kicked a goal - Nathan Jones tried valiantly to dive on the ball and nearly killed himself in the process. Garland jogged back to the defence after the goal.

I have seen numerous times Garland doing supid things like that which are unforgiveable for a senior player.  He had one good year finishing, I think 3rd, in the Bluey. Other than that he has very average.

7 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Garland didn't play an intelligent brand of football. Even at his best. It will be seared in my memory forever in the first 10m of a game against the Saints at the MCG  where Garland left Reiwoldt to run to a contest on the members wing. He got to the contest but opted not to jump at the ball or impact the contest in any way. He stood at the back of the pack doing nothing. Needless to say Reiwoldt ran back to towards the goal and received the ball and kicked a goal - Nathan Jones tried valiantly to dive on the ball and nearly killed himself in the process. Garland jogged back to the defence after the goal.

I have seen numerous times Garland doing supid things like that which are unforgiveable for a senior player.  He had one good year finishing, I think 3rd, in the Bluey. Other than that he has very average.

Well, I don't remember that one incident or those other incidents, and I remember my own incidents and in the reverse.

Hence, disagreement.

Doesn't mean he would be a good, bad, or indifferent coach though.

Moot City.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

O-Mac will now be the only player I’ll worry about. But with another pre-season and further development to his skills and body I’ll feel a little bit better.

Speaking for everyone on here, we feel better for knowing you'll feel better about Oscar this year.. best news ever!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

The addition of both Lever this year and Hibberd last year has and will completely transform our backline from an obvious weakness to now a strength.

Lever, Hibberd and Jetta make our backline group sound very strong.

Gee only Omac, I worry about all the young players making the transition from school footy to a professional environment, you have exceptions like Viney, but most have to work their arses off just to get a game, Omac is doing just that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hardtack said:

Define the type of intelligence you're referring to?

When people say he's intelligent, I'm imaging it's because he 'thinks' about more than only being an 'AFL footballer'. In a similar vein to Jack Watts. I can see he has a passion to work, empower and help people outside of football and his interviews have always been more interesting to listen to than someone like Dom Tyson's or James Frawley's. So yeh, he thinks a bit more and expresses himself more clearly.

But to be a successful coach at AFL level, you need to possess a quality that I've never really seen from him. Ruthlessness.

I don't think I ever saw him play with any ruthlessness whatsoever. Minimal aggression, intent or desire to scrap. I always viewed the way he played as someone who was almost apologetic. Apologetic to the opposition. It was weird. And unfortunately for him it was probably compounded by the fact that he was playing in a side that was being beaten from pillar to post most weeks.

I agree with @jnrmac in that I remember far more forgettable moments from him as a player compared to positive ones. And given the current group of players we've assembled and the 'type' of list and players we want at the club, I can't really see why the club would employ an ex-player who was boarderline 22 before he did his knee and who lacks ruthlessness to his game. 

Just my view. Garland is a nice bloke, loyal and all that fluff stuff, but as Peter Jackson said about Jack Watts the other day, he's just not a ruthless guy. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan

6 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Gee only Omac, I worry about all the young players making the transition from school footy to a professional environment, you have exceptions like Viney, but most have to work their arses off just to get a game, Omac is doing just that

Out of our potential round 1 backline group, O-Mac will be the only one I'll be worrying about.

It was all there in my post the first time. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

When people say he's intelligent, I'm imaging it's because he 'thinks' about more than only being an 'AFL footballer'. In a similar vein to Jack Watts. I can see he has a passion to work, empower and help people outside of football and his interviews have always been more interesting to listen to than someone like Dom Tyson's or James Frawley's. So yeh, he thinks a bit more and expresses himself more clearly.

But to be a successful coach at AFL level, you need to possess a quality that I've never really seen from him. Ruthlessness.

I don't think I ever saw him play with any ruthlessness whatsoever. Minimal aggression, intent or desire to scrap. I always viewed the way he played as someone who was almost apologetic. Apologetic to the opposition. It was weird. And unfortunately for him it was probably compounded by the fact that he was playing in a side that was being beaten from pillar to post most weeks.

I agree with @jnrmac in that I remember far more forgettable moments from him as a player compared to positive ones. And given the current group of players we've assembled and the 'type' of list and players we want at the club, I can't really see why the club would employ an ex-player who was boarderline 22 before he did his knee and who lacks ruthlessness to his game. 

Just my view. Garland is a nice bloke, loyal and all that fluff stuff, but as Peter Jackson said about Jack Watts the other day, he's just not a ruthless guy. 

Ruthlessness for head coach yes, thinking Barassi, Matthews, Mathouse, Sheedy et al but not necessary for a line coach I would have thought. They are there to teach specific skills and game set up and build up a player's confidence. 

7 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

You have absolutely no idea  obviously of Garland the person. If you have any idea of where he came from & his background then your comments are at least ....laughable.  Don’t  make those comments & pre-judge a person based on your impression of how he played the  game.  MFC is not a charity....they don’t hand out jobs to people “just for the sake of it” .....before you make the above statements....let’s just see how he goes....you have no idea what “ruthlessness” means when you don’t actually know the person.  I am thrilled for him ! 

“ 

• Like 1

Geeeee, by the time I got to the end of this thread I'd forgotten what it was about.

Ah yes, Hibberd and Lever our new improved backbone: add Jetta and Hunt and we start to build something of quality. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

Geeeee, by the time I got to the end of this thread I'd forgotten what it was about.

Ah yes, Hibberd and Lever our new improved backbone: add Jetta and Hunt and we start to build something of quality. 

Agreed. A massive pick up. And Omac is still a kid. Give him 10kgs and 50 games and we have a very, very good backline in the making. Backs don't win Norm Smiths, but they do win most flags.

• Like 2