David Zaharakis

Why did this become a CP discussion when we're looking for an outside mid that can break the lines and play wing and move into the middle at times? Oh because the thread was hijacked with a label (soft) 

But compare him to current players on our list and at the very least with his pace, he allows others to develop as injury depth for 2-3 years and is a marginal upgrade that comes at little cost with free agency. He's going to have 2 or 3 big games per year which I think is also an upgrade on our bottom 6.

V Stretch http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=3129&pid2=4069&fid1=S&fid2=S

v Bugg http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=3129&pid2=3772&fid1=S&fid2=S

v Harmes http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=3129&pid2=3981&fid1=S&fid2=S

His stats line up closer to Dom Tyson:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=3129&pid2=3641&fid1=S&fid2=S

Edited by DominatrixTyson

15 hours ago, DominatrixTyson said:

Oh, you don't want to have a discussion and just want to state your opinion as fact?

Normal ProDee response: makes ex cathedra statements, will brace no reply, sounds like he is the font of all knowledge and wisdom, then tackles the man, not the ball. Pathetic.

Edited by dieter

12 minutes ago, DominatrixTyson said:

Why did this become a CP discussion when we're looking for an outside mid that can break the lines and play wing and move into the middle at times? Oh because the thread was hijacked with a label (soft) 

It became a CP discussion because you brought it up in response to him being 'soft.'

You've admitted yourself that you've seen little of him, so why are you pushing it so hard?  You'll see that most on here don't want him, that should be answer enough.  Compare that to how many people would love to recruit Jake Lever and you get the drift.

9 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

It became a CP discussion because you brought it up in response to him being 'soft.'

You've admitted yourself that you've seen little of him, so why are you pushing it so hard?  You'll see that most on here don't want him, that should be answer enough.  Compare that to how many people would love to recruit Jake Lever and you get the drift.

I'm not pushing anything hard, i'm just stating a case as to why he might be a handy addition to the list at a cheap price (in only a few comments). There's 'seeing very little of someone' and then there's seeing a good qualities in a player over a 10 year span from the exposure one person gets from seeing a small selection of Essendon games per year. I'm not a recruiter that watches every player, and so i put it to the forum to find out seeing as though we've had long discussions on Zak Jones and finding an outside mid with pace.

Edit: I guess we'll see towards the end of the year how much of an upgrade we need on our bottom 6 and whether they stand up over the next 3 months.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

1 hour ago, DominatrixTyson said:

Why did this become a CP discussion when we're looking for an outside mid that can break the lines and play wing and move into the middle at times?

Are you trying to take the ****

Because you said, "He averages 6 contested possessions per game..." in defence of him being soft.

Clearly you've no clue about some of the metrics used to evaluate performance.

Have you heard Godwin say we play "from the contest out" when asked to describe his brand of footy ?  At the MFC we don't sacrifice contest for outside run.  Goodwin will bring in a player who can 'reasonably' do both.

An outside player should have a ratio in the vicinity of 30-40% CP to total possessions, not 25%.

You've asked for opinions, but don't like the answers.  Noted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P-man said:

He's in an okay patch of form but Bomber supporters have bemoaned his lack of consistency for years. He'll have the odd very good game but the body of work isn't that impressive. 

As depth you'd consider him but I certainly wouldn't be jumping out of my skin.

One Melksham is enough.

Enough bombers on our mission ta very muchly !

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

Let me put Zaharakis' 6 contested possessions in context.

Jimmy Toumpas was let go by the MFC on the back of him not being able to win contested footy.  Jimmy averages a woeful 27.7% of his footy as CP.  Juniors with low percentage CP often fail to get drafted for this reason alone.

Zaharakis averages 25.3% of his footy as CP.  Worse than Jimmy.

It's a damning stat and not the current brand of the MFC.

How did you arrive at 25.3%? Using his career totals off afltables, using CP/(CP+UP)*100 gives ~32%. Jordan Lewis results in about 36%, Jack Viney 49%, Cale Morton 23%, Bernie Vince ~35%.

Not mounting any argument here, just trying to understand the scale on this statistic as it's not one I've come across before - I'm guessing a 'typical' AFL quality outside midfielder (so not Toumpas or Morton) number would be a fair bit lower than the 40 you quoted though - I'd expect Vince throughout his career to be reflective of a good outside mid.

Don't mind the suggestion but at 27 and a big gap between his best and worse it's a no from me.

The thought is good though. We need a pacy, linebreaking mid that can kick. An upgrade on Stretch who has stalled significantly this year. Not many around although Whitfield, Kelly, the Hill brothers are four that come to mind. 

• Like 1

Seen a lot of him. I would have been keen a number of years ago. He is one of those players who around the 60 game mark looked like he was going to progress into a good player but didn't really reach any further heights. His stats today would be very similar to 2012 or 2013. He is a good foot soldier.

I was thinking about saying that I would be happy to take him on the cheap but I hope the club has someone else in their sites as well as some more new blood for this years list spots. 1 or 2 established players plus about 3 new kids.

• Like 1

Such an odd thread.

Not the subject...just the subjection.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

How did you arrive at 25.3%? Using his career totals off afltables, using CP/(CP+UP)*100 gives ~32%. Jordan Lewis results in about 36%, Jack Viney 49%, Cale Morton 23%, Bernie Vince ~35%.

Not mounting any argument here, just trying to understand the scale on this statistic as it's not one I've come across before - I'm guessing a 'typical' AFL quality outside midfielder (so not Toumpas or Morton) number would be a fair bit lower than the 40 you quoted though - I'd expect Vince throughout his career to be reflective of a good outside mid.

I'm not using his career total, just 2017.

2014 was Zaharakis' best year.  That year he averaged 29.5% CP to total possessions.  It's always been on the low side.  

I'm using footywires stats from 2017 not AFL Tables.  

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=25&type=A&pid1=3129&pid2=3919&fid1=S&fid2=S

Josh Kelly averages 40% CP to total possessions this year (as you can see in the link above).  

EDIT: He was around 32% in 2016.  In 2010 (his second year) he averaged 5.1 CP from 16 disposals at 32% and he was 36% in 2011, which was a pretty good year for a young player, so it's been a mixed bag.  

Edited by ProDee

He's a restricted free agent, if the price is right why not, at minimum he is an upgrade on our bottom few in the 22, at his best he would be in our first dozen players. All we lose by picking up a player like him is 600k or so for a few years less than we have given up for Melksham and Hibberd considering we also had to trade for them.

Edited by Garbo

Always liked Zaharakis. Good head on his shoulders and well spoken too. He's got some traits we're looking for, but at 27 it's probably a fraction too late. Still, we're entering our window now and should consider not only personnel for the long-term but our short-term needs to climb through it. It is imperative that we win a flag as soon as we can, as it's a major key to any long-term and sustainable success.

I would be interested but feel his asking price may be a little bit high.  He's a quality player, not a superstar, but certainly a more capable player that a few on our list who get regular games.

Its time for us to start looking to free agents; cost us nothing but cap space so if the price is reasonable, he'd be getting games for us in 2018.

• Like 1

Just now, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I would be interested but feel his asking price may be a little bit high.  He's a quality player, not a superstar, but certainly a more capable player that a few on our list who get regular games.

Its time for us to start looking to free agents; cost us nothing but cap space so if the price is reasonable, he'd be getting games for us in 2018.

Yeah where ?

11 hours ago, ProDee said:

Let me put Zaharakis' 6 contested possessions in context.

Jimmy Toumpas was let go by the MFC on the back of him not being able to win contested footy.  Jimmy averages a woeful 27.7% of his footy as CP.  Juniors with low percentage CP often fail to get drafted for this reason alone.

Zaharakis averages 25.3% of his footy as CP.  Worse than Jimmy.

It's a damning stat and not the current brand of the MFC.

So remind me again why we bothered with Toumpas

Worth some thought,

If it was still 2012.

• Like 1