MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 17

Demonland

17 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Not bad Sue, not bad..

@sue

To be honest I think  3-4 hours means nothing when they have 2 days to get "tightness" "cold" etc for players. 

I like the fact he tells the truth and backs in his players. 

No shenanigans, no games.  Here is our team, these guys wont come in, we will bring or best, bring yours. 

40 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

@sue

To be honest I think  3-4 hours means nothing when they have 2 days to get "tightness" "cold" etc for players. 

I like the fact he tells the truth and backs in his players. 

No shenanigans, no games.  Here is our team, these guys wont come in, we will bring or best, bring yours. 

Very macho.  While we are at it, why not leave our best players on the bench to show how invincible we are.  I'd prefer to play canny.  

Does he tell the truth, the complete truth and nothing but?  I doubt it.  I don't recall him telling the public that Viney had a foot problem all year but he's so tough that oppo teams should feel free to step on him. 

Sure 3-4 hours doesn't sound much, but it is a good part of a working day when sometimes there is not much more than 24-36 hours before the  game, some of which is presumably spent asleep.  But it's the uncertainty about selection which is my main point, not the 3 hours.  Why effectively tell Adelaide "if you were thinking of bringing in player X because he drives Watts crazy (for example), don't bother".  Keep 'em guessing.

Goodwin has done this a couple of times this season.  I just have to trust that in each situation he knows that the benefit outweighs this.  Just seems odd to me.

dont think it really matters Sue. its not like local footy where the team is selected on Thursday night after training. The boys are gearing up for their specific role in the next game as soon as they have finished their recovery. They know if their playing on Monday or Tuesday unless there is a genuine injury later in the week or if soneone doesn't come up. its only us suckers that are told thursday night. They really should just gollow the NRL lead and name the teams on tuesday because thats when the players know.

5 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Loved "his next goal wins comment "when the next was Lewis's after the siren. Followed up by " ANB shouldnt worry about the clock... just needs to kick the goal."

Highlights how little understanding of the game BT he was a see football kick football sort of player

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jako13 said:

dont think it really matters Sue. its not like local footy where the team is selected on Thursday night after training. The boys are gearing up for their specific role in the next game as soon as they have finished their recovery. They know if their playing on Monday or Tuesday unless there is a genuine injury later in the week or if soneone doesn't come up. its only us suckers that are told thursday night. They really should just gollow the NRL lead and name the teams on tuesday because thats when the players know.

I don't doubt our players know. I assume they don't all go on twitter and tell the world they're in. It's what the oppo coach etc know before they select their own team that I'm talking about. Or rather what they don't know.

4 minutes ago, sue said:

I don't doubt our players know. I assume they don't all go on twitter and tell the world they're in. It's what the oppo coach etc know before they select their own team that I'm talking about. Or rather what they don't know.

but the oppo team are in the same boat.... their side was selected monday as well and they have their emergencies and can even change them too under 'injuries' if changes are necessary. its irrelevant when our team is named to their planning

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jako13 said:

but the oppo team are in the same boat.... their side was selected monday as well and they have their emergencies and can even change them too under 'injuries' if changes are necessary. its irrelevant when our team is named to their planning

I think we may be talking at cross purposes or I'm totally confused (which does happen).  I'm not talking about possible emergencies, I'm talking about the full squad.  Saying (truthfully) X will not play before we and the other team have to announce the squads means the oppo selectors knows they don't have to worry about X in making their own selections.  

If they had a shut-down player available and we  told  them in advance that our player he would normally try to shut down was not going to play, then the oppo would know not to select him but put in another attacking player instead.  So why tell them.

Edited by sue

13 minutes ago, sue said:

Goodwin has done this a couple of times this season.  I just have to trust that in each situation he knows that the benefit outweighs this.  Just seems odd to me.

Think you're underestimating how much teams know about opposition players, and to be honest, I'm not sure what difference it makes. Adelaide will take an unchanged side to the NT, or something close to it, regardless of who we select.

How they use those players is something else, but then they know who's in/out by Thursday night in any case.

3 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Who for?

Be careful who you swap as well, as suggesting those that play in different positions doesn't constitute a straight swap.  I like Trenners but I don't see a spot for him in our side.

I agree with Gorgoroth in dropping Kent and adjust the team as required. 

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think or anyone else on here as the coaches obviously pic the team it's just really frustrating in regards to what is happening with Trenners. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 2

Melbourne v Adelaide at TIO Stadium, Darwin at 7.10pm ACST

MELBOURNE
In: J.Kennedy-Harris
Out: B.Stretch

ADELAIDE
In: T.Lynch, H.Greenwood
Out: S.Thompson, W.Milera (calf)

Was looking forward to not having to deal with Lynch on top of Jenkins and Walker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Was looking forward to not having to deal with Lynch on top of Jenkins and Walker.

No luck. But on the bright side, we blanketed all three pretty well last time we played.

9 minutes ago, Luther said:

Melbourne v Adelaide at TIO Stadium, Darwin at 7.10pm ACST

MELBOURNE
In: J.Kennedy-Harris
Out: B.Stretch

ADELAIDE
In: T.Lynch, H.Greenwood
Out: S.Thompson, W.Milera (calf)

Two good ins for the Crows. Thompson did nothing last week in his first game this year

5 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

JKH's last chance. If he can't handle the heat (and by that I mean the heat of playing in the midfield and not Darwin) then see ya later.

Just signed a new contract. I'm sure it's not his last chance. 

• Like 8

I've prised my mind open as far as it can go without psychedelics and I'm now looking forward to seeing what JKH can bring to the team after his vocational stint at Casey. Best of luck little mate - go rip it up.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

would have preferred Stretch .... offers so much more upside than JKH

No VFL game is another problem for Stretch if he wants to get back in

Goodwin is consistent at least if you don't perform you are out and vice versa. The conditions might suit JKH better as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Two good ins for the Crows. Thompson did nothing last week in his first game this year

There was a rumour that Goodwin had asked him to come play a year and then coach in the 2016 'Rockliff is coming to Melb' trade period on DL. We dodged a bullet if that's true. Of course, we got hit by a bazooka when we traded him initially :/

Edited by DominatrixTyson
  • Like 1