• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tommy Bugg on report

Gipsy Danger

4 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Bugg is the instigator every single week, poor Bugg can give it but can't take it?

And calling the punch unlucky, or he didn't mean it, please. He's left handed, and trains boxing all preseason and most weeks. If he wanted to hit the chest he'd hit the chest. 

The witch hunt is unfortunate, but it's deserved. After weeks of the AFL cracking down on any punches, then Houli, and Barry Hall and Staker on tv the very week, Bugg drops a bloke with a left cross. Incredibly stupid, ill timed, violent and deserves all the punishment and vocal outrage he cops. 

For the record I'm not a Bugg hater, I like the way he goes about it to get the most out of his limited abilities. I just didn't like this. 

And for those claiming double standards comparing this to the Hogan, Vince incidents etc... fringe players don't get the luxury of making such big mistakes. It's just the way it is and always will be. 

Forget about the outside noise Deestroy All ( i.e witch hunt deserved......how does that work?) and judge the case on it's merits. When you use phrases such as 'vocal outrage' it tells me that social media, which of course is permanently outraged, has sucked you right in. He punched a bloke in the head and it was stupid. That is it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

Anything over 5 reduced to 4 and the club must appeal.

Reality: when do we appeal ?

I honestly can't remember

Just now, beelzebub said:

Reality: when do we appeal ?

I honestly can't remember

As soon as the AFL reems the club over this. I do think we are headed for a penalty that is out of kilter in respect to the act.

Last time i got in a ring, i used both hands, but not in a running position and to me it seemed a strange place to connect.....

3 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

As soon as the AFL reems the club over this. I do think we are headed for a penalty that is out of kilter in respect to the act.

I also fully expect it to be 'overs'

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I really like Bugg.

Silly act obviously, which he no doubt regrets - but he plays on the edge and he represents the new era for this club.

He's hard at it and he's always present and willing to step up for his team-mates.

In fact, I love the bloke.

Ron, I'd love him more if he was available for selection in the next 5-6 weeks.

A big hit far from the ball when your rep as a bad boy is at it's peak and cameras are everywhere. What the f*** did he possibly think that might have achieved? That's not playing on the edge, it's well over the drop off into stupidity.

Amongst the top 5 dumbest things I've seen live at the footy, and that's saying something

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Just reading Social Media tells me that people HATE the idea of the MFC improving

We have been a convenience for too long...

i like being hated. Goodwin must win this, but it aint going to be easy. The AFL family are going to chuck everything at us...

it's only just started

I get the feeling that Goodwin is well and truly up for the fight.  @Ron Burgundy spoke about loving Buggy, but I think I'm well and truly starting to love Goody more.

• Like 3

On 01/07/2017 at 0:02 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

Rod Grinter did that every week. 

Times have sure changed. 

Bugg will do his time and earn his spot back in the side

Yes but Grinter was a far better footballer

• Like 1

Further to my other recent comment on this issue, though I haven't heard him speak on this issue yet, I get the impression that Goody is not impressed at all with Bugg at the moment.  From the JJ incident to this one, Tommy must be wearing pretty thin in Goody's book.

Again I haven't got a lot of direct recallection to go by (because I never took much interest in Adelaide at the time), I get the impression that Goody was a relentless, tough and hard but fair type of player and that he is trying to mold the MFC in this manner, which cool with me.  Certainly don't want us to be thought of as bruise free footballers, but not keen on us being thought of as a team thugs either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

At the start of the game Mills ( dlckhead that he is ) runs to Bugg and lays an elbow style whack into Bugg. Bugg retaliates.  It's often just called argy bargy but in this instance Bugg unluckily lands a pearler on Mills..More fool Mills.

Again for mine..got exactly what he deserved. So probably will Bugg...actually he won;t, he'll get scapegoated and handed something ridiculous

Victim blaming.

Arguing Mills "deserved" to be punched in the head and concussed epitomises the precise cultural problem invading the sport.

I don't care what Mills did. I'd like to think our players are capable of taking some heat. We love it when Bugg is an instigator of a bit of back-and-forth, why can't he cop it when someone gives it to him, and why does he think it's appropriate to respond with a punch to the head?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Victim blaming.

Arguing Mills "deserved" to be punched in the head and concussed epitomises the precise cultural problem invading the sport.

I don't care what Mills did. I'd like to think our players are capable of taking some heat. We love it when Bugg is an instigator of a bit of back-and-forth, why can't he cop it when someone gives it to him, and why does he think it's appropriate to respond with a punch to the head?

Lol . I think you need to come down off that high horse before you di yourself a mischief.

Its argy bargy. Players instigate the niggle and sometimes they come unstuck. Here, both did. Thats all.

Its a highly spirited combative sport. Its physical. 

Mills did deserve a retort. A smack in the head was obviously too much. Buts that's it....too much.

You cross that line ( white one) no backward steps accepted.

Im not blaming Mills per se. Obviously Bugg is to blame for his action. Mills can wear his too.

its been said already, and not all agree and thats fine 

But Bugg was retaliating, and way way too crudely and carelessly, and he should not have done that, and he was stupid. He will take his 5 weeks (because we are Melbourne it will be 6) and come back next year.

He is NO Barry Hall,  He is NO Carl Deitrich, He is NO Leigh Mathews. He is NOT a thug 

But he is a little bit aggro.  And he will receive a premiership medallion with us 

And I love it 

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 5

I only hope the hanging crowd dont get their day.

4-3 seems fair to me.

Go Dees

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

Trial by media and disappointing that a number of Demonlanders have been sucked in and are joining in the chorus. Take a step back ffs.

The media has conveniently pitched this as good versus evil re Houli and Bugg. Houli is a great bloke and Bugg is a [censored] ant. The only trouble with this is that Houli knocked someone out cold before he hit the deck. Bugg did not knock his opponent out, as mindless as his action was. And given that it's all about the medical report, Bugg really shouldn't get more than Houli. Or have the rules conveniently changed again to satisfy whipped up media blood lust?

And for those saying 6+, you've got to be kidding. So it was as bad as Hall's hit on Staker? Not by a country mile.

What Houli did was just as bad and he deserved his 4 weeks. Don't care what a good bloke he is or who his god his. 

I didn't defend him and I won't defend Bugg. As I said, if say Mills did this to Oliver, we'd call him a dog and want him given 6 to life. So let's not pretend it's less of a [censored] thing to do if you're wearing a Melbourne jumper. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

What Houli did was just as bad and he deserved his 4 weeks. Don't care what a good bloke he is or who his god his. 

I didn't defend him and I won't defend Bugg. As I said, if say Mills did this to Oliver, we'd call him a dog and want him given 6 to life. So let's not pretend it's less of a [censored] thing to do if you're wearing a Melbourne jumper. 

Hey Jaded, if someone hit Oliver he would get off!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Lol . I think you need to come down off that high horse before you di yourself a mischief.

Its argy bargy. Players instigate the niggle and sometimes they come unstuck. Here, both did. Thats all.

Its a highly spirited combative sport. Its physical. 

Mills did deserve a retort. A smack in the head was obviously too much. Buts that's it....too much.

You cross that line ( white one) no backward steps accepted.

Im not blaming Mills per se. Obviously Bugg is to blame for his action. Mills can wear his too.

I'm on a "high horse" because I'd rather not see players punching each other in the head off the ball?

Lol indeed.

It's one thing to say there is "argy bargy" and back-and-forth. There always will be in a contact sport like ours. But that does not mean Mills "deserved" to be punched anywhere, let alone in the head. 

Talk of crossing white lines and no backwards steps is fine when it comes to courageous acts relating to the game. It does not apply to punching people in the head because you're being "niggled" by your opponent.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Jaded, if Mills did the same thing, hand on heart, I would find six weeks ridiculous.

Well, for a real 'dog act' have a look at the video in this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fremantle-forward-hayden-ballantyne-shoved-while-injured-by-st-kilda-defender-jake-carlisle/news-story/ee3a91876738de28afc38a66eb6bbe23

Carlisle attacks Ballantyne while he is on the ground injured.

Just hope the media go after Carlisle in the same way they have Bugg.  Both are bad and Bugg deserves his penalty. 

But going after a defenceless injured play is right up there in the 'dog act' stakes.  Now lets see if the media goes to town on Carlisle.  He hardly is a model of good behaviour so deserves a media whack or two.  Somehow I doubt it as the media seem to maniacally obsessed with lynching Bugg.

• Like 3

I'm not sure I'd agree with some views here.

I'm pretty sure some won't agree with mine.

It's times like these i feel privileged to 1) be among fellow Melbournians who are 2) diverse and intelligently ( in the main ) diverse in thought.

We'd probably all agree Bugg wasva mug...the rest...?

Ah well.. Go Dees

Let the party continue

• Like 1

Little bit disappointed by a lot of the comments on the thread.  I haven't visited the topic since it was discussed the night of and the following morning.  I felt the sentiments then were pretty spot on.  Since then, the narrative seems to be shifting to downplay the incident and even excuse Bugg's strike.

It was as blatant a punch as you can possibly get on a football field, or anywhere else for that matter.  In my opinion, it bears no comparison to Houli's and is much closer to Barry Hall's strike against Staker.  Bugg's sentiments after the match were spot on - he was in the wrong and he should cop his punishment.  

While I'm not advocating him being delisted or banned for the rest of the year, he will and should receive a significant ban for such a dangerous, stupid action.  And it goes without saying he will be pilloried in the press and social media for an action such as this, and so he should be - in the real world he would have been arrested for it.  How many times do we need to be told about the consequences of 'one punch'?  Strong messages regarding this behaviour in society and on the football field should continue being reinforced.

Tackle, bump, crash packs and put your head over the ball - that's tough.

• Like 2