The 2017 Membership Thread

Dee Dee

3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes i have heard that. No idea what happened. I have only ever seen "Newsreel" footage of '64. Which was shown in Cinemas. 

'58 i saw on 16mm Colour when at school

Interestingly there is decent footage of a few of our finals/grand finals shown on "The Red & The Blue" history of the MFC doco. What I gather from that is "they" have a decent amount of footage never released but not whole games so can't release on DVD.

Edit - incl 1964 GF from memory

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Interestingly there is decent footage of a few of our finals/grand finals shown on "The Red & The Blue" history of the MFC doco. What I gather from that is "they" have a decent amount of footage never released but not whole games so can't release on DVD.

Edit - incl 1964 GF from memory

Could well be. I do know that '65 was the 1st year that HSV fully committed to covering games. Before that Ch 9 did some VFL as did the ABC, but they certainly did't do full quarters with commentary. That was still radio. 

12 hours ago, daisycutter said:

a nice little bump up.....41k in sight

If we had won a few of those early close games, we would be talking about 45,000 now!

Do we have a "special" category of membership for the people of Alice Springs and Darwin? It seems to me we should have a one-game membership option for residents of these two places which gets you into the game and provides other standard perks (although I doubt the people from Darwin would want a scarf - perhaps their membership could come with a cap instead). If we did, we could sign people up as they enter the ground and that would give us a nice little bump in numbers over the weekend. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Do we have a "special" category of membership for the people of Alice Springs and Darwin? It seems to me we should have a one-game membership option for residents of these two places which gets you into the game and provides other standard perks (although I doubt the people from Darwin would want a scarf - perhaps their membership could come with a cap instead). If we did, we could sign people up as they enter the ground and that would give us a nice little bump in numbers over the weekend. 

So here's an idea, give away 'a few' weekend in Melbourne prizes to interstate Members each year?  

Free flights, accoodation and premium tickets to Queens Birthday clash.  Not talking out of any vested interest or anything.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I went to the Alice game two years ago and I was waiting for the flight home with a cheer squad member. I'm pretty sure she told me that the club had arranged to bring a large group of indigenous supporters to the game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

So here's an idea, give away 'a few' weekend in Melbourne prizes to interstate Members each year?  

Free flights, accoodation and premium tickets to Queens Birthday clash.  Not talking out of any vested interest or anything.

Ya not fishing ? :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, deebug said:

Their was a fire i think at Ch7 and ours of course were the ones that got fried.:mad:

That "fire" is disputed by others who say that they either ended up at the tip (as too much storage was required) or just dubbed over as the film was too expensive.

• Like 1

Saw this today:

Average attendance of every side’s home and away matches in 2017

Team Games Average attendance
Essendon 10 53991
Richmond 10 50621
Collingwood 10 49923
Carlton 10 44006
Melbourne 10 39510
Hawthorn 10 37709
Western Bulldogs 10 37692
Geelong 10 36399
West Coast 10 36089
Adelaide 10 36051
Fremantle 10 34120
Sydney 10 33005
St Kilda 10 30684
Port Adelaide 9 29391
North Melbourne 10 25091
Brisbane 10 20741
GWS 10 19908
Gold Coast 9 13041

Source: AFL tables

Great result if correct.

• Like 13

33 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

Saw this today:

Average attendance of every side’s home and away matches in 2017

Team Games Average attendance
Essendon 10 53991
Richmond 10 50621
Collingwood 10 49923
Carlton 10 44006
Melbourne 10 39510
Hawthorn 10 37709
Western Bulldogs 10 37692
Geelong 10 36399
West Coast 10 36089
Adelaide 10 36051
Fremantle 10 34120
Sydney 10 33005
St Kilda 10 30684
Port Adelaide 9 29391
North Melbourne 10 25091
Brisbane 10 20741
GWS 10 19908
Gold Coast 9 13041

Source: AFL tables

Great result if correct.

Which includes Alice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Which includes Alice. 

Wow yeah if that includes Alice that's a really good effort. 

Hopefully channel Seven start to notice a bit more of us and put us on FTA more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pates said:

Wow yeah if that includes Alice that's a really good effort. 

Hopefully channel Seven start to notice a bit more of us and put us on FTA more. 

Don't bet on it Pates.  A few years ago the AFL declared 'win games and you get FTA broadcasts and the Prime time slots'. 

BUT:

The FTA schedule for those teams in 2017 for 10 rounds have been:

• Collingwood, 7 telecasts with 4 in Prime Time
  • Richmond, 5 telecasts with 4 in Prime Time
  • Carlton, 5 telecasts with 2 in Prime Time  
  • Essendon, 7 telecasts with 6 in Prime Time (Nice reward for the drug cheats - Finish last, get the # 1 pick, get all their players back and clean up on the FTA time slots.  Sickening, really).

Last year their ladder positions were: Collingwood,12th, Richmond, 13th. Carlton 14th, Essendon 18th.  So I call BS on the AFL comment that 'win games and get FTA and prime slots'.  (Note: The AFL have delivered to the Bulldogs but they had to win a Premiership).

They all have a heap more FTA prime time slots in the second half but I can't be bothered counting them - you get the picture!

The big club dominance of the FTA schedule has happened by stealth with the AFL fully complicit!  The big clubs get prime FTA time slots early in the season so it helps them build memberships...top of mind stuff.  And its really important clubs get their members signed up early in the season.  Of course it sets those clubs up for the FTA schedule the following year regardless of how many games they win.  Cycle repeats.

FTA is all based on Membership numbers (except Carlton - not sure what the deal is there).

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

Yes, those numbers say a "hell of a lot" for for the AFL's complicity in rescuing a club that shouldn't even be a participant, and let's hope a "lot of hell" for it's supporters!!!

51 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Sadly I do agree, I remember that line being trotted out by the AFL of "win games". I get that point, I mean at that time we weren't winning games and were an embarrassment to watch. But as you have pointed out, despite a better ladder position than Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, and Essendon we still aren't given better time slots. 

If we make finals this year, our club should press really hard for better FTA exposure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Don't bet on it Pates.  A few years ago the AFL declared 'win games and you get FTA broadcasts and the Prime time slots'. 

BUT:

The FTA schedule for those teams in 2017 for 10 rounds have been:

• Collingwood, 7 telecasts with 4 in Prime Time
  • Richmond, 5 telecasts with 4 in Prime Time
  • Carlton, 5 telecasts with 2 in Prime Time  
  • Essendon, 7 telecasts with 6 in Prime Time (Nice reward for the drug cheats - Finish last, get the # 1 pick, get all their players back and clean up on the FTA time slots.  Sickening, really).

Last year their ladder positions were: Collingwood,12th, Richmond, 13th. Carlton 14th, Essendon 18th.  So I call BS on the AFL comment that 'win games and get FTA and prime slots'.  (Note: The AFL have delivered to the Bulldogs but they had to win a Premiership).

They all have a heap more FTA prime time slots in the second half but I can't be bothered counting them - you get the picture!

The big club dominance of the FTA schedule has happened by stealth with the AFL fully complicit!  The big clubs get prime FTA time slots early in the season so it helps them build memberships...top of mind stuff.  And its really important clubs get their members signed up early in the season.  Of course it sets those clubs up for the FTA schedule the following year regardless of how many games they win.  Cycle repeats.

FTA is all based on Membership numbers (except Carlton - not sure what the deal is there).

mfp ring a bell, luci

• Like 1

19 hours ago, daisycutter said:

another 15

(another 27)

• Like 2