Sons of the West - weak effort.

I just heard Beveridge on the radio, apologising for his players not turning up to a community show the cup/ congratulate the players type function in Ballarat. Apparently there was a crowd waiting to greet their "heroes"! He said they were "tired". In fact they were (are) still at the boozer.

Rather explodes the myth of recognising the value and efforts of long suffering supporters doesn't it. Doesn't do a lot for the notion of the united underdogs from the west either , does it?

The continued existence of that club came, to a large extent, from tin rattling and ground level support. It seems to me that the players have [censored] on this.

As I have said in other places on this board the only loyal suckers at a footy club are the fans. It's time some of the prima donnas were reminded who contributes to their paycheck.

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I just heard Beveridge on the radio, apologising for his players not turning up to a community show the cup/ congratulate the players type function in Ballarat. Apparently there was a crowd waiting to greet their "heroes"! He said they were "tired". In fact they were (are) still at the boozer.

Rather explodes the myth of recognising the value and efforts of long suffering supporters doesn't it. Doesn't do a lot for the notion of the united underdogs from the west either , does it?

The continued existence of that club came, to a large extent, from tin rattling and ground level support. It seems to me that the players have [censored] on this.

As I have said in other places on this board the only loyal suckers at a footy club are the fans. It's time some of the prima donnas were reminded who contributes to their paycheck.

At the very least they could have provided body doubles I.e. there are many six year old boys who would have jumped at the opportunity to be Caleb Daniels.

• Like 2

BBO, Peter Gordon was on radio this am spruiking the Ballarat relationship and how amazing it going to be with the Dogs playing a home game in Ballarat next year, he was really excited about the Doggies getting to Ballarat to show the faithful the cup.. Nice job by the players to get behind it.

Up there with Essendon's efforts in going to Wangaratta for a pre-season match.

You always see Hawthorn travel to Launceston after their flags but apparently the Dogs players couldn't do their mad monday on a Tuesday.

Very poor effort and takes a bit of the gloss off for mine.

• Like 6

It was too cold for the western suburbs boys today in Ballaraty. This would not have happened under Clarkson. For a while I was going to suggest that we chase Beveridge to coach us back to glory, well, he is a long lost Northey trooper but after this DISGRACEFUL EFFORT I think we're better sticking with the reffos from Essendon.

Anyway, no self respecting humanoid should ever go near Ballaratty anyway and now that the by-pass is active there's no need whatsoever.

All of this is Teddy Written in jest, and reminds me that the great man himself once delivered a Budgie to my house in Albion after I'd correctly guessed the correct landing time of a flight from Sydney. That Budgie is the last thing I've ever won.

9 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Really poor by the players. Disrespectful and selfish. Unfortunately the boozing culture within footy is as strong as ever.

Yes epic fail on this one, and after ticking every other box, hard to fathom. 

First flag for 62 years.

I reckon anyone in Ballarat who expected all of them to show was delusional.

A bunch of young thickheads with a shiny new cup to drink from. Was always going to happen.

Epic fail from whoever planned it.

• Like 10

Well in all fairness why would they organise it today. But apparently the players will go up to Ballarat soon they said today. But yeah you would have thought to start off building a relationship with them they should have gone up. Guess thats little things they didn't think of. But I'm sure they will be there.

Well what about the swans team. They buggered back off to sydney without even a thankyou to there swans based melbourne fans at lakeside oval. Unless you were lucky to be at there dinner sat night. 

15 minutes ago, faultydet said:

First flag for 62 years.

I reckon anyone in Ballarat who expected all of them to show was delusional.

A bunch of young thickheads with a shiny new cup to drink from. Was always going to happen.

Epic fail from whoever planned it.

Agreed faulty, epic planning fail - no doubt.

However, once a commitment is made it must be honoured , and it is the responsibility of the coach and admin to see that it is honoured.

What do you tell the kid who waited to see his/her heroes? "Err .. sorry kid but your hero is currently getting [censored] and can't be bothered with a little pissant like you"

I've had many jobs (none of which paid 350k plus I might add) but if my employer wanted me to be somewhere/ sometime then I was there. 

Edited by Bitter but optimistic
  • Like 2

"Weak effort"?

2 time coach of the year, premiership coach.

He's always been happy to let the boys celebrate and it's part of why such an underrated group just won a premiership against incredible odds as a true team.

Yeah, poor they didn't show up, but what an overreaction to call it a "weak effort" from Beveridge, who by the way made the trip himself and fronted the fans who were there. Hardly call that "weak". He was more than entitled to be celebrating still as well.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

"Weak effort"?

He's always been happy to let the boys celebrate and it's part of why such an underrated group just won a premiership against incredible odds as a true team.

Yeah, poor they didn't show up, but what an overreaction to call it a "weak effort" from Beveridge, who by the way made the trip himself and fronted the fans who were there. Hardly call that "weak". He was more than entitled to be celebrating still as well.

So I'm off your ignore list Stu? I'm happy about that.

I'd missed your moralising.

Anyway, I realise Beveridge was there. Two points, however. One, I would consider it at least a part of his responsibility to ensure his troops turned up to scheduled events. He has some culpability. Two. One of the mods changed my original thread title which did not mention Beveridge at all and in which it was clear that my comments were aimed at the players.

• Like 2

The good people of Ballarat deserve more.

Both of them!

• Like 4

Pity really as they had done just about everything else right this year and finals in particular.  Peter Gordon did look a bit uncomfortable trying to explain it.  A huge PR opportunity missed.  

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

"Weak effort"?

It was a weak effort from the players. Not from Beveridge though.

• Like 3

Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

It was a weak effort from the players. Not from Beveridge though.

Should have been there sure, but geez circumstances... Sounds a lot like the players didn't know much about it given how the council changed things a couple of times. I'm sure they'll more than make up for it. Bit of a silly knee jerk thread.