Matthew Egan

dazzledavey36

3 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Bit of self aggrandizement there Dazzle, who actually says we were looking at Brendan Sanderson? Would love to get Egan, but with Stinear on board. is there a spot, McCartney seems pencilled in for a bigger role on match day now with Roos gone

Nothing wrong with admiring my own fine work Satynator.

49 minutes ago, Dante said:

If you want to revise history for your own benefit then go right ahead, they were part of a culture of softness that permeated the club.

Both were talented footballers but go back and watch some of the games that they played in.

Revise history? What in my post was incorrect?

Neither were perfect. Both were 200+ gamers. Both were BnF winners. Yze was All-Australian. Both were terrific servants of the club. 

Annoys me that people taint the team of the late 90's early 2000's as being soft and no good. We had some terrific footballers who despite coping with clearly the worst facilities in the AFL made it to a couple of prelims and a grand final. As I said before, we would kill for those kind of on-field achievements at the moment.

You'd think that the last decade of complete and utter humiliation would have made us appreciate the team of that era even more. Instead it seems to have done the opposite and many here seem to denigrate them at any chance they can get. It's bizarre.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Oh no your secret is out!!!.....you are really Jay Clark....so do you think there is a spot for Egan, would be a great pick up

I think there is, as he is highly rated at Essendon for his development role.

Stinear i would have thought been on a full time role with the womans team?

Stinear is a replacement for Michelle Cowan. 

Still leaves the coaching spot Goodwin vacated available.  Egan would fill that spot, but not necessarily as Senior Assistant Coach.

If we have another Senior Assistant Coach that role would probably go to Macca (promotion).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Members' Wing said:

Revise history? What in my post was incorrect?

Neither were perfect. Both were 200+ gamers. Both were BnF winners. Yze was All-Australian. Both were terrific servants of the club. 

Annoys me that people taint the team of the late 90's early 2000's as being soft and no good. We had some terrific footballers who despite coping with clearly the worst facilities in the AFL made it to a couple of prelims and a grand final. As I said before, we would kill for those kind of on-field achievements at the moment.

You'd think that the last decade of complete and utter humiliation would have made us appreciate the team of that era even more. Instead it seems to have done the opposite and many here seem to denigrate them at any chance they can get. It's bizarre.

Neither perfect?

I'd suggest that you look back at a few old Melbourne games and take note of Cam Bruce's kicking, count the number of helicopter punts and misdirected passes.

Take note of the number of hospital handpasses he sent to teammates who were under pressure, putting them under even more pressure.

Yze was talented but was lazy and soft, once again look back at some of his games.

They were supposed to be leaders at the club but I cannot recall one game where either of them actually pulled the club over the line. Bruce's usual effort after another embarrassing capitulation, where we were over run to the tune of 10 or more goals, was "we didn't turn up to play".

We were never a threat to win a flag in the time that we were in the final series, 1988 and 2000 the two years we played finals we were smashed and the supposed leaders just stood back and watched. We had some talented footballers but not enough willing to lead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dante said:

Neither perfect?

I'd suggest that you look back at a few old Melbourne games and take note of Cam Bruce's kicking, count the number of helicopter punts and misdirected passes.

Take note of the number of hospital handpasses he sent to teammates who were under pressure, putting them under even more pressure.

Yze was talented but was lazy and soft, once again look back at some of his games.

They were supposed to be leaders at the club but I cannot recall one game where either of them actually pulled the club over the line. Bruce's usual effort after another embarrassing capitulation, where we were over run to the tune of 10 or more goals, was "we didn't turn up to play".

We were never a threat to win a flag in the time that we were in the final series, 1988 and 2000 the two years we played finals we were smashed and the supposed leaders just stood back and watched. We had some talented footballers but not enough willing to lead.

Yze was 23, Bruce was in his first year. No surprise that the young players in that team didn't learn from sub optimal leaders. That doesn't mean they haven't learnt now as coaches.

Yze led the league in kicks one year, he wasn't all that lazy! Bruce could tag and beat the games best, play half back or half forward. Let's not rubbish them too much.

I like Egan. The guy was going to be a superstar before injury. 

Maybe it's nothing but I feel that's a recipe for a coach determined to get redemption. Neale Daniher worked out pretty well for us with a similar story.

To get Essendon VFL in to and leading the 2nd week of finals given 10 of their best players were suspended and replaced by top ups and the list had little depth was a great effort. 

I'd give Egan the backline and shuffle Rawlings to the forwards or give Egan the forwards. New voices for our forwards and backs would be nice I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

From the club website, Michael being Stinear

“At the conclusion of the National Women’s Competition, Michael will transfer across into a development role with the men’s team.”

Agree that Goodwins' spot is nominally available, but is another coach required?

Clearly it is, as the HUN ran an article saying that we are right into him.

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Stinear is a replacement for Michelle Cowan. 

Still leaves the coaching spot Goodwin vacated available.  Egan would fill that spot, but not necessarily as Senior Assistant Coach.

If we have another Senior Assistant Coach that role would probably go to Macca (promotion).

No he is Development Head.

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Now what was it the 'Mach' said before about...I remember now.

I get the feeling young Laverne 'Daz' has a pretty good relationship with himself.

lol...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Bit of self aggrandizement there Dazzle, who actually says we were looking at Brendan Sanderson? Would love to get Egan, but with Stinear on board. is there a spot, McCartney seems pencilled in for a bigger role on match day now with Roos gone

Of course there'll be room for Egan. Stinear is there in a development capacity, not as a line coach.

On 16/09/2016 at 0:19 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Whorethorn have won 3 Flags in a row. 

Our Old Boys must be doing a few things right. 

In a different environment & culture, lets not start a new Ol' boys club.  They played here & amateurishly. That's enough, not here for their retirement funds as well.

On 16/09/2016 at 5:08 PM, Members' Wing said:

Another silly post. Those two, while far from perfect, were best & fairest winners, 200 gamers, terrific servants of the club and played big parts in getting us deep into September a number of times.  Something we'd absolutely kill for at the moment.

What I'd give for an Yze in our current side.

They epitomized our soft front runner culture, which they learnt from our club when young, but weren't leaders enough to go against this culture, to turn it around, & change it.

They are not Nathan Jones's bootlace.

22 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Yze was 23, Bruce was in his first year. No surprise that the young players in that team didn't learn from sub optimal leaders. That doesn't mean they haven't learnt now as coaches.

Yze led the league in kicks one year, he wasn't all that lazy! Bruce could tag and beat the games best, play half back or half forward. Let's not rubbish them too much.

No, your right that they had talents.

But when the going got tough, they got going, the other way.  Talk about Morton.  Those boys learnt their stuff with us, from ours.  Our culture was woeful.  soft, talented but soft lazy & for the individual to show off.  All good Hollywood stuff.

4 minutes ago, DV8 said:

No, your right that they had talents.

But when the going got tough, they got going, the other way.  Talk about Morton.  Those boys learnt their stuff with us, from ours.  Our culture was woeful.  soft, talented but soft lazy & for the individual to show off.  All good Hollywood stuff.

And you don't think years spent under Clarkson and a team that achieved 3 in a row can erase some "soft" perceved traits?

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

Of course there'll be room for Egan. Stinear is there in a development capacity, not as a line coach.

If we get in Egan, Stinnear doesn't need to necessarily have a role within the Melbourne Demmon's structure. With two teams at Casey, I am sure Plapp would welcome a top line coach to assist him.

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

And you don't think years spent under Clarkson and a team that achieved 3 in a row can erase some "soft" perceved traits?

It could, but also it could reverse back to old ways ingrained, without Clarko at the helm.  The key denominator is Clarko himself, & the Hawthorn club itself. Its culture from its old players, to its supporter base, to keep things on the rails.

Nope, we are better without any old boys who have failed at the Mfc in the past.  Keep them away for changes sake.  And our long term cultures sake. 

We need change of influences,  away from the old club (recent), & from the Mcc.  This is where soft envelops the Mfc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DV8 said:

It could, but also it could reverse back to old ways ingrained, without Clarko at the helm.  The key denominator is Clarko himself, & the Hawthorn club itself. Its culture from its old players, to its supporter base, to keep things on the rails.

Nope, we are better without any old boys who have failed at the Mfc in the past.  Keep them away for changes sake.  And our long term cultures sake. 

We need change of influences,  away from the old club (recent), & from the Mcc.  This is where soft envelops the Mfc.

We need to target the best people. 

If they are old demons who have spent years with Clarko then so be it.