FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

11 hours ago, DominatrixTyson said:

We gave up #25 and a 4 year 400k deal,

4 years for an inconsistent player in Melksham is a big leap of faith.

I feel like an idiot bagging Collingwood supporters for offering Mayne a 4 year contract, only to then realise we actually also offered Melksham the same length contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeck wartz said:

What the hell, do the Hawkes or Cats even have a salary cap?

Someone from Geelong (I didn't hear his name) was basically admitting that fitting all their players into the salary cap will be a big challenge on SEN this morning.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Someone from Geelong (I didn't hear his name) was basically admitting that fitting all their players into the salary cap will be a big challenge.

Wells said that cap space, not picks would be the big issue with bringing in Tuohy and Deledio.

9 minutes ago, Dante said:

Gibbs has put in some really poor seasons and now he's finally come good they want to trade him, bit like us trading Jack.

he has walked out on them.  blues wanna keep him

A-hole move on his part

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dante said:

Gibbs has put in some really poor seasons and now he's finally come good they want to trade him, bit like us trading Jack.

More so that Gibbs has put in some rubbish seasons and now that he's good, wants to leave. That would hurt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luther said:

More so that Gibbs has put in some rubbish seasons and now that he's good, wants to leave. That would hurt.

Yep. Imagine how we would feel if Wattsy announced now he wanted to leave. We would be furious. But he is nothing if not loyal and he if he plays out the rest of his career at the dees at or near the level he played this year he may end up being a great of the club. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Someone from Geelong (I didn't hear his name) was basically admitting that fitting all their players into the salary cap will be a big challenge on SEN this morning.

On that point, shouldn't Geelong be subject to a COLD...cost of living discount?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

Wells said that cap space, not picks would be the big issue with bringing in Tuohy and Deledio.

I'd like to free up a bit of their cap space by taking Vardy off their hands, in exchange for a late pick that they won't use .....................  (pipedream!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

wells also gives them what they need - speed and skill - but he'll be 32 at the start of the next season.

Interesting comparison on this deal is that he'll be the same age at the end as Buddy Franklin will be on his Swans deal. But Franklins been incredibly durable Wells not. 

1 hour ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I think that's where we come in with a trade for Lewis....

Lewis made his debut in 2005. Maybe we would take him as a free agent but why on earth would we want to cough up anything for a 30y.o on the downside?

Only as a Cross type situation surely?

• Like 4

Shiels is one being talked about as a potential trade to get in O'meara, surely he's a better bet than O'meara who may retire without playing another game?

1 minute ago, Abe said:

Shiels is one being talked about as a potential trade to get in O'meara, surely he's a better bet than O'meara who may retire without playing another game?

Probably a bit of an overreach there Abe... He's been pretty thoroughly checked out by the Hawk's doctor.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Probably a bit of an overreach there Abe... He's been pretty thoroughly checked out by the Hawk's doctor.

I disagree, anyone who hasn't played in two years is a huge risk

1 minute ago, Abe said:

I disagree, anyone who hasn't played in two years is a huge risk

Didn't say there wasn't any risk, but think it's going a bit far to suggest the doctor of the most successful club in the country wouldn't be able to tell if a player was going to be able to play again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Didn't say there wasn't any risk, but think it's going a bit far to suggest the doctor of the most successful club in the country wouldn't be able to tell if a player was going to be able to play again.

I didn't suggest that he wouldn't be able to tell, but given i work in the fitness industry i can say with absolute confidence that a serious injury like that, keeps you out of the game for two years will have some serious unknown factor about it, so the risk is significant, how will he respond to week to week footy ect and my point was that Shiels is a very good player with no serious injury history, and while O'meara fully fit may be better, i wouldn't be doing that particular trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Abe said:

I didn't suggest that he wouldn't be able to tell, but given i work in the fitness industry i can say with absolute confidence that a serious injury like that, keeps you out of the game for two years will have some serious unknown factor about it, so the risk is significant, how will he respond to week to week footy ect and my point was that Shiels is a very good player with no serious injury history, and while O'meara fully fit may be better, i wouldn't be doing that particular trade.

If you wouldnt do it then thats what we want. We need hawthorn to have some mistakes and backfires on the trade table then finally we might get a change in the current balance of power

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Abe said:

Have you examined O'Meara? Have you seen his medical file? As someone who works in the fitness industry surely you'd know every situation is different, and you would know how credentialed and experienced a senior doctor for an AFL club would be.

As far as the "out for 2 years" thing goes, he did actually come back this year but when he experienced soreness they took a conservative approach in order to get him right for 2017. He was looking sensational before that too. 

I would back in the Hawthorn doctor on this one and say that given he was confident enough to tell the Hawks to go for it then there's a pretty decent chance he can get right and play some good footy.

Of course, I'm not sure what you would have said if we had traded Gawn for say Maric back in the day... ;)

Edited by stuie

Did anyone hear Plough's list analysis on us last night?

To sum it up, he said it is the best list out of teams outside the 8. Thinks we have a good chance of finals next year and should definitely play finals in 2018.

Said the group still lacks maturity. We are addressing our need with Hibberd. Lack of maturity got exposed in the last 2 weeks. Still need someone with class and elite kicking skills.

At the end, Damian Barrett said he believed that Melbourne could still throw another curve ball in this trade period. 

Thoughts?