• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Best 22 for Round 1, 2017

my 'bigs' best 22:

B: Jetta - T. McDonald - Frost
HB: Hunt - O. McDonald - Hibberd
C: Tyson - Jones - Vince
HF: Petracca - Watts - Kent
F: Weideman - Hogan - Garlett
Foll: Gawn - Lewis - Viney
I/C: Salem - Brayshaw - Oliver - Pedersen
Emerg: Melksham - Stretch - vandenBerg

my 'smalls' best 22:

B: Jetta - T. McDonald - Hibberd
HB: Hunt - O. McDonald - Vince
C: Tyson - Jones - Salem
HF: Petracca - Hogan - Kent
F: Watts - Weideman - Garlett
I/C: Brayshaw - Oliver - Stretch - Frost
Emerg: Melksham - vandenBerg - Harmes

for round 1 i presume we'll go smaller, but i guess it'll come down to form etc. 

• Like 3

Obviously there will be changes due to preseason form and fitness, but at this stage I would be looking at:

Jones O McDonald Hibberd

Hunt Frost Lewis

T McDonald Vince Salem

Kent Hogan Vandenberg

Petracca Watts Garlett

Gawn Oliver Viney

Stretch Brayshaw Jetta Bugg

Notes

Vince has played his best football for us as an inside midfielder tagging high calibre opponents. While he can play other roles, I think he is one of our best players when played in this role and there are a lot of gun midfielders in the competition who need a minder.

Oliver is our best centre square clearance player and thus should start in the midfield.

Lewis should be played in a similar role to Matthew Boyd at the Dogs IMO, who plays as their highest defender up the ground. I feel our midfield will become too slow with him in there.

T McDonald plays on Riewoldt.

Tyson is best 22 but I am not sure about him for Round 1 as he will be coming off a limited preseason for a fast game at Etihad.

I like Vandenberg as the third tall forward as he provides better tackling pressure than Pederson or Weideman. Smith is a chance for this role also.

I am not a big fan of Oscar McDonald and he needs to lift his intensity in the contest. But the Saints have a big forward line.

The only locks in my 22 are Jones, Vince, Lewis, Gawn, Viney, T McDonald, Hunt, Watts, Hibberd and Hogan.

Edited by Fat Tony
Vince named twice instead of Viney
  • Like 1

Jetta.  Tmac.   Frost

vince.  Omac.  Hibbard 

hunt.    Tyson.   Stretch 

petracca hogan. Kent 

watts.   Weideman. Garlett 

gawn.  Viney.  Jones 

Lewis. Brayshaw.salem Oliver 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Who plays on the following?

Riewoldt

Membrey

Bruce

McCartin.

A big and potentially damaging forward line to match up on.

Is Membrey their ruck/fwd?

Will Roo start on a wing?

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Who plays on the following?

Riewoldt

Membrey

Bruce

McCartin.

A big and potentially damaging forward line to match up on.

As BA alluded to above, Roo will most likely be on the wing so its not really a defender issue I suspect he wont be tagged to start but if he does get out of hand I would send Vince onto the wing with him.

As for the rest, I think our zone will have improved since the last time we played them so we should do better. And as we know they pressue will have to come from the mids/forwards or the defenders will be left in the cold. The lineup at a centre bounce is tough, McCartin is their most talented forward but at his age he may not be the most dangerous... Id probably start by having TMac - Membrey, OMac - McCartin, Frost - Bruce. Reality is you could just about put their names in a hat and have the defenders pull them at random. St Kildas biggest advantage is they take turns being the number 1 man. Maybe ask again after the pre-season comp after we see who is in form for them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, jackaub said:

Who comes in for Kent if he doesnt make it

Maybe play Oli at half forward

Probably just another midfield added to the mix but my preference for half forwards at this stage would be Vanders from Harmes, JKH, Ben Ken. I'm keen to see Hannan in full training soon to see if he can make his case but it looks unlikely.

B:   Jetta        T.Mac   Hibberd

HB: Vince       Frost     Hunt

C:   Tyson      Jones    Salem

HF: Petracca  Watts    Kent

FF: Garlett     Hogan   Weideman

R:   Gawn       Viney     Lewis

I:    Melksham Oliver  Brayshaw  Stretch*

E:   O.Mac VB* ANB* Harmes*

* = Struggled with that final spot.

4 hours ago, ignition. said:

Watts at CHF and Hogan at FF for me.

Watts' entry into Hogan (or the F50) is at times superb! I also feel Hogan plays his best footy at FF (like the St.K game).

Maybe at Etihad but at most grounds Hogan is at his best using his endurance to work over players up the ground on the lead and in one on ones in space. I think his best games have been 10+ mark games roaming around the ground. 

• Like 3

A few things have started clearing up the questions I've had over the tall defender and tall forward spots:

1. Gawn today alluded to Frost and Oscar having a battle over a tall defender spot. So I'd be looking at only one of those two.

2. The stat presented in another thread that Oscar Mc averages about three 1v1 contests a game. If that's all our defenders have to deal with I can see why we'd rather get more skill and run in to the side and be willing to lose 1 or so extra 1v1 contest and back us preventing any more than that with the zone.

3. Pedda's body has also impressed me. If there's more run in those legs I think he'll start round one.

The fitness of Kent and Tyson are probably my biggest queries now. Otherwise there looks a reasonably clear best 18 or so with a couple of spots up for grabs. Very keen for some scratch match footy and then the preseason to see if anyone jumps out of the blue.

• Like 4

Did this in five minutes. I'm sure there are numouous players that I've forgotten about 

FB: Jetta OMac Frost

HB: Hibberd TMac Hunt

C: Salem Tyson Lewis

HF: Petracca Hogan Watts

FF: Garlett Pederson/Weideman Kent

R: Gawn Viney Jones

INT: Stretch Oliver Brayshaw Vince

EMG: Harmes AVB Melksham

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

A few things have started clearing up the questions I've had over the tall defender and tall forward spots:

1. Gawn today alluded to Frost and Oscar having a battle over a tall defender spot. So I'd be looking at only one of those two.

2. The stat presented in another thread that Oscar Mc averages about three 1v1 contests a game. If that's all our defenders have to deal with I can see why we'd rather get more skill and run in to the side and be willing to lose 1 or so extra 1v1 contest and back us preventing any more than that with the zone.

3. Pedda's body has also impressed me. If there's more run in those legs I think he'll start round one.

The fitness of Kent and Tyson are probably my biggest queries now. Otherwise there looks a reasonably clear best 18 or so with a couple of spots up for grabs. Very keen for some scratch match footy and then the preseason to see if anyone jumps out of the blue.

Frost plays in front of OMac IMO, OMac still needs to work on pace, skills...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that this would be easy, (just alter b-r-f-e's post) however, not keen about leaving out Kent and Harmes and putting JKH, Vanders and Melksham as emergencies. Also interested to see how our new guys go in the practice match next week. I predict that this line-up will differ widely from my views in a month's time.

B: Jetta Frost Hibberd

HB: Hunt T-Mac Vince

C: Lewis Tyson Brayshaw

HF:  Petracca Hogan Weideman 

F: Garlett Pederson Watts 

Ru: Gawn Jones Viney

Int: Oliver Salem Stretch O'Mac

Emerg from: JKH Vanders Melksham

Obviously a lot can change over the JLT Series, but I think that our list can divided into 3 categories right at this moment:

Round 1 Locks

Hogan, Jones, Salem, Watts. Petracca, Lewis, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Tyson, Oliver, Hibberd, Frost, Melksham, Vince, Tom McDonald, Oscar McDonald, Hunt, Garlett, Jetta

In the mix – Competition for remaining spots will be fierce

Trengove, Billy Stretch (First picked out of this group), Kent (Would normally be in the above group but his back is an issue), Garland, Pedersen, AvB, JKH, Weideman, ANB, Bugg, Jake Spencer, Ben Kennedy, Tim Smith, Dion Johnstone, Wagner, Harmes, Joel Smith

Developing at Casey

Mitch Hannon (Shoulder reco will hold him back), Liam Hulett, Mitch King, Pat McKenna, Mitch White, Declan Keilty (He’s not far from the above group if one of our KPD goes down), Filipovic, Corey Maynard

The one thing that stands out to me is our improved depth.

B: JETTA, T.MCDONALD, O.MCDONALD

HB: HUNT, FROST, VINCE

C: MELKSHAM, LEWIS, BRAYSHAW

HF: PETRACCA, HOGAN, WATTS

F: GARLETT, WEIDEMAN, PEDERSEN 

FOLL: GAWN, VINEY, JONES

IC: TYSON, HIBBERD, SALEM, OLIVER

EMERG: STRETCH, VANDENBERG, HARMES

INJ: KENT  

Last wild stab in the dark before the preseason begins...

B: Jetta - T McDonald - Frost
HB: Hunt - O McDonald - Hibberd
C: Salem - Jones - Vince
HF: Petracca - Hogan - Brayshaw
F: Watts - Weideman - Garlett
I/C: Oliver - Stretch - vandenBerg - Kennedy-Harris
Emerg: Trengove - Melksham - Spencer

Injured: Tyson, Kent

If like a stab at this too:

b:    Jetta       Frost     Garland

hb:  Vince     T.Mac      Hunt

c:   Lewis*     Oliver   Brayshaw

hf:  Petracca Hogan  Melksham 

f:    Watts    Pedersen Garlett 

foll: GAWN Jones(c) Viney(c)

I:   Salem Stretch vandenBerg 

.    Bugg

a case could be made for 10 or so others (hoping trenners weid and McKenna put their hands up). I've gone garland to play on membrey but if a) hibberd is fit and ready or b) he's not up to it; then I'd go with Wagner. 

* I would love Lewis to go to Riewoldt on the wing and be a bigger headache than his opponent. bit of a risky 'hurt factor' competition, but would be great to throw them off from the start. 

Edited by The end is nigh
Typo (and (c) status?)

15 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Called it months ago that JKH will play Round 1, and have a breakout season.  Sticking by that prediction.

As Redleg has recently said, internally he's quite highly rated by the coaching group, and with a query on Kent I also think he's every chance to play round one if he has a strong JLT series.

• Like 1

I wonder if Tim smith might be a sneaky chance at round 1 instead of Sam weideman, I really like Weids but I still think he is going to take a bit of time and Tim smith seems like he could step up right away

• Like 1