Sam Frost

picket fence

14 hours ago, ENYAW said:

T.Mac may end up a forward it depends on who we draft.

No he won't. Hogan, Watts, Weideman, Hulett. Not going to happen.

• Like 5

Frost and TMac are very different players.

Frost has less vision than TMac, so takes less intercept marks. He spoils less often and will keep the ball in play while TMac often looks for the boudary. They are both very quick for big fellas. Frost is able to hit top pace very quickly which gives him line breaking capabilities - a huge plus.

Neither are great kicks, both are Iimited, but TMac continues to make momentum-killing clangers that turn directly into goals, especially when he tries to switch or hit up a target. We need both, but our smaller defenders like Jetta and Stretch need to roam around TMac and get him to handball more often.

Loved Frost's work against a quality forward line - great job.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, M_9 said:

So Frost on Lynch next week (assuming TMac takes 2m Peter)?

Tom will play CHB, use his endurance to run around with Lynch. Frost will play fullback on Wright.

They are both pretty well suited to their roles, with both needing to improve skills. The balance to that is if we can improve the other defenders around them so they take safer options.

Hibberd's a good option. We've got other good small and medium defenders as well. Finding the 3rd tall will probably be the greatest challenge. What I'd give to have Josh Gibson in his prime alongside Frost and Tom McDonald, they'd look like stars.

On 23/07/2016 at 7:33 PM, CBDees said:

It's a shame that you are not able to recognise the potential of the McDonalds as well!

The fear is whilst obviously Oscar has a long way to go(long way ) he does have potential. It worries me that this is as good as Tom gets. After all the seasons already he's hardly improving.

Compare with Frosty who's advancing with each game.

17 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

The fear is whilst obviously Oscar has a long way to go(long way ) he does have potential. It worries me that this is as good as Tom gets. After all the seasons already he's hardly improving.

I think with the change of out game plan to generate more attach (play on, switch, etc) from our HB line, plus the new deliberate out of bounds rule, Tom and others have had to change their role and attitude more than most in the team. 

As a result we're scoring much more while still defending as well as last year, and many of those attacks are set up by our backs.

another factor is the absence of Salam, Lamumba, Melksham, Garland and Dunn, means the responsibility for leading and implementing these new tactics has fallen squarely on Tom and his young co-back men, most of which are in their first season or two I.e Wagner, Hunt, OMac, etc.. 

If he fails to implement he's punished immediately unlike errors made further up the field. 

34 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

He's only 23 bb. I think Tom has plenty of improvement in him (one facet in particular). If you look at players like Rance or Grundy (and other talls in general), they really hit their straps at about 26/27. Rance was rubbish when he was younger, especially with his decision making. Tom's career could even follow a similar trajectory.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

I think with the change of out game plan to generate more attach (play on, switch, etc) from our HB line, plus the new deliberate out of bounds rule, Tom and others have had to change their role and attitude more than most in the team. 

As a result we're scoring much more while still defending as well as last year, and many of those attacks are set up by our backs.

another factor is the absence of Salam, Lamumba, Melksham, Garland and Dunn, means the responsibility for leading and implementing these new tactics has fallen squarely on Tom and his young co-back men, most of which are in their first season or two I.e Wagner, Hunt, OMac, etc.. 

If he fails to implement he's punished immediately unlike errors made further up the field. 

There is something of what you suggest about the 'change' but from my seat it still harshly shows up Tom's limitations. He isn't , imho, suited to the role of General. Maybe this responsibility once removed might bring improvement. 

I already sense Frost has more a natural gumption about this. Tom is a meat and potatoes type player. Hecan do specific things well. It's when called v upon ( or feels beholden to do so ) to be ' creative' that the Souffle folds.

I've been on about getting in a good FB to leave Tom to do the chb role. 

Maybe Frosty can seriously develop in time to be this. Possibly this is the reason Hibberd is sought and not a FB.

Possible line up

(someone ) Frost Jetta

Milkshake Tmac Hibberd 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beelzebub said:

(someone ) Frost Jetta

Milkshake Tmac Hibberd 

That empty spot needs to be a 190cm or so defender, as the three smaller guys have the smaller opponents covered.  Wagner is the obvious choice. 

Like most of suburbia, we have an unhealthy reliance on McDonalds.

Previously we were too reliant on the Hunger of Grimes,Trengove ,Watts.

The Hungry Jacks ,the McDonalds are not a healthy dependence.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

That empty spot needs to be a 190cm or so defender, as the three smaller guys have the smaller opponents covered.  Wagner is the obvious choice. 

I wouldn't mind snagging an under utilised McKenzie to help mentor Frost for a few years.

13 hours ago, Biffen said:

Like most of suburbia, we have an unhealthy reliance on McDonalds.

Previously we were too reliant on the Hunger of Grimes,Trengove ,Watts.

The Hungry Jacks ,the McDonalds are not a healthy dependence.

I laughed.

6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

The fact the club took so long to settle Frost in defence is one of life's great mysteries.

Its important to look at that in light of our forward line options at the beginning of the season: 

• Hogan, young and still raw. 
  • Watts had yet to blossom as a key forward.
  • Dawes was injured and told to get his body right. 
  • Weideman and Huelett not ready. 
  • Pedersen was the only other 'semi recognised' forward. 

There was a gaping hole up forward and a tall was needed to plug it.  The club had limited choices and Frost was the 'best' option under the circumstances. 

Frost has been able to revert to defence because Jack Watts has been outstanding as a tall forward.

• Like 3

Frost was ok on the weekend but...

Not great overhead, kicking very hit and miss, really not sure of where to run and position himself, average to poor decision maker.

He's an athlete and athletes tend to not be very consistent footballers, they will have their day when things go right and many others not so good.

He has some raw talent to work with but I think there is a bit of "jumping the gun" going on here with Frosty.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Its important to look at that in light of our forward line options at the beginning of the season: 

• Hogan, young and still raw. 
  • Watts had yet to blossom as a key forward.
  • Dawes was injured and told to get his body right. 
  • Weideman and Huelett not ready. 
  • Pedersen was the only other 'semi recognised' forward. 

There was a gaping hole up forward and a tall was needed to plug it.  The club had limited choices and Frost was the 'best' option under the circumstances. 

Frost has been able to revert to defence because Jack Watts has been outstanding as a tall forward.

I know why he was played forward.

It was diabolically stupid.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I think diabolically stupid is harsh (yes I know, good for me etc) - but the fact that Watts is now playing in the ruck is indicative of why it was well worth a shot.  I think there's no doubt that if it had succeeded we'd be far better off; a capable forward/ruck is more valuable than a key defender; the upside made the risk worthwhile to me.  

I agree the idea should probably have been abandoned sooner, though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Then why did you say 'it was one of life's great mysteries'? 

And it wasn't 'stupid'.  There were a lot more players to go play defence than up forward at the beginning of the season.  The club had little choice!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2