2 Home Games a Year in NT for 2017 & 2018

Demonland

1 minute ago, faultydet said:

Was I the only one who picked up what Jackson said?

(Something along the lines of) "The AFL signed a new 2 year deal to play 2 games in N.T, and we are the beneficiaries of this.

W.T.F?

I haven't heard Jackson's announcement, but if that wording is correct we are still being pushed around. 

Makes it hard to get 40-45,000 members. 

It is up to the FD to get the boys up next week. 

They simply must...

• Like 1

Is it really that hard to schedule one of these games before the bye? Tonight's game is only 1 week after the bye rounds have finished, it couldn't possibly be that hard to schedule it 2 weeks earlier in the season. Or at the very least, maybe the AFL could take advantage of the Thursday night games and give us one the week before, to allow for an ample break.

At least we have 8 days until our next match, I guess. Just unfortunate we have to play the bloody Saints for the second time this year at the same bloody venue!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demons11 said:

What's the issue??? If we are good enough, we win.  Hawthorn has played 3-4 games a year in Tassie and it hadn't done them any harm 

Exactly. All these posters whinging about us having to play these games as in the NT, just stop it. If we're good enough, we should win anywhere. If these deals are financially beneficial, then I'm all for them.

2 hours ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Exactly. All these posters whinging about us having to play these games as in the NT, just stop it. If we're good enough, we should win anywhere. If these deals are financially beneficial, then I'm all for them.

Difference is Tasmania doesn't sap the life out of you like Darwin does, players talk about how much weight they loose when they play up there and there is no doubt the effect if can have. I agree it should be an "anytime anywhere" mantra, but playing at home provides an advantage, playing in Darwin and Alice Springs creates a neutral venue.

Just on that as well, the Hawks have managed to make Tasmania successful because they have really worked hard at winning the local community over and in return the locals have embraced them as their team. I notice that the crowd sounded like it was 60-65% Freo supporters, if this is a direction we're going down then we need to work harder at winning them over as fans. Rather than it being a neutral ground make it out second home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pates said:

Difference is Tasmania doesn't sap the life out of you like Darwin does, players talk about how much weight they loose when they play up there and there is no doubt the effect if can have. I agree it should be an "anytime anywhere" mantra, but playing at home provides an advantage, playing in Darwin and Alice Springs creates a neutral venue.

Just on that as well, the Hawks have managed to make Tasmania successful because they have really worked hard at winning the local community over and in return the locals have embraced them as their team. I notice that the crowd sounded like it was 60-65% Freo supporters, if this is a direction we're going down then we need to work harder at winning them over as fans. Rather than it being a neutral ground make it out second home.

If you watched the game, the sight of all those beaming indigenous supporters sporting their Demon jumpers convinces me that we have made the right decision (especicially since Aussie and Co. continue to play there in local leagues). If we can establish an Academy there then even better still.

Articles during the week from both Watts and Jones support the fact that the players enjoy the association and your figure of 65% Freo supporters was not borne out by the television footage which showed the majority of the indigenous community excitedly backing us. I am all for it and prefer that our 'Etihad' "home game" was transferred there as well. In a few years the rest of the League will be dreading having to play us there (even moreso than we resent travelling a few kilometres to play a "home game" against St. Kilda, the Kangaroos or the Bulldogs at 'Etihad'!).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CBDees said:

If you watched the game, the sight of all those beaming indigenous supporters sporting their Demon jumpers convinces me that we have made the right decision (especicially since Aussie and Co. continue to play there in local leagues). If we can establish an Academy there then even better still.

Articles during the week from both Watts and Jones support the fact that the players enjoy the association and your figure of 65% Freo supporters was not borne out by the television footage which showed the majority of the indigenous community excitedly backing us. I am all for it and prefer that our 'Etihad' "home game" was transferred there as well. In a few years the rest of the League will be dreading having to play us there (even moreso than we resent travelling a few kilometres to play a "home game" against St. Kilda, the Kangaroos or the Bulldogs at 'Etihad'!).

Dreaming Time

how many members have we signed up in the NT?

About 3 years ago i know it was sitting on about 43....

Would love to know. The club never mentions it...Ever

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Dreaming Time

I suspect 43 more than we have signed up at Etihad. The upside is however the potential to tap into the indigenous community to get another Jurrah, Davey or Whelan. Perhaps the Club should sell "two game membership packages" in the NT? (Not as silly as the three game packages down here.)

No skin off my nose.

As long as we win and I agree with the scheduling next to a bye proposed by Sir WYL.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'm emailing Jackson on Monday to request that he requests to the AFL that our Alice Springs game not be against Port. 

Why? Cause they beat us?

We have also played them in Darwin previously. I am more than happy to play them. They have put a lot of money and resources into running events for kids from indigenous communities, events that would quite possibly be the highlight of the year for many of these kids. If Port continue doing this, then I am very much in favour of it continuing.

i'm emailing Peter Jackson to request this actually...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Demons11 said:

What's the issue??? If we are good enough, we win.  Hawthorn has played 3-4 games a year in Tassie and it hadn't done them any harm 

The issue is that the Darwin game completely cooks the players. They lose 2-3 kilos in that heat. Launceston is 1 hour flight in similar conditions to Melbourne. Darwin is a 5 hour flight in tropical heat 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Dreaming Time

Why don't you be proactive for a change, and ask,  I know the figure coz I asked, then you can let us all know

11 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Since when is Alice Springs in the tropics?

I wasn't referring to that game.

I think that game is awesome and doesn't sap the energy as much as the Darwin game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Why don't you be proactive for a change, and ask,  I know the figure coz I asked, then you can let us all know

The "All Knowing" Satyr

Of course you know and i knew you were going to tell me that you know....

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

The "All Knowing" Satyr

Of course you know and i knew you were going to tell me that you know....

Yes but you don't, so with not knowing the facts, you can have a bleat, i know you miss the trip to the local ground and sit in leaking stands with a cold pie, but it is 2016 and footy is big business that requires big dollars

2 hours ago, bandicoot said:

The issue is that the Darwin game completely cooks the players. They lose 2-3 kilos in that heat. Launceston is 1 hour flight in similar conditions to Melbourne. Darwin is a 5 hour flight in tropical heat 

So true. I used to go to Darwin/Arnhemland pretty often for work - it's a weird, enervating experience - takes ages to acclimatise - and I wasn't playing football - God knows what that does to you - if they can't at least arrange a bye after it, just confirms how much AFL is biased against the poorer clubs (not that confirmation is needed - the rest of us are just cannon-fodder for Hawthorn)

6 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Yes but you don't, so with not knowing the facts, you can have a bleat, i know you miss the trip to the local ground and sit in leaking stands with a cold pie, but it is 2016 and footy is big business that requires big dollars

It's a home game that we lose from the MCG  hardly a local ground. I know how much $$$ is involved in todays game. That includes player welfare

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It's a home game that we lose from the MCG  hardly a local ground. I know how much $$$ is involved in todays game. That includes player welfare

Er, we get replacement games, as for player welfare, that is why the club is furiously trying to get at least 30 players upto AFL standard so we can cover games like this, if any of the players don't recover like they should, we can bring ready made replacements in the following week, and give them a chance to full recover

Spent a lot of time in Northern Australia during my Defence days, and not sitting in air conditioned offices,  if you are super fit, you can recover quite quickly from physical exertion in hot and humid conditions, speaking from personal experience, and the players have the benefit of support staff and the latest science to assist them

15 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Er, we get replacement games, as for player welfare, that is why the club is furiously trying to get at least 30 players upto AFL standard so we can cover games like this, if any of the players don't recover like they should, we can bring ready made replacements in the following week, and give them a chance to full recover

Spent a lot of time in Northern Australia during my Defence days, and not sitting in air conditioned offices,  if you are super fit, you can recover quite quickly from physical exertion in hot and humid conditions, speaking from personal experience, and the players have the benefit of support staff and the latest science to assist them

Paint it any way you like. We are still disadvantaged to our opponents of next week

34 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

with all due respect that only is a reality is you are actually spending time up there...called acclimatisation. They don't.  It's draining.