2 Home Games a Year in NT for 2017 & 2018

Demonland

15 hours ago, deeko said:

Well the cash must be impressive so if it assists financially so be it. 

It clearly cooks the players however so it would be good next year to maybe play a Friday night game there followed by a nine day break and the other game before the bye round. 

Friday night game....what's that?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

with all due respect that only is a reality is you are actually spending time up there...called acclimatisation. They don't.  It's draining.

I was actually talking about extreme physical exertion in those conditions, mine was a few years ago, but we knew how to recover, and also look after ourselves during the physical activity, the science has come on leaps and bounds since my time, and the players have support staff to assist them with the recovery. Agree one or two of the younger players may need a breather next weekend as their bodies are not as physically developed, but the ones with a few seasons behind them should be fine by Sunday

I don't think anyone is happy about this, I don't even think the club is really happy about this.

But we need the cash, and if that cash helps us get better coaches, better physios, pay for extra prostitutes for Hogan, than it might be worth the short term pain.

At the end of the day, if we can get another 10,000 members, we probably won't need to sell home games. But we may not get another 10,000 members because we sell those home games. It is the chicken and the egg scenario.

I do hope, as everyone has already said, that we can at least make the AFL give us the Darwin game a week before the bye, or at least give us a 7 day break before and after that game, and not schedule another long interstate trip 2 weeks later (thanks for that!).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I don't think anyone is happy about this, I don't even think the club is really happy about this.

But we need the cash, and if that cash helps us get better coaches, better physios, pay for extra prostitutes for Hogan, than it might be worth the short term pain.

At the end of the day, if we can get another 10,000 members, we probably won't need to sell home games. But we may not get another 10,000 members because we sell those home games. It is the chicken and the egg scenario.

I do hope, as everyone has already said, that we can at least make the AFL give us the Darwin game a week before the bye, or at least give us a 7 day break before and after that game, and not schedule another long interstate trip 2 weeks later (thanks for that!).

Why do Hawthorn still play in Tassie then?

Peter Jackson "Roosy/Misso we are thinking about signing on for the NT deal for another couple of years, do you think this will impact on our ability to get close to playing finals?"

Roosy/Misso "A team that has aspirations to play finals, must bring consistency of performance, no matter the weather conditions. or location of the playing arena"

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

Peter Jackson "Roosy/Misso we are thinking about signing on for the NT deal for another couple of years, do you think this will impact on our ability to get close to playing finals?"

Roosy/Misso "A team that has aspirations to play finals, must bring consistency of performance, no matter the weather conditions. or location of the playing arena"

I'm not sure how you can compare a 30 minute flight to Tassie, with identical weather conditions, to playing in humidity, heat and having to fly 3 times longer.

Hawthorn still play in Tassie because it is easy money, and unlike our deal, actually significantly helps to boost their membership numbers. How many NT folks buy a Demons membership versus Tassie residents buying a Hawks membership?

Like comparing Hogan to M. Newton!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Hawthorn have a second home ground, they play there often, they have a big following in Tassie We play 2 games at 2 different stadiums, zero advantage and noone gives a toss about Melbourne in the NT, could hear the Freo chants through the tv

Just now, Jaded said:

I'm not sure how you can compare a 30 minute flight to Tassie, with identical weather conditions, to playing in humidity, heat and having to fly 3 times longer.

Hawthorn still play in Tassie because it is easy money, and unlike our deal, actually significantly helps to boost their membership numbers. How many NT folks buy a Demons membership versus Tassie residents buying a Hawks membership?

Like comparing Hogan to M. Newton!

That wasn't the point I was making

We need to broaden the demographic of supporters also, again if you need to know, ring the club, they will be able to enlighten you on the numbers, but it takes time and a win will help

We don't even get some supporters travelling to Etihad, coz it is not the MCG, so don't whinge if the club tries to cater for 'other' supporters

Our poor form the week after these games has little to nothing to do with the travel. It's because we've been [censored] the last 10 years. If  a group of 20 somethings can't back up after these games then they aren't fit enough. 

Edited by Roost It
  • Like 2

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

That wasn't the point I was making

We need to broaden the demographic of supporters also, again if you need to know, ring the club, they will be able to enlighten you on the numbers, but it takes time and a win will help

We don't even get some supporters travelling to Etihad, coz it is not the MCG, so don't whinge if the club tries to cater for 'other' supporters

Lame. What supporters do you speak of ? The 5 we have in the NT

4 hours ago, bandicoot said:

Interesting... Do we play less interstate matches than the average victorian side?

Including all sold home games interstate, but not including games in Geelong:

• Carlton - 6
  • Collingwood - 5
  • Essendon - 6
  • Geelong - 5
  • Hawthorn - 9 (4 in Tasmania, 5 elsewhere)
  • Melbourne* - 7 (2 in NT, 5 elsewhere)
  • NM - 8 (3 in Tasmania, 5 elsewhere)
  • Richmond - 6
  • St Kilda - 5
  • WB* - 5 (1 in Cairns, 4 elsewhere)

*WB and Melbourne are the only two to play down in Geelong, though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

Lame. What supporters do you speak of ? The 5 we have in the NT

Have you been to a game in Darwin, I have 3 times, so I know they give a toss, last time I was there, went into the local newsagency which wasn't in the city centre, saw my jumper and said "here to support the Dees"

Supporters I speak of, the whingers, "don't like Etihad, never been there, but it is dump"

4 minutes ago, Roost It said:

Our poor form the week after these games has little to nothing to do with the travel. It's because we've been [censored] the last 10 years. If  a group of 20 somethings can't back up after these games then they aren't fit enough. 

Exactly

Edited by Satyriconhome

How much money are we actually talking? 500k per game?? What does that actually pay for? A couple of senior players wages for the year?? Yeah we need the money, but what is a finals appearance worth in terms of $ to the club? I'm not sure you can quantify that. Regular finals appearances and we start to attract that 10,000+ missing members. The issue is we miss finals by 1 or 2 matches and in the next few years 1 or 2 matches might mean the difference between making top 4 or not. Alice? Maybe. Darwin...?

Sure I'm all for the money, but at what cost?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

How much money are we actually talking? 500k per game?? What does that actually pay for? A couple of senior players wages for the year?? Yeah we need the money, but what is a finals appearance worth in terms of $ to the club? I'm not sure you can quantify that. Regular finals appearances and we start to attract that 10,000+ missing members. The issue is we miss finals by 1 or 2 matches and in the next few years 1 or 2 matches might mean the difference between making top 4 or not. Alice? Maybe. Darwin...?

And what if we slip back into old habits and the couple of games we lose are at Ethad under the roof in perfect conditions, and not after the NT games?

25 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Nailed it Whadda

$$$ at what cost. 

If we can miraculously sneak into the 8 this year then how much easier will it be to sell memberships over summer. 

Damm that Essendrug loss....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Nailed it Whadda

$$$ at what cost. 

If we can miraculously sneak into the 8 this year then how much easier will it be to sell memberships over summer. 

Damm that Essendrug loss....

And the answer to my post SWYL, the losses are at Etihad?

You going into the Club to ring around if we make the 8?

West Coast (2015) and Fremantle (2014) both had big wins the week after returning from Darwin. Brisbane (2013) had a narrow loss at Football Park the following round. If we're a fair dinkum footy side then we can't use Darwin conditions as an excuse for losing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

WTF has Etihad got to do with the NT Games?

NOTHING!

Now go away...

My point, what if we continue to lose games at Etihad, as Paul Roos says, 15 minutes away, will you then call for us to not play there because it is costing us finals?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Saint said:

West Coast (2015) and Fremantle (2014) both had big wins the week after returning from Darwin. Brisbane (2013) had a narrow loss at Football Park the following round. If we're a fair dinkum footy side then we can't use Darwin conditions as an excuse for losing. 

You (and I) are wasting time typing, there is a mindset on here, led by a certain individual, me I want a team that can win anytime, anywhere, any weather conditions, at the moment we haven't quite got that yet

2 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

My point, what if we continue to lose games at Etihad, as Paul Roos says, 15 minutes away, will you then call for us to not play there because it is costing us finals?

It has nothing to do with The NT games and subsequent recovery

The points made above by Whadda are Bang on the money. 

Stop answering a question with a different question....

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

It has nothing to do with The NT games and subsequent recovery

The points made above by Whadda are Bang on the money. 

Stop answering a question with a different question....

Read SS' post, the West Coast and Fremantle didn't seem to have an issue, the issue is we didn't have the cattle in the past, hopefully we have now, and the proper systems in place to ensure the recovery is top notch for players

17 hours ago, Demons11 said:

What's the issue??? If we are good enough, we win.  Hawthorn has played 3-4 games a year in Tassie and it hadn't done them any harm 

Very different than playing in Darwin.

Alice in winter is little different from flying to Adelaide or Brisbane and is not hot...in fact could be a pleasant change from a Melbourne winter.  Closer than Perth  

The issue I have is Darwin then a game anywhere the following week - totally unfair to both competing teams.  

If the AFL had any sense of justice whatsoever (and they clearly do not) they would schedule the Darwin game before the bye for both teams. It can be done, easily...the will (I guess the care factor) is not.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

And what if we slip back into old habits and the couple of games we lose are at Ethad under the roof in perfect conditions, and not after the NT games?

Yeah sure, we have to overcome that as well i guess, but my issue is these games seems to cost us 2 losses historically. Dont think Etihad does that so much.

5 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Read SS' post, the West Coast and Fremantle didn't seem to have an issue, the issue is we didn't have the cattle in the past, hopefully we have now, and the proper systems in place to ensure the recovery is top notch for players

But we are still choosing to put ourselves at a disadvantage against an opponent who has a "home" game on a Stadium where we must have the worst record in the AFL. It is a huge gamble long term and i will never like it. 

And please do not mention The map of Tassie

Playing games in Tasmania is 2000 light years away from conditions in the NT.

I have spent tome in The Kimberleys. I know how extreme Temperatures can get up Top

1 minute ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah sure, we have to overcome that as well i guess, but my issue is these games seems to cost us 2 losses historically. Dont think Etihad does that so much.

The point is, really good teams, ie teams that consistently make finals, can play anywhere, anytime and consistently produce the same standard of performance, there is a knock on West Coast at the moment that they can't travel, so they aren't eveybody's pick despite their outstanding form at home

• Like 1