2 Home Games a Year in NT for 2017 & 2018

Demonland

It's not JUST about money...

With Melbourne set to have a talent academy in Alice Springs, and some access in Darwin, Jackson said it was important Melbourne made a meaningful contribution in the NT.

“The second part of it is that we now have a talent academy that the AFL has given us in Alice Springs and we’re also required to do some talent academy work in Darwin,” he said.

“To continue the relationship with the community up there and to give back and develop Indigenous football and improve Indigenous communities is really important.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-07-11/nt-deal-critical-for-club-jackson

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's not JUST about money...

With Melbourne set to have a talent academy in Alice Springs, and some access in Darwin, Jackson said it was important Melbourne made a meaningful contribution in the NT.

“The second part of it is that we now have a talent academy that the AFL has given us in Alice Springs and we’re also required to do some talent academy work in Darwin,” he said.

“To continue the relationship with the community up there and to give back and develop Indigenous football and improve Indigenous communities is really important.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-07-11/nt-deal-critical-for-club-jackson

Wrapping Paper. 

It is ALL about the money...

58 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

c'mon, od. first it was the "national competition", then it was "good sides" and now it's "the money".

if nothing else you are good at moving goal posts.... but on your last point i can't argue. seems everything sadly boils down to the evil money :cool: 

Here is my opinion in a nut shell dc.

We need the money.

good sides win anywhere, we have lost these games because we were a crap side.

The travel thing is here to stay and effects all sides the WA sides travel big distances every other week,. When they are good they win when poor they lose.

The effect the week after is greatly over stated.

• Like 1

These games used to make me feel like we are the hapless Washington Gererals trotted out for the amusement of the Harlem Globetrotters following locals.  At least this time we tore the script up. No doubt when this game was fixed up it would have been expected Freo would be flag contenders.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Wrapping Paper. 

It is ALL about the money...

Can you read?

"we’re also required to do some talent academy work in Darwin”

"to give back and develop Indigenous football and improve Indigenous communities is really important."

Not everyone is as self-absorbed as you.

Just now, stuie said:

Can you read?

"to give back and develop Indigenous football and improve Indigenous communities is really important."

Yes i have read a lot about all these acadamies. It is a small part of why we must fly to the NT

As i said Wrapping Paper. The $$$ are inside

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes i have read a lot about all these acadamies. It is a small part of why we must fly to the NT

As i said Wrapping Paper. The $$$ are inside

Let me guess, you're over 50? Baby boomer perhaps?...

aside from money its a lose-lose.

Members and supporters miss seeing the Dees play live twice a year.  these replacement games are just other Melb based away games most supporters would go to anyway - so we miss seeing our team play twice (unless you have money and time to spare to travel - which most of us dont)

Our ladder position is adversely affected: we would be more likely to win at the G as opposed to NT.  Imagine the difference playing West Coast in NT rather than in perth?

its sad that we are still so financially poor we need to sell games, but if that is the situation then what can we do? obviously this is all about money as we could go to NT in pre-season and set up academies/play NAB cup without playing AFL games there

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

Can you read?

With all due respect,  all the investment over the years we have put into NT football, it hasn't earned us much support from the locals. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah sure, we have to overcome that as well i guess, but my issue is these games seems to cost us 2 losses historically. Dont think Etihad does that so much.

I wish it was as simple to work out why we've lost an additional 18-20 games a year in the same period. I think blaming losses on games being played interstate is just hiding the awful truth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I wish it was as simple to work out why we've lost an additional 18-20 games a year in the same period. I think blaming losses on games being played interstate is just hiding the awful truth.

That covers it LDC

Even if it is all about the money (and it's not) then what's the problem?  We're in a competition where the money is ultra important - and it's been that way since the 70's.  If we're not a player then we're out of the game (much like we were out of the game in the 70's & 80's because of our lack of finances)

As for the academies up there (both in the Alice & Darwin) ... another win.  These academies can be a real advantage (as seen with the Swans & Giants) so we get to be a player in that area.

And if we start winning up there on a consistent basis the locals will get on board - people 'like' winners.

The recovery issue is way overblown too - again, we've been a poorly performed team who have lost games everywhere - Etihad stadium is a case in point - the fact that we've been unable to win there anytime is an indictment on the quality of our players - there is no other reason. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Where did you hear that? That is an immense amount of cash for 2 games. Good on the club if they've managed that. And you're right with our Academy due to be setup there (as much as I think the academies are a crock) it will help with that too.

I used to be totally against the NT games taking an swyl position. Now I actually think it would be good if we could get 3 or 4 games there similar to the Tassie deals. If we could get $6.4m over 2 years instead of $3.2m it would go a hell of a long way to sorting us out for the long term both on and off field 

Might be a bridge too far for some supporters but if the members were to receive 2 more compensation games then why not?  It doesn't seem to bother the Hawks or North supporters.

Both the Hawks & North win a truckload of games too ... they can play anywhere and win.  That might have something to do with having quality players on their lists on an ongoing basis. 

So ... we beat Freo convincingly in Darwin with an improving list.  All going to plan as far as I can see.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, america de cali said:

With all due respect,  all the investment over the years we have put into NT football, it hasn't earned us much support from the locals. 

Not totally getting the underlying gist of the article are you....

24 minutes ago, stuie said:

Let me guess, undemocratic whiner who cries when things don't go their way? :P

Just got a phone call from a lovely lady on behalf of the MFC. She was selling a $200 raffle ticket for an annual fundraising event "for the boys".

Given I'm in no financial position to fork out 200 large, I suggested the money from the extension of the NT deal should be sufficient and if it hadn't been signed, I would gladly upgrade my membership package if there were 2 more home games at the G to go and watch. I maintained if our trajectory of success was coupled with actual bums on seats/memberships here in Melbourne, the coffers would grow without having to sell overpriced raffle tickets. 

She agreed and we spent 5 minutes talking about how crap the 2nd half was on Saturday night and concerns about this weekend. 

Bless. :pj:

17 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

spin it anyway you like macca...

...but the bottom line is we are still giving up a competitive on-field advantage for a fist-full of shekels....and that is a fact

In case you have not noticed DC shekels are what makes the world go round. Without them you are in the Amos playing to 100 mums and dads.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stuie said:

Is that the best you can throw today?

These AFL "Academy's" set up by the same organization who "wanted" Buddy to go to GW$ and cracked the absolute [censored] when Sydney thwarted them. 

Trust-Nil

• Like 2

Just now, old dee said:

In case you have not noticed DC shekels are what makes the world go round. Without them you are in the Amos playing to 100 mums and dads.

i know that my friend. i was just cutting through all the spin and $bs and calling it for what it is

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

spin it anyway you like macca...

...but the bottom line is we are still giving up a competitive on-field advantage for a fist-full of shekels....and that is a fact

Not spin dc ... on this occasion I agree with the clubs stance on these games because I believe it's beneficial to the club.  Nothing is perfect though and we do have to give a bit of ground.  Well worth it in my opinion.

We stat winning more and watch the thinking change - people here who are opposed to these games might even start to see these games as advantageous.

Related ... I cringe at the opposition to Docklands stadium - people openly state that they won't go to the ground yet it's in the CBD. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Macca said:

Related ... I cringe at the opposition to Docklands stadium - people openly state that they won't go to the ground yet it's in the CBD. 

I do not mind Docklands except for the seating arrangements.

When we play there the middle deck which is the best view is almost empty. Yes I know about Medallion club members etc but surely they could work out something so our measly 25.000 fans are not stuck in the Gods or on the ground floor where viewing is a little better but not ideal.

Perhaps I am spoilt by the MCG where I am used to a whole bay almost to myself !! :)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Is that the best you can throw today?

These AFL "Academy's" set up by the same organization who "wanted" Buddy to go to GW$ and cracked the absolute [censored] when Sydney thwarted them. 

Trust-Nil

Ha. Just proved my point by totally ignoring the part about contributing to Indigenous communities. Standard for you WYL, it's all about you isn't it?

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Ha. Just proved my point by totally ignoring the part about contributing to Indigenous communities. Standard for you WYL, it's all about you isn't it?

Excuse me? Stop changing the subject mid way through a discussion Stuie

YOU DO IT ALL THE TIME...