• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NORTH BALLARAT v CASEY SCORPIONS

KC from Casey

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

At half time I was wondering what all the pre-draft hype was all about. His disposal was terrible. After half time, wow, he was moved to the forward line and he was amazing. Looks like he could develop into another Stringer.

Looked impressive in the 2nd half but they were only playing Werribee who really lacked grunt once the wick was turned up. A few good cameos but their overall team defence and contested work was pretty ordinary in that second half.

Is he that good or was it just the quality of the oppositions?

Edited by Rusty Nails

I think Matt Jones is improving. We have players on our list who aren't - or won't. I think M.Jones is still an improving player. I would hold him before many others. Also glad we have Spencer signed till the end of next year. He would most definitely of attracted interest from other clubs. If Gawn goes down (god forbid), at least we will have a back up ruck man. When Spence is fit, he can hold down the fort. I would back him in against the likes of Hampson, Lobbe, Sinclair, Leunberger, and most back up rucks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I'd be reasonably happy if they just wrote Gus off this year and made sure he was super-fit and ready for next.  We're not feeling the loss too badly so no need to rush with him.  He's only in his second year.  Plenty more to come if we manage him well now. 

Honestly mate, why? He just got through a full game albeit against a depleted opposition. There are still 10 rounds remaining..

I think there is plenty of time for him to come back into the team. Writing a year off with 10 weeks to go is just absurd. Had he of got injured again today, I'd be inclined to agree. He didn't, bring on the scorpions game after the bye!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KingDingAling said:

I think Matt Jones is improving. We have players on our list who aren't - or won't. I think M.Jones is still an improving player. I would hold him before many others. Also glad we have Spencer signed till the end of next year. He would most definitely of attracted interest from other clubs. If Gawn goes down (god forbid), at least we will have a back up ruck man. When Spence is fit, he can hold down the fort. I would back him in against the likes of Hampson, Lobbe, Sinclair, Leunberger, and most back up rucks.

Yep absolutely agree. Considering we would be paying him in only cans recyclable in south Australia, I think he is worth the place on the list. This time last year there were massive questions on gawn, and 12 months later he is arguably the best ruckman in the game. Who knows how Spence will continue to improve, but while that trajectory is up, I think he is great foil for gawny

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

Matt Jones could be our version of Sam Gibson from North.

A late starter who's getting better with age.

AFTER THE GOLD RUSH by Ice Station

Eureka Stadium has never been a happy hunting ground for the Casey Scorpions. Visitors from the other side of Melbourne face a long drive and find it a cold and forbidding place and the home crowd will always let you know that you're in for a tough day at the office.

The Scorpions arrived in town with the pain from  last week's defeat at the hands of Collingwood still strongly etched in their minds. They simply could not afford to allow the uncertainty of a possible loss of form to destroy what they had worked so hard to build in the first half of the season. At the end of the day, they fulfilled their part of the contract with a handsome 91-point win after some early flutters caused mainly by some inaccurate kicking for goal.

The Scorpions were aided by some good fortune. The North Ballarat Roosters are no longer aligned with the AFL Kangaroos and have been struggling at the foot of the VFL table. For the club which has been a dominant force over the past decade, the gold rush is over.

Last week they lost their best player, ruckman Orren Stephenson with a knee injury which gave the Scorps' in-form big man Jake Spencer free rein to cause carnage on the home side firstly in the ruck and then in front of goal booting four for the day.

The Roosters also lost three players in the opening quarter, all of them forced off the ground for the rest of the day and causing havoc with their rotations. North Ballarat was therefore undersized and undermanned and, after a brief period of early resistance, were blown away by the superiority all over the ground of the Melbourne-aligned Scorpions.

The quarter time lead of 25 points quickly blew out to 65 points on the back of a dominant midfield led by Matt Jones, Alex Neal-Bullen and Angus Brayshaw who gave young Demon forwards Liam Hulett and James Harmes plenty of opportunities to score and they didn't let the team down. 

The Scorpions coasted through the third term but lifted their intensity into the last quarter with Spencer taking the opportunity to use his height and size to advantage and destroy the hapless Roosters. Had the team kicked straighter in the last, it would almost certainly have been another 100-point demolition. 

For the most part of the day, it was an impressive performance with the team running in numbers and using the advantage of superior bench numbers to the fullest. The Demons would have been pleased with the output of Jones, Neal-Bullen and Ben Newton in the middle and the sheer brilliance of youngsters Brayshaw (returning from an extended lay off with concussion) and Harmes and the four goals from Hulett. The experience of Colin Garland and Jack Grimes was invaluable - all factors which underline Melbourne's improved depth this year. Of the Casey listed players James Munro continued his good work this season and small man Angus Scott was busy, particularly around goal.

The Scorpions have retaken top spot on the ladder and go into the bye week well placed to continue their finals assault in the second half of  the season.

Peter Jackson VFL 2016

Casey Scorpions 5.7.37 11.12.78 16.12.108 19.21.135 

North Ballarat 2.0.12 2.1.13 5.1.31 7.2.44

Goals 

Casey Scorpions Hulett Spencer 4 Harmes 3 Brayshaw Scott 2 Garlett King Newton T Smith

North Ballarat S Hooper 3 George A Hooper Kiel Templeton 

Best 

Casey Scorpions Harmes M Jones Brayshaw Neal-Bullen Spencer Garland

North Ballarat S Hooper Marshall A Hooper George Kiel Austin

Statistics 

Angus Brayshaw 2 goals 1 behind 28 disposals 12 kicks 16 handballs 5 marks 7 tackles 125 dream team points
Colin Garland 1 behind 24 disposals 14  kicks 10 handballs 9 marks 2 tackles 100 dream team points
Jeff Garlett 1 goal 13 disposals 9 kicks 4 handballs 5 tackles 62 dream team points
Jack Grimes 2 behinds 24 disposals 14 kicks 10 handballs 9 marks 2 tackles 85 dream team points
James Harmes 3 goals 23 disposals 11 kicks 12 handballs 5 marks 7 tackles 107 dream team points
Liam Hulett 4 goals 1 behind 17 disposals 10  kicks 7 handballs 3 marks 2 tackles 88 dream team points
Max King 1 goal 2 behinds 13 disposals 10 kicks 3 handballs 4 marks 4 tackles 16 hit outs 87 dream team points
Matt Jones 40 disposals 15 kicks 25 handballs 8 marks 2 tackles 124 dream team points
Alex Neale-Bullen 1 behind 33 disposals 11 kicks 22 handballs 4 marks 8 tackles 124 dream team points
Ben Newton 1 goals 1 behind 20 disposals 11  kicks 9 handballs 4 marks 5 tackles 88 dream team points
Jake Spencer 4 goals 17 disposals 7 kicks 10 handballs 2 marks 2 tackles 44 hit outs 124 dream team points
Dean Terlich 1 behind disposals 6 kicks 6 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 58 dream team points
Mitch White 14 disposals 8 kicks 6 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 56 dream team points

The Development League team upset fourth placed Werribee in their game played away under lights to keep in touch in the finals race.

AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 3.2.20 4.5.29 7.9.51 12.14.86

Werribee 0.4.4 3.7.25 4.7.31 5.10.40

Goals 

Casey Scorpions Baker Freeman D Johnston Muir 2 Hannon McDonald Machaya Rutherford

Werribee Barrack Butt Kershaw Sharp VanDenBerg

Best

Casey Scorpions Rutherford Gordon J McDonald McInerney Wison Hillard

Werribee Conway Petterwood Holman Nielson Sharp  VanDenBerg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

I'm not a fan of Matt Jones. He is that inbetweener  type player that we have had so many of over the years. Not good enough 2 mix it with the best in the AFL but 2 good 4 VFL. He lacks awareness in AFL,  but because of tempo of the VFL he gets big possessions. But 2 often I seee him in the AFL get caught, turn in2 a tackle or do a sloppy kick & create a turnover. He has endurance &  speed but he is no Salem & we need players who can kick well under pressure. Pedersen is another NOR,  lacks intensity & urgency & tank. While Spencer had a gr8  game he is that Ironmonger type ruck who has a poor kicking technique unlike Max King who does but lacks Spencer 's grunt & build. Of the 3 I'd keep Spencer as insurance & go 4 kids rather than Matt & Ped.

Thanks KC and all other Posters, terrific game from Scorp's great to get the steady flow of info and goal kickers during the game. What a turn around from last week. Go Scorp's - Go Dee's!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demonland said:

AFTER THE GOLD RUSH by Ice Station

Eureka Stadium has never been a happy hunting ground for the Casey Scorpions. Visitors from the other side of Melbourne face a long drive and find it a cold and forbidding place and the home crowd will always let you know that you're in for a tough day at the office.

The Scorpions arrived in town with the pain from  last week's defeat at the hands of Collingwood still strongly etched in their minds. They simply could not afford to allow the uncertainty of a possible loss of form to destroy what they had worked so hard to build in the first half of the season. At the end of the day, they fulfilled their part of the contract with a handsome 91-point win after some early flutters caused mainly by some inaccurate kicking for goal.

The Scorpions were aided by some good fortune. The North Ballarat Roosters are no longer aligned with the AFL Kangaroos and have been struggling at the foot of the VFL table. For the club which has been a dominant force over the past decade, the gold rush is over.

Last week they lost their best player, ruckman Orren Stephenson with a knee injury which gave the Scorps' in-form big man Jake Spencer free rein to cause carnage on the home side firstly in the ruck and then in front of goal booting four for the day.

The Roosters also lost three players in the opening quarter, all of them forced off the ground for the rest of the day and causing havoc with their rotations. North Ballarat was therefore undersized and undermanned and, after a brief period of early resistance, were blown away by the superiority all over the ground of the Melbourne-aligned Scorpions.

The quarter time lead of 25 points quickly blew out to 65 points on the back of a dominant midfield led by Matt Jones, Alex Neal-Bullen and Angus Brayshaw who gave young Demon forwards Liam Hulett and James Harmes plenty of opportunities to score and they didn't let the team down. 

The Scorpions coasted through the third term but lifted their intensity into the last quarter with Spencer taking the opportunity to use his height and size to advantage and destroy the hapless Roosters. Had the team kicked straighter in the last, it would almost certainly have been another 100-point demolition. 

For the most part of the day, it was an impressive performance with the team running in numbers and using the advantage of superior bench numbers to the fullest. The Demons would have been pleased with the output of Jones, Neal-Bullen and Ben Newton in the middle and the sheer brilliance of youngsters Brayshaw (returning from an extended lay off with concussion) and Harmes and the four goals from Hulett. The experience of Colin Garland and Jack Grimes was invaluable - all factors which underline Melbourne's improved depth this year. Of the Casey listed players James Munro continued his good work this season and small man Angus Scott was busy, particularly around goal.

The Scorpions have retaken top spot on the ladder and go into the bye week well placed to continue their finals assault in the second half of  the season.

Peter Jackson VFL 2016

Casey Scorpions 5.7.37 11.12.78 16.12.108 19.21.135 

North Ballarat 2.0.12 2.1.13 5.1.31 7.2.44

Goals 

Casey Scorpions Hulett Spencer 4 Harmes 3 Brayshaw Scott 2 Garlett King Newton T Smith

North Ballarat S Hooper 3 George A Hooper Kiel Templeton 

Best 

Casey Scorpions Harmes M Jones Brayshaw Neal-Bullen Spencer Garland

North Ballarat S Hooper Marshall A Hooper George Kiel Austin

Disposals M Jones 38, Neal-Bullen 30 Brayshaw 29 Harmes 27 Garland 26 Munro 24 Grimes Newton 22 

The Development League team upset fourth placed Werribee in their game played away under lights to keep in touch in the finals race.

AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 3.2.20 4.5.29 7.9.51 12.14.86

Werribee 0.4.4 3.7.25 4.7.31 5.10.40

Goals 

Casey Scorpions Baker Freeman D Johnston Muir 2 Hannon McDonald Machaya Rutherford

Werribee Barrack Butt Kershaw Sharp VanDenBerg

Best

Casey Scorpions Rutherford Gordon J McDonald McInerney Wison Hillard

Werribee Conway Petterwood Holman Nielson Sharp  VanDenBerg

Does anyone know if Lovett played in the DL is a chance 4 a rookie spot in the future or is he not

Full statistics 

Angus Brayshaw 2 goals 1 behind 28 disposals 12 kicks 16 handballs 5 marks 7 tackles 125 dream team points

Colin Garland 1 behind 24 disposals 14  kicks 10 handballs 9 marks 2 tackles 100 dream team points

Jeff Garlett 1 goal 13 disposals 9 kicks 4 handballs 5 tackles 62 dream team points

Jack Grimes 2 behinds 24 disposals 14 kicks 10 handballs 9 marks 2 tackles 85 dream team points

James Harmes 3 goals 23 disposals 11 kicks 12 handballs 5 marks 7 tackles 107 dream team points

Liam Hulett 4 goals 1 behind 17 disposals 10  kicks 7 handballs 3 marks 2 tackles 88 dream team points

Max King 1 goal 2 behinds 13 disposals 10 kicks 3 handballs 4 marks 4 tackles 16 hit outs 87 dream team points

Matt Jones 40 disposals 15 kicks 25 handballs 8 marks 2 tackles 124 dream team points

Alex Neale-Bullen 1 behind 33 disposals 11 kicks 22 handballs 4 marks 8 tackles 124 dream team points

Ben Newton 1 goals 1 behind 20 disposals 11  kicks 9 handballs 4 marks 5 tackles 88 dream team points

Jake Spencer 4 goals 17 disposals 7 kicks 10 handballs 2 marks 2 tackles 44 hit outs 124 dream team points

Dean Terlich 1 behind disposals 6 kicks 6 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 58 dream team points

Mitch White 14 disposals 8 kicks 6 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 56 dream team points

On 6/19/2016 at 10:31 AM, bjDee said:

Fantastic turnaround from the disappointment of last week. Well done Scorps. 

North Ballarat are a basket case and were mad even worse by losing 3 players by quarter time Cannot compare this weeks game to last weeks because the opponents were very poor. Can't get excited about anyone's performance this week. Seriously at times witches hats would have been more competitive. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2016 at 7:06 AM, KC from Casey said:

Max King is a big man and they take time to develop. His problem is that he is playing second fiddle to Jake Spencer as a ruckman at Casey and Jake is probably one of the dominant ruckmen regularly getting a game in the VFL and he can't get a look in at AFL level because of Max Gawn's outstanding play at Melbourne over the past 12 months (I would have played Spencer against the Swans this week to take advantage of their ruck weakness without Tippet).

The club was also trying to make a key forward position player out of him but he also has opposition in that area at Casey with Tim Smith, Liam Hulett and Sam Weideman fighting for KFP places.

His form this year hasn't been all that great (the conditions at Casey and the fact that they've played a few times under lights haven't helped the big man) and I think he needs a big second half of the season to assure himself of a place on the list next year.

Thank KC for the reply. 

I thought after his NAB cup game he looked like he had something, but hasn't had a good run.. 

On 6/18/2016 at 4:50 PM, RalphiusMaximus said:

I'd be reasonably happy if they just wrote Gus off this year and made sure he was super-fit and ready for next.  We're not feeling the loss too badly so no need to rush with him.  He's only in his second year.  Plenty more to come if we manage him well now. 

I was thinking the same earlier in the year, about resting him completely. Or perhaps just leaving him out of AFL. Obviously he's in just as much danger of hurting his mush again in the VFL since that's where he copped his head knocks. As for being left out this season, I think it sends a bad message to him not to respect his willpower to get back in. We want the whole list fighting for spots consistently, so to encourage that is important. A good/great last 10 rounds from him will get him on the way to getting his confidence back, which I worry might be desperately low given what's happened to him, especially his courage in the contest. Anyone who's had concussion, or had worrying impact injuries knows those first few hits, you're more anxious than you normally would be.

Also, factor in the early knee injury in the NAB Cup. I remember thinking at the time that even if he does come back for round one, he's not going to be 100% for months. Those MCLs play up for ages before the player can hit full stride. I'm excited to see what he'll be able to do without bing hindered by it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KC from Casey said:

Next week's game is on Sunday against Richmond at the Punt Road Oval. 

2:10 PM start, so you'd see the first half on the way to the 'G. Also the televised game.

• Like 1