POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 12

Demonland

The last time Melbourne won QB, I started school. So long ago.

First quarter aside, it was brilliant watching Melbourne crush the Filth, the pressure around the ball was immense. Also got after game selfies with Omac and Dawes to round out a mighty fine day.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Buzzy said:

Was I watching a different game?  I thought Omac missed some easy spoils, failed to make body contact at all a few times - and Wagner's composure was the worst part of his game, i.e quite a few panicked turnovers...

Buckley mentioned Wagner in his presser as someone who killed them with his disposal.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

The other thing I noticed was Brian Taylor gets a lot of Melbourne player names wrong.

Perhaps RtG you should just leave at Brian Taylor gets a lot wrong.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Negative first. Stop handballing and overusing it. It was so frustrating. Kick the thing. 

Now positives

Wow what a fantastic day. just in everything. The weather, the slide, the money raised for MND and of course the game. 

Maxy I said it years ago. He is a cult hero. His owned that 2nd quarter and just had an all round game. Love how we rested him in the forward line and he an all round game. 

Jones hated your first 4 disposals but you just dominated after that. Just carved up greenwood. Just loved u as our captain and I love this photo after the game. Ck0RJPDUkAAP0Qt.jpg

Viney u are just a tough bugger. Awesome game and loved how he kicked the 1st goal.

So rapt to see Trenners get through another game, kick a goal and see the boys get around him. 

Just so happy with everyone and I also thought Chris Dawes was fantastic and did some super things today. 

I read on twitter that max said this. Did her really say it.  Max Gawn: "I knew I was in for a big day when I saw Witts in the 22." #AFLDeesPies

Yes, but he meant it as he knew that he wild be triple teamed with Witts inclusion. 

• Like 1

I didn't get into Melbourne until 7pm last night and won't get home to Perf until midnight tonight but that was totally worth it.

Edited by McQueen
Too many Fat Yaks. ?
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, The Reverend said:

That means we are just like most teams then!

Be happy with the win. It was one we should have won and we did.

You are doomed to a life of misery if you can't find some joy in beating the Pies on QB.

You may never say truer words than those Rev.

• Like 1

It's always gratifying when a coach like Roos makes mention that we didn't have a poor player ... although we did have a number of standout players today.   We've had quite a few games this season where it's been hard to find a non-contributor. 

We're playing as a team which is a rather obvious observation but to play as a team and have everyone contribute is easier said than done - we've now played quite well or very well in 9 out of our 12 games.  And it could be argued that our best efforts have come against North & the Hawks.  There's a lot of positives.

The noticeable difference this season is how the players trust their teammates as a matter of course.   We're overdoing the handballing a bit but as a means to an end, it's a good strategy.   Eventually the ball will come out quicker and cleaner - in the meantime, we need to keep practicing what we're doing.

A word for the backmen - apparently 9 goals were scored from our rebounds out of defence.  Taking it 1 or 2 steps back, the ability of the whole team in not allowing the Pies to have effective forward forays probably led to our defence being so effective with our rebounding.  Total team at work again.  What that also indicates is that we're playing attacking footy from defence (which involves risk) 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Thought it was very poor of Collingwood to leave the ground before the medal/cup was presented to Gawn. Very poor sportsmanship and an insult to Neale Daniher.

Pretty standard for the Pies then.  Did you notice the suddenly empty stands as the game was ending? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I read on twitter that max said this. Did her really say it.  Max Gawn: "I knew I was in for a big day when I saw Witts in the 22." #AFLDeesPies

He meant they had 3 talls so he knew he was in for a big day work wise, rather than he knew he was going to have a field day. But yeah, he had a field day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jnrmac said:

Thought it was very poor of Collingwood to leave the ground before the medal/cup was presented to Gawn. Very poor sportsmanship and an insult to Neale Daniher.

Yes.

i thought nothing of it until you mentioned it but now I'm outraged.

I still think Neale should have stayed off the booze until it was all over.

He was slurring his words from the start which is usually something I receive criticism for.

Just now, Deestroy All said:

Very enjoyable episode of Game of Thrones.

Sheeeit (sorry Picket).

I'll need to watch the replay of the game and GOT upon arrival home.

Long night ahead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Pretty standard for the Pies then.  Did you notice the suddenly empty stands as the game was ending? 

Winners are griners and the Pies can please themselves. Belted twice in the one season.

Enjoy the bottom four boys.

• Like 1

I didn't think Frost was great, especially against that lot, but clearly and obviously he's a defender and there's a whole lot to work with there. 

Max's best is better than any ruckman in the comp. Goldstein doesn't ruck like him and Naitanui doesn't use the ball like him. 

Vince must wish he could play Collingwood every week. 

Not sure if Petracca or a young Ox. 

Viney is an animal. A softy softy glove wearing animal. 

Loved Kent and Kennedy"s games. Just need to get Jeff back in form to join them. 

As happy as I am and as enjoyable as it was, apart from Collingwood's early pressure, they were [censored] woeful. 

Edited by Deestroy All
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Song Formerly Known As said:

Yes, but he meant it as he knew that he wild be triple teamed with Witts inclusion. 

I read that as witts is playing and im going to have a big day, meaning he really is no good. Which he wasnt in the end. Ok so he did mean it the right way.

By the way How good was that mark Hogan took in front of Howe. Loved it. I reckon Howe thought he had the sit. By the way Howe are u enjoying your new club where you are losing and your coach is under constant scrutiny. Bet you thought you would be relieved of that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Reverend said:

You are doomed to a life of misery if you can't find some joy in beating the Pies on QB.

Let's face it, he's just an attention seeking tosspot, and it worked ;-)

• Like 1

haven't beaten them twince in a season since 88 - when, funnily enough, we beat them three times in a season of football!

i was super happy with the way it all played out today.

we started like a house on fire, couldn't put it on the board, they got momentum for ten minutes, it evened out for the last quarter, and from the push-and-shove onwards we were absolutely dominant. it was so good to watch.

i thought conditions were really tough out there - super swirly wind.

gawn is a colossus. if he's not better than goldstein, he's close.

vince and jones wasted possession early on but settled into their groove, tyson and viney were excellent, i thought kennedy was really quiet early but as the game moved on he started bobbing up everywhere - had more marks than any other player on the ground. he just kept running.

probably my biggest disappointment was the crowd - i had hoped it might approach 70k - we fell 10k short. there was 65k there last time we played them, when it was their home ground i think?

• Like 1

Clearly, I love watching the boys go around on Tele and talking rubbish with the rest of you but there's nothing like being at the 'G' and hearing the roar when we're playing exciting football.

That said, I reckon MFC supporters are still the most placid bunch I've heard at a ground.

Get your mongrel on guys!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, McQueen said:

Clearly, I love watching the boys go around on Tele and talking rubbish with the rest of you but there's nothing like being at the 'G' and hearing the roar when we're playing exciting football.

That said, I reckon MFC supporters are still the most placid bunch I've heard at a ground.

Get your mongrel on guys!

Now Now Steve I think you are getting a little excited my man.

I think a few "well done boys " each match is quite sufficient.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Buckley mentioned Wagner in his presser as someone who killed them with his disposal.

I was surprised to see quite a few posters Picking on Wagners disposal and composure. He is really starting to feel his way and I get a sense of calm when he has the ball in his hands. He seems to be an inspired signing. Was it Vanders who put us into this guy? 

• Like 1