How many wins will we end up with in 2016

junk

At season's start I thought 10..and absolute signs of improvement.

I struggle to see us winning more than 8 now and our game is like snakes and ladders....some things better , others WORSE overall...still mediocre.

Going nowhere fast unless something manifestly  changes :mellow:

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I'm not deluded.  All I said was that I wouldn't put it past us to cause ONE upset.  There is every chance we won't do it, but we've had a real dip against some good teams this year (Hawthorn, Adelaide) and we seem to rise to those challenges much better than against teams at around the same level.

I would change my mind and say we have improved if we manage to beat one of Hawks, Adelaide, Geelong or a still alive Port on the cusp of the finals. I don't think it will happen because stirring upsets against teams that want and need to win does not seem to be in our DNA. That is the bench mark I apply to acknowledge  improvement. Just effing beat a team that plays to win and not just the cheap wins against poor teams that have issues and distractions.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, praha said:

8 wins would be a disaster.

1. Club had aimed to make finals.

2. Roos' last season.

3. Haven't won more than 8 games in a season since 2006.

4. Continue to lose at Etihad and against Saints, North, Hawks, Eagles in Perth, etc etc

My "pass" is 10. Nine wins would earn a "participation" award but not much else. We should already be on 9 wins but we're stuck in neutral beating crap teams and getting pounded by teams around us on the ladder. 

Yesterday's loss and the Essendon loss just make me so angry. 

Just out of interest, why is it that you see such a big difference between 9 wins and 10 wins?

In neither situation do we make finals. In both situations it's the most number of wins we've had since 2006. In both situations we had humiliating losses to Essendon and St Kilda twice.

Why is there so much importance on that 10th win? 

3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Just out of interest, why is it that you see such a big difference between 9 wins and 10 wins?

In neither situation do we make finals. In both situations it's the most number of wins we've had since 2006. In both situations we had humiliating losses to Essendon and St Kilda twice.

Thinking you may wish to reread.

You appear to have missed the gist. 

Maybe you haven't. If you do... reread. Please inform

6 hours ago, america de cali said:

I would change my mind and say we have improved if we manage to beat one of Hawks, Adelaide, Geelong or a still alive Port on the cusp of the finals. I don't think it will happen because stirring upsets against teams that want and need to win does not seem to be in our DNA. That is the bench mark I apply to acknowledge  improvement. Just effing beat a team that plays to win and not just the cheap wins against poor teams that have issues and distractions.

Amen to that..

Round 22 1990 was the last time i can remember us playing like that AND they followed it up a week later. 

8 hours ago, america de cali said:

We basically cost Geelong a spot in the finals last year. Also beat the Tigers (5th) and Doggies (6th). In 2014 we beat Adelaide in Adelaide.

55 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

yeah but we stuffed it up the next week or so.

1990 was up for grabs............ and we missed it :(

15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Out of Petrol mate

8 Quarters against that Whorethorn side was almost worth a flag

And it's now 2016, 26 years later. Time to move on, guys.

10 is what I said before and I'll stick with it, but we'll have to win the two "expected wins" (GC and Blues) and pull one out of the box big time. I've lost count how many times losses against the saints have equaled lost opportunity. 

I said anything less than 10 wins was a failed season and, lo and behold, with utterly embarrassing losses to the Saints twice, Essendon, even Port in the Alice, that has held true.

Not good enough and the coaching group have a lot to answer.

I think we're still good enough to win 3/the last 6. It's been a tough season. We really had a great chance to place ourselves as a contender in the first few rounds but I think after the first Saints game our hopes diminished greatly. We've had a fair few games where we've been within reach at the start of the final quarter and lost quite comfortably.  

Realistically, the ladder perfectly reflects where we are at. Our only loss against a team sitting below us was the Essendon anomaly. The only win against a team above us was the GWS anomaly (I say anomaly because it was round one and they were missing Cameron and also arguably their most important mid - and have subsequently proven themselves to be a far superior side this year).

So aside from anomalies in rounds 1 and 2, we've actually been extremely predictable overall and, on that basis, I'd say we will win 2 more against GCS and Carlton to finish on 9 wins. We are highly unlikely to beat any of the other 4 teams who are competing for a spot in the finals and, at this point in time are just better than us. Even Port. Our skills and decision making are still sub-standard which, despite markedly improved work at the contest this year, leaves us short against good teams in pressure situations.

A few weeks ago I was pretty downbeat about the prospect of 9 wins, however I think we are clearly one of the better sides outside the eight and with a really young list which leaves us in a pretty good position to launch (like GWS have this year). Next year, if we can leapfrog the saints and port we are a serious chance to push for finals which going forward has to be 100% the minimum standard. 

• Like 1

I almost stopped being interested after Sunday's effort. Every year seems to bring a game that breaks my heart and Sunday was it for this year. I have little faith that we can win another game but like a desperate addict I may go back for more punishment.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

It's to do with the fact that we should be on 9 wins as it stands. We should have beaten Essendon, and should have beaten St Kilda once. There's not much difference, my point being that I set 10 as a pass mark at the start of the season, and it's staying there.

• Like 2

Probably 9 wins but we may get to 10 wins ... the consensus from many here in the pre-season was 9-10 wins so the initial expectations are probably going to be fulfilled.

The issue is that when reality sets in, we're dissatisfied and we want more ... not many are truly satisfied with an 8,  9 or 10 win season.  Not many ever are.  It just means another season where we don't figure in the finals.  We move the goalposts to suit our mood.  The St Kilda loss snuffed out any chance of a finals berth - therefore, the disappointment with that loss was more profound.  We got our hopes up and those hopes were dashed.

I will be satisfied with a 9 or 10 win season as long as we give a good account of ourselves in all our remaining games - we can't put the cue in the rack.  We've taken it up to the best sides on a constant basis (save for the Swans game) and that's been the most pleasing aspect of the season.   We're making real progress but we're not a finals side yet. 

Again, we still need to finish the season off well.  I want to see the players have excellent levels of effort, energy, application and a will-to-win when there is nothing to play for.  Do that and it will hold us in good stead heading into next season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Radar Detector said:

Realistically, the ladder perfectly reflects where we are at. Our only loss against a team sitting below us was the Essendon anomaly. The only win against a team above us was the GWS anomaly (I say anomaly because it was round one and they were missing Cameron and also arguably their most important mid - and have subsequently proven themselves to be a far superior side this year).

So aside from anomalies in rounds 1 and 2, we've actually been extremely predictable overall and, on that basis, I'd say we will win 2 more against GCS and Carlton to finish on 9 wins. We are highly unlikely to beat any of the other 4 teams who are competing for a spot in the finals and, at this point in time are just better than us. Even Port. Our skills and decision making are still sub-standard which, despite markedly improved work at the contest this year, leaves us short against good teams in pressure situations.

A few weeks ago I was pretty downbeat about the prospect of 9 wins, however I think we are clearly one of the better sides outside the eight and with a really young list which leaves us in a pretty good position to launch (like GWS have this year). Next year, if we can leapfrog the saints and port we are a serious chance to push for finals which going forward has to be 100% the minimum standard. 

Having our best win for the entire season coming in round 1 is a strong statement for failure over the entire season. Just shows we have gone backwards.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 2

10 wins was my pass mark at the start of the season. 7 last year was a pass. I doubt we will get to 10 this year though. We SHOULD beat GC & Carlton to make it 9 & I honestly think thats a failure. When you take into account we've beaten sides we should have.. Collingwoood twice & Richmond both whom we beat last year. GC in the middle of their form slump. Brisbane the worse side since us in the Neeld years. We got the Giants at the right time. Last year we beat the Dogs & Cats which were good wins... Unless we knock off a good side in the run home I wont be all that happy with this season.

The one thing I will give them credit for is the 10 goal + losses are gone & we have been more exciting to watch & play a quicker brand of footy.. IF we had of beaten Essendon & St.Kilda once and sat on 9 wins atm I'd be happy, obviously thats not the case...

Edited by JV7

9 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Out of Petrol mate

8 Quarters against that Whorethorn side was almost worth a flag

SWYL you seem to forget we had a bonus week off due to the WC Coll draw

3 hours ago, loges said:

SWYL you seem to forget we had a bonus week off due to the WC Coll draw

I remember that well mate

i also spoke to Dermott about it a couple of years ago. And he said after that Elimination Final we had given everything. Hawthorn were a hell of a side back then (still are!!) 8 Quarters was an incredible effort after the 88 debacle. 

Northey's greatest achievement. Sadly it gifted the Filth. 

They regularly shat themselves against Hawthorn back then

13 hours ago, Ricky P said:

I still reckon we'll get our 10. I think we'll beat GC and Carlton and one more. I actually reckon we're a chance this week - West Coast are pretenders.

You are joking Ricky I assume.

The loss streak to the WCE in Perth must be as long as the saints record and they are a better side than the Saints.

Mentally this team has lost this game before they get on the plane.

There would not be one  player at the MFC that in their hearts believes they can win this game any more than the thought they could last weekend.

The result will be similar but with a wider margin.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I remember that well mate

i also spoke to Dermott about it a couple of years ago. And he said after that Elimination Final we had given everything. Hawthorn were a hell of a side back then (still are!!) 8 Quarters was an incredible effort after the 88 debacle. 

Northey's greatest achievement. Sadly it gifted the Filth. 

They regularly shat themselves against Hawthorn back then

Remains my greatest MFC disappointment 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, btdemon said:

I almost stopped being interested after Sunday's effort. Every year seems to bring a game that breaks my heart and Sunday was it for this year. I have little faith that we can win another game but like a desperate addict I may go back for more punishment.

I said after the Essendon loss that this team, this club, has lost my trust......two more losses to the mediocre Saints only reinforces my heartbreak.

Complain all you like about lack of loyalty, but I have followed this club for 60+ years and am absolutely gutted by these repeated losses against teams we should beat, easily.

• Like 2