How many wins will we end up with in 2016

junk

9 hours ago, ding said:

My attitude is born from 10 years of utter junk and i am entitled to it.

We are still very overrated until we start bringing home the bacon regularly. Not 1 big upset per season against a contender, and a few wins against rubbish teams. Our credibility was shot when we let the Druggies beat us.

I say 2 wins, you say 4.

Lets compare notes at seasons end. (Hope you are right)

The one thing you're not factoring in is the quality of the competition, which is very ordinary.  There are not many great sides and there's not one we couldn't beat on a given day.

Outside of GWS I have zero doubt our youth is the best in the competition.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ProDee said:

The one thing you're not factoring in is the quality of the competition, which is very ordinary.  There are not many great sides and there's not one we couldn't beat on a given day.

Outside of GWS I have zero doubt our youth is the best in the competition.

Exactly. The creation of GCS and GWS and their excessive access to talent has robbed the rest of the competition. Except, we were down when they were and have managed to build from the draft too. But everyone else? Not so much.

I think a bunch of teams are going to fall off a cliff in the next 1-3 years. North, Hawthorn, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond at least. While the QLD teams are in dire strife over the next 3 years. And who knows about Collingwood.

Edited by AdamPleb

11 minutes ago, AdamPleb said:

Exactly. The creation of GCS and GWS and their excessive access to talent has robbed the rest of the competition. Except, we were down when they were and have managed to build from the draft too. But everyone else? Not so much.

I think a bunch of teams are going to fall off a cliff in the next 1-3 years. North, Hawthorn, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond at least. While the QLD teams are in dire strife over the next 3 years. And who knows about Collingwood.

I agree with just about all of that. I rate some of our kids very very highly, and we are perhaps only a couple of free agent/trades away from a great list. Sadly none of that makes me confident about the rest of this year.

When do we stop saying " maybe next year" ? Has been a problem for over a decade now.

• Like 4

Our problem for greater success in the future could be based on what the AFL is going to do to help GCS and Brisbane in regards to assistance (money and/or draft picks).Personally I would let GCS go thou the club colors might be good to attract the Chinese market. I am sad to see other club as weak or strong as us beat top 8/4 sides. St.kilda,Collingwood and Carlton all have beaten Geelong. Richmond beat the Swans. When is it our turn? Once again it is frustrating being a Dee supporter. We ended up with a  weak draw ( an afl tanking tool) and still we failed to beat junk sides. It is a good thing for us that we didn't get to play the drug cheats twice this year.

3 hours ago, ENYAW said:

After the Adelaide loss and the fact that we cannot win home games that we choose to play elsewhere,I would say we will not win another match,we have too many "z" graders.

Good to see some positivity ? we will win next week

Must WIN games against Dockers and Saints. If we don't, I think max.8 wins this year which is an underachievement.

Min 9 wins required this year.

Dockers have about 7 missing of their best 22. Demons need to win in Darwin.

Saints have consistently beaten the Demons and MFC needs to break through for a win against them.  

• Like 1

We've got 4 left we should win. Freo, Saints, Suns, blues. I reckon we'll win 3 of those.

And we've got 4 tough ones. WC away, Hawks, Port away, Geelong away. I reckon we'll sneak one of those.

So 10 wins all up. Finals next year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2016 at 11:41 PM, Wiseblood said:

Not angry, just can't believe the defeatist attitude.  

We are win with a shot, and can beat, quite a number of sides in the final 9 rounds.  Gold Coast, Carlton and Fremantle are games we should win.  We are in with a chance against Port, Adelaide (because it's at the G) and the Saints (don't give me the Etihad stuff, they're beatable).  To me, we can put at least 4 more wins on the board and finish with 10 for the season.

Still think we will win 10? If so who do you see us beating?

I missed on Freo, but i would still bank on being closer to the mark with my prediction. 

Confident against the Suns, but after today thats the only other win i am confident about. Anything else would be a big upset, as even Carlton will surely start strong favorites.

Today was a massive kick in the guts for the majority of MFC supporters.

Edited by ding
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ding said:

Still think we will win 10? If so who do you see us beating?

I missed on Freo, but i would still bank on being closer to the mark with my prediction. 

Confident against the Suns, but after today thats the only other win i am confident about. Anything else would be a big upset, as even Carlton will surely start strong favorites.

Today was a massive kick in the guts for the majority of MFC supporters.

Gold Coast and Carlton are big chances for a win. We may not get 10 now, but we will still win a few before the season is out. 

6 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

(from an earlier post) We are in with a chance against Port, Adelaide (because it's at the G) and the Saints (don't give me the Etihad stuff, they're beatable).  

Gold Coast and Carlton are big chances for a win. We may not get 10 now, but we will still win a few before the season is out. 

Nope, and Nope. Didn't win, again.

A "few" is 3 or more. That would take us to 10 wins plus. You can still see this happening?

Zero wins for the rest of the year. We're hopeless. Carlton have gone past us and West Coast will beat us by 150. We haven't improved one iota.

Sorry guys, just testing out what it felt like to do a post like this. Feels a bit yucky actually. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Zero wins for the rest of the year. We're hopeless. Carlton have gone past us and West Coast will beat us by 150. We haven't improved one iota.

Sorry guys, just testing out what it felt like to do a post like this. Feels a bit yucky actually. 

We can win every game, so 6 more wins, if we just turn up at 100%. We have improved so much, and the guys have just been super unlucky.

Edited by faultydet

7 minutes ago, faultydet said:

We can win every game, so 5 more wins, if we just turn up at 100%. We have improved so much, and the guys have just been super unlucky.

Equally nauseating in both directions I reckon faulty. 

I do reckon it's hard to be objective when you're still furious over a poor loss though, and many start focusing on the worst case scenario, when the range of possibilities is much greater than that. Yes, the positivity goes in to overdrive after good wins too.

I just struggle to relate to forecasts of doom that don't at all reflect the trajectory of our season at all, and I did truly not enjoy the surge of negative emotions I felt when I did that post.

• Like 1

Just now, Nasher said:

Equally nauseating in both directions I reckon faulty. 

I do reckon it's hard to be objective when you're still furious over a poor loss though, and many start focusing on the worst case scenario, when the range of possibilities is much greater than that. Yes, the positivity goes in to overdrive after good wins too.

I just struggle to relate to forecasts of doom that don't at all reflect the trajectory of our season at all, and I did truly not enjoy the surge of negative emotions I felt when I did that post.

Exactly.

I understand where people are coming from after a loss - all of a sudden half of our players don't seem up to it, too many are out of form, gameplan doesn't work etc.

The truth is that we have improved and we have 6 weeks now to add a few more wins.  Will we get to 10?  It's a bit of a stretch, but we have both GC and Carlton at the G which are extremely winnable games, while I still won't put it past our side to cause 1 upset out of the final 4 games.  Going 3-3 in these final 6 games and ending up with 10 wins is something for the team to aim for.

All year I've thought minimum 9 and haven't changed that view.

I'm still ok with where we're at, but yesterday was very disappointing after a promising start.

We still lack midfield talent.  I'd play Oliver and Stretch for the rest of the year instead of Matt Jones and Grimes, who are clearly not the future.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Exactly.

I understand where people are coming from after a loss - all of a sudden half of our players don't seem up to it, too many are out of form, gameplan doesn't work etc.

The truth is that we have improved and we have 6 weeks now to add a few more wins.  Will we get to 10?  It's a bit of a stretch, but we have both GC and Carlton at the G which are extremely winnable games, while I still won't put it past our side to cause 1 upset out of the final 4 games.  Going 3-3 in these final 6 games and ending up with 10 wins is something for the team to aim for.

We have little chance of upsetting one of the other four games. That is the stuff for those that continue to dream and delude themselves. Those sides have plenty of incentive to win at the business end of the season.  Our best and very slim chance is if Port drop out of contention when we get around to play them. Carlton have the same contempt for us as the Saints have and another likely humiliating loss. I only see a win against the Suns which puts us in line for 8 wins as I said a couple of months ago.  While our playing list has improved on paper, not much else has. I just dont see the mental fibre in the players to take us out 3 and 3.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 4

8 wins would be a disaster.

1. Club had aimed to make finals.

2. Roos' last season.

3. Haven't won more than 8 games in a season since 2006.

4. Continue to lose at Etihad and against Saints, North, Hawks, Eagles in Perth, etc etc

My "pass" is 10. Nine wins would earn a "participation" award but not much else. We should already be on 9 wins but we're stuck in neutral beating crap teams and getting pounded by teams around us on the ladder. 

Yesterday's loss and the Essendon loss just make me so angry. 

• Like 3

On 6/13/2016 at 8:51 PM, Meggs said:

Seven wins as i stated earlier in the year

Our team is too fragile and poorly coached to show any real improvement

Just when you think they have "Got it" they put in a performance like Sunday

Next week looms as the killer blow to the season I fear

Just now, america de cali said:

We have little chance of upsetting one of the other four games. That is the stuff for those that continue to dream and delude themselves. Those sides have plenty of incentive to win at the business end of the season.  Our best and very slim chance is if Port drop out of contention when we get around to play them. Carlton have the same contempt for us as the Saints have and another likely humiliating loss. I only see a win against the Suns which puts us in line for 8 wins as I said a couple of months ago.  While our playing list has improved on paper, not much else has. I just dont see the mental fibre in the players to take us out 3 and 3.

I'm not deluded.  All I said was that I wouldn't put it past us to cause ONE upset.  There is every chance we won't do it, but we've had a real dip against some good teams this year (Hawthorn, Adelaide) and we seem to rise to those challenges much better than against teams at around the same level.

When we show up with our best 22 playing their best footy, I’d argue we are a shot at beating any of the teams (except St. Kilda at Etihad – I don’t know what is, but they’re just too good there and we just play [censored]). The problem for Melbourne this year is consistency and that is likely a result of youth and so inexperience.

I think we will finish off with 9, possibly 10 wins this season and though this does not seem like an extraordinary improvement from the previous year, we have unquestionably made significant progress this year. Look at how we played against Adelaide, who in my opinion should be on top of the ladder right now had they not been robbed of their win against Hawthorn earlier in the year. Give us another 1-2 years and we will have hopefully acquired the consistency we need to build a campaign for finals. On top of that, if we recruit a strong defender before next season, we will definitely see an even better side than the one this year and it will allow us to let players like Oscar McDonald develop in the VFL and eventually reach the same potential his brother Tom has reached.

No doubt we are a team to look out for over the next few years, but our main priority should be ensuring we sign on our big players like Watts, Hogan and T. Mac because if we start losing players like them, that is when we might see some hindrance in our progress.

Yesterday was disappointing, but does not truly reflect our ability and progress this season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I think we'll still get our 10 wins. I always felt we'd lose a game or two we were expected to win and win a game or two we were expected to lose. 

• Like 3