C: Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver
HF: Jack Watts, Aaron vandenBerg, James Harmes
F: Dean Kent, Jesse Hogan, Ben Kennedy
Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
I/C (from): Lynden Dunn, Billy Stretch, Sam Frost, Josh Wagner
Emg: Cameron Pedersen, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jack Grimes
In: Lynden Dunn, Sam Frost, Josh Wagner, Billy Stretch
Out: Jeff Garlett (ankle), Colin Garland, Angus Brayshaw, Cameron Pedersen

Dunn and Wagner to cover the back line and frost to cover forward and Ruck The rest to run their collective nuts off and tackle everything in sight with a ball.

What nuts?

Looking at this team it will be interesting to see how the coaching team play this.

In defence I think we look a little short but, given the way our defence went last week with some of the contests we ended up watching, it would be a continuation of the way we play. expect to see Bugg on Waite at some stage. May need Frost back there at some stage and Watts as a loose man during the last 5 of each quarter.

In the forwards I think we will still have some firepower to kick a score even without Garlett. We need to be a bit smarter than we were last week and get the ball in quicker and leave a bit of room for Hogan to work in.

Between the arcs I would crowd it as much as possible with Kent, Harmes, vandenBerg and even kennedy draiging their defenders up into the area as they rotate through. Crowd the midfield and do not let Norf get an easy ball.

May line up like this on Sunday

B: Jetta, McDonald,  Bugg
HB: Lumumba, Dunn  Salem
C: Vince, Tyson, Oliver
HF:vandenBerg, Watts,  Harmes
F: Kent, Hogan,  Kennedy
Foll: Gawn, N Jones, Viney
I/C : M Jones, Stretch, Frost, Wagner

With Jeffie out Kennedy and Kent will really have to step up with their forward pressure. Kent in particular has been very poor and given how everyone was pumping up his tyres pre-season that is very disappointing. 

I'm not going in with much confidence at all, Jeffie is one of our most important players as he adds an air of unpredictability, but if things click there are players that can give the Roos some headaches. 

Gawn needs a big one, he got embarrassed last week which was thoroughly disappointing. 

I want us to be in the game at 3 quarter time, make it worth the trip for the idiots (like me) going down to watch it!

• Nasher unpinned this topic

I've unpinned this, as I think people seem to tune out of the pinned topics and it is being missed.

Anyway, I've got night shift before the match so I'll be an exhausted zombie, I have crap seats, the weather is meant to be ordinary, the team selection makes no sense and I'm still in a god damn bad mood with the MFC after last week.  The only variable that make things better is if the team plays good on the day.  It's all in your hands, MFC!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I've unpinned this, as I think people seem to tune out of the pinned topics and it is being missed.

Anyway, I've got night shift before the match so I'll be an exhausted zombie, I have crap seats, the weather is meant to be ordinary, the team selection makes so sense and I'm in a god damn bad mood with the MFC still after last week.  The only variable that make things better is if the team plays good on the day.  It's all in your hands, MFC!

Must be tough being a moderator and die hard supporter at times like is. Must be texting going immoderate.

Edited by america de cali

8 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Was wondering where the match preview thread was

4 hours ago, bing181 said:

Garlett out. Explains in part why Kent kept his place.

In part?  Surely it can be the  soul explanation. 

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Anyway, I've got night shift before the match so I'll be an exhausted zombie, I have crap seats, the weather is meant to be ordinary, the team selection makes so sense and I'm still in a god damn bad mood with the MFC after last week.  The only variable that make things better is if the team plays good on the day.  It's all in your hands, MFC!

Well at least the transition from tired and frustrated to angry and disappointed will be a smooth and easy one.  Silver linings. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

In the now closed Changes v North thread some posters have said that because a player is named in the starting 18, they will definitely be playing. Conversely, the three players who will miss out from the current 25 will all come from those named on the bench. Is that actually a rule? And is it factually correct that the final three omitted always come from those named on the bench?

No, not at all. It's happened before where a player listed to line up on the ground hasn't made the team on the day. In fact, it happened at least once or twice last year.

6 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

No, not at all. It's happened before where a player listed to line up on the ground hasn't made the team on the day. In fact, it happened at least once or twice last year.

I'm pretty sure it is true, but like you, I have no evidence other than "I'm pretty sure...".  I hereby delegate you the task of keeping track of this every time we play on a Sunday this year.  Enjoy :) 

Ed: if it's not a strict rule, it's generally a good enough rule of thumb to go by in any case.  

7 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

I think they have to be genuinely injured don't they? 

8 hours ago, P-man said:

It's a horrible fixture to come after such a bad loss. On paper it's a belting, which usually results in a belting. Demonland could explode this weekend.

Hopefully the boys can rally and play like their life depends on it. That's what will be required to even get close.

Nothing less should be, mate. These players embarrassed our football club last week. They owe the club and supporters a solid showing. Anything else is simply not good enough. 

6 hours ago, Peter Griffen said:

I really think Jesse Hogan will respond very strongly this weekend, we may not win, but i think he'll remind everyone how good he is.

So do I. Pedersen out of his forwardline, as predicted, should help this. Providing, of course, we don't play Frost in his way.

6 hours ago, Seraph said:

So much for Misson saying Garlett would play 2 days ago. 

He implied Jeffy wasn't an absolute certainty to train on Friday, but somehow managed to ensure Matt Burgan that he'd definitely play on the weekend. It always seemed a little weird, because if he wasn't going to train properly at full strength, surely you wouldn't risk him. Anyway, Misson and the FD have a bit of a track record of pretty much just lying on what was DeeTV, now MelbourneTV.

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

God help us if Frost plays up forward.

I seriously don't know what the FD are thinking if he lines up anywhere else but full back.

4 hours ago, CHF said:

Up on the club website

Melbourne team: round three
B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Tomas Bugg
HB: Matt Jones, Heritier Lumumba, Christian Salem
C: Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver
HF: Jack Watts, Aaron vandenBerg, James Harmes
F: Dean Kent, Jesse Hogan, Ben Kennedy
Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
I/C (from): Lynden Dunn, Billy Stretch, Sam Frost, Josh Wagner
Emg: Cameron Pedersen, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jack Grimes
In: Lynden Dunn, Sam Frost, Josh Wagner, Billy Stretch
Out: Jeff Garlett (ankle), Colin Garland, Angus Brayshaw, Cameron Pedersen

Dunn and Wagner to cover the back line and frost to cover forward and Ruck The rest to run their collective nuts off and tackle everything in sight with a ball.

Interesting that ANB made the emergencies after all that.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I'm pretty sure it is true, but like you, I have no evidence other than "I'm pretty sure...".  I hereby delegate you the task of keeping track of this every time we play on a Sunday this year.  Enjoy :) 

Ed: if it's not a strict rule, it's generally a good enough rule of thumb to go by in any case.  

Haha, you're right. I don't have a specific example to point to. I shall keep an eye on this for the rest of the season. :P

11 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I think they have to be genuinely injured don't they? 

As far as I'm aware, the club can make this change during the week (ie Friday) without injury, but just can't change it on the day.

22 minutes ago, AdamFarr said:

Nothing less should be, mate. These players embarrassed our football club last week. They owe the club and supporters a solid showing. Anything else is simply not good enough. 

So do I. Pedersen out of his forwardline, as predicted, should help this. Providing, of course, we don't play Frost in his way.

He implied Jeffy wasn't an absolute certainty to train on Friday, but somehow managed to ensure Matt Burgan that he'd definitely play on the weekend. It always seemed a little weird, because if he wasn't going to train properly at full strength, surely you wouldn't risk him. Anyway, Misson and the FD have a bit of a track record of pretty much just lying on what was DeeTV, now MelbourneTV.

I seriously don't know what the FD are thinking if he lines up anywhere else but full back.

Interesting that ANB made the emergencies after all that.

Will be interesting to see who does not play for the Scorps tomorrow night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bing181 said:

Garlett out. Explains in part why Kent kept his place.

If his game is anything like last weeks, he will need lots of pace to chase his opponent's tail all day who will be racking up the possessions.

4 Uncontested possies, 3 clangers for a net gain of 1 effective disposal last week. Oh, and 1 tackle.

One of the worst games i've ever seen by an MFC player in over 40 years of watching. He could just about do anything he likes from here and still get a game. Put your feet up and relax Kenty....you got this!!

spike_cigar.gif

• Like 5

5 hours ago, picket fence said:

And this is exactly the bullsheet that this club continues to put out!

This is partially why I dedicated another thread ( You cannot be serious) which the mods merged with the changes vs Nth which has now been locked!

Ok lets start

1 Misson said Garlett was Ok . In fact he is extremely doubtful! Don't say anything like he's right when clearly large doubts remain! This is bad PR

2 Wagner gets a game on no form at Casey

3 ANB plays well in consecutive weeks and is overlooked!

4 Players such as Tom Mc Donald continue to make the same errors which can comprimise a game and still keeps his place

5 Lamumba runs in more concetric circles than Gary " Crazy Horse" Cowton and is lacking affectiveness because of it

6 We Drop Frost for 1 then reinstate him next week!

7 Dunn should have played last week and the coaching panel admit error

8 The coach said we were tired last week< tired??? It is week 2

9 I wonder if the coaches are already feeling the heat in view of the shock loss and have gone into "Bikini" mode I.E cover yer ass!

10 The fact we had a shock loss last week shouldn't be a shock at all because we have players who think a win is worth breaking out the popcorn and cactus coolers thinking we have just won a Premiership!

11 I stiil say Weeds and Petracca need to play in the next week or two! a story worth repeating is  Noel Mc Mahon ringing Al Flower requesting that Rob be allowed to play in the senior team at age 17. Alan Flower at first refussed citing that in his view Rob was too skinny and slight and that he was worried about him getting knocked around. Noel Mc Mahons philosophy was try him and see how he goes and if not ready put him back till he matures and no harm done. It is now legend that Rob Flower went on and played evry available game and neever got dropped to the 2s. Are we becoming too precious with our players??

I think the coaching Fraternity are already in somewhat of dishevelment. I hope that we can give a good account of ourselves this Sunday, but given how poor we were last week and given similar personel I cannot see it.

We are all too easily pleased! Time to break out of the maelstrom and get into hard line breaking footy at all costs!

End of RANT!

Don't stop ranting till we finally start winning and put a decent season in Picket. We need more rockets! How the hell does a club come out on the back foot against a dad's army put together only 6 weeks ago and play such pea hearted footy?

My problem with the club is the way we start matches. My concern is not with the less exepreinced guys but more with the way some of our more senior players play such dumb, error ridden football (still), which ends up gifting turnovers, shots on goal and goals to our opposition on a fairly regular basis. Would have to be a little deflating to moral and inflating our opponents confidence giving them incentive to push harder. This was a major factor in the Bombers getting up last week IMO.

Last week's opening quarter was riddled with turnovers by our more senior player's skill & decision making errors. This included Jonesy (twice), Garland, Tmac (twice), Lumumba (choosing the wrong handball options during or at the end of a run on 2 occasions) and Matty (hospital handball to Lumumba). All starting with TMacs's insanely idiotic decision to play on from a Matty jones short pass (with the score at 0.2 - 0.0 at about the 3 minute mark of the 1st), deciding for some mad reason to switch to a fat side that wasn't a fat side at all, eventually kicking it straight to an opponent. Then there was Tyson's fumble of a gift handball from Viney at the opening of the 2nd quarter which resulted in a quick tumble kick to Stokes and a goal within a minute or so of the opening bounce (just one example). Timing of his runs at center bounces...way off. Some mistakes by the younger brigade also but expected to a higher degree given their lack of experience.

Roos is doing some good work no doubt and we appear to be finally improving our recruiting act but where's the match day performances/intensity/ferocity from the opening bounce? Port brought that tonight and walloped Essendon with Daniher hardly sighted! Sick of playing catch up footy. Wasting energy also with players chasing tail all the time. Hec now i know why we are tired!!

9 hours ago, P-man said:

It's a horrible fixture to come after such a bad loss. On paper it's a belting, which usually results in a belting. Demonland could explode this weekend.

Hopefully the boys can rally and play like their life depends on it. That's what will be required to even get close.

I don't get this thinking. We're playing North FFS not 2008 Geelong. If we play with desire and effort we'll have a chance.

If we play like last week we'll get smashed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't get this thinking. We're playing North FFS not 2008 Geelong. If we play with desire and effort we'll have a chance.

If we play like last week we'll get smashed.

There is a vast difference in age and games experience, and if ever that team was going to challenge for a flag, I believe it is to be this year. Their record in Tassie in particular is enviable.

I may be overstating a little but I do believe we'll have to be at our absolute best and/or them to be a fair distance from their best to get a result.

9 hours ago, Nasher said:

Anyway, I've got night shift before the match so I'll be an exhausted zombie, I have crap seats, the weather is meant to be ordinary, the team selection makes no sense and I'm still in a god damn bad mood with the MFC after last week.  The only variable that make things better is if the team plays good on the day.  It's all in your hands, MFC!

I'm very sorry that you get to see a game so rarely and this is the crap that is coming your way 

I finally find myself at a good hotel with awesome Internet, but I'm not going to waste money and sleeping hours to watch the match as I am more than certain that we will lose. 

Cant even fathom these team changes. Or why Mission promised us that Garlett will play. Wtf was the point of that?! Also how can ANB not get a game but Wagner does? Nothing against Wagner, but how about rewarding good form?! 

I am just beyond frustrated right now with this club. Hopefully they put on a decent enough showing on Sunday to make me believe that we aren't forever hopeless. 

For those slamming Misson for his comments re. Garlett as well as the selection committee for taking in underdone players last week - maybe Jeff isn't too bad and would have ordinarily played but the selectors are now enforcing a stricter standard of fitness. Like you've been calling out for.

7 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Don't stop ranting till we finally start winning and put a decent season in Picket. We need more rockets! How the hell does a club come out on the back foot against a dad's army put together only 6 weeks ago and play such pea hearted footy?

My problem with the club is the way we start matches. My concern is not with the less exepreinced guys but more with the way some of our more senior players play such dumb, error ridden football (still), which ends up gifting turnovers, shots on goal and goals to our opposition on a fairly regular basis. Would have to be a little deflating to moral and inflating our opponents confidence giving them incentive to push harder. This was a major factor in the Bombers getting up last week IMO.

Last week's opening quarter was riddled with turnovers by our more senior player's skill & decision making errors. This included Jonesy (twice), Garland, Tmac (twice), Lumumba (choosing the wrong handball options during or at the end of a run on 2 occasions) and Matty (hospital handball to Lumumba). All starting with TMacs's insanely idiotic decision to play on from a Matty jones short pass (with the score at 0.2 - 0.0 at about the 3 minute mark of the 1st), deciding for some mad reason to switch to a fat side that wasn't a fat side at all, eventually kicking it straight to an opponent. Then there was Tyson's fumble of a gift handball from Viney at the opening of the 2nd quarter which resulted in a quick tumble kick to Stokes and a goal within a minute or so of the opening bounce (just one example). Timing of his runs at center bounces...way off. Some mistakes by the younger brigade also but expected to a higher degree given their lack of experience.

Roos is doing some good work no doubt and we appear to be finally improving our recruiting act but where's the match day performances/intensity/ferocity from the opening bounce? Port brought that tonight and walloped Essendon with Daniher hardly sighted! Sick of playing catch up footy. Wasting energy also with players chasing tail all the time. Hec now i know why we are tired!!

I agree, I used to read the cartoons in the paper first thing in the cafe on a Saturday morning, then onto the sport, I look for Picket's postings instead now, match day thread, nah, just the Doomsday book open at the usual page.....again if we turn up and compete we may win, if we don't we will get beaten.....as for Jeff Garlett, if you have an injury you try and rehabilitate it, obviously the hope was it would be ok, it wasn't, would you prefer Garlett risking it and turning maybe a week into six