Post match Discussion "Fire away"

What

2 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I don't recall you making one peep about Stretch in the leadup. Stop carrying on as if it was obvious; he was never in the frame. As if it would have had a huge impact anyway when the whole midfield played garbage.

Roos comment is obviously in hindsight. He clearly didn't think selecting Brayshaw was an error at the time or he wouldn't have selected him. 

He was named emergency so of course he was in frame.

Fmd

• Like 1

I thought the Coaching was terrible today and I blame the whole box full of them.

Both wings had a loose Bomber at every centre bounce and guess what, they were used to set up the play every time.

Then, as no one knew who was on them, they had loose men all over the ground.

We could have gone man on man at half time, but oh no, these guys are unbending. That and a poor effort from the players cost us this easily winnable game.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 10

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

He was named emergency so of course he was in frame.

Fmd

Were you calling for Stretch to be included on Thursday or Friday when the changes were made?

Clearly we stuffed up, but many of us were happy with the changes at the time, myself included.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

So disgusted..They killed us at every contest. This looked like Melbourne of old, whenever there was a contest the opposition would just weave their way through handballs and we were constantly just trailing them.

Killed us on the spread and were able to transition far easily than us. Every goal we kicked but a couple came as a struggle.

• Like 1

Here I was so excited for a game in my home state, organised tickets with a few of my mates and the missus, talked it up, 'good half against norf last year, will be a cracker with the improvement we've had.' Now I have to watch a team that will have lost belief. Dreading it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, praha said:

King hates Roos. It's not a Melbourne thing. He absolutely loathes Roos' coaching style.

When was the last time we won by more than 6-7 goals? I think against GWS in 2012. We beat them by 80-odd and then by 30+ in the second outing. 2013, 2014, 2015...We have dominated and smashed a team in four years. Out biggest win under Roos has been 39 points. Every other win has been <33 points.

Could be some truth to that. Looking for validation over his call for Roos hand over the reigns to Goodwin this season.

I just couldn't believe him today. It was like Press Red for David.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I thought the Coaching was terrible today and I blame the whole box full of them.

Both wings had a loose Bomber at every centre bounce and guess what, they were used to set up the play every time.

Then, as no one knew who was on them, they had loose men all over the ground.

We could have gone man on man at half time, but oh no, these guys are unbending. That and a poor effort from the players cost us this easily winnable game.

Every single run out of defensive 50 was had them kick the ball in to one side, push the entire playing group up, switch, and then run along the MCC wing. They did it ALL. DAY. That's a coaching issue. It wasn't addressed.

On top of that, they zoned better, and they had better spread.

Today, we would have absolutely smashed them had we been direct, more open and less-defensive minded. They walked around our zone with ease and the players were simply clueless as to how to counter it. Essendon had better positioning all day, and I do think it was a coaching issue. 

Woosha absolutely destroyed Roos today. He made a laughing stock of Roos entire structure and plan.

Edited by praha
  • Like 6

We lost as a team today, not because of coaching moves, not because Dunn was not selected we lost because we did not play as a team, did not do the team things, and were too lazy around the contests. Hogan maybe a great player one day, but at the moment he is a prima donna who goes for a mark the remonstrates with the umpire on why he should have been paid the mark or remonstrates with himself over dropping the ball. He does not chase his opponents and does not apply pressure on the ground.  Kent sadly over rated, he usually runs in and does a couple of things each game to get a goal or two but is way below being a good player. Garlett does some nice things, but too often he has chances to do much more but fluffs them we poor disposals, or just not able to gather simple bouncing balls.  Watts really needs to learn how to pull himself up when down, he just seems to sook like a lot of the other players and give in.

GWS and Essendon both showed how to beat us, run, run, run and spread. Melbourne players will play 10meters off of you looking for cheap turnovers. We don't chase, don't tackle and have no heart. Todays loss is absolutely gut wrenching, yet nothing seemed to show from the players out on the field.  

• Like 2

We have been beaten badly in the past but I was able to accept that the team didn't have the talent and we were beaten by a better team but the players tried even though they were rubbish. Today for the first time in my 40 years of following Melbourne I saw the team give up in the last quarter. To see them actually stop trying is what hurts the most. I cannot accept no effort by a team but that is what we got. 

Sometimes I think Roos is purposefully being stubborn, like as if to teach them a lesson. Like, they have to learn how to win and defend his way.

We would have killed them had we actually played with just a little inkling of attacking flair. We were shown up defensively today. It is a major indictment on Roos.

• Like 2

Hogan's mind is clearly elsewhere. Maybe he's thinking of the millions he'll earn back home in the west. Reminds me of Scully, Howe, Frawley and their efforts in their last years with us. Pathetic. Nobody wants to stay with our hopeless team.

Edited by Diamond
Auto change messed it up
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

We lost as a team today, not because of coaching moves, not because Dunn was not selected we lost because we did not play as a team, did not do the team things, and were too lazy around the contests. Hogan maybe a great player one day, but at the moment he is a prima donna who goes for a mark the remonstrates with the umpire on why he should have been paid the mark or remonstrates with himself over dropping the ball. He does not chase his opponents and does not apply pressure on the ground.  Kent sadly over rated, he usually runs in and does a couple of things each game to get a goal or two but is way below being a good player. Garlett does some nice things, but too often he has chances to do much more but fluffs them we poor disposals, or just not able to gather simple bouncing balls.  Watts really needs to learn how to pull himself up when down, he just seems to sook like a lot of the other players and give in.

GWS and Essendon both showed how to beat us, run, run, run and spread. Melbourne players will play 10meters off of you looking for cheap turnovers. We don't chase, don't tackle and have no heart. Todays loss is absolutely gut wrenching, yet nothing seemed to show from the players out on the field.  

This x 10

19 minutes ago, Coup Cooper said:

Triple M worst votes.

3 Tom McDonald (Towelled up by Daniher.. Again!!)

2 Jack Watts (no tackles)

1 Jack Viney (opposing players had 30+ he had 17 went at 59 percent)

Watts is always an easy target for them. Not even Wayne Carey would have had an impact with such poor delivery inside the 50.

• Like 1

If we play Hogan in the 2's then it will force us to find another avenue to goal.

There are a couple of issues here. Hogan's ego needs to be deflated until he learns to lead and compete and stop acting like a spoilt 5 year old when things don't go his way. The entire team also needs to attend junior football classes until they recognise that continually bombing it long to Hogan in a one on three contest has never worked and it never will. 

After having a good season last year all other teams have now quickly worked out how to stop his supply.

• Like 1

Didn't watch the game but you don't even have the watch us lose games like these to know what's going on. 

Since last year I've said that Hogans attitude stinks. He will never be an elite player unless he grows up. His constant sooking is pathetic and I blame the club for not stamping this out already. I would put him on notice. Give him a target of second efforts he has to achieve or drop him. We can't bloody tip toe around him because we are too scared the first potential star we've had in decades is going to leave. His attitude sends a bad message to the rest of the young team. 

Secondly, I will never understand why we recruited Lumumba. Let alone why we select him ahead of guys like Stretch. We need speed and we need kicking efficiency. Last year Lumumba was god awful and I see that nothing has changed. 

I am so over being disappointed by this club. It feels like nothing will ever change. We make such small steps forward and then undo those steps immediately. It's exhausting. We are exhausting.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Deecisive said:

It doesn't help that our forward line, for whatever reason, is absolutely blogged to the brim. Why did we suddenly find space in the last quarter last week? Why are Jones, Gawn, Vince, Ken, Garlett, Brayshaw, Oliver, Tyson ALL in the forward line we have the ball across half-back? Hogan is spectacular one-on-one, unbeatable. We've seen that. But 9/10 in the first two weeks, the ball has gone to him in a pack. It's a high, long, hospital kick and a "please mark it!" mentality. He's no Joe Daniher. He's a Jakovich. He needs to be one out. I can't understand for the life of me why we have allowed both the Giants and now the Bombers to so easily defend us in a way that makes our forward line so inept.

We have the best young forward in the league, and we're playing this bogged down, slow, incoherent style of stoppage-play that makes it very tough for a guy like Hogan to get involved.

Roos needs to suck it up here and give this team more flexibility. There is no plan B. Either we're "in it", or we get smashed. We were smashed today. Look at the stats. That's a 100-point loss against the Hawks or Eagles.

Edited by praha
  • Like 4

Our two ins gave us nothing. 

Kent was murdered by McD Tippowati. Mids were salughtered and our backs were just woeful. No plan, so system, slow, no movement.

I watched from up high for the first time in a while and you could see it all unfolding in slow motion.

Joe Daniher is a complete flogger. And he is the ugliest football player in the comp. Even Dunn's mo was better than his.

In fact I think the only player to win his position was Kennedy.

And the maggots were unbelievably inconsistent and made under 12 type errors.

We are [censored] clueless.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Melbourne FC@melbournefc 4m4 minutes ago

Roos: I thought Lumumba's effort to come back in was good. I thought playing him was the right move and playing Brayshaw was the wrong one.

Then why didn't we make a late selection.. FMD! Stretch is fit and firing and would have added run and dash. But no we go for a slow inside mid that hardly got a touch.

Really Paul?

He was hopeless. Got caught and delivered shizen passes to team mates under pressure for most of the day. Brought in for his 'leadership and speed'. What a joke.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, P-man said:

King had to be heard to be believed.

He admitted at one point that he was "half barracking" for Essendon. Giggled after every Bombers goal. Almost exclusively commentated on what Essendon was doing, good or bad. And to top it off, stated "we believe in Joe" in his summation at half time.

I've never heard more one sided tv commentary, ever. Dwayne included. And it's Essendon ffs. King must really, truly hate Melbourne.

Don't think he hates Melbourne. Certainly doesn't respect us. But he really does hate Paul Roos. I think he's worried Roos will take his spot on the couch.

Not surprised. But very disappointed poor game, 

still have not seen Garland play well. Don't know when I will get back this year so we will probably win a couple. My usual luck with Melbourne

the problem with Hogan is that he has had things going to well for him, he has not had to do much more than stand there an mark it for a lot of his limited career, its just he is going to end up double and triple tagged a lot more which means he needs to do more, until the contest is dead he needs to do an oliver, see ball get ball. and only stop when he hears a whistle, not stop and look/plead for a whistle.

• Like 3

It's the same problem we've had for 10 years.

there is no legitimate pride about the club from the players or coaches. We just reek of professionals happy to go through the motions and be ok at their job but not willing to put in the effort or do what it takes to actually be good.

Spiritless club still.

• Like 2