Fox Footy Roundtable - Melbourne

4 hours ago, binman said:

Totally agree on all points. For me it just reinforces how simplistic the views of so many footy commentators are. Hutchy rabbited on about the Roos defense mantra last night on FC, basically saying it was not possible for him to adapt.  

Roos had a strategy (ugly football as Demitriou famously called it) that as about maximizing the chances of winning a grand final. He won one and nearly won another. It was a strategy in a time and place and other clubs used a variation of it.

It is an insult to Roos to suggest he is not capable of adapting his approach. As you say Roos is a thinker, he'll recognise what needs to be done to win. In fact this exactly what he has done. He recognised the need for us to score more but was also aware the dees first needed to stop leaking goals. Winning is his priority not defense.

Interestingly in the HUN article yesterday Roos made the point that all the MFC coaches had aggression at the ball carrier and strong defense as cornerstones of their coaching philosophies.  Attcak built on defense. In essence he was saying they were all on the same page.

They are lunkhead former players who took several blows to the noggin and now their job is to wear and suit and talk. What do we expect? Oh look here is a stat about players wearing odd numbers vs even numbers let me predict the premiership based on that. Dheads.

One point i will make is that Craig Jennings is not getting enough credit in the media, i have no doubt he has been every bit as influential as Goody or Macca in the improvement we've seen so far this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter Griffen said:

One point i will make is that Craig Jennings is not getting enough credit in the media, i have no doubt he has been every bit as influential as Goody or Macca in the improvement we've seen so far this year.

who's craig jennings?........oh, i see what you mean :lol:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I love Paul Roos.

"Ron, are you just looking at coaches and saying you love them or do you actually love Paul Roos?"

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Peter Griffen said:

Shhhh don't tell anyone!

Just watched the 1st half of the 1973 Grand Final on Fox Footy.....Carlton vs Richmond........Wow The game has changed so much.

The skills were deplorable......They had the centre "Diamond"......One field umpire........All kicks from kick outs were torps

Everyone just kicked to packs in the centre corridor.....15 metre penalties.......Passionate Goal Umpires........Hardly any handballs.

The commentators were great....Just called the action...Got the names rights and no in depth about what should have happened....No special comments.

I grew up playing and watching, and thought that VFL footy was fantastic, but looking back, the modern game with the skills beats the hell out of it. 

It was interesting watching Walls, Nichols, Percy Jones vs Clay, Bourke, Hunt, Balme.

P.S.    Didn't want to start a new thread, so put it here.      

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Peter Griffen said:

Brad Johnson talked him up mentioning that he was behind the doggies ball movement last year.

• Like 1

An excellent, objective article on Roos' 2 years at mfc.  While other (not so smart) commentators are calling for Roos to stand aside Carro praises Roos for the achievements, many invisible to those outside the club. 

AFL Season 2016: Paul Roos' legacy should not be questioned

On the call to hand the reins to Goodwin, Roos says:  "I don't worry too much about it," said Roos. "If anything, I see it as a positive that we're on the right track. The initial commentary was 'Why doesn't he stay for longer?' Then it was 'This won't work.' Now I see it as a big tick for a lot of people here, for Josh (Mahoney), for Peter (Jackson), for Simon and for the longer-term platform we're building."

Looking back, Roos initially pledged to hand over the reins to a promoted and ultimately ready-made coach. He aimed to build a list capable of playing finals and promised to lead the building of a culture of self-belief and stability along with setting a new behavioural standard.

Roos would be the first to acknowledge the transformation has been a team effort but I'm sure if he had not been our coach we would not be anywhere near where we are today. 

Everyone walked taller the moment he stepped in the door.  If (when) our club becomes a 'Destination Club' that reputation will be on the back of what Roos has built.  Sure Roos has made some mistakes but on any measure I rate his 2 years (yes, only 2 years) a resounding success and as Carro says "...his legacy should not be questioned".
  • Like 4

Anyone who questions the importance of Roos' work over the past 2 seasons, was obviously asleep the previous 6 seasons.

We were on the brink of extinction. Look at us now. Just two years and we are a different club. 

We owe as much to Roos and Jackson as we do to any other person in the history of this club. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

An excellent, objective article on Roos' 2 years at mfc.  While other (not so smart) commentators are calling for Roos to stand aside Carro praises Roos for the achievements, many invisible to those outside the club. 

AFL Season 2016: Paul Roos' legacy should not be questioned

On the call to hand the reins to Goodwin, Roos says:  "I don't worry too much about it," said Roos. "If anything, I see it as a positive that we're on the right track. The initial commentary was 'Why doesn't he stay for longer?' Then it was 'This won't work.' Now I see it as a big tick for a lot of people here, for Josh (Mahoney), for Peter (Jackson), for Simon and for the longer-term platform we're building."

Looking back, Roos initially pledged to hand over the reins to a promoted and ultimately ready-made coach. He aimed to build a list capable of playing finals and promised to lead the building of a culture of self-belief and stability along with setting a new behavioural standard.

Roos would be the first to acknowledge the transformation has been a team effort but I'm sure if he had not been our coach we would not be anywhere near where we are today. 

Everyone walked taller the moment he stepped in the door.  If (when) our club becomes a 'Destination Club' that reputation will be on the back of what Roos has built.  Sure Roos has made some mistakes but on any measure I rate his 2 years (yes, only 2 years) a resounding success and as Carro says "...his legacy should not be questioned".

In spite of which there are some who still question his right to coach the team this year.

Go figure?

• Like 1

I think the most disappointing thing about the calls for Goodwin are more to do with them nabbing headlines and making their profile bigger than truly believing or investigating the worth of their statements. Similar to the Ox's comments about hogan where a little bit of research would've told him his accuracy is not that bad. 

Caro might not be liked by some but she does more research in one article than the likes of King and Robbo would've done over their entire careers. 

Wonderful piece from Carro but she does have form. Like the time she wrote a glowing article on Cameron Schwab and his capabilities as an administrator only to come back a while later to royally stick the boots into him. 

There are some journos who quite happily do the bidding of AFL HQ. If I were Roosy, I would start watching my back.

• Like 1

The thing that baffles me is how the media seem to think that if Goodwin is coach we play attacking footy, if Roosy is coach we chip it around and it's not a plan they have worked on together. 

the best thing about the club right now is they seem to be united in what they're trying to do, i have no doubt we'd see the same game style regardless of who sits in the hot seat, because that's what the players have been training to do.

• Like 2

Nor should the influence of Seve Ballesteros on young cadets at the Age.